Nightcrawler

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Nightcrawler

Post by drizzle »

yea but if he gets character/goes to jail or whatever you don't get the second van scene. it's unrealistic but it's needed to make their point.

i see where you are coming from though. it would've been more impactful and also made their overall point stronger if they added just one tiny scene explaining how he walks away from that without charges - maybe a plausible-sounding law loophole, maybe the tv stations' lawyers help him.... just enough to bridge the gap in logic and underline how the system helps enable kind of sociopathic climbing
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

The whole movie is pretty ridiculous though, getting caught up on any technicality is silly. I was completely fine with the ending, thought it actually made perfect sense given the rest of the movie. I felt that if there was ever going to be a consequence for his actions (there never really is the entire movie) why start at the end? They would have likely had to set it up earlier when he messed with Paxton's truck for instance. Dropping it out of nowhere would have been much worse, and gone completely against the momentum that had been established throughout the film.

The capitalism angle is interesting, seems like a legit theory to me.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

alpha

Post by alpha »

I had no issues with the ending. I think it was around the middle or when he gets the new ride I kinda just put plausibility out the window and just enjoyed the ride. For some reason it really reminds me of "american psycho"

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

yeah heavy patrick bateman vibes

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

Spartan wrote:I meant walking free after the questioning with Avon Barksdale's sister. Considering how well executed the rest of the movie was, that scene was immersion breaking. There was enough evidence there to charge him; beyond a cop's instinct for seeing through Lou's bullshit.

It's not a problem when less serious movies break logic like this, but why pull a stunt like that in a movie of this caliber?
Not really, though. What evidence did they have? There were no witnesses, no physical evidence, and the logic to his lie was sound -- doesn't matter that he said it like a creep.

It's much more ridiculous that he was entering crime scenes, filming them, and then having it broadcast on the local news with no repercussions. This movie wasn't really trafficking in realism.

I liked it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Defend it all you want, dude would have received more than just a harsh talking to by the cops after that shootout.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Clearly you don't understand how the U.S. law enforcement agencies work.