"Better Call Saul"

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tweak Da Leak

Re: "Better Call Saul"

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Yeah understood with Chuck, but he knew he couldn't get Chuck's respect when he decided to leave Cisero again and go back to the obligation of his elder clients, was it just Marco's death that turned him away from that or a second realization that chuck was never going to respect him? Gilligan said they wrote the finale before they knew they would be picked up for another season so it seems they wanted a way to have him turn to Saul in case that was it, I think if he would've just sped off after Mike proclaimed to be just doing his job and left it somewhat ambiguous that would have been better.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
drizzle wrote: However, I think he had a moment in clarity, in that even with the amazing opportunity right in front of him, he felt no satisfaction from it, because his desire to become legit was never really about obtaining a high degree of success, it was about gaining Chuck's respect, and that dream is now officially dead.
As awkwardly stated in my previous post, that dream was dead when he decided he was done scamming in Cisero and going back to his elder clients, was it just Marco's death that triggered another realization?
UBM CD COMING SOON

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

I think his decision to pass on the potential job was based on the concepts of a) embracing his natural skills at being a con man (slippin Jimmy) and b) the opportunity to be his own boss and self-define his goals. Even with his goal of making Chuck proud being a nullity at the point of the last episode, he had the chance to work for another major firm where he would constantly be needing to re-prove his worth. They could have easily hired him for his involvement in the Sandpiper case and then if he clashed with the higher-up's later on he could have been canned. The season showed how his friend (Kim?) hadn't been given a partnership despite busting her ass for HHM. Jimmy/Saul didn't want to constantly be seeking other's approval when he knows that he can embrace his slicker/shadier side and not have to worry about kissing the asses of bosses/partners.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I'm wondering too if Kim/Harold going to bat for him on this had something to do with him deciding against it. Like maybe he feels they are just doing him a favor because they pity him (Harold's 'you do this every day?' comment was such a stab in the context of what they're discussing) and not because they value his work.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

zombie

Post by zombie »

samdoom wrote:I think his decision to pass on the potential job was based on the concepts of a) embracing his natural skills at being a con man (slippin Jimmy) and b) the opportunity to be his own boss and self-define his goals. Even with his goal of making Chuck proud being a nullity at the point of the last episode, he had the chance to work for another major firm where he would constantly be needing to re-prove his worth. They could have easily hired him for his involvement in the Sandpiper case and then if he clashed with the higher-up's later on he could have been canned. The season showed how his friend (Kim?) hadn't been given a partnership despite busting her ass for HHM. Jimmy/Saul didn't want to constantly be seeking other's approval when he knows that he can embrace his slicker/shadier side and not have to worry about kissing the asses of bosses/partners.
Most people might see this as "lazy".

I disagree, though. Good for Jimmy. Keep on Slipping

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Despite thinking Harold was quite the grade-A douche through most of the season, and even still after Chuck was made to be the bad guy, I didn't take his comment about "you do this everyday?" as being condescending. I thought he was genuinely impressed by how dedicated Jimmy was to taking care of his brother's idiosyncrasies.

In line with the Harold/Kim going to bat for him concept though- I don't think its a stretch to lump in his concern over the pressure that would be placed on him having to live up to how they'd talked him up to the new firm in addition to having to kiss ass at the firm. I think he realized that all of the pressure associated with the new gig, despite being lucrative, wouldn't be based on pressures he was interested in facing because they would simply be circumstantial and wouldn't cater to his strengths.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

samdoom wrote:Despite thinking Harold was quite the grade-A douche through most of the season, and even still after Chuck was made to be the bad guy, I didn't take his comment about "you do this everyday?" as being condescending. I thought he was genuinely impressed by how dedicated Jimmy was to taking care of his brother's idiosyncrasies.

I didn't think it was condescending either, totally the opposite actually. I think he was genuinely blown away by how much Jimmy did for a brother who in the end doesn't even respect him, and really wanted to help him get a leg up because of it. But on Jimmy's end that reads like pity help, as opposed to getting a position based on real appreciation of his talents and effort.

And I think that's what doesn't gel with me about the resolution... Jimmy actually seems pretty good at the elder law stuff, at least as far as working with clients, and he also shows real concern for their well-being. I get that his drive to be legit and clean was spurred by Chuck's approval, but his desire to do right by his clients is a separate thing. They didn't do enough to show what, if anything, changed in that regard from the moment of him getting the voicemails to the moment where he skips the meeting.

zombie

Post by zombie »

drizzle wrote: They didn't do enough to show what, if anything, changed in that regard from the moment of him getting the voicemails to the moment where he skips the meeting.
I think Marco dying is what changed him, or, put everything into perspective, apparently.

But I agree, I wish there was more in between those two moments. (voicemails/???/skipping meeting)

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Feel like they could have stretched the last episode into two episodes, allowing them to develop Marco and Jimmy's relationship with him more, also showing a little more conflict and context going into Jimmy's ultimate decision.

All that said I enjoyed the shit out of the episode and felt myself cheesing almost the whole way through. The Bingo scene was fucking incredible and prime example of why Odenkirk is the man.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Odenkirk has really impressed me as an actor throughout this series. From the comedic which he could always do to some serious heart wrenching shit. Amazing to me. Hope he gets an award. Mike has also killed it. Hell everyone on the show has been pretty awesome. I can't wait for the next season.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

^^^
I completely agree about Odenkirk really showing his chops in this season. He's been great. I also agree that if the final episode had been stretched out to two episodes, or even a 90 minute finale, some of the transformation would have seemed less rushed. I re-watched the episode last night and I think they set up enough hints in the season and in the beginning of the episode so that the episode works better on a second viewing. You can see how they set it up more.

I'd have been more than happy to have several more episodes in the season though.

Do you guys think they will fast forward to him already being Saul at the beginning of next season, as in already having his new name and firm up and running? Or do you guys think they'll still focus on the transition? I hope its the latter, not the former, but I could see them doing either. Probably depends on how many seasons they want to stretch out the narrative for.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I hope they continue his path towards Saul for atleast another half season, while I was entertained and amused by Saul in BB, I love Jimmy McGill.
UBM CD COMING SOON

zombie

Post by zombie »

samdoom wrote: Probably depends on how many seasons they want to stretch out the narrative for.
this is exactly what is going to happen now.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:I hope they continue his path towards Saul for atleast another half season, while I was entertained and amused by Saul in BB, I love Jimmy McGill.
Same. They managed to make a compelling complex dramatic lead out of a very fun but thinly fleshed out supporting role, by building him up very gradually. Ending of last ep was a good example of how rushing his development can make it feel forced. I'm apprehensive that making him Saul and plugging him back into the BB world too soon and too fast might turn him back to mildly cartoonish.

Re: Odenkirk's acting... I was late to Fargo, only watched it last month, but I was really diggin him in that too. It was a smallish role and I can see how it didn't stand out among all the other shit going on, but I think watching Fargo simultaneously with BCS made me pay more attention to his character and he killed it. His progression from dumb naivete to power drunk naivete to tired resignation and realization he's in over his head was really well done.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Odenkirk's ability to slightly change a character and the way he's viewed is impressive.
I loved the scheming montage from the finale.
Buy my mixtape.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

drizzle wrote:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:I hope they continue his path towards Saul for atleast another half season, while I was entertained and amused by Saul in BB, I love Jimmy McGill.
Same. They managed to make a compelling complex dramatic lead out of a very fun but thinly fleshed out supporting role, by building him up very gradually. Ending of last ep was a good example of how rushing his development can make it feel forced. I'm apprehensive that making him Saul and plugging him back into the BB world too soon and too fast might turn him back to mildly cartoonish.

Re: Odenkirk's acting... I was late to Fargo, only watched it last month, but I was really diggin him in that too. It was a smallish role and I can see how it didn't stand out among all the other shit going on, but I think watching Fargo simultaneously with BCS made me pay more attention to his character and he killed it. His progression from dumb naivete to power drunk naivete to tired resignation and realization he's in over his head was really well done.
Odenkirk's monologue after the realization he is in over his head in Fargo was superb.
UBM CD COMING SOON

zombie

Post by zombie »

Jimmy/Mike exchange at the end of the season finale left such an impact on me. Their acting was on point. Actor playing Mike deserves an award. Obviously Odenkirk too