Le Samourai...!

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

Le Samourai...!

Post by darkwingduck »

as per Andvil's recommendation, I swooped up on it at amazon. Can't wait to get this one. One question for thos who have seen it...Is there any sword play in it (no homo)? Could you give me a few examples of more contemporary films that have completely bit this films steez without spoiling it for me...?

Thanks YO!

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

No swords. Le Samourai is called Le Samourai because the main character, Jef, is just the embodiment of a samurai, but in 1960s France, with a gun.
You know, he works alone, he doesn't trust anyone, he's a badass, he carefully plans out his assignments, he's meticulous and quiet, he FUCKS MAD GIRLIES (assumed)
I guess technically he's actually more of a ronin rather than a samurai.
REGARDLESS, incredible movie. I've watched it twice since getting it.
Love the ending.

As for similar movies....
John Woo credits Le Samourai as the direct influence for The Killer (or is it Hard Boiled? I'm pretty sure it's The Killer).
I really wouldn't know what else, I'll have to think about it. The Professional maybe? kind of?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

It is in the mail and on it's way along with Rififi, and Bob Le Flambeur.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

he FUCKS MAD GIRLIES (assumed)
I think you're wrong on this. Jef is a schitzophrenic commited only to his mission and nothing else, sex has no meanining and no priority/importance for him. That's why in the beginning he ignores the chick giving him the eye at the traffic light, instead of talking to her or following her. The implication is that he COULD get mad ass as women find him attractive, but he's too isolated in his own madness.

You are right about the Killer, it's a direct remake of Le Samourai. The main character in Killer is named Jeff, and one scene in the night club in the Killer ( I think it's the scene sampled on OBFCL - "you sang beautifully just now....") is shot-for-shot to the scene where Jef goes into the club for the second time.

The Professional/Leon is also somewhat of a remake. Another one you should check out is The Driver, dir by Walter Hill - same guy who did The Warriors actually.

EDIT - adding Ghostdog, another good homage/remake to Le Samourai. I'm guessing a lot of people already seen this one, but it's deserves a holla anyway Ghostog is also heavily influenced by Tokyo Drifter, which is a pop-art masterpiece in itself and definitely worth checking out.
Last edited by drizzle on Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

yeah, I think what I meant was that if he wanted to, Jef could probably get it on as much as he wanted to, even though there are basically only 2 female interests in the whole movie. Cause obviously he doesnt have sex at all in the movie.
By the way, all the ladies in this movie are hot. Mmmm....French chicks from the 60s.

Good call on The Driver too. Forgot about that one.

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

I saw this last year and liked it a lot. then I proceeded to forget about it. Now I want to see it again because of this thread.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Jane - Jef's alibi, also Alain Delon's wife in real life. I can see now why he was so good in the role - it's probably real easy to act like your picture is in the Dictionary under 'badass' when you're coming home to that every night.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Random Sample wrote:It is in the mail and on it's way along with Rififi, and Bob Le Flambeur.
Whoo doggie, you're in for a treat m'man. Rififi is dope as hell, and Bob Le Flambeur is that shit too. Bob has an all time great ending. Also, I think PTAnderson's movie Hard Eight/Sydney is a remake. Rififi... All time great heist sequence in that one. PEFECT heist sequence.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

PEFECT heist sequence.
Have you ever seen Le Circle Rouge - there is a similar silent robbery which i think was made as a nod to Riffifi

Never realized Hard Eight was a remake, gots to look that up. The Good Thief is def a remake of Bob Le Flambeur though, and pretty good (i actualy prefer the remake, which is like choosing hot dogs over lobster, but i guess i'm stupid like that)

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

drizzle wrote:
PEFECT heist sequence.
Have you ever seen Le Circle Rouge - there is a similar silent robbery which i think was made as a nod to Riffifi

Never realized Hard Eight was a remake, gots to look that up. The Good Thief is def a remake of Bob Le Flambeur though, and pretty good (i actualy prefer the remake, which is like choosing hot dogs over lobster, but i guess i'm stupid like that)
Yeah, Le Circle is dope. About Hard Eight being a remake, take that with a grain of salt. I mean, from what I remember there's no big heist in Hard Eight. It's just that Bob and Sydney seem very very alike, and they both have mentoring relationships with similar young men.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I am glad, because I love heist movies. I can't wait for them to get here.
drizzle wrote:Le Circle Rouge
I am picking that up next month along with Ran. Dvdplanet.com criterion selection & prices make me happy. I have so many I want to pick up now.

Has anyone seen this:

I was thinking about picking it up also. looked pretty interesting.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

ahhhhh....DAMN YO! This movie was so badass. I loved the pace, the suttleness. Just about everything this movie portrayed was dynamite. I loved seeing Paris on location and all the citreon cars and shit. One of the trucks in the film had a sliding door rather than a door on hindges.

If this is considered film Noir, sign me up! What other flicks are similar to this? RIFIFI was mentioned as was TOYKO DRIFTER...Are these a must if I extremely enjoyed le Samurai...?

One question for thos who have seen it tho.

When Costello gets to his crib, he notices something from his bird that sets him off on a hunt through his apt to find that bugging devise. What sign did he get from that bird in a cage...?

Not to mention the black chic in that movie reminds me of a 60's version of Halley Berry....Only HOTTER....

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

darkwingduck wrote:
If this is considered film Noir, sign me up! What other flicks are similar to this? RIFIFI was mentioned as was TOYKO DRIFTER...Are these a must if I extremely enjoyed le Samurai...?

One question for thos who have seen it tho.
almost as much as The Killer is a remake of Le Samourai, Le Samourai is a remake of

Un Flic is another good Melville/Delon heist movie with a cool heist scene on a train

John Huston's The Asphalt Jungle is a great heist movie
Hemingway Novel Model

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

StormShadow wrote:Rififi is dope as hell

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

darkwingduck wrote:If this is considered film Noir, sign me up! What other flicks are similar to this? RIFIFI was mentioned as was TOYKO DRIFTER...Are these a must if I extremely enjoyed le Samurai...?
*I* wouldn't consider it film noir, but I'm not a huge noir expert anyway. Rififi and Tokyo Drifter are very necessary, but I don't think liking Le Samourai means you'll like them. Tokyo Drifter is totally different, and Rififi isn't that similar.

Check out Le Circle Rouge, also mentioned in this thread. Same actor, same director. (Apparently John Woo is remaking this, btw. Hm.) Check out Bob Le Flambeur, same director. Not related very closely (but hey as long as we're throwing out shit like Tokyo Drifter, why not), but I recommend Wages of Fear as well, now available in an even newer, more specialer edition.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

StormShadow wrote:Le Circle Rouge
StormShadow wrote:Bob Le Flambeur
StormShadow wrote:Wages of Fear
so Le Circle Rouge and Le Flambeur are both Mellville flicks? I take it they have the same pace and tempo to the film. Minimal dialog...? The Le Samurai DVD slip mentioned that JOHN WOO considers this director GOD!!!

These I take it are Crieterion releases...?

Wages of Fear...mmm. might have to hunt for that huh...? These typa flicks I generally wait till they are re:released.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

yeah, those are all Criterion releases

Wages of Fear just got re-released, so I doubt you'll have to hunt very hard

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I watched it this weekend finally. It was very good. I liked the colors of the movie. The white girl was hot. I think I am going out to buy a trenchcoat and a fedora this weekend.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Random Sample...NICE TRIBUTE sig...

my question still remains unanswered tho...

WTF did Joe see in the bird?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

darkwingduck wrote:Random Sample...NICE TRIBUTE sig...

my question still remains unanswered tho...

WTF did Joe see in the bird?
the director says something about it in the liner notes of the movie, but I can't remeber. It wasn't a definitive answer though.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I'm not sure if that question has a clear, 100% correct answer...

read Ebert's "Great Movies" essay on Le Samourai, he mentions something about it...

click here

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Andvil wrote:I'm not sure if that question has a clear, 100% correct answer...

read Ebert's "Great Movies" essay on Le Samourai, he mentions something about it...

click here
that just mentioned the bird...not sure if it explained. I'm gonna hafta actually read that thick ass book that the dvd came with.