"The Road" release date + review + TRAILER

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

the dvd rip leaked.

phenomenal film, btw

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Saw this on dvd this week.

Thought it was pretty good, although bleak as fuck as everyone has already said.

I fucking hated the kid, I wanted him to die about 5 minutes in. I understand he was our humanity personified (if that makes sense), but he was a top notch pussy for someone who had lived in that environment his ENTIRE life. Viggo was excellent here. I really feel he's unfairly slept on sometimes, but he's a legitimately great actor I think. The other actors (other than the kid obviously) also did well.

The art direction was amazing, they did such a phenomenal job of creating the world. Very easy to fall right into the story. Kudos to those people who made it happen.

I did feel the ending was pretty predictable. You never felt like the end of the road would bring some sort of salvation at any time, and you knew Viggo was gonna die as well.

This movie just didn't resonate with me. The darkness of it didn't help, but I do appreciate them trying to make a serious apocalypse movie. It's sort of hard to put my finger on as I generally love post-apocalyptic stories, but I think the kid really took me out of it. Not a terrible movie at all, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again either.

6.5 outta 10
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

finally watched this last night, i read the book when it was released and loved it, really enjoyed this too

thought the lil kid did alright, was annoying a couple times but didn't make me hate him, Viggo killed it like always, Duvalls short but sweet performance was great

did a great job with making the world seem dead

the scene where Omar gets his clothes takin was gut-wrenching, forgot that part from the book

lookin forward to Hillcoats next flick

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

nowhere near as much enjoyed as The Proposition, but still a good flick

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Truth. wrote: lookin forward to Hillcoats next flick
Word on the street is that he's the newest director attached to the much aligned Le Cercle Rouge remake.

http://criterioncast.com/2010/05/31/le- ... to-direct/

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'm not holding my breath on that one until i actually see a trailer

but assuming it does go through it's a good idea, Hillcoat may even be a slightly better fit. To has shown a nearly religious devotion to Melville, which is cool when he applies it to his own work but might ultimately make a Melville remake redundant as it might end up too close to the original. Hillcoat's style on the other hand is much grittier and nihilistic, so he might put a new spin on things by taking the story into a darker territory while eschewing the romantic/mythological aspects of French noir.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I think Hillcoat is a rather inspired selection for director. Although I am becoming a bigger fan of Johnnie To after every movie of his that I see. I'm sure his take would be excellent, but he's never directed an English language film yet and he might be better of cutting his chops on something with a lesser pedigree to live up to.

I'm just glad its not John Woo anymore.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:i'm not holding my breath on that one until i actually see a trailer

but assuming it does go through it's a good idea, Hillcoat may even be a slightly better fit. To has shown a nearly religious devotion to Melville, which is cool when he applies it to his own work but might ultimately make a Melville remake redundant as it might end up too close to the original. Hillcoat's style on the other hand is much grittier and nihilistic, so he might put a new spin on things by taking the story into a darker territory while eschewing the romantic/mythological aspects of French noir.
'

this. I think a remake is fucking retarded, but I'm down with this.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Woo needs to keep to the historical epic/wuxia thing, i feel like there's promising things for him there. doing something like this remake would be a huge regression. Anything he could feasibly squeeze out of Le Samourai and Le Circle Rouge he already jammed into The Killer 20+ years ago.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

alpha

Post by alpha »

just had to be a black guy.

hustler

Post by hustler »

i havnt watched this yet and havnt read the book, but it seems like the kind of movie where i would crack up and laugh at some really serious emotional poignant momments in the film, and piss everyone off in the theater. il watch the rip and let u guys know what i think, but im going into this expecting to be calling out this lil kid as a bitchboy numerous times throughout the film.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I enjoyed this a lot. not as much as the book but that was to be expected. the part with omar was :owens:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I finally got to watch this and it was alright. Viggo is the man though. i thought the pacing of the movie made it boring. I read the book in about the same amount of time as the movie runs. Like odium said, the book was way better, but that is to be expected.