anime?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ackbar
Super Canadian

Re: anime?

Post by ackbar »

catch me in the trap waiting for the reup watching ranma 1/2 & sailor moon

ruraloutfitter

Post by ruraloutfitter »

Random Sample wrote:
ruraloutfitter wrote: I like Mononoke, but I actually prefer Nausicaa. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it highly.

i'ma catch flak by saying this but i'm a huge Miyazaki fan and Nausicaa is one of my least favorite works by him. his first 3 movies just feel severely outdated -- i enjoyed them when i was much younger but nowadays i can't sit through them from start to finish (don't get me wrong though, Lupin III and the rest of the franchise is the shit.) i re-watched Nausicaa recently and found the main character to be an obnoxious, overly emotional and sentimental Mary Sue who wouldn't shut the fuck up about protecting the creatures and the environment. it was a bit painful to watch. other Miyazaki joints have similar characters but Nausicaa just took it overboard. in my opinion, Miyazaki's signature aesthetic and focus on meticulous detail wasn't fully developed until Totoro. also related: the next Miyazaki movie is gonna be Porco Rosso 2, which i'm not too excited about. Miyazaki is getting up there in age and i guess it's wishful thinking that i want his last few movies to be amazing Spirited Away or Mononoke caliber masterpieces.

the Evangelion movies are definitely dope. for those that don't know, by the end of the TV series, the production studio depleted their budget as well as having other problems so they were forced to make the last 2 episodes with virtually no money. the ep's turned out to be these abstract picture slideshows topped with narration written with a fucked up psychological angle. fans became angry, some sent death threats, so they rallied and the studio ended up getting funds to finish the series properly. that's how the 2 movies came about.

anybody seen the Evangelion 1.0-3.0 rebuild movies? i never bothered to check them out but i heard they were good, and i think there's 1 more coming out.

i never knew that die hard Kenshin fans hated Trust & Betrayal but i'm not surprised, they're nothing alike. i went through the entire TV series kind of as a guilty pleasure back in high school, thought they were fun and enjoyable. watched Trust & Betrayal directly after and was completely blown away by it. seeing how they took the world and adapted it into a serious, dark, bloody, and mature interpretation was ill as fuck. Reflection, the other Kenshin movie, is garbage though.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

there are two collections of 3 or maybe 4 short movies i really liked. the stories are mostly in the vein of classic science fiction short stories
one is Neo Tokyo

the other one memories

i liked a lot of the stuff mentioned here. i'm not sure if Jin-Roh has already been mentioned taht movie was cool iirc

and even though its an obvious pick i cant understand how Ghost ion the shell has only been mentioned like a footnote. its a great movie and i personally can also recommend the sequel and to a lesser extent the series

ridilindies

Post by ridilindies »

ruraloutfitter wrote:
Random Sample wrote:
ruraloutfitter wrote: I like Mononoke, but I actually prefer Nausicaa. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it highly.

i'ma catch flak by saying this but i'm a huge Miyazaki fan and Nausicaa is one of my least favorite works by him. his first 3 movies just feel severely outdated -- i enjoyed them when i was much younger but nowadays i can't sit through them from start to finish (don't get me wrong though, Lupin III and the rest of the franchise is the shit.) i re-watched Nausicaa recently and found the main character to be an obnoxious, overly emotional and sentimental Mary Sue who wouldn't shut the fuck up about protecting the creatures and the environment. it was a bit painful to watch. other Miyazaki joints have similar characters but Nausicaa just took it overboard. in my opinion, Miyazaki's signature aesthetic and focus on meticulous detail wasn't fully developed until Totoro. also related: the next Miyazaki movie is gonna be Porco Rosso 2, which i'm not too excited about. Miyazaki is getting up there in age and i guess it's wishful thinking that i want his last few movies to be amazing Spirited Away or Mononoke caliber masterpieces.

the Evangelion movies are definitely dope. for those that don't know, by the end of the TV series, the production studio depleted their budget as well as having other problems so they were forced to make the last 2 episodes with virtually no money. the ep's turned out to be these abstract picture slideshows topped with narration written with a fucked up psychological angle. fans became angry, some sent death threats, so they rallied and the studio ended up getting funds to finish the series properly. that's how the 2 movies came about.

anybody seen the Evangelion 1.0-3.0 rebuild movies? i never bothered to check them out but i heard they were good, and i think there's 1 more coming out.

i never knew that die hard Kenshin fans hated Trust & Betrayal but i'm not surprised, they're nothing alike. i went through the entire TV series kind of as a guilty pleasure back in high school, thought they were fun and enjoyable. watched Trust & Betrayal directly after and was completely blown away by it. seeing how they took the world and adapted it into a serious, dark, bloody, and mature interpretation was ill as fuck. Reflection, the other Kenshin movie, is garbage though.
I'm glad you brought up thew new Neon Genesis movies, the creator felt the story could be better then the tv series and movies that initially followed the series, so he edited the excess scenes out, added new characters, and of course improved the quality of the art itself, It will be a 4 part movie series BTW.

Also props to shouting out

Bleach (best tv series right now in Anime)
Death Note (Best short series ever)
Code Geass (Very twisted and short series as well)
Cowboy Bebop (Classic series)