Netflix originals thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

gusty wingers

Re: Netflix originals thread

Post by gusty wingers »

tehgiftofgab wrote:I watched the playtest episode.. what a find Fuck lol I mean they all are really
great episode, crazy how he completely loses any ability to distinct reality and virtual reality...

CQ you're bugging...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Am I supposed to think that he really is brain dead or whatever or that he’s still in the VR and it’s gonna go on forever getting worse and worse or is that exactly what they want me to think lol

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Arkangel was fucked up and crazy... Struggling to not watch another one tonight but I don't want to rush this... will probably end up rewatching USS Callister...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Mindhunter is fucking awesome.

Godless was alright, even though I felt let down because I thought it was going to be a town about proper female savages who robbed dudes of their gold to disrupt patriarchal society or some stupid shit like that. That would have been tight.

I'm watching Dark right now. Lady Lifeless compared it to Stranger Things, but I've never watched it so I don't know how accurate that is. I'm entertained.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Callister was dope. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes of Black Mirror.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Spartan wrote:Callister was dope. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes of Black Mirror.
only one i've seen so far so i better chill on this thread. but yeah great ep. loved how they worked in this star trek fantasy, like the cowboy theme in westworld. little details like the woman's dainty walk when they're down on the planet made it for me. chewing gum gal killed her role, good characterization and acting all around. mcpoyle is low key becoming my fav bit part actor.

so the thing about black mirror compared to twilight zone (besides taking itself super serial) is that they blatantly rip off & remix ideas from other scifi and even from their old eps. this had heavy strains of westworld & the horror ep from last season as well as the old xmas ep with john hamm; also had the 'reverse protagonist' angle from "shut up and dance" (except it flipped way earlier). but there's actually a star trek next gen episode that's very similar to this, centered around an underachieving officer who grows increasingly attached to the holodeck, where he has imitations of all the regular cast members as opponents, sycophants, or sex objects.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Mindhunter is fucking awesome.

Godless was alright, even though I felt let down because I thought it was going to be a town about proper female savages who robbed dudes of their gold to disrupt patriarchal society or some stupid shit like that. That would have been tight.

I'm watching Dark right now. Lady Lifeless compared it to Stranger Things, but I've never watched it so I don't know how accurate that is. I'm entertained.
Dark is dope, but it starts slow. Don't give up before episode 6.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

looking good

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Just got around to watching Castlevania and enjoyed it a lot. Only four episodes so its a very easy binge as its shorter than most feature length movies. Looking forward to season 2.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Finished Black Mirror. Enjoyed every single episode. Hopefully, we get a fifth season sometime this year.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Spartan wrote:Finished Black Mirror. Enjoyed every single episode. Hopefully, we get a fifth season sometime this year.
found arkangel boring and black museum a bit long. better than last season overall, maybe second to s2.

metalhead is
fucking great. more intense than white bear, love the boston dynamics gimmick. straight up action with a fast pace.

the one thing it's missing is a twist, which i'm ambivalent about. apparently the twist was going to be:
when she's hiding in the tree and the thing goes to sleep, you see a remote drone operator get up and take a break. interesting idea but i'm v.glad they cut it.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, I found it way more consistent compared to S3. Didn't think it reached the chill factor of say Shut Up and Dance, White Bear, The Entire History of You or White Christmas - Crocodile was perhaps the closest for me personally. Certainly didn't find any of the episodes a snoozefest like San Junipero or unnecessary goofy like Nosedive. Black Museum was also a nice finale; loved the portmanteau treatment and the wraparound along with the easter eggs was quality.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

[quote="Spartan"Certainly didn't find any of the episodes a snoozefest like San Junipero \[/quote]

I thought I was the only one. It was , by far, my least favorite episode of the entire series. The way people suck it off baffles me.

alpha

Post by alpha »

San Junipero is one of the best episodes. Probably top 3.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^case in point.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^lmao and perfect guy to rep for it. i actually like SJ, had a cool twist and i believe the first happy ending to any ep. but it's soft/not mindblowing. virtue signalling beta cucks and dykes boost it for virtue points.

@spartan crocodile fucked me up like nothing since shut up & dance. i had nightmares. nh. i also ate cheese tho so could be that.

ranking this season:

callister
metalhead
crocodile
hang the dj
black museum
arkangel
1. Nas
2. Drake

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Yeah, San Junipero is at the bottom for me too.

I've yet to watch season 4. As someone who is not a Star Trek dork, is there any chance I'll enjoy the first episode?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

actually a pretty good chance, the whole episode is about how star trek dorks are sometimes really shitty people with unearned persecution complexes

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Every Black Mirror opinion is the worst...which is why I try not to share mine. That said season 4 might be my favorite overall even though there were a couple episodes I hated.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Speaking of black mirror ripping other shows off.. anyone else catch the curb your enthusiasm rip off in the “hang the dj” episode lmao

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

tehgiftofgab wrote:Speaking of black mirror ripping other shows off.. anyone else catch the curb your enthusiasm rip off in the “hang the dj” episode lmao
no musta flown over my head. ripping off is pretty much their whole MO tho. what original episodes are there? just waldo?
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

unclebengi wrote:Every Black Mirror opinion is the worst...which is why I try not to share mine. That said season 4 might be my favorite overall even though there were a couple episodes I hated.
very true. on reddit there was a non negligible number of users defending that meth damon dude. after having seen the whole episode. cause his coworkers weren't nice to him. SMH
1. Nas
2. Drake

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

The Jack Black Polka Ponzi Movie was pretty dope.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
tehgiftofgab wrote:Speaking of black mirror ripping other shows off.. anyone else catch the curb your enthusiasm rip off in the “hang the dj” episode lmao
no musta flown over my head. ripping off is pretty much their whole MO tho. what original episodes are there? just waldo?
The episode where Sammy wants Larry to tell Susie that she makes that annoying noise every time she takes a sip of a drink lol

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

wouldn't cye have come out prior?

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

that's what i'm saying.. Curb did it first

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i have to think production for that show was done prior to the CYE airing.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

that's a pretty common trope for showing mundane friction and annoyance about small things in relationships

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Good point on both parts, I forget which season it even happened in curb... and speaking of curb, they kind of stole the “Love contract” idea from chappelles show lol

alpha

Post by alpha »

tehgiftofgab wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
The episode where Sammy wants Larry to tell Susie that she makes that annoying noise every time she takes a sip of a drink lol
The Social Assassin!