Fuck That Show/Movie

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Re: Fuck That Show/Movie

Post by Dan »

Loving/hating the responses in this thread. I knew my choices would be questionable, but man, how does one hate Breaking Bad, Curb, or even Christopher Guest's catalog?

Here's an entire genre that I can say 'fuck that' to:

Comic Book Movies - I watched the original TV series of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk when I was a kid. Watched Superman III numerous times thanks to HBO constantly playing it in the mid-80s. Michael Keaton as Batman in 1989 piqued my interest, but never bothered with any other Batman movie until Christopher Nolan came along. I have never watched a Marvel movie, not because I'm a DC guy. I never even knew there was a difference. Look, here I am as a kid with Spider-Man, wearing a DC shirt. I was probably wondering why Spider-Man wasn't cool enough to be on it.

Batman seemed like a darker story to tell, not intended for kids. I was cool with that. The rest of those superheroes, nope, not going to watch them. Here's a true story that'll sure to get me a :naswtf:
When it was announced that Ironman would be getting a film adaptation. I thought it was going to be about Ghostface. Which then proves that all those Tony Starks references on his albums went completely over my head. I thought Ironman was just a Black Sabbath song and that the Ironman/Tony Starks persona was made up my Ghostface.
It's not that I hate Marvel, I'm just done with movies about men in capes and masks. Fuck that genre!

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

South Park is another one. That shit is mad annoying to me. But it is a perfect representation of white america I feel.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Word to South Park being on the list. I'm not saying they haven't done anything good post that movie, but I have never gotten how/why that show is still around and kicking. The first few seasons were ducking brilliant, but how long can the shit go on before getting weak? And why is no one willing to admit it has depreciated in quality?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Because it hasn't. South Park has stayed relevant because of their insane production schedule where they write, animate and release episodes within the same week, which allows them to be incredibly timely regarding making fun of world issues. They're essentially the Daily Show/Last Week Tonight of cartoons now.
They've released some of their all-time best episodes in the last few years (as well as one of the best cartoon video games of all time). I hope they never stop making it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Virtually all the shit that gets jocked hard here.

Don't even get me started on Judd Apatow.

alpha

Post by alpha »

and the counterpoint is all the insanely shitty horror movies and foreign crap that gets jocked here. duuuuuuuude, that fettucini linguine film was sooo dark and shot so well.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

SMH at fronting on south park but I suppose that's the point of the thread.
I'm with tommy. The second half of SP's run as a show has been better than the first one.
Also Cosign Dan's distaste for superhero movies. There are some exceptions but I really don't care about movies that rely heavily on CGI shit.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I don't really like the term "fuck that" in this context, some shit ain't just for me

That said, some shit I'm not into-

Zombie shows/movies

South Park

Anything Seth McFarlane related except Cosmos

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Amy Shumer's comedy

Daily Show

Both Captain America movies

Most all horror movies

Michael Bay movies

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Re: South Park ...yes I'm quite sure it is easy to cherry pick fantastic eps over the last 10 yrs. But y'all are saying that there are consistent seasons? Like what the ratio of great to just okay out off 22 episodes?

How about their rewatch value after whatever hot topic they were focusing on has blown over?

Which brings me to my next overall complaint. All American shows that still adhere to the 22 ep season. That shit is so fucking played out in 2015. It should be 12-13 max.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

The Afronaut wrote:Re: South Park ...yes I'm quite sure it is easy to cherry pick fantastic eps over the last 10 yrs. But y'all are saying that there are consistent seasons? Like what the ratio of great to just okay out off 22 episodes?

How about their rewatch value after whatever hot topic they were focusing on has blown over?

Yes. Consistent seasons with tons of rewatchability. They don't really do 22 show seasons. They seemingly just make shows whenever they feel like it. Probably like 8-10 episodes a year it feels like.
I'd say they're batting about .600 , in terms of truly amazing episodes a season. That's pretty impressive after , what, like 20 seasons?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Season 19 is the next one. They've been doing about 10-15 per season since about season 8 or 9 I think (which iirc was actually around the show's lowest point in terms of quality.) They split them so only half season runs at a time too.

I actually like the episodes that mostly focus on characters doing random stuff more than the very 'hot off the presses' topical ones. The latter can feel forced and the rewatch factor suffers because of it.

But still, about 75% of any later season is good to great quality, which is really impressive after so many years.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Not to make this thread about South Park...

But the thing I'll say is I don't understand halfway liking South Park. I get that they tackle issues in a cool way that's hilarious if you're in the inside jokes and mindset of that world. But the voices (especially the voices) and animation and crudeness was always just so off putting that I could never put up with it. While I legitimately hate Family Guy, I've laughed at South Park before, but making it though an episode is tough for me. It's weird, I love shit like Tim & Eric and Eric Andre that I have a hard time defending, but have never been able to get into South Park.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Okay, I'll bite. Interest piqued. Which SP season should I watch to get a better understanding of the shows sustained quality?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Last season wasn't one of their best but the one before (Season 17) is pretty amazing all around outside of maybe the goth kids episode.
Highly recommend the Black Friday/Game of Thrones trilogy (episodes 7-9, which are titled Black Friday, A Song of Ass & Fire, and Titties and Dragons).

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i love fantasy stuff but can't get into the lord of the rings/hobbit movies either.

fuck every wes anderson movie except rushmore and mayyybe bottle rocket

fuck all nicolas winding refn movies

fuck boondock saints

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

also can't get into south park at all

ric

Post by ric »

whoa whoa whoa. family guy is dope. that is some haterism shit. not every episode is that funny but most of them are highly entertaining if not downright hilarious with the variety comedy thing

Post by 907 »

Some crazy opinions up in here, the worst of which is that Breaking Bad is an "entry level" drama, whatever that means, but Storage Wars is a top 5 drama of the last few years. The fuck?

Also, any and all Curb/Seinfeld hate is insane.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

907 wrote:Some crazy opinions up in here, the worst of which is that Breaking Bad is an "entry level" drama, whatever that means, but Storage Wars is a top 5 drama of the last few years. The fuck?
Of course you'd relate to a show about white trash meth addict whiggas from the middle of nowhere.

The many nuances of the various power struggles in Storage Wars would probably be lost on you.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Any of them shows that do the Jon Stewart exasperated look into the camera instead of an actual joke, its the equivalent of rappers pointing the mic at the crowd to be their hype man for them cos theyve shit breath control. Any show that goes for cutsey & lovable instead of attempting to be funny. basically 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Community, New Girl, Modern Family, theres a ton

Chappelles Show doesnt hold up, ppl only remember Rick James and shit and forget all the over-explained woeful skits and fart jokes, not even good fart jokes. any subtlety from his standups lost in translation, idk if its Brennans fault

Orange Is The New Black is for shite, makes me v embarrassed to have rose for Weeds at one point and Im scared to check if its the same. theres whole scenes designed to be made to tumblr gif sets and they do be made

South Park ended up pandering claughter parody and its pure shite after like season 10, like if they spent longer than a week per episode they might scrape some actual jokes out of their one subject and not do lazy fuckery like have the kids literally stare at the camera at the end explaining the moral. know these cunts have Bill Hicks quote books on deck

Curb is good but a heap of its just rly bad improv. the premises are funny but it varies wildly depending whos acting. like Always Sunny admit to just biting Seinfeld and their patter can be annoying af but they do(did, it fell off) a better job w lesser plots than Curb cos theyre better actors

And Seinfelds prob the goat objectively on paper or w e but fuck that I rly cant stand the way these cunts talk half the time, just their mannerisms and that. think Ive seen most episodes and Id prob watch them again just off the funny ideas but its hard to get past the wankerspeak sometimes

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

30 Rock actual had a fair few funny parts early on and put Tracy Morgan on properly tbf so its hard to be mad but they popularised both crutches imo. Even Friends and Cheers didnt stall the gags for more than a minute

Making The Bands a perfect skit actually. lads its hard saying fuck a show ngl

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Larry2times wrote:Chappelles Show doesnt hold up, ppl only remember Rick James and shit and forget all the over-explained woeful skits and fart jokes, not even good fart jokes. any subtlety from his standups lost in translation, idk if its Brennans fault
Blasphemous...the half hour comedy GOAT, first season is perfect and gets better with every watch.

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

unclebengi wrote:
Larry2times wrote:Chappelles Show doesnt hold up, ppl only remember Rick James and shit and forget all the over-explained woeful skits and fart jokes, not even good fart jokes. any subtlety from his standups lost in translation, idk if its Brennans fault
Blasphemous...the half hour comedy GOAT, first season is perfect and gets better with every watch.
Yeah this is some old bullshit for real. Just the other day someone here at the office brought up the first episode with the black white supremacist. And we were talking about the racial draft after that with the asians picking the :wutang: :lol:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

a lot of this shits better to talk about than revisit. like theyre good ideas but its mad how many of the jokes get stepped on by over explaining or something. maybe its SNLs influence? any time Ive seen that its the same shit and Brennans a big fan. but at least theyd the excuse of churning it out in a week

I loved it at the time though

actually SNL is gick too, maybe you have to be up saturday night watching it live or been round in the 70s when american telly was bad idk but even any best ofs Ive seen is shite. They obv know how to pick talent, but prob just a lot of talented ppl want it on their cv

Blue Brothers is 5/5 film tbf, havent seen Waynes World in ages but anyways theyre films

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

fuck arrested development

fuck entourage

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Larry just reminded me...fuck The Blue brothers. I don't get the humor of that in the slightest bit. It's two fat white assholes singing motown songs.

Also, thread is revealing a lot of beautiful truths.
Last edited by Blockhead on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpha

Post by alpha »

yeah it's really helping the dirt dirt award race for next year. :lol:

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Fuck anyone who explains the joy they get from the film Salo as anything other than "I wanna see a bunch of naked teens eating shit and being tortured."

Fuck your pretentious "Oh, it's a satire..." or "Oh, it's an allegory..." No. Just admit you want to see a bunch of teens get tortured and eating shit and stop pretending Pasolini (who is otherwise a talented filmmaker) made the movie for any reason other than he could get his rocks off letting his sex kink explode across the silver screen.

And fuck Me and You and Everyone We Know as well.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

djjeffresh wrote:fuck arrested development
Season 1 & 2 was the best sitcom of the Aughts!

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

fuck any star trek tv series after the next generation