Jarhead

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

alpha

Jarhead

Post by alpha »

who's excited to see this?

but wtf is up with "jesus walks" playing in the trailer....

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

looks real fucking ill, but theres already a thread about it somewhere

i think jesus walks is just in the trailer because that song already sounds like a military marching song

alpha

Post by alpha »

SeaTownBlues wrote:looks real fucking ill, but theres already a thread ]about it somewhere
MY BAD, didnt see any specific threads on this
i think jesus walks is just in the trailer because that song already sounds like a military marching song AHH I see

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Sam Mendes directed this right? Yeah, definitely want to see it.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

cascarrabias wrote:Sam Mendes directed this right?
Correct
cascarrabias wrote:Yeah, definitely want to see it.
Completely agreed.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Psychosis Again wrote:
cascarrabias wrote:Sam Mendes directed this right?
Correct
cascarrabias wrote:Yeah, definitely want to see it.
Completely agreed.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

cascarrabias wrote:Sam Mendes directed Road to Perdition right?
Yeah, definitely hope he gets over the sophomore slump.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

What else did Sam Mendes direct?

Yeah, I want to see this bad. I think "Jesus Walks" makes the trailer pretty intense.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Jamie Foxx's "WHORIDE" was very unnecessary and a bit premature for it's time in this movie.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Philaflava wrote:Jamie Foxx's "WHORIDE"
I really wish this wasn't in every single trailer for the movie

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

ChristPuncher wrote:What else did Sam Mendes direct?
american beauty, road to perdition

Ain't it funky

Post by Ain't it funky »

Saw a screening and was a little disappointed with this. It definitely has its moments but it's also kind of a mess. If it's supposed to be about the dreariness and the consequences of a soldier just waiting it out in Iraq, then fine, but then the film also attempts to punch up a bunch of minor events with music, etc (they're playing football! And partying!) and tries to force them to be somehow interesting or exciting. I feel a more consistent tone could have better served the content of the film.

And the fact that famous actors were more or less playing variations of their public personalities (with the possible exception of Foxx) made it difficult to buy the reality of it all. Personally, I never got fully immersed in the world being presented. It was kind of like I knew I was watching a movie the whole time (like, "there's Jamie Foxx talking to Jake Gyllenhaal, oh and here comes Peter Sarsgaard").

Not to just bash on it; guess I had high expectations. I'd still say it's worth watching.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I'm gonna go see this but Mendes has to start coming with more originality if he wants to be elevated to "one of the best directors currently working" status. First he makes a 90s update of Ice Storm. Now he's making Apocalypse Now 2.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Philaflava wrote:Jamie Foxx's "WHORIDE" was very unnecessary and a bit premature for it's time in this movie.
It's a Marine thing - they said it a lot in Black Hawk Down

this movie looks very good

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/jointser ... /hooah.htm
Origins of Hooah
From Rod Powers,Your Guide to U.S. Military.

You can hear it echoing from the hallowed halls of Fort Benning, Ga.'s Infantry Center to the ranges at Fort Lewis, Wash. It is uttered at award ceremonies, bellowed from formations, and repeated before, during and after training missions. You can hear it shouted by Air Force Security Forces, Pararescue, and Combat Controllers. The word is thundered out by Navy SEALs, and by United States Marines (who pronounce it "OohRah!").
So, where did the term originate? The simple answer is that nobody knows, although there are dozens of theories. Heck, nobody can even agree on the correct spelling of this widely used military "word."

No matter how one might spell the word -- with or without a hyphen, a U instead of two Os, and so on -- the word is still an expression of high morale, strength and confidence. And, when powered by an overwhelmingly proud, and usually loud, tone of voice, hooah seems to stomp out any possibility of being bound by the written word.

"It's an affirmation that I fully agree with and support the idea or intent expressed by the person to whom I make that response," said Maj. Gen. F.A. Gorden, Military District of Washington commander. "It applies not only to the letter of what was said, but to the spirit of what was said."

Former Army Chief of Staff Gen. Gordon R. Sullivan has his interpretation. "I don't know how exactly to spell it, but I know what it means," Sullivan said. "It means we have broken the mold. We are battle focused. Hooah says

Dids

Post by Dids »

My understanding is that Ho-aa or however you say it phonetically (hint- it's not how Pachino does it in Sent) is just a miltary thing. I heard this from my friend whose father was a Colonel, so I'm guessing he'd know.

Some research:
Hooah, Hoo-rah or Hoo-yah
(US) A spirited cry, meaning "affirmative" or "I am motivated." Short for "Heard, Understood and Acknowledged." Hoo-rah is chiefly used by the US Marines. Not to be confused with HUA which is pronounced much the same.
The biggest thing I remember taking away from this conversation was that it's said a lot more like Fox does it than Pachino did.

SeaTownBlues

Post by SeaTownBlues »

:lol: It's "HOO-RA" and it is definitely a marine thing.

Maybe Phila was joking though

Dids

Post by Dids »

No. Like I said, it's mostly a marine thing- but it's most def not "hoo-rah" there should be no "r" sound.

This thread needs Marsh Drips.

J Dub

Post by J Dub »

Sankofa wrote:
Fuck that, road to perdition was an excellent movie.

Jizzy
O.G. Status

Post by Jizzy »

I'll be seeing this when it hits my town. "Road To Perdition" is mad under rated.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

J Dub wrote:
Sankofa wrote:
Fuck that, road to perdition was an excellent movie.
I again completely agree with a statement made in this thread.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Road to Perdition minus Paul Newman and B&W photography=no thanks.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Sankofa wrote:Road to Perdition minus Paul Newman and B&W photography=no thanks.
:arrow:

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Psychosis Again wrote:
Sankofa wrote:Road to Perdition minus Paul Newman and B&W photography=no thanks.

yeah you are obviously in the minority I think road is fucking brilliant. Better than American Beauty which is overrated... Now its WHOAH, not whorah or whatever the fuck you idiots are saying... and the navy and army are gay if you are not a marine you are a faggot...

J Dub

Post by J Dub »

Trademark wrote:
Psychosis Again wrote:

yeah you are obviously in the minority I think road is fucking brilliant. Better than American Beauty which is overrated... Now its WHOAH, not whorah or whatever the fuck you idiots are saying... and the navy and army are gay if you are not a marine you are a faggot...
1) Try telling that to the cats that go to west point and other military academies

2) If by faggot, you mean don't want to get put on the front lines and fucking smoked though, then yes i would agree.

But, in that post above, i at least agree with you about road to perdition.

eastvandemolition

Post by eastvandemolition »

Trademark wrote:

yeah you are obviously in the minority I think road is fucking brilliant. Better than American Beauty which is overrated...
I agree.

Road > American Beauty

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

eastvandemolition wrote: American Beauty
Yo whatever he stole that concept from common anyway.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Chale Holmes

Post by Chale Holmes »

Dids wrote:No. Like I said, it's mostly a marine thing- but it's most def not "hoo-rah" there should be no "r" sound.

This thread needs Marsh Drips.
In the Chair Force, the ate up motherfuckers say HOO-AH, but in the marines they say Hoo-Rah! The "r" IS in fact pronounced.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Come to think of it Road to Perdition's whole look is stolen from a far better film about Irish gangsters in the same period; Miller's Crossing.
Last edited by Icesickle on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Very much looking forward to this movie. Also, I liked American beauty alot when I first saw it...however I really don't care to watch it again other than to maybe glance at the natural and overdeveloped young breasts of Thora Birch. I prefer Road to Perdition, such a great movie.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Weathering the Storm
The waiting is the hardest part in Mendes and company's Gulf War frustration meditation

by J. Hoberman

One of the few Hollywood movies to ever acknowledge the Desert Storm "experience," Sam Mendes's Jarhead is both fastidiously grueling and perversely withholding. In his adaptation of Anthony Swofford's memoir, Mendes has contrived a combat film almost entirely without combat.

Highly appropriate: Operation Desert Storm was not just the first war with a real-time mass audience, it proved virtually cost-free for its (non-Iraqi) spectators. Casualties were erased as the combat situation merged with its own ultra-produced tele-representation. Back then Sylvester Stallone sagely declared Desert Storm but a speed bump on the highway of history