BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

thablend

Re: BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Post by thablend »

Nice ,id like to check that comic out thanks
with the mick wall book it tapers a bit near the end of the book too, with all the guns n roses stuff. The best stuff is his own life story which is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the story which is dope (literaly for the most part)
Il b interested to hear wat u think of it man
re. to heinlein books,my memory is ruined,presumably from years of fun/substance abuse-i been reading scifi heavily for the last 20 years and have severe difficulty seperating authors and titles to the point its embarrasing
just read a summary of waldo , and magic inc. Im pretty sure i havnt read those. Mad concepts, will look out for a copy.
just a gwneral question, do you read ebooks? i find it kills my eyes,at least on a phone or laptop. those og kindles look easier on the eye.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

thablend wrote:Nice ,id like to check that comic out thanks
with the mick wall book it tapers a bit near the end of the book too, with all the guns n roses stuff. The best stuff is his own life story which is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the story which is dope (literaly for the most part)
Il b interested to hear wat u think of it man
re. to heinlein books,my memory is ruined,presumably from years of fun/substance abuse-i been reading scifi heavily for the last 20 years and have severe difficulty seperating authors and titles to the point its embarrasing
just read a summary of waldo , and magic inc. Im pretty sure i havnt read those. Mad concepts, will look out for a copy.
just a gwneral question, do you read ebooks? i find it kills my eyes,at least on a phone or laptop. those og kindles look easier on the eye.
Here you go:

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/f67999fdc7/Forever_War.rar

Yea, I mostly read ebooks, unless an epub or pdf version of the book is not available online then I borrow it from the library. I used to hate ebooks too. However, after I got Windows 8 and encountered the Freda app, I started reading ebooks more, and now they're my sole reading source. Might be wise to get a device that's built for ebooks especially. Get a kindle or cheap android tablet. It's so much more convenient.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thablend

Post by thablend »

Thanks man! I'll have a go readin on my laptop / phone see how it goes.
I dont have nuff money to splash on a tablet right now, tho i have to say the budget end of the android market is a lot better than it was a year or 2 ago.

Much apreciated man nice one

observe911

Post by observe911 »

Currently reading this

The last thing I read was this..I recently watched a doc about Timbuktu's lost literature and they didnt mention Barth's name in it when they mentioned everyone else's when really he was the first one to report back on it. I guess explorer society still holds contempt for him..after all those years..a real shame.

I bought this one a month ago, but had to return due to money problems from losing my job.

PAWGing

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Currently reading Blockbusters: Hit-making, Risk-taking, and the Big Business of Entertainment great book so far. I love the books that show how much bullshit the promises of the internet are in this case the long tail.

Kace

Post by Kace »

observe911 wrote:Currently reading this

The last thing I read was this..I recently watched a doc about Timbuktu's lost literature and they didnt mention Barth's name in it when they mentioned everyone else's when really he was the first one to report back on it. I guess explorer society still holds contempt for him..after all those years..a real shame.

I bought this one a month ago, but had to return due to money problems from losing my job.

Those are all interesting. I've only read the first one though.

Are you familiar with these two?

The author of these books claims that ancient Greek civilization had it's origins in Africa.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

zappy

Post by zappy »

been reading everything by L. E. Modesitt. Saga of Recluse, Corean Chronicles, Imager Portfolio.

all fantastic fantasy series, could not recommend more highly.

observe911

Post by observe911 »

Kace wrote:
observe911 wrote:Currently reading this

Those are all interesting. I've only read the first one though.

Are you familiar with these two?

The author of these books claims that ancient Greek civilization had it's origins in Africa.
No I haven't read black Athena, but I've heard about it when I watched the Debate with Dr Henrik Clarke and Martin Bernal Vs Mary Lefkowitz ..there's another book about black influence in Greece called "Stolen Legacy"..they have the PDF online..still haven't read it yet. I haven't read anything in a few months because I am no longer working, and at work I would read all day during my downtime..now I just watch lectures and docs all day..,
PAWGing

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Completed Thomas S Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Insightful messages but extremely techincal / convoluted prose. If you're an advanced reader you might not have a problem with it, but regardless it's still not a leisure read.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Thread took a turn for the nerd. I've read a shit load this year, currently reading The Rook. Goofy premise, but fantastic execution. About halfway through after a few days.

zappy

Post by zappy »

so since about last july i've been reading three series by my favorite author, The Saga of Recluse, the Imager Portfolio, and the Corean Chronicles. I just finished a day or two ago, and i'm out of stuff to read.

anyone have any good fantasy recommendations?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

you've probably already read them but:

obsidian trilogy mercedes lackey
sovereign stone trilogy mercedes lackey
wheel of time robert jordan (<--- you've definitely read this, but just in case ...)

& then there are a bunch of other ones whose names are escaping me right now. i read fantasy voraciously when i was a little kid. it was kind of a phase for me. i gradually read less and less as i grew older to the point where i've given up fiction altogether. i'd rather read an autobiography or some other type of non-fiction. i might get back into them in the future, but i really doubt it.

right now i'm reading don letts autobiography. so far it's been very illuminating. it does a very good job of presenting all the different facets of the initial punk scene in england. it also goes through don letts time in NYC, the various projects he's been involved in, and also some insight into how life was for a black man in the uk during the 70s.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

finished the don letts book. i picked up blur 3862 days the official history. the author's writing style is more dense, flowery than david nobakht's, but hopefully, the sound engaging narrative that (i'm hoping) is tucked underneath it all will blunt the sour edge of it.

zappy

Post by zappy »

i'll give those a try. and yeah, i've read wheel of time

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Finished the blur autobiography. It was an interesting read, but the writing style was too much for me. it was, how do i say it? overwrought. & the view point wasn't balanced at all, as the author would go off on these weird tangents (i.e. slagging off Nirvana, Oasis) & the whole time I'm like ... dude ... I don't give two flying fucks about what bands you think are hot, just tell me about blur and get on with it.

Anyways it's all done. I've decided that I'm going to take a break from autobiography books for a bit and go back to sci fi. I'm currently reading the Charles Sheffield book Godspeed. From the first couple of pages it looks likes it's going to be a fun diversion. It shouldn't take me too long to plow through.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Charles Sheffield book is done. I already wrote a review here, & apart from what I said there I don't think there's anything extra i want to add.

I'm currently reading Contact by Carl Sagan.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Finally got around to reading this:

And it's been weighing heavy on my mind since I finished it about a week ago. McCarthy uses a shitload of archaic language, so it was a difficult read at times, but it's easily one of my favorite books. Pretty much every single line uttered by Judge Holden deserves in-depth analysis.

Concerning the ending:
The men who discovered The Kid in the outhouse were shocked by the sight of his corpse. Given the times, that wouldn't be an appropriate response to a run-of-the-mill murder. I'm assuming that Judge Holden split his anus in two and then strangled him to death. He was raping and disposing of little kids throughout the novel, although you had to piece that together (for the most part). McCarthy is a sick fuck. I've seen a lot of reviews where people just stopped reading at a certain point (mostly when infants were getting their skulls bashed in). The most disturbing aspect of the novel is that Holden could be construed as a god figure (he's all-knowing, nothing should exist without his consent, etc). And hell fucking no there can't be any movie for this shit.

I also read The Road, which is A+ caliber, but it's like a Disney production in comparison to Blood Meridian.

Not sure what to read next. Either the Border Trilogy, or No Country For Old Men. Probably the former.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Kid That's Lifeless

I thought the ending of the Road was such bullshit.

Reading You Shall Know Our Velocity. Read Portnoy's Complaint last week, which was fucking great.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

The Road has been apotheosized to high noon and this is something I've never understood. Can somebody tell me why this book has won so many awards? I read it, and my initial impressions were: (a) the writing style sucks (doubly worse since McCarthy did this on purpose & judging from his other works i.e. Blood Meridian it doesn't seem like he's not a master of ornate prose) (b) hype does not match the content. (c) this has been done before.

ric

Post by ric »

heres the thing about the road. the writing is minimal but the explicit and implicit construction is outrageous (the emotional build etc) and so much that is so complicated is thoroughly explored and yet the details are there and he makes you feel like youre living the experience along with them with the stuff he chooses to write about and on top of that there are sequences in the book which are like perfectly impactful for what the book is

so much of modern writing theory is all about being simplistic and essential. so the road achieves a ton considering its minimalism

Kid That's Lifeless

Which is great, but I'm talking about the specifics of the story.

The man dies and the kid is by himself. Then some faggot strolls over and is like, "cool, little fella, come with us"?

Fuck outta here. Kill the kid, pussy.

I finished Galveston by True Detective Pizza guy which was a decent little read. On The White Boy Shuffle which has been slaying me. Pretty sure Thun is the author.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

ric wrote:so much of modern writing theory is all about being simplistic and essential.
minimalism has been the 'in'-thing for almost a century now. writers like hemingway have shown us that it's possible to accomplish much without being too heavy handed (which victorian authors were notorious for). what does mccarthy do that hemingway, and the countless authors who emulated him, have not done? if anything, it's about time that the pendulum starts swinging in the other direction. too many new authors are prefacing the garbage they're promoting with words like 'minimalism' & 'simplicity'.
ric wrote:heres the thing about the road. the writing is minimal but the explicit and implicit construction is outrageous (the emotional build etc) and so much that is so complicated is thoroughly explored and yet the details are there and he makes you feel like youre living the experience along with them with the stuff he chooses to write about and on top of that there are sequences in the book which are like perfectly impactful for what the book is
I see that you really enjoyed it and you make some good points. I'll just say that I didn't get it, and I'm kind of annoyed how people keep shoving it to other people's throats as if it's some landmark achievement in literature.

ric

Post by ric »

@cha
yeah i mean the difference between the road and hemingway seems to be (and maybe this is just a generational thing) that hemingway is well...often boring while the road is compelling and still touches on that whole 'fantasy' thing. i mean were exploring the apocalypse here at a time when people talk about how they would handle apocalypse scenarios on a friday night with their bros.

i dont think its a novel to post up a flag about but its definitely awesome. not that im super schooled in this shit beyond some amateur writing experience/education and just loving to read

ian e

Post by ian e »

Just finished reading The Short-Timers by Gus Hasford, the book Full Metal Jacket is based on. I think it's superior to the movie actually... even if the boot camp scenes are kept to a minimum.

It's downloadable for free on the archived version of the author's website.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Just finished reading this ...

The first quarter was an enjoyable ride, but by the time I was seventy-five percent through the entire thing just ran out of steam. I want to love this book, I honestly do, but giving it more than a 3/5 would be disingenious of me. I am certain that I will never ever read a Paul Di Filippo book for as long as I live.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Looking for some good sci fi books. I don't read much of this genre so please recommend some of the obvious ones and also some more obscure jawns too.

thanls bros.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Ramen wrote:Looking for some good sci fi books. I don't read much of this genre so please recommend some of the obvious ones and also some more obscure jawns too.

thanls bros.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Ramen wrote:Looking for some good sci fi books. I don't read much of this genre so please recommend some of the obvious ones and also some more obscure jawns too.

thanls bros.

pick up READY PLAYER ONE!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I actually just finished Ready Player One. Was a fun read.