Comics (Obama approves of this thread)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

No...I meant the character they are announcing as "gay" hasn't been seen since the relaunch.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The ILLatino wrote:No...I meant the character they are announcing as "gay" hasn't been seen since the relaunch.
Yeah, and the guy at DC also said it would be an "iconic" character, which means it has to be someone known to people who don't follow comics.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood ... gay-heroes

[quote]Northstar's Same-Sex Wedding and Comic Books' Uncomfortable History With Gay Heroes

Over the weekend, from the dais at a comic book convention in London, DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio revealed that as part of an ongoing reboot of its entire line, DC plans to change the sexual orientation of a preexisting character. Then, yesterday, the other biggest comic book company on earth, Marvel Comics, announced ג€” on The View, no less! ג€” that their first openly gay superhero, Northstar, would marry his boyfriend in an upcoming issue, because bigfooting the competition in the news cycle makes striking a blow for human rights that much sweeter.

Here's why this is a big deal, aside from the fact that Marvel and DC are urging us to make a big deal about it. Until it was finally amended in 1989, the Comics Code ג€” a set of content guidelines self-imposed by the industry in response to political pressure in the '50s ג€” included circa-1954 language banning both "sexual abnormalities" and "sex perversion." (The pressure was due in part to the furor kicked up by Dr. Frederic Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent, which among other things perceived nefarious gay subtext in the Batman/Robin relationship, decades before the Ambiguously Gay Duo strapped on their codpieces.)

This didn't stop mainstream superhero comics from talking about, or at least around, gay issues. Homophobia was one of the many strains of intolerance allegorically addressed in story lines about "anti-mutant hysteria" in the X-Men books of the '80s and '90s. These weren't literal gay-character stories (like Star Trek, comics didn't tell literal stories, word to Paul Kinsey) but they often dealt sensitively with themes the writers weren't officially allowed to touch, as in the 1986 New Mutants story "We Was Only Foolin'," about the suicide of a teenager bullied for being a mutant. Work like this made up, kind of, for less-enlightened treatments of homosexuality in comics, like the completely insane '80s issue of Rampaging Hulk ג€” written by Jim Shooter, who was then Marvel's editor-in-chief ג€” where Bruce Banner narrowly escapes a sexual assault by two effeminate thugs in a YMCA shower; he doesn't actually Hulk up until afterward, and it's made clear in the narration that this time, it's revulsion that's brought on the change, not anger.

For the most part, though, superhero comics have spent the last few decades taking the same well-intentioned, sometimes-clueless, and occasionally bold steps toward a more realistically varied depiction of human sexuality as most other forms of popular fiction. I'm not going to try to defend problematic stabs at relevance like Extra

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

So I checked out issues of both AVX and Avengers Vs. X-Men.

AVX (the fight book) was suprisingly fun, but I got through it in like 10 minutes. Good art.

Avengers vs. X-men is just not good. The writing is OK, but I'm really not feeling John Romita Jr. nowadays. There are 100 other artists out here that could be making that book look fantastic.

On the other hand, I also read a bunch of the Batman "Night of The Owls" books, and those have been fantastic, especially the NIGHTWING and CATWOMAN chapters. Good shit by DC.

On the indie side, I'm reading LXG: Century 1969. I'm not sure how I feela about it. I'm trying to decide if catching all the references is messing up the story.

RIP Josh

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

So apparently, DC's new gay character is Alan Scott. It kind of makes sense, since he'll be on Earth-2 but DC can still say they made someone iconic gay. Even if it isn't the GREEN LANTERN most people would think of when you say "Green Lantern is gay."

EDIT: and at the moment the #1 trending search on Yahoo! (the home of being behind the curve) is "Green Lantern Gay."

RIP Josh

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Ironically, Alan Scott's biggest weakness is wood.

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! :lol:

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Spartan wrote:Ironically, Alan Scott's biggest weakness is wood.
oh man, I haven't laughed that hard in quite a while.. Good one.

alpha

Post by alpha »

is anyone surprised when someone dies on "walking dead" anymore??

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

dan-da-dan-daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! gatling gun titties!

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Turns out, Alan Scott is the gay DC character. I got the second issue of Earth 2 today and there he is, making out with a dude about halfway through.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Stopped in my new local shop (just moved this past weekend) to get caught up on AvsX and picked up a few more things.

Picked up the first two issues of "Thief of Thieves" and it seems pretty promising. Probably gunna go back tomorrow and pick up the next few so I can get current.

Also picked up the first issue of "Hardcore" it seems like it has some potential so ill give it a shot for a couple more issues.

The guy at the shop recommended HELL YEAH but they only had issue number 3 i picked it up but im going to try to get them to get the first two before i give the series a read.

Epic kill looked intriguing from thumbing through an issue as did Hack Slash. Anyone check for either of these?

Revival comes out next month and ill prolly give that a shot.

What else is everyone here checking for?
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I'm picking up the new LOEG, even though I'm not sure I'm still digging it. I just want to see it through. Alan Moore is still a genius.

Anyone checking for any of the BEFORE WATCHMEN books?

I'm liking IDW's new TMNT series, and will also probably pick up the ULTIMATE COLLECTIONS of the original MIRAGE series.

I'm currently catching up on CHEW via trades, and will probably go monthly with SKULLKICKERS cause it's killing me to wait on the trades.

RIP Josh

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I got the first issue of the comedian written by brian azzarello. It's pretty good. we'll see how it progresses. Didn't pick up the minutemen one yet but I probably.

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

:leon:

This looks dope.
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Also, Saga has been pretty dope thus far and picked up an issue of Epic Kill but it's hella cliche. Wont be checking for that again. Got all caught up on Thief of Thieves and I'm really liking it so far, added it to my pull. Reserved my copy of revival #1.
Last edited by Prophecy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The ILLatino wrote:I'm currently catching up on CHEW via trades, and will probably go monthly with SKULLKICKERS cause it's killing me to wait on the trades.
I think I may go this route with Chew. Thumbed through an issue the other day and seemed pretty cool.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

Prophecy wrote:
The ILLatino wrote:I'm currently catching up on CHEW via trades, and will probably go monthly with SKULLKICKERS cause it's killing me to wait on the trades.
I think I may go this route with Chew. Thumbed through an issue the other day and seemed pretty cool.
Chew is really good. It's completely original and the art is dope.

RIP Josh

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Found a variant cover of the gay xman wedding issue. Gonna wait a couple years and then try to sell it to some Ghey for as much as possible lulz.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Of all the comics I pick up monthly, Jonathan Hickman's The Manhattan Projects is by far my favorite. Speculative fiction that imagines Oppenheimer had a sociopathic serial killer for a twin brother. Featuring a foul-mouthed drunk Einstein, an FDR AI, and plenty of other hallucinatory conspiracy flavored alternate history. So god damn good.

I co-sign Saga, D.B. Cooper and Chew.

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

^ hickman is one of the best doing it right now, imo. thanks for the heads up, didn't know about this
the boy is the father to the man

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

The ILLatino wrote:
Prophecy wrote:
Chew is really good. It's completely original and the art is dope.
Ordered the first trade Friday.

Versive

Post by Versive »

perfectprism wrote:^ hickman is one of the best doing it right now, imo. thanks for the heads up, didn't know about this
Word, I don't really fuck with his Marvel shit (or anyone's since they started this AVX bullshit), but all of his recent image mini-series are worth checking out to say the least.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Before Watchmen is pretty atrocious too. The big 2 persuading me to stop reading their books again. There are some really good DC titles so I probably won't altogether but yo... this is some other shit now.

alpha

Post by alpha »

walking dead 100 :ohsh: :owens:

perfectprism

Post by perfectprism »

forgot that was coming, spent all day catching up. :owens: even though I sort of guessed what would happen it didn't make it any easier to get through
the boy is the father to the man

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

alpha wrote:walking dead 100 :ohsh: :owens:
That was difficult to read/see. Brutal stuff.

Got a 100th issue poster that i framed and will hang in my bedroom.

Picked up the preview issue for Image's one shot "Sunset" and it was dope! Prolly gunna scoop it up when I go to pick up my pull this week and the first trade issue of Chew that I ordered at couple of weeks back.

The first issue of Revival was pretty good too so ill prolly add that to the pull and see where it goes.

Picked up the Chew one shot off shoot "Secrent agent Poyo" Prolly won't read it till i get caught up on Chew though.

Panama

Post by Panama »

alpha wrote:walking dead 100 :ohsh: :owens:
Time to get caught up again

edit ............................... :owens: