book list thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ric

book list thread

Post by ric »

list all your books

so serious right now. i need to do this shit so i will. just so i know. you know?

Comedy Quaddafi

Re: book list thread

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Hell no :lol:

I wish we had more book-talk in here though.

Am I the only one who is pretty careless with my books? I have a huge collection (in part because I have a BA in litterature) but don't really treat my collection as a trophy, the way some people do. All of my books are stored in different people's basements and attics (I'm the kind of friend who asks you to hold something and then never pick it up).
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

theres a sticky thread for that.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Unless I feel I'll revisit it I just donate them shits after.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

ric, list your books bro

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

was thinking a few days ago i need to our neighbor bout 3/4 of the books i have just taking up space now, no need to keep them things around anymore
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:ric, list your books bro
will do soon

ive been working my ass off though

Mercuthio

Post by Mercuthio »

i love books. work at a library, but i keep buying books. i ain't never giving any away. thems is mines, all mines!

but i'm not going to list every goddamn one of them.

just think of everything from Bellow and Bukowski through Heinrich von Kleist and Miller and Nabokov to Pynchon and Tolstoy. and a helluvalot of comic books.

hustler

Post by hustler »

i know this is going to shock a lot of you, but I'm not a big reader. When I was younger, I read quite a few books: narnia, harry potter, goosebumps, redwall, fantasy fiction type stories. but in the last ten years I've probably read like 3 fiction books, maybe less. Most books I read these days are torrented ebooks on seduction, nutrition, fitness, poker/gambling, and business/money.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

It's a sad commentary on this forum that there's one catch-all "book thread" but yet every shitty TV show and movie and countless useless industry rumors get their own threads.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Those of you who keep a collection, do you guys buy hardcovers? Imo a stack of trades don't look to appealing.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

I don't care for kindles and the like because I feel like I need to have the physical book in my hand ( and i spend enough time staring at screens as it is); plus I live around the block from a Barnes and Noble anyway. I wasn't really much of a reader for a long time but I've developed a love for it in recent years. I mostly read novels and short story collections though.

As for what I own, listing everything would be tedious as others have said, but looking at my bookcase right now I own multiple books by Bukowski, Vonnegut, Camus, Dostoevsky, Wilde, Palahniuk, Gaiman, PKD, Henry Miller, Huxley, Delillo, Kerouac, Burroughs, Pynchon, DFW, Douglas Adams, and a few other random authors. I also owned some stuff by Celine that I loaned out to a friend and never got back lol.

Could use some suggestions though. Literature is such a huge world and I'm always looking for new authors to check out.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Read Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell if you haven't already. Seems like you'd like it based on the other stuff you have.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Joe Pesci wrote:I don't care for kindles and the like because I feel like I need to have the physical book in my hand ( and i spend enough time staring at screens as it is); plus I live around the block from a Barnes and Noble anyway. I wasn't really much of a reader for a long time but I've developed a love for it in recent years. I mostly read novels and short story collections though.

As for what I own, listing everything would be tedious as others have said, but looking at my bookcase right now I own multiple books by Bukowski, Vonnegut, Camus, Dostoevsky, Wilde, Palahniuk, Gaiman, PKD, Henry Miller, Huxley, Delillo, Kerouac, Burroughs, Pynchon, DFW, Douglas Adams, and a few other random authors. I also owned some stuff by Celine that I loaned out to a friend and never got back lol.

Could use some suggestions though. Literature is such a huge world and I'm always looking for new authors to check out.

Looks like we read a lot of the same stuff. :cheers:

Love my books. Will never give them up. It's hard simply lending them out.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

what I just bought today and yesterday

-Sacred Sex Bible: Cassandra Lorius
-Words Will Break Cement: Masha Gessen
-Why Women Have Sex: Cindy Meston
-Tropic of Cancer: Henry Miller
-Plexus: Henry Miller
-Nexus: Henry Miller
-SatisFaction: Karrine Steffans
-The Actor's Survival Kit: Miriam Newhouse

I just finished Torment Saint: by William Todd Schultz. Probably the best book on Elliott Smith that will ever be written. Tears poured.
and I finished Gentlemen of Leisure: A Year in the Life of a Pimp Named Silky by Susan Hall. Insightful stuff.

Peace to Joe Pesci. I don't really do the kindle thing, either. I like to have hard copies. I think of all my books as bibles.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

a big chunk of my library is old paperbacks and hardcovers ive gleamed from used book stores, and in some cases, online, of michael moorcocks bibliography. I think i have probably at least one copy of 90-95% of his list. Ive been pickin up a lot of business and organizational books lately. Recently got in to re-reading the coldfire trilogy by cs friedman, Ive boughten these books probably 3 times each in various forms cause they keep getting lost. but so good. alot of philosophy books from university classes that i hold on to. obviously game of thrones books are in there. hmm. im thinking of building a wall sized bookshelf for my studio/office when i get a minute, i always wanted a room surrounded by books.

Post by 360 »

You don't read much if you think people can easily post their entire collections. That would take quite some time. My sci-fi/fantasy collection, alone, would take hours. If you're looking for recommendations, simply state your (current) preferred genre.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Nah man. The Bible, it's all you need.