DIY Guerilla Drive In

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

DIY Guerilla Drive In

Post by Trademark »

So for my motherfucking 30th BURFDAY I'm going to throw up a guerilla drive in downtown. My only issue is what fucking movie to show. I'm not worried about copyright law, there are guerilla drive ins all over the country who have fucking websites and advertising and don't seemed to get sued so fuck the bullshit. What is a perfect movie to show for a large group of people. Something American, something bad ass(PG-13 but I'm open to R if it's not gratuitous) and something that isn't that long. Thoughts and ideas??? I thought like Rear Window would be a bad ass choice but that might turn off casual viewers. Help me get old with dignity and respect and choose a movie that folks would enjoy.

Tommy Bunz

Re: DIY Guerilla Drive In

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Who is your audience? Just your friends or is this a public thing? Does it have to be in color?

Staples like Star Wars or Back to the Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark are always crowd pleasers.
When I think of drive-in movies I think of classic horror like The Birds or The Blob. Or classic sci-fi like Body Snatchers or Day the Earth Stood Still.
Thunder Road is another classic permanently associated with Drive-ins.
Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Jaws or Pirahna (the joe dante one).
Terminator 2

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Staples like Star Wars or Back to the Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark are always crowd pleasers.
don't overthink it and just do this, especially if you're gonna get a bunch of people to come. even though most have seen these on tv millions of times, many have never had a chance to experience them on a big screen, how they're really mean to be seen. it's a huge treat. I randomly caught a screening of Raiders a little while ago, and it was one of the best movie experiences I've had in years. I walked out feeling like an 8 year old
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

aleph

Post by aleph »

Nothing wrong with Hitchcock. How about Bullitt or Midnight Run? Great crowd movies but probably a little too long

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote: Staples like Star Wars or Back to the Future or Raiders of the Lost Ark are always crowd pleasers.
don't overthink it and just do this, especially if you're gonna get a bunch of people to come. even though most have seen these on tv millions of times, many have never had a chance to experience them on a big screen, how they're really mean to be seen. it's a huge treat. I randomly caught a screening of Raiders a little while ago, and it was one of the best movie experiences I've had in years. I walked out feeling like an 8 year old

The audience is about 20 friends and family and then I assume lots of randoms. I agree, do the smart thing. I remember the first time I tried to impress some folks by showing them Band of Outsiders, that backfired... Thanks guys!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That's a fucking awful film, blud.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Lol i had a similar experience some years back when a friend of mine got random access to an empty movie theater. We got a bunch of people together, and it fell to me to pick the movie. I chose Videodrome, since I just grabbed the criterion of it and was super hyped for a chance to see it on the big screen. That shit did not go over well at all, like 5 people out of 20 were into it.

You gotta play to the lowest common denominator in situations like these - recent movies (released within the lifespan of your audience) with a lighter tone, specifically well known classics and comedies work best.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Yeah, I think Killer Klowns or Army of Darkness would work really well and you're keeping with a Halloween theme as well.

I think this is a great idea btw, you should be fine in terms of copyright as long as you're not charging an admission. Hell even if you are, you'd probably be fine as long as it's a one off.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]