Damn it Netflix !!!!!!!

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Panama

Damn it Netflix !!!!!!!

Post by Panama »

Netflix price hike coming

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/1 ... 95779.html

I got this email today

Dear ..........,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-357-1516.

ג€“The Netflix Team

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

fucking fascists.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

$16 aint really shit , i dont know the first thing about this netflix you speak of though.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

There was an article on CNN yesterday about how Google, Hula, Blockbuster and Amazon are going to hurt Netflix to the point they will have to pay more $ for the content, which means increases. This is just a start.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/01/technol ... tm?iid=EAL

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Philaflava wrote:There was an article on CNN yesterday about how Google, Hula, Blockbuster and Amazon are going to hurt Netflix to the point they will have to pay more $ for the content, which means increases. This is just a start.

Cant believe Blockbuster is still in this fight. Thats surprising.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Isn't Blockbuster basically Netflix light at this point? Google is more than likely going to buy Hula from Disney and then expect the game to change.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Philaflava wrote:Isn't Blockbuster basically Netflix light at this point? Google is more than likely going to buy Hula from Disney and then expect the game to change.
blockbuster just gets new releases faster. so you can watch shitty ass movie even sooner!

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

drop $20 on 100blank dvd's every other month and all of your problems are solved...or a huge hard drive and hdmi hookup if you got a legit tv. i'll never buy another movie again unless its impossible to find digitally.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Just changed my plan to the $7.99 streaming only plan. Goes into effect August 4, so til then I'm gonna be hustlin the shit out of the DVDs that are available.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

not really much of a big to do
still cheap as fukkk
moved by duck muscles

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I really hope Netflix remains as awesome as it is. I just got Hulu+ and fuuuck that. It is the same price as Netflix and I have to watch commercials?

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

the book is always better anyway

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I had netflix for almost 10 years and I cancelled it about 5 months ago and never looked back. I can download practically everything with a torrent or link and then watch it on my PS3 through TVersity.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

fuck them.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

I've been hanging on to the same dvd for months I don't mind. Honestly for how much I use the service 8 dollars a month is an absolute steal.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

They were handing out $100 million dollar streaming content contracts like they were bubble gum, this was inevitable.

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

i think i pay 13 a month now, so ill take a 20 dollar hit and not worry about it. I've had a wim wenders documentary sitting on my table since march....

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

The costs of netflix, tivo, cable, internet start to add up. Netflix is going to get cut soon.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I've only had a streaming account, so this doesn't affect me. I'm not unsubscribing. I'd consider leaving if Hulu+ were available on my Blu-ray player since they'll soon have exclusive rights to Criterion titles.

Dan

Post by Dan »

DP. Been having problems all day with posting on here.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

still illiterate wrote:The costs of netflix, tivo, cable, internet start to add up. Netflix is going to get cut soon.
I had a similar predicament and cut cable. Don't miss it at all.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:There was an article on CNN yesterday about how Google, Hula, Blockbuster and Amazon are going to hurt Netflix to the point they will have to pay more $ for the content, which means increases. This is just a start.

I doubt any of those companies are eating into Netflix's profits as much as Red Box.

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

A Kid wrote:drop $20 on 100blank dvd's every other month and all of your problems are solved...or a huge hard drive and hdmi hookup if you got a legit tv. i'll never buy another movie again unless its impossible to find digitally.
this

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Zeed Stun wrote:
A Kid wrote:drop $20 on 100blank dvd's every other month and all of your problems are solved...or a huge hard drive and hdmi hookup if you got a legit tv. i'll never buy another movie again unless its impossible to find digitally.
this
so all that time spent downloading and burning dvd's is somehow worth not paying $8 a month? lol. foolish.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

siLLy KiD wrote:
Zeed Stun wrote:
this
so all that time spent downloading and burning dvd's is somehow worth not paying $8 a month? lol. foolish.
the key is to have the downloading/burning going on while you're doing something more productive.

a dvd takes like an hour plus to burn so i start it up and do something else, i dont just sit there waiting for it to finish and also the bulk of my downloading is while im asleep so theres little to no time wasted.

Dap

Post by Dap »

siLLy KiD wrote:
Zeed Stun wrote:
this
"all that time" = about 10 seconds of searching if you're on a good private torrent site.

hell you can go to icefilms.info and watch almost anything for free and streaming

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Trademark wrote:They were handing out $100 million dollar streaming content contracts like they were bubble gum, this was inevitable.
This. Just like Facebook never got why investor types where on Netflix dick. They are pulling in kind of shitty margins as it is and that is only because they landed beyond sweetheart deals for distribution. Shit a few of the ones they signed they got for a fifth of the actual value and these are coming up for renewal in the next 2 years. [/url]

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Trademark wrote:They were handing out $100 million dollar streaming content contracts like they were bubble gum, this was inevitable.
This. Just like Facebook never got why investor types where on Netflix dick. They are pulling in kind of shitty margins as it is and that is only because they landed beyond sweetheart deals for distribution. Shit a few of the ones they signed they got for a fifth of the actual value and these are coming up for renewal in the next 2 years. [/url]
Yep. I've been on their streaming only plan since it was made available... almost a year ago, no? The MPAA isn't gonna make it cheap on Netflix to operate, but I'm sticking around in the hopes that the quality of their streaming content goes way up soon.

Hell, I'd pay $19.99 a month for a premium Netflix option with more and better streaming movies, and I doubt I'm alone in that. The movie industry needs to get their collective heads out of their asses for real.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Dap wrote:
siLLy KiD wrote:
Zeed Stun wrote:
this
"all that time" = about 10 seconds of searching if you're on a good private torrent site.

hell you can go to icefilms.info and watch almost anything for free and streaming
ok. aside from the downloading time and waiting time for burning the dvd, try to add up in your head how long it would take to accumulate a collection the size that netflix offers online...ok good- now we're on the same page. $8/mo is clearly the better option here. It's really not that much money, considering that their online streaming collection has SIGNIFICANTLY grown since they began to offer streaming with the dvd package.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

every time one of my friends shows me Netflix's collection its always looked weak to me..and im not paying them if they cant get me every show i want the exact second i want it.

you can potentially accumulate as much or little of a collection as you want and with no waiting for things in the mail or lack of a streaming selection.

i understand you're clearly against the idea and would rather have your name on another bill, but its seriously worth considering, at least for the shows/movies that you can watch over and over.