Sympathy for Lady Vengeance remake

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance remake

Post by Truth. »

Annapurna Pictures, Denver & Delilah Films and CJ Entertainment Partner for SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE Adaptation by William Monahan

Oscar® Winners Charlize Theron to Star and William Monahan to Adapt Final Chapter of Park Chan-wook’s Acclaimed Revenge Trilogy

Los Angeles, CA (November 28, 2012) – Charlize Theron’s Denver & Delilah Films, CJ Entertainment, and Megan Ellison’s Annapurna Pictures have partnered to produce an adaptation by William Monahan of Park Chan-wook’s SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE.

Theron will star as well as produce with Denver & Delilah partner Beth Kono, Annapurna Pictures’ Megan Ellison and Chelsea Barnard, CJ Entertainment’s Ted Kim, and William Monahan. Justine Suzanne Jones of Henceforth Pictures, AJ Dix of Denver & Delilah, Ted Schipper of Annapurna Pictures and Miky Lee of CJ Entertainment will executive produce. Ellison and Annapurna Pictures will finance the film. Panorama Media will serve as the international sales agent.

LADY VENGEANCE is the story of a woman who for reasons of her own completes a prison term for a murder she did not commit, reemerging to punish the killer, and avenge the dead.

“This will be very American – and very unexpected,” says Monahan. “Park is a genius; it’s the Everest of adaptations and I’ve got blood in my teeth to do it.”

A dramatist, director and novelist, William Monahan recently completed the screenplay for THE GAMBLER for Martin Scorsese at Paramount, and Robert Rodriguez’s SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR. He will next direct MOJAVE, an original thriller. He won an Academy Award® for Best Adapted Screenplay for THE DEPARTED, directed by Martin Scorsese, which earned four Oscars®, including Best Picture. His production company, Henceforth Pictures, has a number of feature and television projects in development, including a screen adaptation of his first novel, Light House: A Trifle, and “The Throwaways”, a New Yorker piece by journalist Sarah Stillman.

jamrage

Re: Sympathy for Lady Vengeance remake

Post by jamrage »

I loved the original, but no.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

jamrage wrote:I loved the original, but no.
Basically. But out of the trilogy, this is the one that I'm most open to the idea of a remake and seems adaptable into an American story.
Much more than Oldboy ever did, that's for damn sure.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Not to sidetrack the thread but what the consensus on ranking the original trilogy?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

alpha wrote:Not to sidetrack the thread but what the consensus on ranking the original trilogy?
quality by order of release

so

mr
oldboy
lady

which is incidentally why I agree with Tommy - of the 3 Lady came off as the most superficial, it was super glossy and didn't really resonate emotionally in the same way as the other two did. so might as well remake it, it would just be a matter of transplanting the pretty visuals and violence into an american setting.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I flipflop on my preference between oldboy and mr. vengeance, currently siding with oldboy. Probably entirely because its the one i've watched most recently.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I pick Mr because I don't like a lot of what happens in the second half of Oldboy. The first half is so much better, once you start finding out what it's all about and who the villain is it starts to slide off, and when the hypnosis shit hits it's a wrap. Just shitty writing imo. Time machines, 'it was all a dream' and hypnosis are biggest cop-out denouements, 9/10 times they get on my nerves.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:I pick Mr because I don't like a lot of what happens in the second half of Oldboy. The first half is so much better, once you start finding out what it's all about and who the villain is it starts to slide off, and when the hypnosis shit hits it's a wrap. Just shitty writing imo. Time machines, 'it was all a dream' and hypnosis are biggest cop-out denouements, 9/10 times they get on my nerves.
Agreed, it's film school shit.

I'd reverse your rankings.

1)Lady
2)Oldboy
3)Mr.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I'm with tommy.

I flip flop between Oldboy and Mr.

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

drizzle wrote:
alpha wrote:Not to sidetrack the thread but what the consensus on ranking the original trilogy?
quality by order of release

so

mr
oldboy
lady

which is incidentally why I agree with Tommy - of the 3 Lady came off as the most superficial, it was super glossy and didn't really resonate emotionally in the same way as the other two did. so might as well remake it, it would just be a matter of transplanting the pretty visuals and violence into an american setting.
same here. Oldboy's dope but Mr. is just dirty as fuck. It put me in solid depression for a couple weeks.