Joss Whedon shows

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Joss Whedon shows

Post by Tommy Bunz »

So i just gunned through the entire Firefly series in like 3 days.....such a shame it got canned, really amazing show. Great characters (even though Mal is a blatant reincarnation of Han Solo), great mix of action and humor...Haven't gotten a chance to catch Serenity yet but best believe that shit is gonna be on my next amazon order. Hopefully it helps tie up a bunch of the loose ends that the show never got to explain (who is the sheperd dude really, why the fuck they all randomly switch to talking in Chinese, will Mal ever stop being a faggot and bang Inara, etc). Lots of potential with River's super powers too. Such a shame, but really really good show.

Anyways, my question is, are any of his other shows near this good?

Dollhouse sounds pretty sweet, always had a boner for Eliza Dushku...anyone wanna talk me into this?

What about Buffy? I watched episodes sporadically while it aired but never enough to really understand what was going on...I know there are some people that swear by it. Seven seasons is a huge time investment though.

Have no intention of ever watching Angel....David BoringAnus always seemed like a huge homo to me. Fuck that guy.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Buffy and Angel when they were on TV were amongst the best shows on Television when they were on.

both are extremely recommended.

I know you wrote that you dislike Boreanez and wouldn't give Angel a try because of it, but you really should rethinking it. The first season is kinda iffy to me but after that season, it picks up steam in a major way. It also has one of my favorite episodes I've ever seen on a TV show.

I personally think Buffy is his best work but I know people that think Angel is the superior show.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i like serenity lots, i've never even seen the show but that movie is a solid scifi actioner

i also have a huge boner for that dushku girl, been contemplating dollhouse as well.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Inara >>> any other female character on a Wheldon show.

Bunz, I'm sure the extras on the series or the movie explain more of the back story.
I can't believe some of you have only seen one of the projects, but not the other.
The series on blu ray was $23 last week, and the movie is around $10.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

None

Post by None »

I agree with Greg that both Buffy and Angel are worth your time. I liked Angel a bit more than Buffy (also hated Boreanas before watching it). Both have their share of convoluted season arcs and "amazing" TV special effects, but neither would be a waste of your time.

As for Dollhouse, I only watched a portion of the first season up to the episode where Patton Oswalt was a guest, but I enjoyed it. It was no where near as good as his prior shows (Would definitely recommend starting with Buffy), but good for what it was. I've heard that the first season's finale was really interesting. I need to sit down and actually watch this.

None

Post by None »

Jayou Ayen wrote:The series on blu ray was $23 last week, and the movie is around $10.

Picked that shit up last week.

Gregg Popabitch

Surprisingly, I haven't seen a single episode of Dollhouse and I don't even know what it's about.

I am also a huge fan of Eliza Dushku and want to kill Rick Fox.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Word. Fuck Rick Fox.

I read on another forum that Dollhouse starts real slow but that the second season was crazy, mostly because Whedon found out early on that it was getting cancelled and packed in several seasons worth of storylines into one season.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

You dudes are really big upping Buffy?

I think I died a little inside every time I had the misfortune to watch even five minutes of it.

Buffy is every reclusive, obese, 45 year old cat woman's favorite show.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I read on another forum that Dollhouse starts real slow but that the second season was crazy, mostly because Whedon found out early on that it was getting cancelled and packed in several seasons worth of storylines into one season.
that's the truth. the last eight or so episodes of dollhouse are tons o' fun because of all the wacky shit going on at a breakneck pace (show basically gets great when summer glau shows up). it's a little bit of work to get to that point, but that final rush of episodes and both the season finales make it worth it

have watched all the whedon shows by now and would say that they're all absolutely worth your time. the final season of angel is the best season dude ever did
and serenity >>> firefly. watch that shit soon
moved by duck muscles

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I missed Firefly blu-rays for 23 bucks? Shit.

Dollhouse starts real slow. But it gets much, much better through the latter half of the first season and carries that momentum through the second. Definitely worth watching, and the whole series is up on Netflix On Demand.

alpha

Post by alpha »

LameAim wrote:I missed Firefly blu-rays for 23 bucks? Shit.

Dollhouse starts real slow. But it gets much, much better through the latter half of the first season and carries that momentum through the second. Definitely worth watching, and the whole series is up on Netflix On Demand.
this

Gregg Popabitch

shit, i have netflix. TIME TO ROLL

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

you can probably skip eps 2-6. the third or fourth ep has echo serving as a bodyguard for some beyonce type pop star and is just one of the worst episodes imaginable. the one that has her being hunted in the woods too WOOF.
moved by duck muscles

Wise Cracker

Post by Wise Cracker »

Yep. Dollhouse is solid the 2nd half of season 1 and season 2.

Buffy is good but hasn't aged well. Never saw Angel.

Firefly is his best work IMO. Serenity is a pretty great series finale.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

I actually just barreled through the entire series of "Buffy" on Netflix and am currently watching season 5 of "Angel". I would say both are worth your time to watch and agree that Buffy's earlier season hasn't aged well. It premiered in 97 though so you may get some nostalgic laughs out of it. Both shows shit on anything vampire related in 2011.

I plan on watching Firefly and Serenity after this because I never saw Firefly when it aired.

Dollhouse is dope. Nothing more I can say about it that hasn't already been said.
Gregg Poppabitch wrote:I know you wrote that you dislike Boreanez and wouldn't give Angel a try because of it, but you really should rethinking it. The first season is kinda iffy to me but after that season, it picks up steam in a major way. It also has one of my favorite episodes I've ever seen on a TV show.
Which episode are you talking about?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Kalel wrote:I actually just barreled through the entire series of "Buffy" on Netflix and am currently watching season 5 of "Angel". I would say both are worth your time to watch and agree that Buffy's earlier season hasn't aged well. It premiered in 97 though so you may get some nostalgic laughs out of it. Both shows shit on anything vampire related in 2011.

I plan on watching Firefly and Serenity after this because I never saw Firefly when it aired.

Dollhouse is dope. Nothing more I can say about it that hasn't already been said.
Gregg Poppabitch wrote:I know you wrote that you dislike Boreanez and wouldn't give Angel a try because of it, but you really should rethinking it. The first season is kinda iffy to me but after that season, it picks up steam in a major way. It also has one of my favorite episodes I've ever seen on a TV show.
you don't like True Blood?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Kalel wrote:Which episode are you talking about?
gotta be 'hole in the world' , the puppet one, or the finale
moved by duck muscles

None

Post by None »

LilLeftBrain wrote:
The one with the Luchadores has the best line in the entire series.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

alpha wrote:
Kalel wrote:I actually just barreled through the entire series of "Buffy" on Netflix and am currently watching season 5 of "Angel". I would say both are worth your time to watch and agree that Buffy's earlier season hasn't aged well. It premiered in 97 though so you may get some nostalgic laughs out of it. Both shows shit on anything vampire related in 2011.

you don't like True Blood?
Eh, it's alright. If I had to choose between watching an episode of Angel versus an episode of True Blood I'd choose Angel every time. Although season 4 was very boring.

It seems like True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight, etc. took the idea of a vampire falling in love with a human and turned it up to 11. But I also feel that if Buffy and Angel were brand new shows in 2011 they might not make it to a second season. Not only is the idea played out, but those shows were just weird enough to lose a casual fan's interest.
LilLeftBrain wrote:
The puppet episode of Angel and "The Gentlemen" episode of Buffy are fucking awesome. I remember vaguely "Hole In The World", but I'm gonna have to watch it again to remember how good it is.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

LilLeftBrain wrote:you can probably skip eps 2-6. the third or fourth ep has echo serving as a bodyguard for some beyonce type pop star and is just one of the worst episodes imaginable. the one that has her being hunted in the woods too WOOF.
Yeah, there's some flat out terrible shit in the first block but they've also got some setup work that helps shape the overall season plot arc. You won't regret it much when Whedon starts putting things together. Definitely don't skip the episode with the Patton Oswalt guest spot.