The Dark Knight Rises - July 20, 2012

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i want catwoman in my life
best character was robin (nh)
bane wasn't that interesting
despite their realistic tone the nolan movies are just as comic book as the tim burton ones. the characters are less developed. compare catwomen for example. as a c. bale fan i've been waiting for him to do some actual acting since 2005. now that batmans over maybe he will.
i like this movie though.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Moolah wrote:
perlman wrote:All the black people in the theater I saw it at seemed most impressed by the Bat Bike. They would go wooooooooooo! Everytime it was on screen. Also when Neeson showed up on screen they all whispered Leeeam Neeeeson. It was weird.
:lol: :omgracist:
when cillian murphy showed up i whispered cillian murrphy
1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
Moolah wrote:
perlman wrote:All the black people in the theater I saw it at seemed most impressed by the Bat Bike. They would go wooooooooooo! Everytime it was on screen. Also when Neeson showed up on screen they all whispered Leeeam Neeeeson. It was weird.
:lol: :omgracist:
when cillian murphy showed up i whispered cillian murrphy
:rofl:

death! ...by exile!

:cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I don't fault the Nolan films for the villains lacking character development as they way they're presented in a specific directorial choice. Instead of a villain-origin movie that makes the bulk of the film more about the bad guys than Batman himself, the characters appear fully established and develop with each interaction as opposed to forcing in exposition.

I do wish we would have learned the history of Bane a bit earlier on in the film though. I also wish he would have talked more, not had his lines all ADR'ed, shown his disfigured face, and had a cooler final moment on screen than Catwoman blasting him with a gun.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:no sexy love scenes :roper:
I'll take the way Nolan dealt with Rachel Daws (especially in TDK) over and overwrought Vicky Vale or Chase Meridian story any day.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

samdoom wrote:was anyone else hoping that final scene with alfred at the cafe would end with it ambiguous whether he saw bruce wayne or not? i'd prob have preferred an inception-type ambiguous ending as opposed to the "they all got away and lived happily ever after" feel. maybe i'm in the minority though
The sequencing at the end was really weird, trying to fit in Robin finding the cave and Bats still being alive.

Probably would have been best to have it end like it did(Robin rising up the platform) but moving the stuff with Alfred after the credits ultimately ending the trilogy when Alfred noticed Bruce Wayne(the smile) but never actually showing him.

Also I'm in the camp that thinks this is nearly on the same level as TDK.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:no sexy love scenes :roper:
I'll take the way Nolan dealt with Rachel Daws (especially in TDK) over and overwrought Vicky Vale or Chase Meridian story any day.
Bruce Wayne is a billionaire playboy in the comics. In these movies, Bale is a fucking monk, damn near. :roper: !

there are relationships between Bruce and women... but they are all anemic and emotionless and shitty. Bruce's woman gets blown up in the last movie and nobody gives a fuck, cause there was no emotion generated for her. You failed as a movie director if you kill off your female love interest and it doesn't register sadness or empathy.
The death of Harvey Dent mattered more, in the last movie and this one too. Even when Talia picks up a picture of Rachel in this movie, Bruce doesn't even emote any god damn concern. Nolan you suck at displaying male/female passion! It's the core of damn near every fucking superhero story, and that is unchangeable. Ask Mary-Jane Watson, Lois Lane... fuck, even Logan gets the name 'Wolverine' from the woman he loves, in his origin movie.
DKR's emotionality is still pretty one-dimensional :bunk:

the Vicky Vale love story was proper, whatchew talmbout, Willez
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Dark Knight Rises sucked. Not enough romance and Batman was too emotionally unavailable.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:there are relationships between Bruce and women... but they are all anemic and emotionless and shitty. Bruce's woman gets blown up in the last movie and nobody gives a fuck, cause there was no emotion generated for her. You failed as a movie director if you kill off your female love interest and it doesn't register sadness or empathy.
I'll agree to disagree on this. I thought Rachel (the Gyllenhaal version) was framed very well. It meant something when she died in TDK, it was a strong choice to make for the story and it raised the stakes on everything else that was happening in the movie.

Also, in TDKR Bruce's relationship with Alfred (the only other major "relationship" in his life) is directly effected by his love/admiration/emotion for Rachel Dawes.

Vicky and Bruce's love story read far more one dimensional to me....something like what Natalie Portman did in Thor...an impossibly beautiful woman who is also spectacularly great at her mundane job (news reporter/astro-physicist) and becomes romantically involved with a superhero. Shit is mad pedestrian in my opinion.

I mean just because every bit of romance isnt telegraphed to the audience through love scenes doesnt mean that the emotion isnt there.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Bane was all burn sauce during the first fight:
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Brougham33 wrote:Bane was all burn sauce during the first fight:
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me.

I won't lie I was fucking terrified during that scene. His voice worked amazingly well there!

alpha

Post by alpha »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Dark Knight Rises sucked. Not enough romance and Batman was too emotionally unavailable.
and the new batmobile blows. :lol:

Panama

Post by Panama »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Dark Knight Rises sucked. Not enough romance and Batman was too emotionally unavailable.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Just saw this shit again, So how did the wall Street scene start at the opening bell and eight minutes later end in the middle of the night?

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Trademark wrote:Just saw this shit again, So how did the wall Street scene start at the opening bell and eight minutes later end in the middle of the night?
I forgot to mention that in my list of shit that didn't make sense about the film.

This movie got issues, bruh.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

ric

Post by ric »

jamrage wrote:I understand why Bane has the painkillers, but you'd think that he'd secure the mask a little bit better. If anyone hits him in the face it's shit your pants time.

The makeout thing was just too much for me given all the rest of the crap. It just delved a bit too far into the corny superhero nonsense that this series of films has tried to avoid. I wouldn't have batted an eyelash if the same thing had happened during "The Avengers".

They made a big deal about there not being autopilot remember? It was while Fox was getting that device out of the Batchopper.
you have some good points but the lines between symbolism and realism are purposefully blurred for this movie but not in a gimmicke way in my opinion. the thing about the jump is that i dont think all those other dudes ought to have been able to make that jump just by virtue of them trying for so long etc, and i think its case in point for the sentence before this one - i dont think thats forced or gimmicky. you have two or three curved steps to make a huge jump like that, in a big fucking cavern thing where size perspective is all skewed? doesnt seem gimmicky to me.

also theyve bought a shit load of goodwill with this series, and theres enough mixing of legendary type shit and feels-real type shit from the very beginning that i think the stuff like the doctor telling the other guy how to fix him up (which is awesome in my opinion) is totally acceptable

and if i remember correctly batman had been smashing banes mask in for a decent period of time before bane was finally weakened just enough for batman to edge him out, and i thought that fight was sweetly done, because if you remember theres really only a couple of his plugs that are undone that talia puts back together, but if youve been breathing morphine for that many years of your life, presumably youd be pretty fucked up when your intake changes - and bane doesnt even get that fucked up, he just becomes sluggish and angrier and then weaker

anyway :cheers: really thought this movie was fucking sweet

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

LOL SIG
Nets 2022

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:there are relationships between Bruce and women... but they are all anemic and emotionless and shitty. Bruce's woman gets blown up in the last movie and nobody gives a fuck, cause there was no emotion generated for her. You failed as a movie director if you kill off your female love interest and it doesn't register sadness or empathy.
I'll agree to disagree on this. I thought Rachel (the Gyllenhaal version) was framed very well. It meant something when she died in TDK, it was a strong choice to make for the story and it raised the stakes on everything else that was happening in the movie.

Also, in TDKR Bruce's relationship with Alfred (the only other major "relationship" in his life) is directly effected by his love/admiration/emotion for Rachel Dawes.

Vicky and Bruce's love story read far more one dimensional to me....something like what Natalie Portman did in Thor...an impossibly beautiful woman who is also spectacularly great at her mundane job (news reporter/astro-physicist) and becomes romantically involved with a superhero. Shit is mad pedestrian in my opinion.

I mean just because every bit of romance isnt telegraphed to the audience through love scenes doesnt mean that the emotion isnt there.
I don't need it telegraphed. I just think these Nolan/Batman comic book movies had the LEAST romantic chemistry generated by their characters, and the LEAST emotional investment/payoff inspired by their twisted fates.

Natalie Portman in 'Thor' was miscast I thought at first, but then they made it work half-decently, by using COMEDY and shifts in emotion. Batman's love life is binary: living or dead. There wasn't a scene of magic connection generating, to me. And in the new movie, Bruce literally says nothing, and doesn't even EMOTE anything substantial when Talia goes "who is this?" and shows the picture of Maggie Gyllenhaal.

:bunk:
Brougham33 wrote:Bane was all burn sauce during the first fight:
:cheers: WINNER! GANYO!

this was his "And you will know my name is the LORD!... when I strike vengeance upon thee with great and fuuuurious anger!" moment, making a killing look mo' sexy.

probably Bane's best moment. Bane's superior subtlety was divine.

"Why did you bring him here?"
"It's Commissioner Gordon, sir!"
"...." *choke first thug to death*
says to second thug: "First, search Gordon. And then I will kill you."
:ohsh: :rickjames:
cooooold bloooooded

:cheers:

young nova

Post by young nova »

Lol if I was on morphine all the time I definitely wouldn't be as ambitious as bane. Loved the movie bane definitely sounded like snl sean connery though.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Bale is the best Batman, its just Keaton is the best Bruce Wayne

pretty good movie, seen the Talia twist right when she talked about not always being wealthy, Batman Returns is still the greatest Batman movie ever.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Tom Hardy based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom and Ireland, often referred to as the, "King of the Gypsies." He told The Hollywood Reporter, "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter. A Romani gypsy. Which I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino. His particular accent is very specific, which was a gypsy accent. So that's why it was difficult to understand. But once you tune into it, you get it. I hope."
:cheers: :bow:

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I kept expecting Sofia Coppola to show up.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Tom Hardy based his voice for Bane on Bartley Gorman (1944 - 2002), an Irish Traveller who was the undefeated Bare-knuckle boxing champion of the United Kingdom and Ireland, often referred to as the, "King of the Gypsies." He told The Hollywood Reporter, "The choice of the accent is actually a man called Bartley Gorman, who was a bare knuckle fighter. A Romani gypsy. Which I wanted to underpin the Latin, but a Romani Latin opposed to Latino. His particular accent is very specific, which was a gypsy accent. So that's why it was difficult to understand. But once you tune into it, you get it. I hope."
:cheers: :bow:
Irish gypsies are not romani. So he did that stupid accent for nothing.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

saw this at a pretty bland day/time (Tuesday 3:50pm) & the majority of the theater clapped when it finished

I really enjoyed it, although personally I'd put it behind the first two. I was a MASSIVE fan of Begins, what Bale did with Batman etc. & I was alright with him getting less focus in the second because Heath as the Joker was so compelling.

Only have minor complaints with this one,

Wish Bane's death was more climactic,

A scene or two of some pandemonium via general populace in the streets, rather than Gordon & troops being virtually the only ones out there, tracking trucks,

Would have preferred more Bale / Less JGL. I'd be interested in a potential future movie with JGL as Batman, but while this trilogy is going on, I'd rather see more current Batman story & less set up / background building for a 'could be'.

Finally, endings really influence how much I like a movie. I thought the first two fit so well, but this one was just alright. Something like this:
samdoom wrote:was anyone else hoping that final scene with alfred at the cafe would end with it ambiguous whether he saw bruce wayne or not?
would have been better.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

jamrage wrote:Then Batman escapes by *gasp* making a really long jump that most of those dudes should have been able to make. He somehow manages to run back into Gotham despite people falling through the ice all over the place.
remember in Batman Begins when he & Ra's had that scene on the ice?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Pronay wrote: Image

a good look for Bale. propers.

and probably pretty surreal. its kinda like "i went to see you but i got shot. now you come to see me? that shit cray"

saw this movie for the third time in theaters today. its weird, some of it stands up to scrutiny and even ties together tighter, some of it is still wonky.

and holy fuck, there could have been a CLASSIC movie here if fucking Nolan didn't get all made-for-TV-action-movie-like and lame by editing out the moments of impact of damn near EVERY FUCKING SCENE with something relevant happening.

you know why the movie doesn't quite feel like it begins with a bang? because, even though one plane ganks another plane and rips it to pieces... they cut away from the falling, hijacked airplane BEFORE IT EVEN FUCKING HITS THE GROUND :bunk:

no sound of an explosion. no visual of an explosion. which all equals essentially: no RESOLUTION.

yeah, i can imagine a plane exploding... but i can imagine it from DIE HARD, or AIR FORCE ONE, where they SHOW shit ACTUALLY blowing up when it is supposed to. (Choose whatever inventive angle you want to show the explosion from, Nolan... but -show something-, you schmuck!)

I haven't seen a plane REALLY blow up, Nolan. So when you edit out CRUCIAL moments in scenes to "leave it to our imagination", you fucking FAIL to create a true dream vision for us. You might as well just fade to black when major moments occur, or just put a huge letterbox over the screen saying "Bane got shot by Catwoman, he's dead now" instead of showing us a fucking INCOMPLETE and unsatisfying death sequence for one of the illest villains in recent cinematic history.

remember when Magneto threw a quarter through Sebastian Shaw's skull? remember the slow motion? remember the build-up of tension? remember the impact of the moment of seeing the quarter enter Kevin Bacon's head? remember the moment when it comes out the back of his brain? remember the feeling of completion and catharsis you felt because it was the same quarter from the beginning of the movie that was involved in the death of Magneto's mother? :killacam:

uh: yeah. learn something, Nolan. There are times when you MUST BE OBVIOUS. it's a fucking MOVIE. if i wanted to see superheroes fight and fill in all the important blanks with my imagination, i would stay home and look at a wall, you fucking buzzkiller.

The Dark Knight Rises is a great movie with shitty editing and some egregious plot holes. But it's still dope.

seeing people wearing Batman t-shirts has a different meaning right now...

alpha

Post by alpha »

it's pretty clear you're nit-picking a movie that you obviously like.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

It was fine.

Curiosity: Does Batman getting trapped in an Orientalist well and needing to make a Lara Croft jump to escape come from any source material, or that's fresh from the mind of Nolan?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:Curiosity: Does Batman getting trapped in an Orientalist well and needing to make a Lara Croft jump to escape come from any source material, or that's fresh from the mind of Nolan?
A little of both. I believe it was Nolan's way of working in the "Lazarus Pit" from the books which is a pit used by Ra's Al Ghul to rejuvenate himself and remain immortal. I also believe Bruce's vision of him in the pit "there are many forms of immortality" is a nod to that.