Prometheus (Dir Riddley Scott) (SPOILERS!!!)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Trademark wrote:Just got back from the midnight showing... I love this movie so much that I'm confused about what people were expecting??? Phenomenal film!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! gotta see this movie.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Panama wrote:Event Horizon is solid sci-fi/horror flick (Mad underrated)

Proudly have a copy in my movie collection
fair enough. I never said it was the worst movie ever, I just said I was disappointed by it and that I didn't think it was a classic.

they did my dude Larry Fishburne foul.

the effects were pretty ill.
:leon: on the effects. The gravity drive or w/e looked dope.

What's up with the Fishburne comment though? How you mean? :omar:

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

Trademark wrote:Just got back from the midnight showing... I love this movie so much that I'm confused about what people were expecting??? Phenomenal film!!
glimmer of hope

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Trademark wrote:Slow burn sci-fi with less answers than questions is right up my alley.
GO WATCH LOST YOU FAGGOT

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Trademark wrote:Slow burn sci-fi with less answers than questions is right up my alley.
GO WATCH LOST YOU FAGGOT

exactly, why did the season suck so bad? we got the answers we really didn't want.

As far as Prometheus is concerned just look at the reviews on rt.com. The negative ones range from:

"oh my gosh this isn't Blade Runner or Alien" to "where was all the action and the gore, and I wasn't scared at all." to "Oh my gosh Ridley Scott just fell back into a mish mash of archetypes and situations from modern sci fi films."

oh you mean the type of genre film he basically invented? How dare he. In other words people wanted a rip-off of a masterpiece? "The (martian)Hills Have Eyes"? "Avatar vs. Predator?

if you approach this film on it's own terms and accept it as a stand alone work, who knows, you may actually enjoy it. People keep saying it's some mediation on creation vs. darwinism, which is stupid, yes teh story revolves around the origin of man(or whatever) but it's not even close to being as simple as "OMG we are a product of creation."

Here is what this film is, an impeccably shot and acted, superbly told, amazingly realized sci-fi action adventure film. It's dark in tone, and it works on all those terms. If you were expecting 2001 meets Alien meets Blade Runner wait 15 years(it may be that then). Also, Guy Pierce was fucking incredible in this, it's a small part but it's fucking brilliant.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

So is this shit worth spending the extra $ to watch in 3D or is 2D sufficient?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Does it foreshadow any of the weyland-yunaki business in the movie?
UBM CD COMING SOON

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

^ I read there's no mention of Yunaki at all in this.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/201 ... theus.html
Funny review by a guy who is nitpicking and deconstructing the movie visciously.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Yutani.

I'm finna see this bitch in a few hours. Was considering watching it on Imax in 3D, but then I saw that shit was $20. If I really like it, I'll cop some blu-rays and watch it that way.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Lid

Post by Lid »

watched movie, i am not disappoint. there is definitely shit to nitpick, but thats most movies. its not the best scifi movie ever, but far from some bullshit

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Lid wrote:watched movie, i am not disappoint. there is definitely shit to nitpick, but thats most movies. its not the best scifi movie ever, but far from some bullshit
nice, this is what i want to hear.

gonna go see this on sunday.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude wrote:So is this shit worth spending the extra $ to watch in 3D or is 2D sufficient?
Shit, I'll answer this myself. Just got back from watching it in 3D, and thought it was mos def worth the extra$. The scenery's just amazing and I think that in itself was worth the price of admission. As for the movie itself, it's good. Not the best, but certainly not the bullshit many are making this out to be. But I do agree that it just touches the surface on many interesting shit, but doesn't get deeper into them and explore them further. And the characters... not a single one to root for, care for. I literally didn't give a shit about any one of them. But whatever, that's alright in itself to me. You don't need a character you have to care about or feel connected to to enjoy a flick. I hope they do make a sequel to this. Was really surprised at how much of a stand alone film this was. Someone who's never watched the Alien series won't have a problem getting into this, and I can see how some hardcore Alien nerds were disappointed. David was def the most interesting character, and Fass just outshines everyone, but interestingly enough it was some of his actions that left me frustrated a lil bit.
Spoilers:

Why the fuck did David infect Charlie with that black liquid? I think it's obvious his goal was to have Elizabeth impregnated with that shit, but why? It's almost as if David already had the knowledge as to what the black substance was and how it works.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Echo Leader wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Panama wrote:Event Horizon is solid sci-fi/horror flick (Mad underrated)

Proudly have a copy in my movie collection
fair enough. I never said it was the worst movie ever, I just said I was disappointed by it and that I didn't think it was a classic.

they did my dude Larry Fishburne foul.

the effects were pretty ill.
:leon: on the effects. The gravity drive or w/e looked dope.

What's up with the Fishburne comment though? How you mean? :omar:
why the brother always gotta go out like that, huh? :bunk:

:shit:

word to 'Event Horizon' being MAAAD creepy. Holy bloodbath, Batman! I saw that in the theater and was looking around at the 6 other people with me like "is this fucking you up like it's fucking me up? yeeesh" :err:

but just like so many movies in life though, you're like "ohhh yeah that's dope!!..... oh, but... aw fuck, what was that? but, hey WHAAAAT OHHHHH oooh wow that was crazy ill!!! I can't wait to see... AW HELL NAW fuck this"

kinda like Prometheus, for me. They didn't answer every question, which was cool... but they didn't give us enough to make up our own answers without all its logic breaking down. It's kinda bleak in a off-putting way, actually. But it isn't bad. Just pretty :naswtf:

*kanyeshrug* :megaman:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alpha

Post by alpha »

:roll:

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i read (leonard maltin) the visuals are absolutely stunning and stopped there. it's time to throw on the 3d glasses for this one
Nets 2022

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

I went to the movie theater this afternoon to watch it by myself and I got to say it was actually very good. If you're going into it expecting a clone of James Cameron's Aliens then you will be highly disappointed. This movie takes it back to suspense and freakishness of Alien. There's also some great plot twists and tentacles.
Heeeey youuu guyyys - Goonies

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

the reason its kinda :wtf: is because a sequel to this particular movie would be weird as fuck... plus it doesn't connect to 'Alien'... yet, it still kinda tries to.

that's what's most :thebest: about 'Prometheus'

or 'Pro-MEH-theus', as I have jokingly referred to it as, :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:the reason its kinda :wtf: is because a sequel to this particular movie would be weird as fuck... plus it doesn't connect to 'Alien'... yet, it still kinda tries to.

that's what's most :thebest: about 'Prometheus'

or 'Pro-MEH-theus', as I have jokingly referred to it as, :rofl:
Well the ending is not suppose to tie in with Alien. I read somewhere that Ridley Scott wants to make it into a trilogy but that's only if Prometheus doesn't bomb at the Box Office. I guess the third film will end where Alien begins but again that's only if Prometheus is succesful at the BO.
Heeeey youuu guyyys - Goonies

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude wrote:Spoilers:

Why the fuck did David infect Charlie with that black liquid? I think it's obvious his goal was to have Elizabeth impregnated with that shit, but why? It's almost as if David already had the knowledge as to what the black substance was and how it works.
I was wondering about this as well. Does anybody have some insights to share?

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ I think the plot is intentionally vague, in that instance overtly so, because the writers themselves have no idea where they were going with this.

It's a smart enough marketing-strategy. When you only give the movie half a story and throw in some middlebrow-philosophy it's sure to get nerds on the net arguing and raise interest for the movie.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Trademark wrote:I know I'm going to love this movie, why? Because I'm not a faggot. Slow burn sci-fi with less answers than questions is right up my alley. Mix in amazing effects, performances, and set pieces and it's a wrap. I'm going at midnight
LOL. So if you don't like this piss-poor film, then you must be homosexual. Ok, Mr Shoes With Toes Man.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

drizzle wrote:eu getting it earlier is actually what's driving the commotion and kinda fucking up everybody's expectations
Well, welcome to our world.

Lid

Post by Lid »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:^ I think the plot is intentionally vague, in that instance overtly so, because the writers themselves have no idea where they were going with this.

It's a smart enough marketing-strategy. When you only give the movie half a story and throw in some middlebrow-philosophy it's sure to get nerds on the net arguing and raise interest for the movie.
this. every internet nerd who thinks aliens are real has come up with all kinds of crazy shit to fill in the vagueness/plot holes

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

I figured it may possibly have something to do with David following secret orders from Weyland, but that still wouldn't explain the "why". I'm not gonna lose any sleep over that shit, but I just wanted to know if I actually missed something while watchin it or if it was just shitty plot hole. Looks like the latter. And after having slept on it, I still like the film overall.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:
Trademark wrote:I know I'm going to love this movie, why? Because I'm not a faggot. Slow burn sci-fi with less answers than questions is right up my alley. Mix in amazing effects, performances, and set pieces and it's a wrap. I'm going at midnight
LOL. So if you don't like this piss-poor film, then you must be homosexual. Ok, Mr Shoes With Toes Man.

if you think this film is piss poor you have terrible taste. I mean it's one thing to not like it, but it is in no way "piss poor"...

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Loved it...creepy as fuck. IMAX always helps take me into the world, no exception here.

That one scene yo...one of the craziest shits ever.

Visuals, acting, plot all there...one of the best Sci-Fi flicks I've seen in a while.

alpha

Post by alpha »

best 3d movie I've ever seen. shits all over Avatar as far visuals go.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

this movie was very good, if you are an alien fan you will love it, just dont go into watching it thinkin its an alien film, does that makes sense?

its def a stand alone film as well as a "prequel" of sorts

and its def one of those movies you actually need to think about for a bit afterwards

i really like this and cant wait to see it again , and read up on it and maybe get some inside info on some of the details

this movie just opened up a whole new can of worms

everybody is going in blind no matter what

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

SPOILER ALERT:

so basicly the "space jockeys" had these bio weapon "creatures" (the original form of Facehuggers) and then it went terribly wrong once they realized it was about to and could wipe out their own species too? [hence them(the space jockeys) trying to escape the ship]

weyland thinks they hold the answer to immortality?, which i dont really understand yet

ahhhhhh i need to watch this again so many questions still unanswered, yet are there in the movie