Home Theater System recommendations

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Jayou Ayen

Home Theater System recommendations

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I know this is the type of thread that belongs in Funky Techicians, but I wanted to know what the CYE guys who are serious about movies would recommend.

I just mounted a 50" Samsung on the wall of a small living room (10 x 18).
They sell those blu-ray systems at places like Best Buy and Costco that have everything, but I don't know if the bass can be adjusted separately.

Years ago, I hooked up a decent system for my dad. I used a Denon surround sound receiver and a JBL 5 channel speaker system with a 8" sub that had separate level controls.
I'd love to do something like that again, but the shit would be pretty expensive.

What do you have, or want for your home theater?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

The systems you buy in the box, suck balls compared to buying individual pieces. The system in a box though is way cheaper. Basically you pay for what you get.

I have an Onkyo receiver and average components as far as speakers go. The Onkyo is the best receiver I have owned so far. Does a hell of a job.

This is the one I have:

TX-SR606

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I got the full blu ray system with a 60 inch tv from best buy for around 3-4gs last year. I really fucking love it. The TV is the one that has the motion intelligence that copies frames and so there is no blur. Watching the Dark Knight you feel like you are watching the dailies or are on set watching them do that shit live. It's a weird feeling, especially when stone.d

citizen

Post by citizen »

good places to check include avs forum and blu-ray.com, lots of expertise there, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend and what features you want, the level of quality you are expecting, and how many inputs you need

you might read lots of people saying that the new hi-def surround codecs are much better than than standard dolby digital, some people say that 7.1 is so much better than 5.1, and so on, so really its all subjective in the end but theres a lot of terminilogy to grasp and physics to understand about home theater

as mentioned above onkyo makes great entry level receivers, you can check places like vanns.com, or accessories4less to get great deals on separate speakers, refurb reveivers, and monoprice.com is the only place to go for cables

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Your best bet is to bring your favorite CD/Blue-Ray to a home theater store and have them demo different systems for you. It's also a good idea to measure your room (height/width/length) before you go. The size and nature of the room makes a big difference.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

if you want a great place to read about everything go to this site:

http://www.avsforum.com/

Very knowledgeable people and great reviews on products. I always read that forum before I buy shit to see what they say about it.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Seiko Flossberg wrote:Your best bet is to bring your favorite CD/Blue-Ray to a home theater store and have them demo different systems for you. It's also a good idea to measure your room (height/width/length) before you go. The size and nature of the room makes a big difference.
home theatre stores are hard to come by these days plus you have to factor in that the accoustics of the room will not be the same as your home which can make a huge difference

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Unless you're a HARDCORE audiophile, just buy a quality out-the-box system. You have to be a serious film fag or a professionally trained sound engineer to pick out the problems in the myriad selections of high-end, ready-to-go entertainment systems.

Seiko Flossberg

Post by Seiko Flossberg »

Citizen, I suppose it depends on where one lives, but I doubt Jayou will have any problems finding a high-end store in SF.

I would never buy a TV or audio equipment without having it demoed first.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Shyste502

Post by Shyste502 »

Truth. wrote:i got this, it's very good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882120143

t
I have the same thing, you really can't beat the quality for the price, not even close.

I added this to it

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2
because the wire that comes with it is thin and cheap

Wise Cracker

Post by Wise Cracker »

This thread is full of terrible opinions.

If you don't get a shitty HTIB spend the bulk of your budget on speakers. Most people overspend on electronics.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Wise Cracker wrote:This thread is full of terrible opinions.

If you don't get a shitty HTIB spend the bulk of your budget on speakers. Most people overspend on electronics.
Spending an absurd amount on speakers isn't the answer either. You can spend thousands of dollars on speakers, but if the source audio is shit from a crappy receiver it is going to sound like shit.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Employee wrote:Unless you're a HARDCORE audiophile, just buy a quality out-the-box system. You have to be a serious film fag or a professionally trained sound engineer to pick out the problems in the myriad selections of high-end, ready-to-go entertainment systems.
I agree with this

I bought a $700 Yamaha HTIB 3 or 4 years ago which was just a 5.1 setup: speakers, sub, and a receiver. It sounds great, and it can get fucking LOUD. I dont really need anything more than that, especially considering my living room is small. Maybe if I had like, an actual theater in my house, I would upgrade

Wise Cracker

Post by Wise Cracker »

Andvil, don't let emps gay rub off on you.

Wise Cracker

Post by Wise Cracker »

Random Sample wrote:
Wise Cracker wrote:This thread is full of terrible opinions.

Spending an absurd amount on speakers isn't the answer either. You can spend thousands of dollars on speakers, but if the source audio is shit from a crappy receiver it is going to sound like shit.
The fuck are you talking about? Who told anybody to spend an absurd amount on speakers and a crappy receiver? And please explain "source audio" to me? Thx.