Mad Men: the final episodes

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Mad Men: the final episodes

Post by capable_keL »

Great way to start things off. Loved the blending of old story lines and cleaning up old characters. Old one-eyed Ken is a beast

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Mad Men: the final episodes

Post by drizzle »

great episode

good recap here, there are way more callbacks and references here than I realized. tons of shit from past seasons I totally forgot about

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/ ... -premiere/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

I found it intriguing that Jon Hamm put himself in treatment for alcohol abuse last month; maybe it had something to do with him drinking in every scene for the last 6 years?

Zeed Stun

Post by Zeed Stun »

Do you really think he was drinking actual booze? Those cigs they're smoking are fake as well.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i don't... but the ritual in itself is a strong, latent suggestion

imagine simulating something for 8 hours a day? Wouldn't you be pining to get out and do it for reals

None

Post by None »

Alright shitdicks, how about that series finale?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

It was good, i'm not mad about it at all, but it feels like they could've went harder too I guess. Satisfying enough but didn't blow me away. I liked the coke commercial ending.

Feels like they did Betty a bit too harsh, although the execution of the idea was pretty flawless. Stan + Peggy was kinda sweet but i'm wondering if it undermined her character arc a bit. After all this time focused on her specifically as a careerist writer, it feels a little odd that her final triumph is personal and not professional.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

None

Post by None »

drizzle wrote:It was good, i'm not mad about it at all, but it feels like they could've went harder too I guess. Satisfying enough but didn't blow me away. I liked the coke commercial ending.

Feels like they did Betty a bit too harsh, although the execution of the idea was pretty flawless. Stan + Peggy was kinda sweet but i'm wondering if it undermined her character arc a bit. After all this time focused on her specifically as a careerist writer, it feels a little odd that her final triumph is personal and not professional.
I'm very satisfied with it. Given all the recent lackluster finale endings, I'm alright with how it wrapped up. The way they handled the realization to Steggy (sorry) worked for me. I don't know, there had been threads of her realizing that Don Draper-like focus on career might not be the wisest choice for a while. They did dirt to Betty, but they kept in line with her character til the end. I would have been alright with the finale being just Roger and Megan's mom fighting the entire 56 minutes.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

I thought the season was just okay. The finale was kind of depressing but I appreciated the tie in with one of the greatest ads in history. We are forced to compare it to other finales and I have it graded highly in comparison.

It's not like you can have the entire cast killed or anything, writing them to travel down their different paths makes sense. The Peggy/Stan thing was corny. No need to do that but you needed to have someone end up happy, you know Roger & Marie will be divorced in 2 weeks

2 & 1/2 microphones

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ok i haven't seen the last 3 seasons and i prolly wont. tell me who died in the final season and what happened with dizzle don?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

capable_keL wrote:
It's not like you can have the entire cast killed or anything
Whiet people still get theirs in the end, breh.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Finally got around to finishing this, pretty much loved the last couple episodes. So many well written/executed moments. I'm actually glad they resisted the temptation to go big with the ending, that's never really been what this show is about.
That Don call with Peggy was so great, and then to have it immediately washed away by Stan was just too perfect. Really glad to see those two together, I always wondered if I was just reading into things too much or if there was something special there.
Figures that someone had to get lung cancer with all the smoking on the show, really shitty it had to be Betty but it was so well done its hard to get upset over.
Fuck Pete getting a happy ending though, that little shit doesn't deserve Trudy.
Will miss this show like crazy, don't have another serious drama in rotation that's remotely on this level.

Post by 907 »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Finally got around to finishing this, pretty much loved the last couple episodes. So many well written/executed moments. I'm actually glad they resisted the temptation to go big with the ending, that's never really been what this show is about.
That Don call with Peggy was so great, and then to have it immediately washed away by Stan was just too perfect. Really glad to see those two together, I always wondered if I was just reading into things too much or if there was something special there.
Figures that someone had to get lung cancer with all the smoking on the show, really shitty it had to be Betty but it was so well done its hard to get upset over.
Fuck Pete getting a happy ending though, that little shit doesn't deserve Trudy.
Will miss this show like crazy, don't have another serious drama in rotation that's remotely on this level.

If there is one I'm not aware of it, and I've looked pretty hard.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Finally caught up. I thought it was a decent ending, but didn't blow me away. I don't envy writers when they have to come up with an ending to a show like this. Do you wrap everything up or leave it open ended? They opted for the former.

Honestly, I felt they could have gone either way with the story: Pete doesn't get the girl, Joan lives happily ever after, Don goes back to the agency. I probably would have felt the same way about either scenario so I'm not sure what that means. Nobody else was glad that Betty got the big C? If this happened in season two we all would have been doing cartwheels. The Peggy/Stan get together was corny, but humorous so I'll give them a pass for that. Don at a hippie enclave at the end felt pretty unfulfilling. I did like the Coke commercial at the end. I will say that the writing has definitely taken a downward turn since the beginning of the show, but it was at such a high level for so long that any drop is fairly noticeable.

This was a great show that probably ended a season too late, but it was a really great show for a long time.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]