Favorite Spanish(-language) Films?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Favorite Spanish(-language) Films?

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The Spanish have a really interesting way of telling stories. Often with many layers and a really unique sense of humor and obviously a lot of fly women.

What are your favorite Spanish-language films? I was mostly thinking of Spanish films but let's widen the scope to all things Spanish-speaking.

Open Your Eyes

Tesis

A Tale of Ham and Passion
(has Penelope Cruz underage nudity lol)

Anguish

Maria Full of Grace

And Your Mother

Sex & Lucia

Between Your Legs

REC

All About My Mother

Matador

Live Flesh

Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakdown (best title ever)

There's a lot more good Almodovar probably but I can't remember the other I've seen very well.

Satan's Blood

Bloody Moon

That's all I can think of right now.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Dan

Post by Dan »

The Sea Inside

aleph

Post by aleph »

A lot of his Mexican films: Los Olvidados, Susana, Stairway to Heaven, The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz, Viridiana, Exterminating Angel.

Speaking of Victoria Abril. And featuring a riper Maribel Verdu.

Alex Cox is obviously not Mexican nor Spanish in any way but he does them justice.

Crazy musical melodrama.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies ever. The other two of Del Toro's "spanish" trilogy are great as well (Devil's Backbone, Cronos).

Also,

Comedy Quaddafi

Timecrimes of course dunno how I forgot it. Didn't like Intacto though.

And I need to catch up with Bunuel some day.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Has anyone seen La habitaci

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

pan's labyrinth

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I've been trying to hunt down the movie The Baby's Room for a while now. Heard great things about it from a friend of mine and I was gutted I didn't catch it on TV last year. It's only available in some expensive box set as far as I'm aware. Hopefully it gets a single disc release some day.

Modern Spanish flicks I really like:

Managed to finally catch this and see it all. Great film.

Older stuff:

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

and

which had a huge influence on del Toro and Pan's Labyrinth in particular.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

pretty much any santo movie in general, but that's my favorite of the ones i've seen

aside from that, anything in spanish by bunuel, jodorowski, arrabal, del torro and iglesias is ok by me

was El Mariachi in spanish? throw that on the pile

i really want to dig into the lowbudget mexican narcomafia stuff, been curious about this whole subgenre for ages and the recent vice article had some interesting pointers
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Image
I went to a party with my wife and I was the only one that wasn't speaking spanish. They threw this movie on and I loved it.

This movie is pretty good for comedy. Two brothers from small town get signed by a soccer club and get impressed by everything. Gael Garcia's I Want You To Want Me cover song is pretty hillarious.
Watching this in the next couple days. Columbian crime movie. Sign me the fuck up!
Last edited by T Rav on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy my mixtape.

Post by 360 »

El topo and Dr. Tarr's torture dungeon come to mind since they haven't been listed, even though drizzle said jordowski.

El topo is just so fucking awesome though it deserves to be said twice.

Dee el Hugely

Post by Dee el Hugely »

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

I've seen Habla Con Ella, Pan's Labyrinth, Y Tu Mama Tambien, and Timecrimes. Liked all of them. One of the better con films not mentioned yet:

Nine Queens

Post by 360 »

Not sure why I said Dr. Tarr's. I'm dumb

Fuckin' A

Post by Fuckin' A »

360 wrote:El topo and Dr. Tarr's torture dungeon come to mind since they haven't been listed, even though drizzle said jordowski.

Three times since I mentioned it first. The Holy Mountain is worth checking out too, but I'd watch El Topo first.

Comedy Quaddafi

I got Santa Sangre because of the Argento affiliation partly. Reading descriptions of other Jorodowski movies make them seem a bit too weird for my liking but I'll probably get around to seeing them if I like Santa Sangre.

BTW this is better than anything I mentioned initially, possibly. Watch it.

- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Interested to hear your thoughts on Santa Sangre. I personally think it's alright but nothing spectacular or anything. I'm a bit miffed by it being labelled as "horror" when it's nothing of the sort to me.

Sin Nombre is a film I really want to check out but never had the opportunity.

Comedy Quaddafi

I haven't seen Sin Nombre but there's also Los Sin Nombre by the REC director (not sure if that was the one you meant) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222368/ It grew on me after I was initially let down by the conclusion. It's actually pretty well thought-out. EDIT: he also did Fragile which I didn't like much.
- MB

Thun

Post by Thun »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I haven't seen Sin Nombre but there's also Los Sin Nombre by the REC director (not sure if that was the one you meant) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222368/ It grew on me after I was initially let down by the conclusion. It's actually pretty well thought-out. EDIT: he also did Fragile which I didn't like much.
Different film. Sin Nombre is about a kid trying t escape the gang life in El Salvador. Probably a lot better than the film you're talking about, or at least 90% less gay.

Comedy Quaddafi

Yeah? I enquired whether he meant Los Sin Nombre, considering Spartan likes REC. Didn't mean it as a dig against the other movie it's probably good. Los Sin Nombre is a pretty intelligent thriller IMO, far from gay although not perfect.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I was referring to this

From executive producers Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna comes Sin Nombre, the breathtaking debut thriller from writer/director Cary Fukunaga. An unflinching tale of loyalty and redemption set against the harsh backdrop of modern Mexico, Sin Nombre interweaves two parallel stories; the first dealing the struggles of Sayra (Paulina Gaitan), a beautiful Honduran woman desperately trying to escape to America with her family, the second following Casper (Edgar Flores), a tough gang member placed in an impossible situation when a violent retaliation turns his gang against him. As Sayra and Casper s paths cross on a train leading out of the country, with the gang in hot pursuit, they must rely on each other if any of them are to make it through alive. Recipient of the Best Director and Best Cinematography Awards at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival and the Skillset New Director's Award at the 2009 Edinburgh Film Festival, Sin Nombre marks the emergence of a startling new voice in Latin American cinema.
Although Jaume Balaguer

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Fuckin' A wrote:
360 wrote:El topo and Dr. Tarr's torture dungeon come to mind since they haven't been listed, even though drizzle said jordowski.

Three times since I mentioned it first. The Holy Mountain is worth checking out too, but I'd watch El Topo first.
i'd put those two at about equal. there are some incredible vignettes in holy mountain and a great ending, but overall it doesn't flow that smoothly. el topo is great for the first 2/3s but fall off a little toward the end.

santa sagre is pretty good too, but not as good as these two. when it was made the ending was probably much more effective, now it feels a little cliche since its been done in several well known movies.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Yeah? I enquired whether he meant Los Sin Nombre, considering Spartan likes REC. Didn't mean it as a dig against the other movie it's probably good. Los Sin Nombre is a pretty intelligent thriller IMO, far from gay although not perfect.
I'm just fucking with you, though. But yeah, Sin Nombre is a great flick and it's on Netflix Instant if you get down like that.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Spartan wrote:I was referring to this

From executive producers Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna comes Sin Nombre, the breathtaking debut thriller from writer/director Cary Fukunaga. An unflinching tale of loyalty and redemption set against the harsh backdrop of modern Mexico, Sin Nombre interweaves two parallel stories; the first dealing the struggles of Sayra (Paulina Gaitan), a beautiful Honduran woman desperately trying to escape to America with her family, the second following Casper (Edgar Flores), a tough gang member placed in an impossible situation when a violent retaliation turns his gang against him. As Sayra and Casper s paths cross on a train leading out of the country, with the gang in hot pursuit, they must rely on each other if any of them are to make it through alive. Recipient of the Best Director and Best Cinematography Awards at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival and the Skillset New Director's Award at the 2009 Edinburgh Film Festival, Sin Nombre marks the emergence of a startling new voice in Latin American cinema.
I saw this. I really enjoyed it.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Anybody into Arturo Ripstein? What's good by him?

aleph

Post by aleph »

Carlos Reygadas

I didn't like Japon, so I didn't see this one. Now I'm having second thoughts, having liked Silent Light. Plus this babe needs investigating even if the guy is repulsive. Recommended?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

might as well drop this in here, trailer for Iglesias' Last Circus, looks phenomenal

<object width="650" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-tf-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="650" height="366"></embed></object>

hell0maryjane

Post by hell0maryjane »

sex y lucia wins. abre los ojos (open your eyes) is a veryyy a close second.

volver is a good movie but def a chick flick. no tits.

just seen non ti muovere (don't move) recently. its an italian foreign film about some guy that cheats on his wife and falls in love with penelope cruz ... after raping her a few times