What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

aleph

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by aleph »

Haha, some critic put Misty Beethoven on his Top 10 all-time Sight & Sound list, so you may want to check it out anyway. But then this dude also put Salo on top. Gonna check out Camille.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

dammit i'm pissed i totally missed the Fleicscher retro
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

aleph

Post by aleph »

You and me both. Missed Trapped last Friday, was set to see it tonite but not anymore

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Blue Jasmine (2013) (4/10) - This has to be the most overrated movie of the year. What am I missing here? Story's been done before and better. Characters this cartoonish are nothing new for Woody Allen, but at least when he did it in Whatever Works for example, it was entertaining. I put this at the level of To Rome With Love (though at least that movie had hot Penelope Cruz if nothing else)

Bernie (2012) (6/10) - Good enough little movie. Not pretty funny, but it carries along, sorta of like a true crime documentary (it is based on a true story). Jack Black is good in this.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) (8/10) - I'm not too big on this guy, but this is probably my favorite of his movies. It's kind of a screwball comedy done with his usual style and some great acting by everyone involved (especially Ralph Fiennes).

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) (6/10) - Kind of a run of the mill caper movie in a Hitchcock style. John McTiernan is in my mind one of the best visual directors of the last 30 years, and he's going all in in this one. What's missing is a fresh perspective on the genre, and the chemistry between two leads leaves a lot to be desired.

Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) (4/10) - What the hell was this. I couldn't even follow the story, and the rest is filled with the usual Terry Gilliam cliche stuff he does in every other movie. I was a big fan of this guy, but the older I get the more I realize he's a one trick pony and I'm no longer interested in his perspective.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Hide and Seek (2013) - A slasher-like film about Korean squatters and identity thieves. The suspense-scenes are really well made.
Dying to see this.

Under the Skin
6.5/10

Liked it, didn't love it. Loads of great things about it (Scarlett Johansson's performance, Scarlett Johansson being naked a lot, some of the amazing visual effects, the incongruity of Scarlett Johansson chatting to Celtic fans and walking round Primark in Glasgow etc) but it left me feeling underwhelmed.

Captain Phillips
7.5/10

Couldn't help but compare it to A Hijacking, which I preferred, but this was still a great film.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Footprints on the Moon (1975)
Not gonna lie or try to sound pretentious, I hardly understood everything going on, but piecing everything together long after the end titles has been very rewarding. It may seem very convoluted and i could have read everything wrong, but this might be one of my fave Italian film discoveries in ages. Also want to add, this film had a similar vibe to The Perfume of the Lady in Black and I feel all smug and shit because Kier-la Janisse spotted it too.

Autopsy, AKA Sunspots (1973)
Pretty good giallo with some fairly unique offerings for the genre that keep this interesting throughout. Mimsy Farmer is her usual giallo queen self, caught up in a spate of suicides that might not be suicides. You can second guess everything about to happen, but the film is still good fun.

Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975)
Already written about this film before, but this cross between Downton Abbey and The Bermuda Triangle still really unnerves me to no end. Its more a mystery drama than an out and out horror film, but it does remind me of Long Weekend, though. I ought to cop the soundtrack.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Spartan wrote:Footprints on the Moon (1975)
Not gonna lie or try to sound pretentious, I hardly understood everything going on, but piecing everything together long after the end titles has been very rewarding. It may seem very convoluted and i could have read everything wrong, but this might be one of my fave Italian film discoveries in ages. Also want to add, this film had a similar vibe to The Perfume of the Lady in Black and I feel all smug and shit because Kier-la Janisse spotted it too.
You could add The House With Laughing Windows IMO.

EDIT: Death Laid An Egg too.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Spartan wrote:Footprints on the Moon (1975)
You could add The House With Laughing Windows IMO.

EDIT: Death Laid An Egg too.
The conspiracy angles and the spiralling mental states of both female protagonists in both films. Hence The Perfume of the Lady in Black comparison being more obvious than those you listed. Footprints and Perfume aren't exactly gialli either.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Spartan wrote:Image
:thumbsup:
moved by duck muscles

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Anyone seen Smash & Grab about the Pink Panthers gang? Cool account of a worldwide jewelry theft ring. Low production values, but they stagger rotoscoped interviews with CCTV footage of the actual crimes in a way that manages not to be corny. I dare anyone to watch it and not wish they had the balls/suave nature requried to rob jewelry stores by the millions
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Comedy Quaddafi

Colors (1988) - It has a few strong performances and some solid scenes, but the story goes nowhere and some parts are extremely cheesy.

Homicide (1991) - Cop-thriller by David Mamet about a detective who becomes aware of his cultural identity while working on a case where a Zionist brotherhood is implicated. Top film and it works on many levels. Probably one of the best 90's thrillers of its kind.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

veronica mars -- super #fun, a job well done. if they get to make another one, or few, or a nflx season or whatever, think it'll be even better due to many an event from the movie and not having to be so fan servicey (not that i minded a great majority of it). very funny & good to see that gang again for sure
moved by duck muscles

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I was checking Nick Cage's Rotten Tomatoes profile, and I saw that this was his highest rated movie, so I requested it through my library network. Pretty dope. Hopper and JT Walsh are consistently awesome as villains.

Don't ask me how I went this long without having seen it.

Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

It's a fairly rare movie man, I don't think a lot of people have seen it.

You should check out After Dark My Sweet too, it's in the similar vein of solid overlooked latter day noir

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

drizzle wrote:You should check out After Dark My Sweet too, it's in the similar vein of solid overlooked latter day noir
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually getting ready to read the Thompson novel. I finished Killer Inside Me about a week ago, and I'm just about done with Pop. 1280.

Others that I'll be reading in the coming months:

The Getaway
The Grifters
The Kill Off
Savage Night
A Hell Of A Woman

I've been on a serious reading binge lately. I actually went into the CYE Archives to get recommendations. Shit, I got your top five list of authors written down (Joyce, Greene, Asimov, Vonnegut, Moore). I started off by reading a bunch of stuff that MT2 recommended (Killer Inside Me, The Big Sleep, Clockers, This Boy's Life, Short-Timers, etc).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Would def recommend bumping A Hell Of A Woman to the top of that list, might be my favorite by JT.

There's a great but very very rare french adaptation of it that I've seen once and was never able to track down again.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I thought Red Rock West was recognized as a CYE staple?

Speaking of Thompson, has anyone ever seen the Stacy Keach/Burt Kennedy version of The Killer Inside Me from the 70's?
I've almost bought it several times.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I thought Red Rock West was recognized as a CYE staple?
Maybe, idk how much the center holds on the old CYE cannon anymore. It's been months if not years since somebody slobbed Point Blank or Le Samourai or even Speed Racer.

Never seen the old Killer Inside Me, always wanted to. It has a mixed rep but that book is very hard to adapt.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

drizzle wrote:Would def recommend bumping A Hell Of A Woman to the top of that list, might be my favorite by JT.

There's a great but very very rare french adaptation of it that I've seen once and was never able to track down again.
Will do.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Story of my fuckin' life. Morning noon and night.
moved by duck muscles

aleph

Post by aleph »

Definitely fux wit Red Rock West. John Dahl directed two other movies centering on toxic femme fatales- Kill Me Again and The Last Seduction, both worth checking out but neither of which I like as much.
Would def recommend bumping A Hell Of A Woman to the top of that list, might be my favorite by JT.

Yeah, Serie Noire should be released on dvd. So great, so grungy, so bleak.

Yo, Roy, have you read Hammett's Red Harvest? Put that on your list if you haven't

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Dahl also did Rounders which is a bonafide 90s cable classic

Serie Noire has been frustrating me to no end. Even looking for bootlegs is fucked because that's also a name of some French tv anthology program, which may have actually included the movie I'm looking for, but is also not on dvd

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

aleph wrote:Yo, Roy, have you read Hammett's Red Harvest? Put that on your list if you haven't
I've seen this one recommended by numerous posters in the stickied Books thread. I'll move it to the top of the list.

And I just discovered this thread:

Noir
http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 39&start=0

The CYE archives are a goldmine.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Shooting Bigfoot

Funniest and wackiest documentary I've watched on TV in a long time.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the way way back -- barring a quick scene where someone who looks like the thumbsucker/chumscrubber kid dances by a fire like he's at a dead show and the cw's carrie bradshaws butt this was nothing but a hot thick shit
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

we always referred to that position in a vehicle as 'way in the back' not the 'way way back' but that's neither anywhere
moved by duck muscles

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

captain america 2: really good, maybe the best marvel movie to date, would've been better in 2d tho

Comedy Quaddafi

Caged Heat (1974) - Demme, who did Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia, started out with a sleazy WIP film. It stars Erica Gavin who was in many Russ Meyer films, and a bootleg Pam Grier too. Not bad for what it is. "I'm going to smash your teeth so far down your throat youre going to have a picketfence coming out of your ass".

The Network (1976) - Lumet-film about a tv-network. You quickly notice that nobody in real life talks like the characters in this movie do, but it works as a highbrow soap with a few moral messages. Faye Dunaway steals the show as career-bitch who cums when talking about her ratings (literally).

Rituals (1977) - Schockingly good survival horror. Great use of Canadian wilderness, very decent cast. Up there with stuff like Deliverance and Southern Comfort. The film doesnt really put a foot wrong. A lost classic.

Bliss (1997) - Thought it would be a movie about a guy learning how to please his wife. It sort of is, but it's a much more serious film. I didn't really like it.
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Co-signing everything said about Rituals.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hatchet III (2013)
Immediately follows on from the (wrongfully hated) second film, with cops and a SWAT team serving as canon fodder for Victor Crowley's latest killing spree. Expected the usual gore, gags and washed-up actors; surprised by the Family Guy race "jokes", though. Thought the film was decent despite Danielle Harris having nothing to do; other than a few scenes where she wasn't required to swear her head off like she had Tourette's syndrome. Also, the anticipated Mears vs Hodder fight didn't happen.

This is the beginning of the movie, by the way:

Nice little Halloween reference between the bloody carnage, innit?