Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia"

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Lars Von Trier's "Melancholia"

Post by Truth. »

dunst tits

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object>

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

thanks for this

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Looks amazing. One of my favorite working directors.
I hate Dunst, she's sucked since Interview with a Vampire but maybe Lars can get a good performance out of her.
Rest of the cast looks awesome.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

ya does look good

Anti Christ was a tough watch but i enjoyed it i guess

had no idea Bauer was gonna be in this

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

looks really good. i'm hyped for this now

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

This will be good. Looks depressing and weird, as always. 2001 vibes at the end too.

He usually gets good performances from the actresses he works with
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Anti Christ didn't do a lot for me which is troubling because it appears to be a similar film thematically. The sci-fi slant is interesting, but I have a feeling it's just a small part of the film itself.

I love what Von Trier tries to do with his films, he's just very hit or miss with me.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

starks

Post by starks »

swag

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:This will be good. Looks depressing and weird, as always.

None

Post by None »

DVDscr of this is out. Haven't watched it yet. Not really in the mood to be depressed right now.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

live the end of the world in your head.
very emotional. sit in the corner and cry.

one of the best I've seen this year.

None

Post by None »

The imagery in this is amazing. Some of the scenes in this are absolutely breath taking. Unfortunately, I wasn't too emotionally invested in anything that was happening, but I still really liked it. There is still a lot about this that I'm putting together and processing, but this is certainly a great film.

EDIT: Udo Kier might be my favorite thing in this.

Comedy Quaddafi

Finally saw it, felt like I had to. Was turned off by reading it's just rich people being dicks and arguing.

Did enjoy this quite a bit. Dunst's character is such an annoying woman, I know nothing about depression so I should tread carefully, but she was incredibly obnoxious to me. Okay, so you think everything sucks despite being priviliged and beautiful, fair enough, but do you really have to be an asshole about it?!

Anyway I think it's interesting how they show the three leads and their reaction to the end of the world. Dunst being happy and full of acceptance, Kiefer being optimist until he can no longer deny it, Gainsbourg losing her shit and going through those emotions her sister probably feels in everyday life. I think there are other more deeper layers to the story and how the planet functions as a symbol, not sure I'm articulate enough to express it properly.

Also, great tits.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

GREAT GREAT FILM. BEST CRY I'VE HAD THIS YEAR.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

usually a von trier fan but thought this was pretty boring. the performances were good and the direction and imagery were top notch but the movie dragged on imho. the pacing and the lack of interest i had in the characters or the plot made me indifferent by the end of the film. not sure i understand the critical love this movie got. like someone said already though, von trier is usually hit or miss.

also, surprisingly nice tits.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Finally got around to seeing this, absolutely fucking loved it.
Von Trier continues his incredible streak of getting awesome performances out of his female leads...Dunst is surprisingly strong here but it is amusing how quickly it all becomes the Charlotte Gainsbourg show. Easily one of the best working actresses. Also I'm pretty sure she's the only actress that's ever agreed to act for Von Trier a second time, hopefully they continue to work together in the future.
The movie is basically Von Trier flexing the shit out of his auteur muscles, in a way showing the world that he can do pretty much whatever the fuck he wants. The entire cast was brilliant, its gorgeous as shit to look at, and the score is beautiful.
I'm not sure anyone in film has ever done a better job of realistically portraying mental illnesses, between this and Antichrist and Breaking the Waves, it'd be hard to argue against it.
Really hard to believe this movie was made for only 7 million dollars.

And yeah, nice terts.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Also I'm pretty sure she's the only actress that's ever agreed to act for Von Trier a second time, hopefully they continue to work together in the future.
I have some potentially good news for you, friendo.

http://collider.com/charlotte-gainsbour ... ac/131959/

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Nice. Kinda think I might have heard about that already but forgot about it.
I love when a great director finds a muse thats equally talented.
She ain't much to look at but bitch can act her ass off.
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there ends up being some Brown Bunny funny business from the way that article makes Nympho sound.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Nice. Kinda think I might have heard about that already but forgot about it.
I love when a great director finds a muse thats equally talented.
She ain't much to look at but bitch can act her ass off.
Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there ends up being some Brown Bunny funny business from the way that article makes Nympho sound.
She is just the best, and she's no stranger to any sort of sexual funny business since she decided to fuck her brother at 15 in the Cement Garden.

Comedy Quaddafi

Both Von T and Gaspar Noe are looking to make an erotic movie next, explicit as well as far as I know. Wonder which will turn out better.
- MB

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

For those of you waiting to hear what Rex Reed thought of it - http://www.observer.com/2011/11/eat-you ... evelation/
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

What a seriously awful review, can't even keep his facts straight, admitting to not paying attention during the movie and getting Dogma (a Kevin Smith movie and also the name of the film movement Von Trier was a major part of) and Dogville (The VT movie he meant to reference) mixed up. Clearly just has a problem with Von Trier and can't view his movies subjectively. And spouting bullshit like this probably just ends up getting his article spread around and more page views and actually helps him Armond White style.
How that faggot still has a job is beyond comprehensibe, he shoulda been blacklisted after the Marisa Tomei scandal twenty years ago.

Ebert had a nice review of it.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /111109970

pennsylvania jones
6th Man HOF

Post by pennsylvania jones »

I only saw it because I like Von Trier.
I thought it was incredibly slow for quite a while.
Liked Keifer's role a lot.
I didn't get emotionally wrapped up in these characters though.
I certainly didn't shed any tears or get so incredibly depressed.
Great imagery though.
Thought the wedding thing, and Justine fucking that dude ON her wedding day was beyond weird.

I did like it, but I thought Antichrist was better, in the sense that, it really grabbed me. The scenes and story in Antichrist were powerful to the point of unbearable.

This was good, but the characters didn't grip me. Overall, I wasn't emotionally invested while watching. I couldn't give a rip about any of them at the end.

Edit: However, concerning the theater I saw it in... they serve beer in there, and it's an old style theater with balcony seating, and a great movie-watching vibe. Big screen and decent sound. Old lit up marquee out front. Made the experience nicer. This theater usually plays limited-release movies only. It's called the Carlisle Theater.

I also saw MOON here.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I want to see this soooo bad.

but with megaupload and filesonic going down, i'm shit out of luck.

Comedy Quaddafi

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I want to see this soooo bad.

http://www.wupload.com/file/2323148432/ ... P-XViD.avi

Gregg Popabitch

omg, i need to get home from work before this link gets shut the fuck down

good looks, you muslim hating infidel!!!

pennsylvania jones
6th Man HOF

Post by pennsylvania jones »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:I want to see this soooo bad.

Sorry for some spoilers, Gregg. I guess other people were talking about it and I sort of gave little things away

Gregg Popabitch

don't worry. i didn't read any longish posts in this thread.

i'm good at avoiding spoilers in movie threads.

it's the one line posts that give away specific plot points that give me problems.

Gregg Popabitch

link is still good. thank you based quadaffi.