BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LilLeftBrain

Re: BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Post by LilLeftBrain »

went to go buy that sepinwall at barnes and noble last week and for whatever dumbshit reason they didn't have it, gonna go track it down here soon, really looking fwd to it
moved by duck muscles

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Just finished The Hobbit, starting the Lord of the Rings trilogy now. Never read them before but I enjoyed The Hobbit for the most part. A lot of differences from the movie I noticed

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

bombadil comin'
moved by duck muscles

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Joe Pesci wrote:Just finished The Hobbit, starting the Lord of the Rings trilogy now. Never read them before but I enjoyed The Hobbit for the most part. A lot of differences from the movie I noticed
Haven't read the book in years, didn't really remember the rock/mountain characters from the movie in the book, were they in there?
UBM CD COMING SOON

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I had an advanced copy of this book for months. Didn't know it became a big deal when Black Thought did a freestyle about it. Great book so far. Wouldn't mind seeing it adapted into a movie under the right circumstances.

"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

dope read.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

yo white racist avenger white guilt hippies:

read this book:

guns, germs & steel

jared diamond

no on the real while it is basically a tome that dissolves any credibility racists think racism has...it is loaded with so many facts you didn't know in a very logically organized fashion...you won't be disappointed

plus there's pictures of all types of aboriginal/native peoples including a picture of boobies that hang like 4 feet low
Nets 2022

zappy

Post by zappy »

Reason wrote:yo white racist avenger white guilt hippies:

read this book:

guns, germs & steel

jared diamond

no on the real while it is basically a tome that dissolves any credibility racists think racism has...it is loaded with so many facts you didn't know in a very logically organized fashion...you won't be disappointed

plus there's pictures of all types of aboriginal/native peoples including a picture of boobies that hang like 4 feet low
kinda late to be doing your summer reading bro

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^^it's well known & a dope book. to balance it out peep "a farewell to alms," the book written by a california economist that stops just short of arguing that WASPs are genetically evolved to be superior economic agents and will forever triumph over their brown subjects. both books changed my life in opposite directions and i'm still a racist.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

admiral

Post by admiral »

I've been on a Jim Thompson bender the last couple of months:

The Killer Inside Me
Pop 1280
Grifters
The Getaway
Savage Night
Swell Looking Babe
After Dark, My Sweet

Currently on the Kill-Off

Thompson writes psychopaths, killers, losers, alcoholics, and no-good women better than anyone this side of Bukowski

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

Id hit a hell of a woman next.

Or the collection of his short stories "fireworks"
Hemingway Novel Model

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic book.

Gonna start Choke by Chuck Palahaniuk next

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re:

Post by Philaflava »

ALASKA wrote:
RacquetballGangsta wrote:Image

funnest read ive had in a while...educates u a bit about eating out/cooking too. dude is a really really entertaining, sometimes eloquent writer.
that was a good book. i've eaten at his restaurant a few times. pretty killer.
Its because of this book I rarely do brunches and I never eat fish early in the week.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Joe Pesci wrote:Just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Fantastic book.
did you know ice9 is a real thing?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Also Relevant To Joke Thread:
Query: What Can A Thoughtful Man Hope For Mankind On Earth, Given The Experience Of The Past Million Years?
Lamont Coleman Would Tell You: Nothing.
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

now finishing Image up. good book, don't be dismayed by the dreadful cover. makes me want to spend some time in n'awlins here soon
moved by duck muscles

Post by 360 »

The Lies of Locke Lamora

The first installment in Scott Lynch's 'Gentlemen Bastards" series.

Really fun. Can't wait to get the other books.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Law
The Law, original French title La Loi, is a 1850 book by Frédéric Bastiat. It was written at Mugron two years after the third French Revolution and a few months before his death of tuberculosis at age 49.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Employee wrote:The Law
The Law, original French title La Loi, is a 1850 book by Frédéric Bastiat. It was written at Mugron two years after the third French Revolution and a few months before his death of tuberculosis at age 49.
That's a great little book.

now reading:

RacquetballGangsta

Re: Re:

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

Philaflava wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

funnest read ive had in a while...educates u a bit about eating out/cooking too. dude is a really really entertaining, sometimes eloquent writer.
Its because of this book I rarely do brunches and I never eat fish early in the week.
yall should read this next if u havent.

bourdain and batali's hero...ramsay's mentor. just finished this. pretty good..i might like kitchen confidential slightly more. prob cuz bourdain's a writer...marco's approach to food and cooking is crazy though.
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

ric

Post by ric »

@rbg
the devil in the kitchen...marco pierre white...thank you SO much

:cheers:

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Escape From Camp 14

http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Camp-14-Re ... 0670023329

Shit is :ohsh: :ohsh: :err: :err: :err: . Amazing story about the only kid to escape from a North Korean prison camp. Most disturbing part by far is not only the horrible shit that happens, but the fact that he was born into the camp so his perceptions about what is right, wrong, etc. are completely skewed. His mum was hung and brother shot in front of him, and he felt glad because they had broke one of the camps rules. He had no loving bond between himself and his mother, rather he just saw her as another animal competing for food, so every day when she would go to work he would eat her food, and she would come home and beat him. A 5 year old classmate of his was beaten to death in class with a chalkboard pointer because she stole 3 kernels of corn.

Holocaust level shit still going on in the world in 2013. :bunk:

Post by 360 »

It's interesting because the world is the most peaceful it's ever been, according to the data.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cancer Ward examines the relationship of a group of people in the cancer ward of a provincial Soviet hospital in 1955, two years after Stalin's death. We see them under normal circumstances, and also reexamined at the eleventh hour of illness. Together they represent a remarkable cross-section of contemporary Russian characters and attitudes. The experiences of the central character, Oleg Kostoglotov, closely reflect the author's own: Solzhenitsyn himself became a patient in a cancer ward in the mid-1950s, on his release from a labor camp, and later recovered. Translated by Nicholas Bethell and David Burg.

ric

Post by ric »

seriously just got

The MAMMOTH Book of Best New Erotica (10th Edition)

read the first two stories so far. the first one was GREAT on a variety of levels and the second one not so much. still fapped it though for what thats worth....

hahahaha

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

:shittylikesometp:

ric

Post by ric »

@mercuthio
do you have any other/better suggestions of erotic stories? please advise.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

yall should read this next if u havent.

bourdain and batali's hero...ramsay's mentor. just finished this. pretty good..i might like kitchen confidential slightly more. prob cuz bourdain's a writer...marco's approach to food and cooking is crazy though.
I read this a while ago and while i thoroughly enjoyed it kitchen confidential shit all over it in terms of quality/readability/entertainment value. still a good book though.

I just finished Jon Dies At The End. really, really enjoyed it. Haven't laughed out loud at a book this much in a long, long, long time. maybe ever. Besides the sequel to this (which no book store in my area seems to carry right now) could someone suggest a book for me to read? doesn't have to be anything like Jon dies.., I'm just trying to find something to read. I also just finished re-reading the entire Wheel of time series all the way through over the past 5-6 weeks and now have nothing to read.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

aka ancient aliens the book

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

just finished an annotated new edition of it, and the notations suggest that he's kinda regretting making a big fuss about the fish/brunch thing. apparently it haunted him since the book was published because people took it to heart a bit too much, and by now the behind-the-scenes practices has changed some anyway. at one point there's a hand written note in big letters that says 'JUST ORDER THE DAMN FISH ALREADY'

great book overall though, very enjoyable. took Bourdaine's recommendation at the end and started reading Orwell's Down And Out In Paris and London, enjoying it as a slice of life thing far more than an indictment of poverty cause I'm a gentrifying hipster faggot I guess

on a similar note, anybody got any good rec's for books on history and philosophy of food/the industry of dining? not specific cookbooks, I'm looking for more general discourse on how certain trends and methods develop and catch on, etc
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo