The Hobbit Trilogy (dir: Peter Jackson)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: The Hobbit Trilogy (dir: Peter Jackson)

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Thats funny, cause i remember how much you bitched about that with the first one.
Smaug in IMAX 3D was fucking amazing.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the onion review had me in tears

http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion ... fiv,37677/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

drizzle wrote:the onion review had me in tears

http://www.theonion.com/video/the-onion ... fiv,37677/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LMAO

mud

Post by mud »

Ya might like this one too then...

"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

EPIC!!! Done very well. Best of the trilogy, not saying much cause the others were bad. But the way this one ended was excellent. It was non stop the whole way thru. What I was really surprised is that while the other two made it hard to really attach yourself to some of the characters, this movie actually gave you a reason to care. While The Hobbit trilogy is not as good overall as LOTR, BOT5A was a better final movie than ROTK.

I think a big thing for me was that this movie did not focus or require the 3D to be good. The 3D was good, but not overwhelming. Not a bunch of that "slow-motion-3D-shot-just-to-have-a-look-how-good-our-3D-is-so-here's-a-slow-motion-shot". It was very enjoyable and I'm not just saying that as a Tolkien stan.

zombie

Post by zombie »

9/10

i didnt like how the elf lord at the end told legolas to go searching for a ranger named strider in the north. because at that point in time, aragorn was like 8 years old so he would be in the north being a ranger protecting the shire and shit, he would be in rivendell hiding in the bushes and rubbing his cock to Arwen

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Yea that was a head scratcher. Great flick though. Loved the way it ended.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

nahhh aragorn has that thing where hes a near immortal human, so he lives a super long life because hes from gondor.

zombie

Post by zombie »

^ wrong.

he wasnt a normal human like others, BUT he also wasnt "near immortal", he lived until he was like 180 or something.

In the hobbit, he was like 8 years old.

in the LOTRs he was in his 80s already

some pennys fer yer thoughts.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

does the HFR look good in this or PBS-levels again?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'm not even sure if they are showing it again in HFR. But the regular 3D in IMAX is amazing.
Saw this Tuesday, loved the shit out of it. It feels a lot different than the first two since the whole thing takes place in one location but its pretty much non-stop action the entire time and Jackson really has the epic battle thing perfected at this point.
My only complaint which is barely even one is that the battle with Smaug isn't longer, as its one of the most badass things in the trilogy and the movie basically blows its load in the first 20 minutes.
Actually complaint #2 would be that bitch-tits never gets the comeuppance that he deserved, really wanted that fucker to get maimed something awful.
But yeah, really really awesome, can't wait for the extended edition.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

The dwarf/elf love story is hilarious, I'd probably kill myself if I was Legolas

Sauramon cameo was the best part of the movie

LOL at my nigga the WereBEAR only getting a couple seconds of screen time.

Where were the five armies? Was the human army comprised wholly of these shitty fishermen? When did Orcs become so goddamn weak? Arm every villager with a rock and the orcs would be goners.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Pretty sure bitch-tits catches it in the extended version. That has to happen.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Five armies:
1. dwarves
2. men
3. elves
4. orcs
5. second "orcs"

zombie

Post by zombie »

Cash Rulz wrote:Pretty sure bitch-tits catches it in the extended version. That has to happen.
what are you talking about

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

the slimy dude that dresses like a bitch

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Wasn't the fifth army "Animals"?

Anyway this was probably the best of the trilogy but still not touching any of the LoTRs

3 movies was definitely unnecessary

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Loved it. Gonna go out on a limb to say that this one was the first of the Hobbits that is just as good as any individual LOTR installments, and I'd agree with Cash about this one being in some ways a more satisfying conclusion.

It felt remarkably complete in its own right, as opposed to how the first 2 struggled to both stretch the source material and make a bridge to the previous trilogy. At best points it hit a nearly operatic operatic grandeur, especially Thorin's struggle with the gold sickness which played like some shit straight out of Wagner. And remarkably some of it actually resonates dramatically, to an extent that even the first trilogy never managed. Lee Pace's elf king really surprised me, he was mostly ornamental in the previous movie but here became one of the most interesting characters. Even the dumbass elf-dwarf doomed romance somehow works, still totally superfluous but I wasn't rolling my eyes at how it resolved either.

There were some absolutely stunning visuals too, don't remember them all but literally every shot of the Nazgul scene looked like a living Frazzetta painting. BUT at the same time this was the one area where I was kinda disappointed. Tolkien's Middle Earth is supposed to be the cornerstone of modern fantasy lore, it pretty much set the modern conventions for it. But here I noticed elements that feel borrowed from other franchises - eg. the giant worms reminded of Dune, the big dumb non-militant orcs looked very much like some of the titans from Attack On Titan, etc... Even if they was present in the source material (I don't recall tbh), they were clearly adapted as inspired by other material. Not a huge problem but still a tiny bit depressing because it implies the upcoming end of Tolkien's relevance to the modern canon.

BTW, anybody else think the dragon scene should've been the end of the last movie instead of the opening of this one? It's a weird split that leaves the 2nd movie feeling incomplete while adding a scene that almost plays a like a standalone short film to this one.

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
well put
yeah I think this one is easily the best
not perfect but best hobbit by far
thought the opening made a lot of sense. they obv have been going for linear shit here and to start any other way wouldn't have made sense nor provide the proper jump off point from which the rest of the shit flows

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Right on Drizz, thought they should have wrapped Smaug up in the last movie, would have given them more time to explore Saraumon turning evil and some of the five army moments could have been better developed.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

There's definitely things I could pick and choose from. Would've been nice if Smaug bit it at the end of the second movie definitely. Hated that he had such short screen time in this one and the second movie would've benefited greatly from him having more. The worms I definitely don't remember at all from the book and I think they had to add those to give an explanation as to how the orcs would get pass their defenses. They were highly unnecessary tho'. Also my biggest peeve was how easily the trolls were defeated in this movie. In LOTR they were a problem and now they go down pretty easily. The Aragorn thing also was off because of the timing and unnecessary to mention. Plus LOTR made it seem like they knew each other from Rivendell where at least Legolas headed there would make some sense.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

If they really hope to milk this franchise, then doing a movie about the Feanor and the Simarils will be the way to go.

alpha

Post by alpha »

oscar screener is out. Best of the 3 obv, still not touching any of the orig 3.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Fucking finally.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

the review on amazon says that buying all three individually is $20 less than buying the Trilogy. What extra is in this? I just got all the movies. Double dipping is a bitch.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

If you buy them now maybe but it will go on sale for much cheaper eventually.
I only spent 35-40 for the LOTR extended trilogy on bluray.