Roast of James Franco

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Sylissez

Re: Roast of James Franco

Post by Sylissez »

To be fair, she's part of the Chelsea Handler crew, so calling her a comic is kind of a stretch.

That was embarrassingly bad though.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

jen kirkman is much more a part of the chelsea handler crew & she's hilarious tho

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

never heard k-man outside of the crab feast, but she always does her damn thing on there. did see her book, used & cheap, the other day, thought of buying, but didn't
moved by duck muscles

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Kirkman's funny on the 'casts, but she's a miserable, humorless cunt on twitter.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

hader, hill, aziz & samberg were the favourites in my eyes. hader seems the best dude & the comedians in cars drinking coffee line was prob my favorite of the night
moved by duck muscles

self

Post by self »

natasha leggero did pretty good. Dat Phil Hartman line dough. I dug aziz alot too.

Norm McDonald from the saget roast I still the one of the funniest things ever though

self

Post by self »

line of the night that Phil hart man line was pretty tough. can't decide between that and the 127 hours. Bill hader is one of the most talented folks out here

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

pretty consistently funny roast. thought kroll was the weakest. i think leggero's set would have been even funnier if she knew the people she was attacking even remotely. as someone else said, samberg probably made me laugh the hardest despite not being the best roaster. his performance was so bizarre but i thought he pulled it off well.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

leggero is really really hot. might eclipse whitney cumdog.

ReginaldWonder

Post by ReginaldWonder »

Leggero had the best insult roast and Hader had the funniest roast in my opinion. Personally, I think Natasha's set was the truest to what a roast should be when done correctly. Hader had a great idea that he executed perfectly, but if anyone else had done the same idea I don't think it would have been a tenth as funny. I definitely laughed more at Hader though. Silverman was funny as always, but she didn't have anything that stood out as extremely cutting or memorable.

Didn't think that Kroll's set was anything amazing but I did like his joke about Evan Goldberg/Seth's writing partner a lot.

Jonah Hill's set was the least funny and basically seemed like a poorly executed version of Samberg's idea/a "reverse" roast. He seemed to be too giddy and nervous at the same time and the delivery came out as if he'd had everything written for him (which, for all I know, he did). However, he seemed to be having the best time out of anyone there. Samberg wasn't all that funny to me personally, and I think it's a cop out to go the "Hey everyone's such a nice guy!!! BOOM! Just roasted all ya'all!" route. I wouldn't compare it to Norm's set from the Saget roast because I took Norm's set to be an anti-roast where he points out all these old hackneyed jokes/tropes/etc from past roasts while Andy's set seemed to be a "I'm not a mean person. I like all of you." type of thing. It wasn't unfunny, it just wasn't a roast really. However, Aziz looked and sounded butthurt about all the Indian jokes and even though he had some decent material, I think his set suffered from that.

Everyone else was alright though, funny but not overly so. I think that aside from Franco's rebuttal, it was one of the more consistent roasts in a while. There weren't too many low points and it didn't feel like it was dragging on too long. Still wish Jeselnik was there, or better yet zombie Patrice O'Neal/zombie Greg Giraldo.
*place meta joke here*

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

01. Dick in a Box
02. Seinfeld in Cars
03. Phil Hartman
04. Jonah T-Mobile
05. Barista Dark Roast

those were my top 5.

did you guys see aziz during the roast? i doubt he was that insulted. i agree his set was the weakest.. but i think he was mostly trying to go into the roast from a "progressive" angle. coming from a different lane trying to criticize the homophobia, racism, etc.
the jokes about aziz being a fame hungry narcissist rung the most true imo anyways

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

ackbar wrote:01. Dick in a Box
02. Seinfeld in Cars
03. Phil Hartman
04. Jonah T-Mobile
05. Barista Dark Roast
Yup, that's about right. :cheers:

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

That top 5 is good, but I'd put Jeffries 127 hours joke in there for Seinfeld in cars.
Samberg's "jesus!" reaction to the dick in a box joke was great.
Buy my mixtape.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

ReginaldWonder 100% agree with you.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I was also a fan of the line about Nick Kroll grabbing all the lizard faced jew roles.
Buy my mixtape.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

ackbar wrote: did you guys see aziz during the roast? i doubt he was that insulted. i agree his set was the weakest.. but i think he was mostly trying to go into the roast from a "progressive" angle. coming from a different lane trying to criticize the homophobia, racism, etc.
Patrice already did this brilliantly during the Charlie Sheen roast.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i don't really remember tbh. my point was that i don't think aziz seriously got his feelings hurt like others have been suggesting

ReginaldWonder

Post by ReginaldWonder »

ackbar wrote:My point was that i don't think aziz seriously got his feelings hurt like others have been suggesting
They're all professionals so I doubt anyone's feelings were truly hurt. Aziz just seemed a bit over all the Indian jokes, or perhaps the caliber of those jokes. There was a moment when he kept slapping his knee in a super exaggerated fashion and it seemed a bit mechanical/looked like he was trying to save face. If I had to bet, I'd say he had the least fun as a dais member.
*place meta joke here*

binary

Post by binary »

Hader won. Jonah Hill sucked. This shit was uncomfortably, extremely jewish.