"Better Call Saul"

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

hustler

Re: "Better Call Saul"

Post by hustler »

the intro is nice and short. u guys are fuckin trippin. and the show has been great. i thought it would suck for sure (since almost all spinoffs do), but its totally not what i expected and im loving it so far. big odenkirk fan and hes killin it.
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Dap

Post by Dap »

This hate for the intro is comically retarded

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the scene where Chuck does the newspaper jack with the NASA blanket was the greatest
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

yeah, chuck is a great character.

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

legit lol when the old lady is silently watching him run back into his house with that foil blanket.

billboard was hilarious. god, that hair.

Kim is hawt.

alpha

Post by alpha »

he must've spent half that loot just on the billboard and suit.
First scene with the Rolex scam was perfect and hilarious.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

nice to see Jimmy rocking the 3 foot bong.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Just caught up on the last 2 and really digging how it's progressing, feels like it's getting better and hitting its stride with every ep. 4 was by far the funniest yet, from the bong to Chuck's print journalism line and the newspaper run. I don't exactly love the story so far, but Odenkirk is just a joy to watch and the rest of the cast is killing it too. McKean and for some reason the rival lawyer are my favorites I think.

They're really nailing it visually too, feels like they pinpointed the most stylized moments of BB and are now trying to do as much of that as possible. I rolled eyes at the desert shot that was ripped off from BB in ep 2, but in 3 and 4 there are establishing shots that make me wanna cry like every 5 mins. Also the shot of Jimmy bathed in red light as he's trying to warn the family.

I think this is supposed to be more episodic, so I'm not really expecting to have auxiliary characters as well developed as in BB. Only so much you can do in a short arch. The main players are coming along well though, nowhere near as cartoonish and flat as BB's mains were in their first episodes. But I wouldn't want them to spend too much time on Jimmy > Saul transformation, we already know where it goes and we're here to see Saul do his dirt to begin with, so the quicker they get there the better. Origin stories of established characters mostly suck because they take 2/3 of the running time just to show you the subject you came to see from the beginning.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Kace

Post by Kace »

drizzle wrote:Also the shot of Jimmy bathed in red light as he's trying to warn the family.
I also noticed Jimmy is bathed in yellow light several times. Do you think the Breaking Bad color (conspiracy) theory works in this show as well?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

this ep didn't grab me at all. on my phone an awful lot while watching.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

lol @ when Jimmy thought he came up on half a mill.

they do make the southwest look beautiful tho.

alpha

Post by alpha »

kinda with Jason here. Pretty average this last one out. I knew Saul wouldn't put Chuck in the looney bin, but I'm sure hoping it happens soon just so we don't have to see his paranoid BS for a while.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Def more of a transitional/setup ep that the last 2, but the opening with the weirdo clients and the closing with Mike were excellent. Another great moment of cinematography when they show Mike's booth lit wtih 2 floodlights and their reflections in the puddles.

I'm really enjoying McKean as Chuck, am I the only one? Don't really want to see him sidelined.

alpha

Post by alpha »

He's doing a great job. I just find the character super annoying.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Agree w/ Alpha, he's doing a great job w/ the role, but at this point he almost seems like a construct to explain why Saul has a "good side". I imagine he'll eventually end up getting entangled in some foul dealings by Saul, at this point though I'm more intrigued by the character archs of Mike, Hamlin, and even the Kettlemans. A lot can change in one episode though. Anyone know if they're writing Saul as they go like BB or if they have a more concrete storyline planned? I'd imagine it's pretty decided upon because it's a lead in to Breaking Bad, but Gilligan and his writers were so good at being able to create drastic turns in Breaking Bad, but write them so well that it felt believable/natural.
Last edited by unclebengi on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

unclebengi wrote:at this point he almost seems like a construct to explain why Saul has a "good side". I imagine he'll eventually end up getting entangled in some foul dealings by Saul
I'm really into the idea that his psychosis is directly linked to Jimmy's cons, it sets up a nice potential conflict going forward because it implies that at some point Jimmy chooses to become Saul directly at the expense of Chuck's sanity (unless it's somehow a moot point by then). Hopefully they follow through on this

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Interesting thought, that makes a lot of sense. Although I would contend that considering the Rolex scene (not sure how old Jimmy was supposed to be) that he was likely scamming years before Chuck cracked, but we don't know enough of the back story on Chuck and his condition yet, or if Jimmy was scamming but Chuck just didn't know about it or if it took years of Jimmy scamming and Chuck trying to save him that pushed him over the edge.

Either way, it seems inevitable that Chuck will either end up dead or in a loony bin.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Chuck had to come to the rescue for one of Jimmy's scams that landed him in jail, it'll be interesting to see what sets off his psychosis.
UBM CD COMING SOON

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

unclebengi wrote: it took years of Jimmy scamming and Chuck trying to save him that pushed him over the edge.
I think it's something like this. I think they might pin it down via flashback to one breaking point moment, but that moment will be a result of a cumulative effect of a long history of Jimmy letting Chuck down.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I wonder when the show will flash forward to the events in the intro, where we see Saul working in Nebraska. Will it be at the end of this season already?

Because the intro is clearly set after the Breaking Bad finale (Saul even mentions he will end up working at a Cinnabon in Omaha after he decided to leave town).
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

I imagine they wouldn't flash foward until the end of the series, that's if they even do it

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

The supporting characters in the show have had no appeal so far.

Krook

Post by Krook »

ep 5 bored me to tears

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

drizzle wrote: They're really nailing it visually too, feels like they pinpointed the most stylized moments of BB and are now trying to do as much of that as possible. I rolled eyes at the desert shot that was ripped off from BB in ep 2, but in 3 and 4 there are establishing shots that make me wanna cry like every 5 mins. Also the shot of Jimmy bathed in red light as he's trying to warn the family.
This.

The angles and cuts are very enjoyable. Maybe I like it so much because it's similar to BB, but the cinematography is stupendous.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Episode was amazing. Fuck everyone doubting this show

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

God Damn that scene in the bar where Mike grabs those two bastards and whispers "I Know" was that shit, whole episode was pretty great though. Mike's back story was very well written and it makes his future character development very interesting. His motivations for hating cops are totally clear if they already weren't before and his storyline is the most interesting part of the show to me right now. Love how they're able to totally shift course from week to week but never fully break the storyline.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

this episode was amazing and so much better to me than any of the rest. the end scene was :ohsh:

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Show rules

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

jimmy's matlock suit >>>

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Loved the Mike episode. Every week this show can't come soon enough.
The show continues to get better.
Buy my mixtape.