What the fuck is an IMAX theatre?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

FuckYou

What the fuck is an IMAX theatre?

Post by FuckYou »

There is one in Atlantic City at the Trop I believe. Never heard of these things. Is this like how they did 3D movies in the 1970's, like Jaws and shit?

They are showing the new Batman flick and I am interested in this IMAX thing. Maybe I'll see it there tonight or Sunday and kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah, I know I could have Googled it but I also wanna know if this is better than regular theaters and maybe some of you have been to these things.

Holla at your one man abortion clinic.

Peace,

FY
"George Bush doesn't care about black people."
-Kanye West

Useff

Post by Useff »

Gigantic screens, excellent surround sound.

From the site:
SEE MORE, HEAR MORE, FEEL MORE -- IMAX is the ultimate movie experience. With crystal clear images up to eight stories high, and wrap-around digital surround sound, IMAX takes you to places you only imagined.

Experience the adventure, drama and emotion of some of your favorite Hollywood movies with the extraordinary IMAX visual clarity and sound quality. IMAX takes you on journeys to fantastic worlds in films such as The Polar Express: An IMAX 3D Experience, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The IMAX Experience and The Matrix Revolutions: The IMAX Experience. Check out the Films/Coming Soon section of this site regularly to learn about upcoming IMAX releases of Hollywood films.

Climb the daunting heights of Everest. Experience the weightlessness of space. Dive into the undersea world of the most fearsome great white sharks. Slam-dunk with Michael Jordan. Travel into exciting sci/fi worlds. Take a look at the Films/Now Playing section of this site to see the exciting film titles available to IMAX theatres around the world.

Only IMAX lets you feel like you're really there.

More than 700 million people around the world have been spellbound by the force and beauty of The IMAX Experience. Technically advanced and visually stunning, The IMAX Experience is the world's most powerful and immersive movie experience.
I used to watch these a lot when I was younger at science museums and such.

FuckYou

Post by FuckYou »

Hmmm...

Batman Begins + Imax + Silver Haze + Mushrooms = Sounds like a good time.

Or not?

Thanks for the information. I was really looking for personal insight.

-FY
"George Bush doesn't care about black people."
-Kanye West

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

They're showing more and more movies on imax...kinda weird to me considering its been around for so long

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

whenever I hear IMAX I think OmniMax...those HUGE Dome-shaped screens and shit, watching movies like "Avalanche" and "Volcanoes" and the like.
The stadium seating was at about a 80 degree angle. Finding a seat was scary.

They were dope as fuck though.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Sit as far back as you can, or else you'll be twisting your neck around the whole movie just to see what's going on. The screen is so big that your peripheral vision can't cover everything.

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

i don't know about shrooms

i can't sit still on some shrooms

i tried to watch freddy v jason on some and had to go to the bathroom every 5-10 minutes

Dids

Post by Dids »

I'm not sure that watching all the jump cuts in BB on an IMAX screen would be worth it.

IMAX is pretty fucking cool though.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

I used to work at an IMAX clone (IMAX is a brand of "Large Screen Theaters") in high school and watching normal blockbusters on the huge (4 stories or so) screen was always cool.

The ones I've been in also have better sound systems.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

They're awesome, I'd go see Batman on a bigger screen and pay more for it.

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

theyre awesome i'd go to a big screen to pay more for it

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I heard that.

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

lol

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Andvil wrote:whenever I hear IMAX I think OmniMax...those HUGE Dome-shaped screens and shit, watching movies like "Avalanche" and "Volcanoes" and the like.

My grand parents came to town and we went and saw Ring of Fire at the Omnimax in Cincinnati. My grandma got sick and passed out in the theatre. It was awesome.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Imax+Batman=pretty damn intense.

BayAreaHustla408

Post by BayAreaHustla408 »

these are cool.........my neck hurts when i leave tho

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

I wish there was one near me, Imax is really cool.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

SIT IN THE BACK.

The theater 5 minutes from my house used to be only one of 3 in Illinois, they ended up getting rid of it around Xmas, because it was just too expensive and no-one would go.

Anyway, the screen is BIG. 8 stories tall actually, which is why I'm telling you to sit in the back. The sound is better than THX 7.1 surround, it is the best sound for any theater in the world, and the resolution on the screen is very crisp.

There are 2 down sides:

1) Films that ACTUALLY run in IMAX cannot run longer than 2 hours, so if they are running any longer, they're just the original print being played on a much larger screen for no good reason.

2) IMAX presentations are closer to the dimensions of a TV screen, so widescreen is not an option (unless, like I said before, it's just the regular print being played on a much larger screen).

Anyway, if a movie says "NOW PLAYING EVERYWHERE AND IMAX" It means you will be seeing a specific cut of the movie which is cutting off the sides but is much larger and crisper with better sound.

Hope that helps,

Smooth Lou

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

cascarrabias wrote:
Andvil wrote:whenever I hear IMAX I think OmniMax...those HUGE Dome-shaped screens and shit, watching movies like "Avalanche" and "Volcanoes" and the like.

My grand parents came to town and we went and saw Ring of Fire at the Omnimax in Cincinnati. My grandma got sick and passed out in the theatre. It was awesome.
I saw that exact same movie, probably at the exact same omnimax. :ohsh:

I have family in Cincinnati

FoJaR

Post by FoJaR »

my dad and sister are in cinci right now, visiting my grandma.

From the land of the UNBANNED

BRAZ

Post by BRAZ »

what the fuck we got an imax but they only show made for imax movies which are cool but BATMAN ON IMAX. go to this man

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Andvil wrote:I saw that exact same movie, probably at the exact same omnimax. :ohsh:

I have family in Cincinnati
At Union Terminal? The huge old train station that's now a children's history and science museum?

This place?

Where in Cincinnati does your family live?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

that's the one. My mom still has a picture of us out in front of that place on her refridgerator.

2 cousins that I'm pretty close with live up there....both have families....
One used to live in Norwood I think it was, and now lives in Loveland.
I always remember going to UDF and Circle K, and driving by Marge Schott's car dealership.
Went to tons of Reds games too, back when it was Riverfront and Cinergy field.
My other cousin has always lived in Loveland.
So not DIRECTLY in Cincy, but on the outskirts.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

that's how i experienced both star wars and batman , both on imax. if your theater has only 1 imax screen, its good to get there at least 45 minutes before the movie starts, cuz there is a line (well i guess there was cuz i saw it last week) and like everyone is saying, u want the best seat. the best seats are about 3 rows down from the very top, right in the middle.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Andvil wrote:2 cousins that I'm pretty close with live up there....both have families....
One used to live in Norwood I think it was, and now lives in Loveland.
I always remember going to UDF and Circle K, and driving by Marge Schott's car dealership.
Went to tons of Reds games too, back when it was Riverfront and Cinergy field.
My other cousin has always lived in Loveland.
So not DIRECTLY in Cincy, but on the outskirts.
Norwood is alright. It's just about the most convenient place to live in Cincinnati. Right by the lateral. You can get anywhere in 15 minutes.

What's Circle K? I have no idea what that is.

The new field is awesome. I've only been there twice. But it's no Riverfront. Did you see footage of them blowing it up?

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

cascarrabias wrote:What's Circle K? I have no idea what that is.

The new field is awesome. I've only been there twice. But it's no Riverfront. Did you see footage of them blowing it up?
remember in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, the convenience store they stood outside of when the phone booth showed up? That was a Circle K. Just like a 7-11 or any other store like that. I dont think they exist anymore.

I remember seeing Riverfront blow up on the news. I had the chance to go, but didnt for some reason, I dont remember why