Armond White: RE Afterlife is superior to Inception & Av

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Gregg Popabitch

Armond White: RE Afterlife is superior to Inception & Av

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

http://www.nypress.com/article-21623-ba ... arama.html

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Directed by Paul W.S. Anderson
Runtime: 97 min.

Sometimes directors grab an opportunity just to stretch their filmmaking muscles. That explains both Mark Romanekג€™s new venture, Never Let Me Go, and why Paul W.S. Anderson has essayed Resident Evil: Afterlife, his second movie in the Resident Evil series, which he initiated with the fantastically swift, streamlined and compelling original film in 2002.
In Afterlife, Anderson confirms his astonishing gift for imagery and frighteningly good action craft. Despite the grim, pessimistic CapCom video game premise where Alice (Milla Jovovich) fights a constantly mutating, globe-threatening virusג€”like Ripley always battling those aliensג€”Anderson finds ways to depict apocalyptic scenarios that actually suggest foresight. They have a stylish, sharp-witted sense of the future and a dreamy, exciting faith in human resilience embodied in Jovovichג€™s lithe, resourceful, strikingly lovely Alice, as well as a group of survivors that include actors Boris Kodjoe and Ali Larter.

If critics and fanboys werenג€™t suckers for simplistic nihilism and high-pressure marketing, Afterlife would be universally acclaimed as a visionary feat, superior to Inception and Avatar on every level. Just look at how Anderson activates his canvas in the plane crash sequence. First, the shock of the crash is solarized in a wide shot, then he cuts to the interior where the imagery is frozen yet the camera pans left, moving through suspended time, characters and objects, all composed in perfect pop-art balance like a James Rosenquist panorama, and then the camera pivotsג€”and in 3-D.

Anderson redeems that techno-gimmick which James Cameron foolishly hawks as a gateway to new perception because he realizes itג€™s just a play thing, not a New Age talisman. Anderson toys with 3-D for artistic caprice, constantly shifting levels, distance, perspective, layers. Heג€™s a clear-eyed visionary who expiates videogame cynicism, insisting on imaginative potential. When Alice is resurrected from her android state (ג€œThank you for making me humanג€), it confirms Andersonג€™s ingenuity as a life force.
Afterlife opens with deceptively dark movie homages to Demyג€™s Umbrellas of Cherbourg, plus teasing riffs on Hitchcockג€™s The Birds, Terminator, even The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when Jovovich and Larter team up to facedown a terrifying male behemothג€”itג€™s a stunning bad bitcharama. Anderson never got the respect he deserved for his great Death Race. But now that opportunityג€™s knocked again, he knocks it into the stratosphere.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Worst troll ever.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

After.Life?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Worst troll ever.
I haven't seen a Resident Evil since the 2nd one, but I know he's full of shit.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

21% on Rottentomatoes. LOL.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

RT ratings means dick to me. That being said, I really doubt he has an argument here.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

WHAT UP ITHE?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Anderson redeems that techno-gimmick which James Cameron foolishly hawks as a gateway to new perception because he realizes itג€™s just a play thing, not a New Age talisman

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Spartan wrote:
Anderson redeems that techno-gimmick which James Cameron foolishly hawks as a gateway to new perception because he realizes itג€™s just a play thing, not a New Age talisman

:rofl: .....plus cameron didn't use it for more than just a play thing either. It's not like he made some great amazing art piece, he made an action film with blue people.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

can't stand faggots who get off on being different

WE GET IT, ARMOND. YOU HAVE UNPOPULAR OPINIONS.
Nets 2022

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Can we just get this over with and anoint White as the worst critic in the history of film criticism? His reviews are barely even tangentially about what he's watching, it's just boring fucking narcissistic shtick. He's done a couple good things for sure, but suffers from serious broken clock syndrome