Disney to release original cut of Star Wars IV-VI on Blu Ray

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Random Sample

Disney to release original cut of Star Wars IV-VI on Blu Ray

Post by Random Sample »

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/ex ... o-be-rele/
For a long time Star Wars fans have been clamoring for Disney/Lucasfilm to re-release the original, unaltered cut of the first Star Wars trilogy, and Comicbook.com has now confirmed with two independent reliable sources that just such a plan is under way.

According to our sources, Disney has plans to release the original cut of the Star Wars trilogy on Blu-ray. Our sources indicate that the project has been under way for quite some time, but it’s been challenging because of some damage to the original negatives they are utilizing. The goal is to release A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of Jedi in their complete, unaltered, original form without the redone special edition SFX.

Our sources did not have an exact date as to when the original cut of the Star Wars Trilogy would be released on Blu-ray, due to the challenges Disney has encountered in pulling everything together. However, our sources indicated the goal is to have it ready and released before Star Wars Episode VII is released in theaters.

Tommy Bunz

Re: Disney to release original cut of Star Wars IV-VI on Blu

Post by Tommy Bunz »

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Not spending another $75 for a 3rd time just so I don't see Hayden Christensen for .03 seconds or that horrible Solo stepping over Jabba or that laughable "nooooooooooooo" Vader screams. Fuck that.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

That's why I never bought the new ones. I am glad that I waited.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Random Sample wrote:That's why I never bought the new ones. I am glad that I waited.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Dan wrote:
Random Sample wrote:That's why I never bought the new ones. I am glad that I waited.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

hustler

Post by hustler »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
Dan wrote:
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Req

Post by Req »

:limpy: HAN SHOT FIRST :limpy:
F.U. MOOLAH

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Fuck these money grabbers that apparently don't give a shit about Artistic authenticity. The dude that made it changed to make a product that expressed his ideas and now they just shit all over it for a few bucks to make some overgrown man childs giddy.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

ThaJim2 wrote:Fuck these money grabbers that apparently don't give a shit about Artistic authenticity. The dude that made it changed to make a product that expressed his ideas and now they just shit all over it for a few bucks to make some overgrown man childs giddy.
Can you honestly say that the movies are better after he added his artistic authenticity to them?

The new versions fucking sucked. He made them worse. It is the equivalent of lil kim and her plastic surgery over the years. You can keep fucking with them, but they end up being a train wreck in the end. Should have just left them alone because they were fine just the way they were.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Random Sample wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Fuck these money grabbers that apparently don't give a shit about Artistic authenticity. The dude that made it changed to make a product that expressed his ideas and now they just shit all over it for a few bucks to make some overgrown man childs giddy.
Can you honestly say that the movies are better after he added his artistic authenticity to them?

The new versions fucking sucked. He made them worse. It is the equivalent of lil kim and her plastic surgery over the years. You can keep fucking with them, but they end up being a train wreck in the end. Should have just left them alone because they were fine just the way they were.
There were some things about the Special Editions that were fine (Millennium Falcon busting out of Mos Eisley), but Lucas went way overboard and definitely made the films worse overall (Han not shooting first, Boba Fett's voice changing).

I really hope they'll release the original editions with all the minor original technical issues cleaned up (lightsaber colors, boxed Tie Fighters etc.) but with no other changes. Fuck you, George Lucas, this is happening.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: potw
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Random Sample wrote:The new versions fucking sucked. He made them worse. It is the equivalent of lil kim and her plastic surgery over the years. You can keep fucking with them, but they end up being a train wreck in the end. Should have just left them alone because they were fine just the way they were.

this pretty much sums it up.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i agree all of the changes were for the worst, but were they all that significant? if you add up all of the minor tweaks in the original 3, it doesn't even come close to a 1 minute of screen time. at least the blu rays were remastered and look/sound better.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Random Sample wrote:

The movies where horrible either way. They are kid movies with the insult that it implies. But, if the artist wanted it too look one way I am fine with that seeing as the same people would be bitching about a studio interfering with the editing of a movie from their favorite director. Disney doing this is the same as what RKO and Universal did to Wells (I mean obviously a pacific ocean gulf in the difference in talent and actual artistic importance)

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Random Sample wrote:

The movies where horrible either way. They are kid movies with the insult that it implies. But, if the artist wanted it too look one way I am fine with that seeing as the same people would be bitching about a studio interfering with the editing of a movie from their favorite director. Disney doing this is the same as what RKO and Universal did to Wells (I mean obviously a pacific ocean gulf in the difference in talent and actual artistic importance)
When a painter finishes a painting, it's done. It's in a gallery, they don't add to it later.

When a musician releases a song, it's finished. They may remix it or remake it later, but their completed song is out into the world.

Authors write books and then their story is immortalized in circulation.

Why should the medium of film be exempt from these rules that apply to every other art? If Lucas wanted to see different things with new technology, why not make another film? Not to mentioned with Empire and Jedi that he didn't even direct those films, so he should have no say.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

The rumour about the OG trilogy being released on blu is from August and according to the AVClub, it's not likely to happen.
avclub.com wrote:Against the wishes of the mysterious old man who originally brought it into the world, the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy might actually be coming to Blu-ray. It’s not necessarily the way the movies were meant to be seen—Lucas claims the remastered versions are how he always intended them—but it’s still the way most people would prefer to see them. We’re talking Han shooting first, no elaborate Sy Snootles dance number, no Hayden Christensen ghost, and no beak on the Sarlacc. Presumably, it will also restore things that were cut from later editions of the movies, like the scene where a Rebel pilot talks to Luke about his father, Boba Fett’s original voice, the title line guy, and all of the times Luke and Leia grossly make out before discovering that they’re related.

This comes from ComicBook.com, which has it on good authority from “two independent reliable sources” that Disney plans to release the new old trilogy at some point before Episode VII is in theaters. But—and this is a but so large it could easily be confused for a moon, but it’s no moon, it’s a space station—there are some huge red flags on this story. For one, the report comes from a site called ComicBook.com, and while it may have some prime URL real estate with a name like that, it’s not exactly the most well-known source.

Also, and this is an even bigger issue, Disney doesn’t own the distribution rights to the Original Trilogy. That means it can’t release them without working out some kind of deal with Fox, which still controls all of the other Star Wars movies. A deal like that certainly isn’t impossible, but it’s very unlikely. Fox doesn’t have very much to gain from re-releasing the old Star Wars movies, especially since it would just help promote Disney’s sequel. So, as always, we’re going to remain cautiously optimistic about this, but it would be wise to take this rumor with a significant portion of salt.

Post by 907 »

Shit would be worth it to get the OG Ewok yub nub song back in the end of Jedi, instead of the faggy song/shot they replaced it with that shows Naboo and the Jar-Jar land and all that other shit.

Hell, I'd pay the box set price just to NOT have HC show up as a hologram at the end of that scene.

How the fuck was Luke even supposed to recognize him?

At least the OG old man was (supposed to be, not sure if same actor) helmetless Vader, who Luke saw.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

It was the same actor.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-war ... to-blu-ray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There's a maze dedicated to my fave movie of all time?