The Revenant (Inarritu, DiCaprio, Hardy)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: The Revenant (Inarritu, DiCaprio, Hardy)

Post by Employee »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... enant.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'You feel the intimacy of both man and beast': Leonardo DiCaprio describes filming THAT 'bear rape' scene in graphic new movie The Revenant

It is among the most talked about cinematic moments of the year, prompting viewers to ponder the possibilities of inter-species sexuality.

And after months of speculation, Leonardo DiCaprio has finally addressed rumours surrounding a controversial scene in his latest film The Revenant in which his character is seemingly 'raped' by a bear.

Appearing on ABC's 7.30 show on Monday evening, the star described the scene as 'groundbreaking', adding that it made viewers feel they are 'watching something you shouldn't be'.

Speaking via video-link, he told host Leigh Sales: 'You can feel the intimacy of both man and beast, you feel the sweat and the heat coming off the animal.

'It almost awakens another sense in you as an audience member and you feel like some voyeuristic animal watching something that you shouldn't be watching.'

Adding that the scene took 'months' of rehearsal, he praised director Alejandro Iñárritu for his 'groundbreaking' techniques.

'What he achieves, is something I think is, cinematically, very groundbreaking for audiences and that is for them to be a part of this raw, violent, savage bear attack but feel the intimacy of both man and beast.'

The scene in question is among the earliest in the film and sets DiCaprio's character Hugh Glass on a quest for revenge after being left for dead following the attack.

After being screened for the first time earlier this year, some viewers claimed it depicted a rape, with DiCaprio's character the victim of sexual assault by the bear.

Commenting on the speculation, DiCaprio said: 'People have responded to it because it's unlike anything they've seen in cinema ever.'

Fox, the studio behind the project, swiftly dismissed such claims, saying in a statement: 'As anyone who has seen the movie can attest, the bear in the film is a female who attacks Hugh Glass because she feels he might be threatening her cubs.

'There is clearly no rape scene with a bear.'

The film, in which DiCaprio stars alongside Tom Hardy, pushed the actors to their physical limits with nine months of filming taking place in often sub-zero temperatures.

Describing the challenges involved, DiCaprio said on Monday: 'There's no crew member or actor in this movie that wouldn't feel like this was a gigantic endurance test.

'We all knew what we were signing up for, we were submerging ourselves in the elements and on locations that were logistically very difficult to get to, the weather was a constant challenge and we were working in sub-zero temperatures.'

All of the film's action was shot in natural light, with production rushed to squeeze in as many scenes as possible when dusk began to fall every day, he added.

'That was part of the excitement. We'd rehearse all day long then there'd be this intense hour-and-a-half at the end of the day that we'd want to put up on screen.'

The actor, who has never won an Oscar, has been tipped for awards success for his performance in the role.

Among other graphic scenes is one in which the actor chews on a raw bison liver for survival.

DiCaprio insisted on using a a genuine liver for the scene, revealing to Variety that he passed over the option of eating a jelly version for the camera.

Describing the liver, he said: 'The bad part is the membrane around it. It's like a balloon. When you bite into it, it bursts in your mouth.'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

This leaked
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

alpha

Post by alpha »

As did creed and hateful 8.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

There's been a shitty camcorder rip of Creed floating around for a while.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Employee wrote:There's been a shitty camcorder rip of Creed floating around for a while.
CSB. There is a shitty camcorder rip for every new release .

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

some viewers claimed it depicted a rape, with DiCaprio's character the victim of sexual assault by the bear.
:rofl:

now i'm gonna laugh at this scene in the theatre
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Such a sloooooooooooooooooooow burn. Beautifully shot and acted, but I found myself on my phone an awful lot. It's like Cast Away with a revenge plot.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^I'mma assume you watched a screener cause I just saw it in the theater and it wasn't a slow burn at all. It was long but totally engaging. Like you said, it looked incredible. The violence was so fucking good too. That bear attack and the final scene were particularly awesome. This movie was great.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:^I'mma assume you watched a screener cause I just saw it in the theater and it wasn't a slow burn at all. It was long but totally engaging. Like you said, it looked incredible. The violence was so fucking good too. That bear attack and the final scene were particularly awesome. This movie was great.
You would be correct and I don't discount the fact maybe that is why I found myself on my phone a few times. I enjoyed the film but without saying much, the build up for the redemption seemed to play out a little long.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

liked it a lot but they def could've cut about 30 mins of wind blowing through trees, shots of people walking alone on mountains and and idyllic flashbacks without loosing much.

also surprisingly agree with the reviews that said this feels a little slight for just being a revenge story. it doesn't necessarily need more plot, but a little more depth to the characters or more thematic engagement with the setting wouldn't hurt. it doesn't even try for any kind of elemental allegory about man vs man or man vs nature or whatever, which is usually a foregone conclusion for sparse movies like this.

Hardy drinks Leo's milkshake in this btw, his part could've easly been a 2 dimensional villain but he puts more nuance into it.. Leo mostly grunts stoically and bulges his eyes and it's a dope physical performance but he feels more like an archetype than a well defined character

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

So essentially you agree with me.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yeah, the leo oscar talk is retarded. He says like 10 things and grunts and screams the rest of the movie. Hardy killed it. Leo shoulda got the nod for Wolf of wallstreet, imo.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I can see Will Smith grabbing it for Concussion. Maybe even Alec for best supporting. Movie was just ok but Smith was phenomenal in it.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Terrance Malick, Innaritu is not.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

OMG @ Hardy > Dicaprio for the Oscar talk; did you motherfuckers watch the movie?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Such a sloooooooooooooooooooow burn. Beautifully shot and acted, but I found myself on my phone an awful lot. It's like Cast Away with a revenge plot.
Worst analysis of a film in 2016 yet.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:I can see Will Smith grabbing it for Concussion. Maybe even Alec for best supporting. Movie was just ok but Smith was phenomenal in it.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You cannot be serious.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:Terrance Malick, Innaritu is not.
Duh:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:it doesn't even try for any kind of elemental allegory about man vs man or man vs nature or whatever, which is usually a foregone conclusion for sparse movies like this.
The entire film's backdrop is precisely what you just described.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Relying on the setting and archetypes to inherently make your points is lazy as shit, so in that way yes, the entire film's backdrop does precisely what I just described - not try hard enough to build something more from its basic ingredients.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:Relying on the setting and archetypes to inherently make your points is lazy as shit, so in that way yes, the entire film's backdrop does precisely what I just described - not try hard enough to build something more from its basic ingredients.
I'm really sorry the elements you claimed the film lacks are actually present throughout the film as major, significant characters in their own right yet failed to resonate with you.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Lol I'm not saying the setting didn't resonate with me, but gorgeous nature photography does not automatically equate to compelling drama. Considering the setting as a character onto itself is a good take though, I like that.

Mind you I didn't hate this movie by any means, I'm must disappointed that the whole thing is a foregone conclusion - you knew going in it's going to look great and Leo is going to admirably grunt his way through the snow and there's gonna be some revenging against some asshole who wronged him, and by and large nothing more is added to that by the time the credits roll. Which is fine for a low stakes genre movie, but for something with this much talent and potential it feels like they could've done more.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

couldn't get into it. hardy & the white kid are the only remotely interesting characters. i didn't care about leo or his kid. people who like this probably hopped on his dick as soon as he started speaking pawnee and acting all hippie. and the bad guy is racist, what a surprise. ite movie. it's "last of the mohicans" shot like "the new world".
1. Nas
2. Drake

Post by 360 »

drizzle wrote:Lol I'm not saying the setting didn't resonate with me, but gorgeous nature photography does not automatically equate to compelling drama. Considering the setting as a character onto itself is a good take though, I like that.

Mind you I didn't hate this movie by any means, I'm must disappointed that the whole thing is a foregone conclusion - you knew going in it's going to look great and Leo is going to admirably grunt his way through the snow and there's gonna be some revenging against some asshole who wronged him, and by and large nothing more is added to that by the time the credits roll. Which is fine for a low stakes genre movie, but for something with this much talent and potential it feels like they could've done more.

I think the man vs nature theme is quite prevalent. How could you not?

To me, what made the film a bit lacking was the half-assed side plot of the Pawnee chief looking for his daughter. Not enough depth there. It was unsatisfying when she sees him at the very end and simply looks at him as she and her tribesmen ride past him. Offer the man some help, he did free you from a scenario of extreme degradation.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

360 wrote:
drizzle wrote:Lol I'm not saying the setting didn't resonate with me, but gorgeous nature photography does not automatically equate to compelling drama. Considering the setting as a character onto itself is a good take though, I like that.

I think the man vs nature theme is quite prevalent. How could you not?

To me, what made the film a bit lacking was the half-assed side plot of the Pawnee chief looking for his daughter. Not enough depth there. It was unsatisfying when she sees him at the very end and simply looks at him as she and her tribesmen ride past him. Offer the man some help, he did free you from a scenario of extreme degradation.
Was he not part of the same scourge that got her abducted in the first place? He's part of the people that are ruining their way of life as the chief said earlier when he was talking to the French.

I really liked this movie. I'll offer the same general plaudits that everyone else does: Incredibly shot film that really does a marvelous job of showing the wilderness and the difficulties that people of that time period had when in it.

The action sequences were truly stunning, particularly the battle at the beginning and the bear attack. The story was a bit stock, and there were some logic issues, but other than that I really don't have any complaints other than they could have cut about 20 minutes off it and been fine. Still, the movie was such a joy to look at the run time didn't really bother me as it did for some others.

It looks like DiCaprio is going to win best actor for this one despite writhing around in pain for much of the film, but the physicality that was necessary for the role makes me okay with it. Hardy continues to turn in magnificent performance after performance, and Will Poulter jumped off the screen despite having a character that was essentially a one trick pony.

Shame on you if you didn't see this in the theater.

8 outta 10
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i was shroomin so correct me if i'm confused: if the french dudes had the girl, howcome the cheif didn't get her from them the first time, when he nabbed their horses?
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

360 wrote: I think the man vs nature theme is quite prevalent. How could you not? .
See what I said above. This movie does nothing beyond what's inherently achieved by it's snow-bound setting. If that's an exploration of man vs nature then so was my walk to the train this morning. It's as half assed in this regard as it is in on the Indian subplot and pretty much every other element of plot.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I've seen you make that point twice obviously. But what more would you like them to have explored it further?
I thought it captures the difficulty of the period really well. Eating a liver and sleeping in a carcass for warmth were not there for nothing.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

alpha wrote:I've seen you make that point twice obviously. But what more would you like them to have explored it further?
I thought it captures the difficulty of the period really well. Eating a liver and sleeping in a carcass for warmth were not there for nothing.
yes it captures the difficulty of walking through the snow without supplies very well. but this in itself is a foregone conclusion.

what it doesn't do is draw any meaningful connection between that ordeal and anything else, nor does it seem to have anything to say about it. the movie just shows events happening without bothering to connect or shape them into anything thematically coherent beyond the most basic archetypes. it's just a collection of dramatic bullet points: - having family was good, having them taken away from you is bad! - snow is cold, survival is hard! -betrayal! - indians! - revenge!

which would all be just fine for a movie with smaller aims, but for the EPIC CINEMATIC ACHIEVEMENT this is supposed to be, it's pretty thin.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I loved every fucking second of this movie.
Thought Hardy and DiCaprio deserved every bit of praise they received and then some.
Have no idea how they got some of the shots that they did. Beautiful film. Lubezki gunning for GOAT cinematographer status hard.