The Imitation Game

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ChaMerZ

The Imitation Game

Post by ChaMerZ »

Hey,

I'm a massive, MASSIVE Alan Turing fan, and was wondering if anybody watched this movie and was willing to give a phila-review. I have never watched anything with Benedict Cumberbatch (I'm planning on starting on Sherlock during the holidays).

http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Re: The Imitation Game

Post by ChaMerZ »

On retrospect, I do not think my post warranted it is own thread. Mods, you may move / delete this post at your discretion.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

I saw it. It's OK. A little bit hokey with some of the dramatic moments. Felt like there was a better story to tell here, but not a bad movie.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

TeenageMoustache wrote:I saw it. It's OK. A little bit hokey with some of the dramatic moments. Felt like there was a better story to tell here, but not a bad movie.
did any of these 'dramatic' moments involve keira knightley, i.e. turing's love interest :rofl:

i'm watching it this evening. so stoked.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

keep seeing trailers for this in the theaters but think it looks wildly melodramatic.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

ChaMerZ wrote:On retrospect, I do not think my post warranted it is own thread. Mods, you may move / delete this post at your discretion.
don't be so down on yourself. i imagine the reason your thread received such little response is b/c no one has seen the movie

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

heard some really bad reviews although C-batch apparently did ok cause he's just too dreamy and british to fail
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

watched it yesterday. a few people here have said that it is a bit melodramatic. well, yeah, i can kind of see that. i didn't have a huge problem swallowing it all down though, because i'm a huge turing fan. the story was solid, and i suppose as accurate as hollywood could have possibly made it. 'c-batch' did a fine job with the acting.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

cumberbatch is the shit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

darkwingduck wrote:cumberbatch is the shit.
agreed.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

when i first heard this was announced i figured they'd downplay the postwar homophobic persecution. they botched it, which is even worse. nobody gets blamed. it's impossible to look at his biography without thinking: this was a genius/hero who was betrayed by the country he saved & contributed to. they took the benefit of his life's work and destroyed his life in return.

in storytelling we usually get to see villains personified. eg we get a villain who defends conventional cryptology and shits on turing's machine. for a satisfying narrative we need some hateful motherfucker coming down on him for the butt stuff. instead we get that lame cop who practically joins the gay straight alliance. v disappointing, marred the movie imo.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i didn't have a huge problem swallowing it all down though, because i'm a huge turing fan.
:pause:
1. Nas
2. Drake

Dap

Post by Dap »

Thought it was entertaining but mostly due to cumberbatch. He was really good. Never seen him in anything else. Movie was rushed. Last 20 minutes or so had terrible pacing

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Fun watch. Ultimately forgettable Oscar bait. I didn't know much about Turing going in, so the lack of his persecution for being gay didn't register much with me at the time. But people I respect who are really familiar with his bio are outraged with the way his sexuality/persecution was depicted. After reading up on him a bit more, I can see why. They totally glossed over it.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Thought this was fine, and Cumberbatch was deserving of a nomination, but Redmayne played the sick scientist better.

I didn't really know much about the history of the Enigma, so I enjoyed learning about it. I wish they'd spent more time on the moral difficulty of allowing some German attacks to take place while others were stopped once they cracked the code. The incident with the scientist whose brother was on one of the ships was so obvious and contrived. Eye rolling stuff. The ending definitely sucked some wind out of the film's sails, and not seeing more of Turin suffer for being gay was a mistake.

I hate Keira Knightley in general, but I couldn't even front on her performance here. Well deserved accolades.

No reason to ever watch this movie again.

6.5 outta 10
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Movie was good, but not great.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Random Sample wrote:Movie was good, but not great.
Same. I highly enjoyed the acting and the story was truly compelling. The creative liberties they took with the script driving the story away from the facts was my only gripe.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^what specifically? i didn't know about kiera's character before and i assumed she was just some ho engaged to dude & they made the rest up. then it turns out she was really a mathematician too.
not seeing more of Turin suffer for being gay was a mistake.

I hate Keira Knightley in general, but I couldn't even front on her performance here. Well deserved accolades.
agreed. great chemistry between them and a solid performance in its own right
1. Nas
2. Drake