CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Re: CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Post by Kalel »

ThaJim2 wrote:
alpha wrote:completely off topic, but do you guys think this move away from PPV will work out for the WWE?
They have not even hit half of their projected subscribers. No one else has made any real money with internet content. So call me skeptical that this will payoff any time soon.
The question is how do you get casual wrestling fans, that may tune in to Raw or Smackdown but skip the PPVs, pay for the network that doesn't even show Raw or Smackdown? Of course we all see the value in it the way a football fan would be going nuts if the NFL made their entire catalog of games and Super Bowls available on demand for $10 a month, but I think wrestling is still too much of a niche sport for casual fans to delve into.

Until they get some more original programming on the network it's going to be a tough sell to casual fans.

Here's a fun game: what kind of programming would you want to see on the network? For me I'd like more roundtable discussions like Legends of Wrestling and more "Day in the Life" type shows. Also, I would LOVE an in depth look at the every day production of a TV taping. From the costume design to the pyro tests to the last minute booking. I know that's pulling back the curtain on the industry too much but that kind of stuff fascinates me.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I would like to see all the worst, most wrestlecrappy stuff get the MST3K treatment. They could even have guys who were involved in the shows/angles doing the commentary. And I don't mean the obvious stuff that's been rehashed to death like the Shockmaster. I mean shit like all of 2000 WCW and corny New Generation WWF. It could be as simple as just having a commentary track option on certain shows/matches.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

commentary track for some things just in general, ppvs, raws, whatever, would be really cool

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Kalel wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
alpha wrote:completely off topic, but do you guys think this move away from PPV will work out for the WWE?
They have not even hit half of their projected subscribers. No one else has made any real money with internet content. So call me skeptical that this will payoff any time soon.
The question is how do you get casual wrestling fans, that may tune in to Raw or Smackdown but skip the PPVs, pay for the network that doesn't even show Raw or Smackdown? Of course we all see the value in it the way a football fan would be going nuts if the NFL made their entire catalog of games and Super Bowls available on demand for $10 a month, but I think wrestling is still too much of a niche sport for casual fans to delve into.

Until they get some more original programming on the network it's going to be a tough sell to casual fans.

Here's a fun game: what kind of programming would you want to see on the network? For me I'd like more roundtable discussions like Legends of Wrestling and more "Day in the Life" type shows. Also, I would LOVE an in depth look at the every day production of a TV taping. From the costume design to the pyro tests to the last minute booking. I know that's pulling back the curtain on the industry too much but that kind of stuff fascinates me.
I know WM gets or at least recently got over a million buy rates so I imagined the WWE was expecting at least these people to goto the network. The thing that is crazy is I think the WWE has the best chance of hitting its projections for this type of network. The fanbase is much higher percentage of hardcore fans then well most anything else and if they are not biting I don't think any one else is going to see huge numbers. Even the NFL Network outside of football games gets horrible ratings.

I have no idea what the WWE can do to get to their targets. If they lower the price which is already very good they will need to add more subscribers to break even. I honestly don't know what they can do at this point. USA is not about to let them simulcast Raw which might be the only thing.

This is why a la carte will never actually work in the real world and why content makers continue to basically ignore the internet.

I don't have it yet but might actually sign up tomorrow to watch NXT but I would like some kind of Biography show of wrestlers. And history of wrestling type documentaries.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Sylissez wrote:I would like to see all the worst, most wrestlecrappy stuff get the MST3K treatment. They could even have guys who were involved in the shows/angles doing the commentary. And I don't mean the obvious stuff that's been rehashed to death like the Shockmaster. I mean shit like all of 2000 WCW and corny New Generation WWF. It could be as simple as just having a commentary track option on certain shows/matches.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Didn't they expect to get a bigger tv deal too? I thought that was what lost Vince that chunk of change.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Ramen wrote:Didn't they expect to get a bigger tv deal too? I thought that was what lost Vince that chunk of change.
This was a big deal also of course. Either one was going to set the stock price tumbling both together is why it dropped 30 plus percent.

Req

Post by Req »

Sylissez wrote:corny New Generation WWF.
did anyone else stop watching WWE after WM IX?

that's how bad the Hogan/Yokozuna match was. I mean if even a 12 year old knows how fucking stupid it had gotten.... Think I maybe picked it up again around 1997.
F.U. MOOLAH

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

clash of champions up on the network.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Bo Dallas debut from tomorrow's Smackdown leaked if any of you NXT fans care to watch it today.

Lol at the Tebow-ing and the post match pep talk to Sin Cara...

zappy

Post by zappy »

as soon as WWE puts out an app for the chromecast (if they ever do) i'm getting the network.

as far as shows i'd like to watch, i'd definitely like to see something that pulls back the curtain a little bit. obviously it would have to be delayed by months or more (because you'd give stuff away otherwise) but i think it would still be interesting.

also i'd like to see what happens before NXT, from scouting wrestlers in the indies and picking them up and what goes into making gimmicks, etc. this would probably be difficult, but if it could happen i'd watch it.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

any chikara fans? i'm going to their show tomorrow, is the first in years apparently, its literally 5 minutes from my house and only 20 bucks so i figured why not

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

tehgiftofgab wrote:any chikara fans? i'm going to their show tomorrow, is the first in years apparently, its literally 5 minutes from my house and only 20 bucks so i figured why not
Lucky you, man. I've been OBSESSED with the "are they or aren't they" storyline so tomorrow is a big deal for me. CHIKARA live crowds are known for being awesome and appreciative of the show they're at. You're in for a great time.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

tehgiftofgab wrote:any chikara fans? i'm going to their show tomorrow, is the first in years apparently, its literally 5 minutes from my house and only 20 bucks so i figured why not

They're about 70% hit 30% miss for me, but I respect the heck out of what they do and am at the very least always impressed with their iPPV shows.

If anyone here is Chikara curious, check out their debut iPPV High Noon[/] from 2011.

This promo, which I consider one of the best of the past decade, was what lead into it:

Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Fucking awesome thanks for the feedback even more excited now

battlecatmeowstab212

Actually, it's probably more like 80%-20%. I'm still having difficulties adjusting to watching men regularly wrestle women, even though I think Chikara's female division is the absolute best in the world.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Battlecat, any current thoughts on AAA or CMLL? I was on the last page trying to express my love for Taya Valkyrie but then it switched...

Req

Post by Req »

F.U. MOOLAH

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

:rofl: What is "TV-BM" supposed to mean?

battlecatmeowstab212

Smithee wrote:Battlecat, any current thoughts on AAA or CMLL? I was on the last page trying to express my love for Taya Valkyrie but then it switched...
I'm a bit behind on Lucha. I don't really follow it when it airs live and usually play catchup with rudoreels.com which is by far the best/cheapest way to acquire Lucha.

I enjoy Lucha, but the style is so far removed from the North-American, British and Puro that I can't really watch it back to back when I'm going from Raw to an ROH compilation to an IVP video. When I go on Lucha kicks though, I adore it.

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

:cheers:, bro. I love it too. The high spots and even the little stuff like a guy doing a 450 straight off the mat w/ his partner lifting the leg. That shit is crazy. Plus it helps me w/ learning Spanish. Gonna check out rudoreels, thanks. Hopefully it has some stuff w/ subtitles. I can understand like 30-40% but subtitles, even in Spanish, would really help.

Also I learned "BM" is Botchamania. I guess I'm late to the party w/ this viral stuff but I'm having a blast. This is awesome.

battlecatmeowstab212

Smithee wrote::cheers:, bro. I love it too. The high spots and even the little stuff like a guy doing a 450 straight off the mat w/ his partner lifting the leg. That shit is crazy. Plus it helps me w/ learning Spanish. Gonna check out rudoreels, thanks. Hopefully it has some stuff w/ subtitles. I can understand like 30-40% but subtitles, even in Spanish, would really help.

Also I learned "BM" is Botchamania. I guess I'm late to the party w/ this viral stuff but I'm having a blast. This is awesome.
If you haven't checked it out, watch Konnan's stuff from '92 or so. Along with the absolute most emotion mask-losing match I've ever seen, Konnan's work in this era was as the first luchador to go north of the border and bring back traditional American wrestling spots to incorporate into lucha libre. Remember how Monday Nitro fans reacted the first time they saw a 450 inverted corkscrew plancha? Imagine that exact same bombastic reaction, except in a Mexican stadium after Konnan does the first bulldog on the country's soil.

battlecatmeowstab212

Also, my single favorite episode of Botchamania is probably #92 where Maffew solely covered TNA's Victory Road '09, widely considered the single worst pay-per-view in the entire company's history.

The way he plays scathing reviews of the show alongside the actual footage is incredible.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

chikara was fucking amazing, the characters are hilarious and their skills are for fuckin real, theyre coming back for the king of trios ppv, definitely going to that as well

Post by 907 »

"You've got big legs" from Trips to Batista, after Cody Rhodes called him out for his skinny jeans, was the funniest thing I've heard on Raw in a long time.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Can anyone confirm that WWE Network isn't available outside the US yet?

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Can't confirm personally, but I did just read that they plan to launch in the UK at SummerSlam.

I'm loving Alicia Fox being the new Brian Pillman.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Alicia Fox is pretty awesome.

Req

Post by Req »

Kalel wrote:Can anyone confirm that WWE Network isn't available outside the US yet?
not legally, no. Canada and the UK are next I think.
F.U. MOOLAH