Cormac McCarthy just turned in a spec script(!)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Cormac McCarthy just turned in a spec script(!)

Post by Smooth Lou »

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/pulitze ... ec-script/
deadline.com wrote:EXCLUSIVE: While Cormac McCarthyג€™s novels have been turned into No Country For Old Men, The Road and All the Pretty Horses, heג€™s left the film adaptations to others. McCarthy has surprised everybody by writing his first spec screenplay. Nick Wechsler, Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz, the producing trio behind the adaptation of McCarthyג€™s Pulitzer Prize-winner The Road, have just closed a deal to take The Counselor off the table with a preemptive acquisition.

The terrain of the script is reminiscent of the rough and tumble world depicted in No Country For Old Men. The protagonist in The Counselor is a respected lawyer who thinks he can dip a toe in to the drug business without getting sucked down. It is a bad decision and he tries his best to survive it and get out of a desperate situation. While McCarthyג€™s ICM agents Binky Urban and Ron Bernstein were expecting McCarthy to deliver his next novel, he instead surprised them with the spec script before returning to the book. The producers moved quickly and spent their own money to buy it in a sizable deal. They tell me they will go looking for a filmmaker as they talk to financiers.

ג€œThe spec falls smack in the middle of what everyone responds to with Cormacג€™s novels,ג€ Wechsler said. Steve Schwartz told me: ג€œSince McCarthy himself wrote the script, we get his own muscular prose directly, with its sexual obsessions. Itג€™s a masculine world into which, unusually, two women intrude to play leading roles. McCarthyג€™s wit and humor in the dialogue make the nightmare even scarier. This may be one of McCarthyג€™s most disturbing and powerful works.ג€ The script is contemporary, and set in the Southwest.

SonnyCookout

Post by SonnyCookout »

Sweet, wouldn't be mad if the Coen brothers directed this.

perlman

Post by perlman »

Great news. I thought the Sunset Limited movie was ill.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pretty cool.
Actually in the middle of Blood Meridian for the first time right now.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Pretty cool.
I took a small hit before each reading session, and the difference was staggering. I recommend trying it, you may be surprised what you have missed. The nature of the book lends itself to spectacular (and deeply unsettling) imagery and emotions whilst high (in my own experience).
the boy is the father to the man

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

no shit? idk if i could read blood meridian high, would def get lost in the language
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

perfectprism wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Pretty cool.
I took a small hit before each reading session, and the difference was staggering. I recommend trying it, you may be surprised what you have missed. The nature of the book lends itself to spectacular (and deeply unsettling) imagery and emotions whilst high (in my own experience).
this is 112% bullshit. carry on...

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

^ How so? It would be incredibly bizarre behavior to lie about something like that.

I don't recommend getting really high, just a small hit to loosen the brain. I would literally read a passage, feel I missed something, take a hit and read again and be stunned by the amount of things I passed over.

eris

Post by eris »

perfectprism wrote:^ How so? It would be incredibly bizarre behavior to lie about something like that.

I don't recommend getting really high, just a small hit to loosen the brain. I would literally read a passage, feel I missed something, take a hit and read again and be stunned by the amount of things I passed over.

Rereading a passage tends to reveal missed moments regardless of ones state.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

:naswtf: of course you missed a bunch of shit. You were high. This seems like a really dumb way to read a book IMO. Back to the topic at hand, :jiz: big fan of his work and would love for this to get made. Also, am I correct in remembering that they're making a Blood Meridian book? If so, :jiz: :jiz: :jiz:. With a side of :jiz:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the first time i ever heard 'this is how we do it' on weed i came to the realization that montell said 'ever a since i was a lower case g'. thought it was 'never a before rented from penske'. either way he was transitioning into a 'big G' so you could see the mistake
moved by duck muscles

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

I missed shit when I was straight, not high, odie..and point taken about the rereading itself but there's a big difference between missing a plot detail and missing a huge smattering of images..I fail at trying to impress just how monumentally different the experience was but I'm not a typical stoner, I'm a lover a literature above everything else and if you can't see the correlation between marijuana and a work/author grounded in poetics/stream of consciousness type sentence structure with a focus on imagery then you stay losing

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

^can't disagree w/ that
moved by duck muscles

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

eris wrote:Image
:lol:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

odium-LSC wrote::naswtf: of course you missed a bunch of shit. You were high.
:lol:

Reading while high would never work for me. I can barely follow movies when I'm stoned.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Ridley Scott will direct "The Counselor" next, not the new Blade Runner movie. Production is expected to start in May.

The Counselor is being described as ג€œג€˜No Country for Old Menג€™ on steroidsג€, with insiders claiming that the story ג€“ about a respectable lawyer who gets in over his head after becoming involved in the illegal drug business ג€“ is one of McCarthyג€™s ג€œmost disturbing and powerful worksג€ to date. This is his first original script.

Michael Fassbender is the front runner for the lead role.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

So this cast is pretty crazy right now

Michael Fassbender, Javier Bardem, and Brad Pitt are all signed on

Thun

Post by Thun »

One of the worst popular novelists of this and the past century. Utterly horrific shit.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

What've you read of his, out of curiosity? I've read No Country, the Road, and Blood Meridian. Liked the first two decently enough, was blown away by the third. I started "All the Pretty Horses" the other day and realized that I have no interest to read any more of his work. Alot of it is samey, in the end, and I could see someone think of it as rambling or longwinded. He's like a hyper-stylized Faulker and sometimes it seems forced, but I can never know that for sure.

Either way, Blood Meridian rocks. The other stuff I can understand. But I really could not fathom someone reading BM, fully digesting it and coming away with a negative opinion. But I love Faulker and this sort of style in general, so

Versive

Post by Versive »

Thun wrote:One of the worst popular novelists of this and the past century. Utterly horrific shit.
:rofl: was this your return post?

nm, i see it wasn't. Don't know if I agree with what you said, but I read The Road and it certainly sucked the balls.

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

Versive wrote:
Thun wrote:One of the worst popular novelists of this and the past century. Utterly horrific shit.
:rofl: was this your return post?

nm, i see it wasn't. Don't know if I agree with what you said, but I read The Road and it certainly sucked the balls.
Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?

Versive

Post by Versive »

I read it years ago but I remember feeling like a lot of the religious allusions were kind of pointless or forced or even just over the top. The biblical diction bothered me. Beyond those elements, which I didn't enjoy, there's nothing separating it from the countless pieces of post-apocolyptic genre literature the hoighty toighty critics at the NY Times book review wouldn't give the time of day, even though those might be more entertaining/insightful than this was. Don't ask me to point to particular titles because I'm not big into post-apocolyptic wasteland journey stories in general (that's probably also a big factor), but I know they're out there because I read a lot of genre stuff.

PiThief

Post by PiThief »

Versive wrote:I read it years ago but I remember feeling like a lot of the religious allusions were kind of pointless or forced or even just over the top. The biblical diction bothered me. Beyond those elements, which I didn't enjoy, there's nothing separating it from the countless pieces of post-apocolyptic genre literature the hoighty toighty critics at the NY Times book review wouldn't give the time of day, even though those might be more entertaining/insightful than this was. Don't ask me to point to particular titles because I'm not big into post-apocolyptic wasteland journey stories in general (that's probably also a big factor), but I know they're out there because I read a lot of genre stuff.
fair enough

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Re: Cormac McCarthy just turned in a spec script(!)

Post by Trademark »

Anyone have a link to this script?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Re:

Post by Reason »

SonnyCookout wrote:Sweet, wouldn't be mad if the Coen brothers directed this.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

thread reminds me of good ole ithikkkle
Nets 2022

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

so no one has the script then?

Truth.

Post by Truth. »