The Horror Movie Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Spartan wrote:Tina's death and her body being dragged in the first ANOES. Part 3 has the "welcome to primetime, bitch" kill which I also love.

Buxom nurse getting her face boiled by Haddonfield Raised Mikey in halloween part 2 is dope. Interesting how his hands are scolded and he still carries on.

Wheelchair guy in f13 has a great death. The double penetration kill is also awesome. I like the dude who gets his eyes mangled by Jason with the leather strap in part 5 the best. Yeah I said it.
I remember laying on the carpet at the end of the hall and watching the scene where Jason makes the RV flip and he comes out the door with his arms up terrifying me as a little guy.

I recently came up on a pretty cool dvd for a couple dollars. "Mad Rons Previews From Hell" Just a compilation of 70s Grindhouse trailers really but a decent buffer if you want to scan through it and decide what you want to track down.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oPkWxpFRQk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4oPkWxpFRQk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlffP1c6a1o?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jlffP1c6a1o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

kato

Post by kato »

<object width="600" height="338"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-bd-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-bd-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="338"></embed></object>

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Can't see what the vid you've embedded is, kato. Is it this?

UK trailer for John Carpenter's The Ward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrnTbLRmMA&sns=em

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Killer artwork for Arrow's upcoming blu ray of Fulci's The Beyond.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Spartan wrote:Killer artwork for Arrow's upcoming blu ray of Fulci's The Beyond.

:bow:

I was on Rick Melton's website earlier this week actually, mainly because I'm absolutely in love with his cover art for Inferno. He's really been killing shit with the covers he's done for Arrow. I am probably going to buy prints of the Inferno and Phenomena ones he did. He has a really awesome Christopher Lee painting I might buy a print of too.
I really, really love his cover for Silent Night, Deadly Night as well but I dont' think I could get away with that one hanging on my walls.

His website:
www.stunninglysavage.com

He sells numbered and signed prints there for only like

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Spartan wrote:Killer artwork for Arrow's upcoming blu ray of Fulci's The Beyond.

:bow:

I was on Rick Melton's website earlier this week actually, mainly because I'm absolutely in love with his cover art for Inferno. He's really been killing shit with the covers he's done for Arrow. I am probably going to buy prints of the Inferno and Phenomena ones he did. He has a really awesome Christopher Lee painting I might buy a print of too.
I really, really love his cover for Silent Night, Deadly Night as well but I dont' think I could get away with that one hanging on my walls.

His website:
www.stunninglysavage.com

He sells numbered and signed prints there for only like

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Anybody got a link or insight on dark ride and the human centipede or see no evil? Anything else to reccomend in that horror arena of movies that flew under the radar?

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I tried sitting through the Human Centipede three times. Couldn't make it all the way through. I kept falling asleep. It's just...slow...maybe deliberately so. And theres nowhere near enough gore/interesting killings to keep my attention.

That said, I'll probably check for the sequel, if just to see the logistics of more people being sewn ass to mouth.

Anyway, I was looking up some stuff on David Hess earlier and saw he's going to be in a remake of The Driller Killer (1979). So I read up on it, and it looks like my kinda thing. A dude in 1970s NYC loses his shit and goes around killing homeless people with a power drill. Anyone see it? Am I exposing my horror new jackness by asking about a well known flick here? It's not yet available on Netflix.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ not really. It's barely even a horror to me, more of a cult psychodrama by the underrated Abel Ferrara who also stars in this debut movie of his. I think it's kick ass but don't expect a lot of killings right away as you have to see his madness rising first, it's done really well though or at least I think so. No idea if you'll like it.

edit: Hess is a perfect choice for the remake. He even looks like Ferrara.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Thanks for the info. I'll check it if only to have a reference for the remake, which I'll watch just to see David Hess in something again.

Comedy Quaddafi

I saw in the purchase thread that Tommy got the Hess hitch-hiker movie with Franco Nero too. That has to be good.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's a notorious video nasty made by Abel Ferrera. Got to admit, I'm not a fan.

Blessingindisguise - for something under the radar how about Dead Silence or some old school entertainment like Superstition is really enjoyable.

I know youre into old slashers like me here's some lesser mentioned ones:

Girls Nite Out (aka The Scaremaker)
Cheerleader Camp
Eyes Of A Stranger
Silent Scream
Sweet Sixteen (very slow movie)
Tourist Trap
Don't Go In The House
Just Before Dawn
Night School
Final Exam
Hell Night
Madman
Visiting Hours
Pieces
The Initiation

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I saw in the purchase thread that Tommy got the Hess hitch-hiker movie with Franco Nero too. That has to be good.
It is good but it's more of a road movie thriller more than anything else. Both Nero & Hess are a treat to watch to see who is the biggest douche in the film.

Comedy Quaddafi

Better than Rabid Dogs by Bava?
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Sylissez wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll check it if only to have a reference for the remake, which I'll watch just to see David Hess in something again.
Worth watching House On The Edge Of The Park to see Hess at almost Krug levels.

I watched the more recent movie Smash Cut with Hess. It's very silly but and self aware. With the exception of Sasha Grey, everyone is just joke acting.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Better than Rabid Dogs by Bava?
I know you didnt like Rabid Dogs as much as i did, but if I had to pick which one I preferred it would be Rabid Dogs over Hitchhike.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Spartan wrote:
Sylissez wrote:Thanks for the info. I'll check it if only to have a reference for the remake, which I'll watch just to see David Hess in something again.
Worth watching House On The Edge Of The Park to see Hess at almost Krug levels.

I watched the more recent movie Smash Cut with Hess. It's very silly but and self aware. With the exception of Sasha Grey, everyone is just joke acting.
Cool. Bumped House to the top of my Netflix que. Thanks.

Comedy Quaddafi

The good thing about HOTEOTP is that it's not that offensive or uncomfortable so it's not a complete buzzkill for an entertaining evening.

I just read what I wrote about Rabid Dogs, I sound fairly unconvinced which is weird since I remember liking it a lot. Sometimes it takes a while to let the quality of movies sink in maybe.
- MB

kato

Post by kato »

Spartan wrote:Can't see what the vid you've embedded is, kato. Is it this?

UK trailer for John Carpenter's The Ward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrnTbLRmMA&sns=em
yes it is

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Just finished watching F.

The trailer does a bad job of selling this film. Very much a cross between Ils and the Cold Prey franchise. It's a very short film less than 80 mins in fact and a little contrived at the start but it all leads to a pleasant watching experience with an unexpected dilemma style ending. David Schofield is great as the shell shocked teacher. Don't think I've seen any campus based slashers with as much suspense and tension as this one. Very moody and cold looking film. Liked this quite a lot.
Spartan wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Funny that Britain's new horror-icon is hooded kids, says a lot about the zeitgeist there perhaps.

Yeah, the UK media love the shit out of the whole psycho kiddie hysteria, that always makes the front page in the tabloids. Probably why Eden Lake got a good reception. I mentioned in a couple of earlier posts I have doubts over this movie, especially the awful "hoodie horror" tag. Coincidentally, this is the second killer kiddie flick with an actress that was a regular on Hollyoaks.

Here's a trailer for F (with sound this time)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9q71ibercHM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen"
value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess"value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9q71ibercHM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

kato

Post by kato »

Passed up on "F" because of trailer myself. Will give it a go.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah it's definitely worth watching. Has a real sinister vibe and mysterious edge to it compared to most other movies associated with killer kiddies.

Comedy Quaddafi

I'm trying to catch up to some modern British horror. Just saw Triangle last night and Christopher Smith is 4/4. Creep was a decent debut, Severance was hilarious to me, Traingle was a decent little timeloop mindfuck movie that I think of as a creative visual metaphor more than anything else and Black Death is a modern classic probably.

Was 28 Weeks Later good? Marshall recently talked about an idea for 28 Months Later and now hes trying to pitch it.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The plot for 28 Weeks Later was poor. Not a fan to be honest, it might be because it didn't live up to my high expectations. The action scenes however, particularly the finale were decent. Quite a lot of folks seem to really like the film so you never know, it's worth having a look.

A decent modern Brit horror that doesn't get much love is Mum & Dad. Very down beat and twisted with some great performances. The ending is an obvious cop out however.

Colin is also worth a look at least for the fact it was made with a budget of less than

kato

Post by kato »

I didn't mind 28 Weeks Later...

I agree it was somewhat of a let down at first...But it's a bit better after a second viewing.

I really like the opening scene where Don is leaves his wife behind and all the zombie's are chasing him to the river.

Comedy Quaddafi

I'll watch both Mum & Dad and 28 Weeks at some point.

Just saw F and I thought it was really good too. The end was a great experiment but they might end up pissing off the people who they were marketing it to, because going by the trailer it looks a bit like a genre-movie mainly for teens. Not my concern so fuck it, I thought the ghostly villains were cool and their tendency to crawl on top of lockers was spooky. Great acting from our lead. Could have used just a little more on-screen violence since they went pretty far in showing the gory bodies anyway.

Also saw Ravenous, cannibal movie from 1999 with Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle who were perfect in their roles. Damon Albarn (sp) from Blur did a cool trippy folk soundtrack. There's lots of quotables and dark humor in it too. Recommended as well.

UK horror has been pretty good in the last decade although France completely took the spotlight. France didn't actually do a whole lot of horror movies which just makes it even more impressive, can't think of a shitty one and I've watched every post-millenium horror they did by now. I feel like I should mention a few that aren't up there with the very best that usually get mentioned (Martyrs, Ils, Haute Tension, Frontiere(s), Calvaire).

Mutants
Malefique
Eden Log
They Came Back
In The Woods
Vinyan
In Their Sleep
With A Friend Like Harry (mostly a thriller but a good one)
Sheitan (watch it for Vincent Cassell)

All wins.
- MB

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I love Ravenous.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Just saw F and I thought it was really good too. The end was a great experiment but they might end up pissing off the people who they were marketing it to, because going by the trailer it looks a bit like a genre-movie mainly for teens. Not my concern so fuck it, I thought the ghostly villains were cool and their tendency to crawl on top of lockers was spooky. Great acting from our lead. Could have used just a little more on-screen violence since they went pretty far in showing the gory bodies anyway.
I felt the restraint on the violence was a nice touch. The jump from cornered victim to fucked up corpse, let's your imagination run riot with what happens in between.

Secondly, I agree with your thoughts on David Schofield's performance. He really made that film for me.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

A couple of trailers. Can finally embed again.

Here's John Carpenter's The Ward

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWrnTbLRmMA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWrnTbLRmMA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wes Craven's Scream 4

<object width="600" height="250"><param name="movie" value="http://ictv-bd-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://ictv-bd-ec.indieclicktv.com/play ... player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="600" height="250"></embed></object>

Rubber
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/joI-uU86NXw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/joI-uU86NXw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Also

A pretty good article on I Spit On Your Grave including it's remake.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... your-grave
I was wrong about I Spit On Your Grave
The rape-revenge horror I Spit on Your Grave is less exploitative than sentimental fantasies about justice
Julie Bindel

There was a time, in the early 80s, when I seemed to be on a picket every week. One of the best was that against the Leeds cinema at which "video nasties" were being screened ג€“ the worst of which, we feminists argued, was I Spit on Your Grave (ISOYG), a rape-revenge-horror movie depicting the violent sexual torture of a young woman. "Rape is not entertainment," we chanted.

On hearing that the film has been remade, and remembering the controversy the original caused, I watched the new version with trepidation. The director, I was assured, has given the remake "strong feminist overtones".

It is still truly shocking. It shows, in detail and at length, the gang rape of Jennifer, a sexually confident young woman from New York City who moves to the country to live in an isolated log cabin while writing a novel. Local men ג€“ unappealing rednecks ג€“ spy on her while she sunbathes in a tiny bikini, before capturing, humiliating and raping her over and over again.

Eventually Jennifer recovers, tracks the rapists down one-by-one and exacts the most delicious revenge on them. One has his penis hacked off and bleeds to death, another is garrotted, and so on. It is nothing if not an exploitation movie.

Why then, do I still believe both versions of ISOYG to be more feminist ג€“ albeit in a purely accidental way ג€“ than The Accused, the much-lauded 1988 film starring Jodie Foster?

Feminists hailed The Accused, partly because the story served to debunk a number of pernicious rape myths. Foster's character Sarah is a party animal who dirty dances with a man in a bar and is raped by him and two others over a pinball machine in full view of their cheering mates. With the help of a determined prosecution lawyer and a decent man who was in the bar and decides to give evidence, the men who cheered the rapists on are convicted amid dramatic courtroom scenes.

The film is based on a true story, but with a somewhat different outcome. In 1983 a woman was gang-raped on a pool table in New Bedford, Massachusetts, while onlookers cheered. It went to trial amid tales of the victim's previous sexual history and rumours of drunkenness. The trial was televised and the victim's identity became known, resulting in her being vilified by almost the entire town. The rapists were convicted but the onlookers acquitted. A huge march through the community was organised to celebrate the acquittals and the woman was, in effect, run out of town.

The feminist movement was at its height when ISOYG was made in 1978, with a plethora of conferences and marches through cities protesting about rape, domestic violence and unequal pay; and arguably its weakest at the time of The Accused, when Thatcherism had more or less destroyed the left and weakened feminism alongside it. In a way ISOYG was a revenge-rape-revenge story, perhaps serving as an unconscious warning to women about getting too uppity. The Accused was a fairytale about how we would like things to be, but had failed to make happen during the glory days of the women's movement.

Whereas The Accused serves as a warning to men who do nothing to stop rape, the punishment they receive in the film is highly unlikely to happen in reality. The revenge meted out in ISOYG, however, is something men should fear. It does not rely on the law of the land, but on a woman being pushed too far and deciding enough is enough. I sat through a murder trial in the 1990s in which a woman stabbed and killed the man who had raped her child. The jury, against the directions of the judge, acquitted her.

I still believe in our criminal justice system and am against vigilante attacks, but the fact remains that the majority of men who rape women get away with it. If I were gang-raped, aware as I am of the near impossibility of winning justice through the courts, I would not be sitting here fantasising about being saved by crusading lawyers and nice men.

I stand by the pickets against the video-nasty genre 30 years ago, but on reflection I was wrong about ISOYG being harmful. It was and still is exploitative, but at least it does not present the criminal justice system as a friend to women.

If rape remains as easy to get away with as it is at present, films in which women get even through the legal system will become as unrealistic as ISOYG. But I know which one will give me, and many other women, the most comfort.

I Spit on Your Grave is in cinemas from 21 January

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

:lol: @ Rubber. Wes Craven continues to make me want to forget anything he's done in the last 15 years, save for the original Scream.

The Ward looks like the average Americanized J-horror stuff from the early 00s. But then I've never been a huge fan of Carpenter.

Bout to watch House On The Edge of the Park based on the recomendations. Will report back.