Iron Man 3 (Dir: Shane Black) (May 3, 2013)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Iron Man 3 (Dir: Shane Black) (May 3, 2013)

Post by Truth. »

EXCLUSIVE: The ever secretive Marvel Studios is in final negotiations with Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3 set to be released on May 3, 2013. As you know , IM1 and IM2 director Jon Favreau begged off to helm Magic Kingdom at Disney so his relationship with the franchise ran its course. Shane is first and foremost a writer but it's not clear whether he'll be penning the IM3 script as well. "That's not figured out," our source says. Of course, everyone in and around Marvel is keeping mum. But Black has a long relationship with Robert Downey Jr since Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Not only did Shane make his directing debut on the 2005 cult favorite he co-wrote, but it helped re-launch Downey Jrג€™s career. When news leaked out that Marvel was meeting with several directors including Shane, fanboys approved. So they should exult now that negotiations are wrapping up with Black's agency WME and manager David Greenblatt's GreenLit Creative. We recall the days way back when that unknown Black submitted a spec script over the transom to Greenblatt who was then a young ICM lit agent. Greenblatt in those days read scripts by wannabes and the two became an inseparable team that continues to this day. (For the uninitiated, Greenblatt was one of the founders of Endeavor, which is now WME.) Black was the screenwriter behind Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 and The Last Boy Scout, and, in the 1980s and 1990s one of the highest paid writers in the action genre. He then decided to go have a life and segue into directing as well. Shane is back and busy now. He's working on Doc Savage, Sony's action project based on the classic pulp hero, and Warner Bros Warner Bros recently hired him to direct a live action adaptation of the Japanese manga series Death Note and oversee a script thatג€™s being written by Anthony Bagarozzi and Charles Mondry, his accomplices on Doc Savage. So let this be a lesson to all you agents who get so arrogant about out-of-the-blue submissions: read every wannabe's screenplay you can get your hands on.
Last edited by Truth. on Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Afronaut

Re: Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3

Post by The Afronaut »

Truth. wrote:
IM1 and IM2 director Jon Favreau begged off to helm Magic Kingdom at Disney so his relationship with the franchise ran its course.
:naswtf:

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Holy shit this is awesome I might actually go see this. Shane fucking Black I just hope they have hm writing the script the dude is one of the 5 or so greatest screenwriters ever.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Couldn't really give a flying fuck about the Iron Man franchise, but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang >>>>> anything else Downey did the last decade.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Couldn't really give a flying fuck about the Iron Man franchise, but Kiss Kiss Bang Bang >>>>> anything else Downey did the last decade.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ThaJim2 wrote:Holy shit this is awesome I might actually go see this. Shane fucking Black I just hope they have hm writing the script the dude is one of the 5 or so greatest screenwriters ever.
I mean, i'm a fan and all but :lol:

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Robert Downey Jr. could end up fighting Ben Kingsley in "Iron Man 3". The English veteran actor is entering final talks to star as the supervillain in the third armored hero movie, Variety reported.

Marvel has yet to announce which bad guy will Kingsley tackle. However, multiple insiders revealed that the "Hugo" thesp will not be playing Tony Stark's number one archenemy the Mandarin, who is a wealthy Chinese scientist and martial arts expert.

Words are, the Oscar-winning actor will play a villain who is involved in spreading a virus through nanobots since the movie will be loosely based on Warren Ellis' six-issue "Extremis" comic book series, which were published in 2005. The comics presented a new origin story which focused on nanotechnology.

The report added fuel to previous spoilerish rumor that "Iron Man 3" will put the appearance of nanobots on the spotlight. Back in March, an insider told Latino Review that there will be an idea to plant the bots in Stark's head by Captain America in "The Avengers", because it will lead directly to "Iron Man 3".

As for the Mandarin, it has been widely speculated that the character will still appear in "Iron Man 3" since "Iron Man" and "Iron Man 2" helmer Jon Favreau had been setting up to have the Chinese genius as the lead villain in the third film. Nonetheless, ever since Favreau passed on the helming duty to Shane Black, the possibility became somewhat unclear.

"Iron Man 3" will begin filming in North Carolina in May. Also returning to the threequel are Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle and Scarlett Johansson. Walt Disney Pictures has set May 3, 2013 as the U.S. release date for the superhero movie.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Im disappointed that theyll probably be no Mandarin, but Ben Kingsley being on board is great news.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Don Logan with superpowers hopefully.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Want another reason to be excited for the Shane Black-directed IRON MAN 3? Here goes: acocrding to Variety, Guy Pearce is in "final talks" to play geneticist Aldrich Killian.

The film is evidently based to some extent on Warren Ellis's six-issue "Extremis" run on the IRON MAN comic book. In that version of the story, Pearce's character invents some kind of nanotechnology that Tony Stark incorporates (I'd be more specific, but I haven't read an IRON MAN comic since 1988). Sounds cool. I'm just happy that a consistently great actor like Pearce is joining the likes of Robert Downey Jr., Don Cheadle and Sir Ben Kingsley.

IRON MAN 3 begins shooting in May, and will hit theaters on May 3rd, 2013.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

So...Kraven?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

IF HE DID 'LAST BOY SCOUT', I FUCKING LOVE HIM ALREADY

one of Bruce Willis's best movies, and probably Damon Wayans's best Hollywood moment.

"ain't life a bitch?" *BLAM* :jaz:

'Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang' is good dark shit

IRON MAN 3 probably gonna be GRIMEY
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

death note live action film... ? that ish could be crazy

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/04/will ... rything%29
WILL ANDY LAU BE IN IRON MAN 3?

by James Marsh, April 24, 2012 3:50 AM

ACTION, ASIA, SCI-FI & FANTASY, USA & CANADA
It is being reported here in Hong Kong that Chinese superstar Andy Lau is in final negotiations to take a role in Shane Black's upcoming superhero sequel Iron Man 3. Popular tech & style blog NeonPunch.com is reporting that they have a very reliable source within Disney who is telling them that the film's Chinese backers, Walt Disney China and DMG Entertainment, are keen to get a big Chinese name attched to the project, and apparently the man they want is Andy Lau.

Now, before everyone screams "The Mandarin", it is extremely unlikely that the film's producers would get behind a plot whose central villain was a Chinese character, especially one as flagrantly racist as The Mandarin. Word is that Lau (or whoever finally lands the role) would play a good guy - a Chinese scientist who comes to the aid of his old buddy Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) by providing him with some new tech that will help him battle Ben Kingsley's villain, but more importantly Aldrich Killian (Guy Pearce) and his Extremis biotechnology.

Right now it is apparently just a matter of working out the schedules and agreeing on an amount of cash, but there is no denying that the addition of someone like Andy Lau in a sizeable role would be a huge boost for the film's commercial chances in China and across Asia. It has already been announced that Iron Man 3 will be shooting on location in China (including Hong Kong and Shanghai) later this summer, working towards a 3 May 2013 release date. Hopefully we will be hearing an official announcement very soon.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

sure why not, he's a good actor
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

I have subscribed to this thread.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Badge Dale joins 'Iron Man 3' as Eric Savin
Marvel's latest in the series starts production this month
By Marc Graser, Justin Kroll

James Badge Dale has joined the cast of "Iron Man 3."

Dale will play Eric Savin. In the Marvel comicbooks, he's a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Army put in charge of Project: Ultra. After stepping on a land mine, cybernetic surgery is performed on him and he's resurrected as the cyborg Coldblood.

The thesp, who recently co-starred in Open Road's "The Grey" and Fox Searchlight's "Shame," will next appear in Robert Zemeckis' "Flight," from Paramount, along with the studio's "World War Z" and Disney's "The Lone Ranger."

"Iron Man 3" starts production this month under the helm of Shane Black, who also co-wrote the script with Drew Pearce.

Robert Downey Jr. returns as billionaire Tony Stark, while Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Ben Kingsley and Rebecca Hall are also set.

Pic's plot will borrow elements from Warren Ellis' six-issue "Iron Man: Extremis," that also influenced the first "Iron Man" installment, and focuses on the spread of a virus through nanotechnology.

Production on the film starts this month in North Carolina before moving to China later this summer.

Disney already has skedded to release "Iron Man 3" on May 3, 2013.

The first "Iron Man" earned $585 million worldwide, while the sequel generated $624 million around the globe.

Alan Fine, Stan Lee, Louis D'Esposito, Charles Newirth, Victoria Alonso, Stephen Broussard and Dan Mintz will executive produce "Iron Man 3," with Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige producing the project.

Dale is repped by CAA and MJ Management.

alpha

Post by alpha »

He killed it in "the pacific". Didn't watch rubicon, sorry jayou

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

alpha wrote:He killed it in "the pacific". Didn't watch rubicon, sorry jayou
:cheap:

I have mixed feelings about seeing Jamrage as a cyborg tbh.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

SUPER UPDATE: The mystery has already been solved! The Superficial has received an image from the Iron Man 3 set that shows James Badge Dale in costume as Iron Patriot. It was previously reported that Dale would be playing Eric Savin in the movie, a character who becomes Coldblood in the comics, but it seems that things have changed this time around. To see what Dale looks like in the armor, check out the image at the bottom of this post.

Here is the original post, untouched:

You've probably noticed this by now, but there isn't just one kind of Iron Man suit. In fact, since 2008 the armor has appeared in three movies and there have been a grand total of eight suits: Mark I through VII and War Machine. No film with Iron Man in it has featured less than two different types of armor, and now SuperHeroHype has confirmed that yet another version will be appearing in Iron Man 3. The big question is, who will be wearing it?

The site is reporting that the second sequel to Iron Man, which is being directed by Shane Black, will feature the Iron Patriot, a red, white and blue tinged suit that first appeared in 2009's "Dark Avengers." Here's the twist though: Tony Stark wasn't the guy wearing the suit. In fact, it was Norman Osborne of Spider-Man fame, who, in the story, is actually treated as an American hero. Osborne took the technology from Stark Industries and gave it the patriotic look as a tribute to the recently-deceased Captain America. Iron Man 3 is currently filming down in North Carolina and stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Ben Kingsley, Guy Pearce, James Badge Dale and Jon Favreau.

Obviously Osborne won't be appearing in the movie, as Sony Pictures owns the rights to the character and Iron Man 3 is a Marvel Studios film, so that means that either someone else will be sporting the Iron Patriot armor or its just an idea that Tony Stark has for his newest design. Given that the project is already chock full of villains, I'm really hoping for the latter.
also something posted at Latino Review:
UPDATE! I like the theory that C_P_PUNK posed below in the comments that this is actually Detroit Steel, or something more like him, from the current run of Invincible Iron Man (introduced in 2010).

Detroit Steel was the first of Steelcorps: armor Hammer Industries sold to anyone who could pay for it in the comics. And seeing as how ג€˜Iron Man 2′ ended with Hammer Industries having enough of the Iron Man tech to make an army full of drones, this would make a BIT more sense as to why this armor is showing up in ג€˜Iron Man 3′

Whew!

See, that makes me feel better. Letג€™s not bring Norman Osborn into all this. : ).

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Very interesting that Favreau decided to come back since he isn't directing this one, and had some critical things to say about how Iron Man 2 was rushed by the studio. I suppose he was likely contractually obligated, but still...
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I love seeing shit like those Iron Patriot flicks, and I hate it. Kills any kind of surprise I would've had in the theatre.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Ya shit will be in the trailers though

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Pic Marvel released today

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

We happened to find this out a good 2 hours after we jumped on the Iron Patriot bandwagon and reported it, but I had to sit on it and watch people endlessly report ג€œIron Patriotג€ news.

It wasnג€™t until we finally got a look at Don Cheadle on set that we here at Latino-Review can clear something up for you:

That armor youג€™ve been seeing? Thatג€™s not Iron Patriot, thatג€™s War Machine and this is all based on a ג€œhey that white guy must be James Badge Daleג€ mistake made by a photo service or a gossip site (hard to trace back).

Itג€™s not a movie star, itג€™s just a white guy. A very nice stunt man who allowed Don Cheadle to not be on set that day. The scene they were filming had Tony Stark and a bunch of military folks, so it makes total sense that this is the moment they debut the new War Machine armor.

Weג€™re getting this from someone on set who says what weג€™re all calling ג€œIron Patriotג€ is Don Cheadleג€™s new armor. For purposes of clarity, Iג€™ll still be calling it War Machine, even if the movie decides to call him ג€œIron Patriotג€

The US Government has had their hands on this Stark suit for awhile, and apparently theyג€™ve decided to make it more patriotic (especially with the nano-technology stuff I hear is going down in China these days, itג€™s important for America to look good, not like ג€˜Iron Man 2′sג€™ bulky grey War Machine).

Thatג€™s why the set photo of ג€œIron Patriotג€ has the War Machine gun on his back, because itג€™s NOT Iron Patriot, itג€™s NOT James Badge Dale, itג€™s NOT Coldblood-7.

The scene they were shooting at the airport in North Carolina (where we once again nabbed some spy photos of the new armor) involves the Vice President and a flight to China. Since the world is a world of super-humans post Avengers, who better to guard the Veep than Americaג€™s most expensive armor?

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Confirmed at Comic Con that Kingsley will be playing the Mandarin

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Truth. wrote:Confirmed at Comic Con that Kingsley will be playing the Mandarin
Great news. I was hoping they wouldnt just throw that storyline to the wayside.

Post by 907 »

Supposedly this is the armor Stark is gonna wear most of the movie. I'm not crazy about the colors, not enough red.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Truth.

Re: Shane Black to direct Iron Man 3

Post by Truth. »

full trailer next week

Truth.

Re: Iron Man 3 (Dir: Shane Black) (May 3, 2013)

Post by Truth. »