Revisiting The Wire

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

My favorite scene today:

After they've both sold each other out and they're on Avon's balcony reminiscing about their childhood. The mood of that scene is heavy flow.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

^^^Fucking great scene.

Muzone: Its fairly widely agreed upon that he was NOT a strong character, right?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

mouzone is wack and retarded
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

damn where is all this brother mouzone hate coming from? dude was great.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

he didn't fit well into the show. shoulda been a character in boondocks.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i thought his scenes with :omar: were fun. it was like out of the entire show, he was the only one to make omar remix his shit and come with some respect.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Combo7 wrote:I'd like to see a tournament of only bit players: Slim Charles, Beadie Russell, Horseface, Sydnor, Bernard's girlfriend, etc.
Slim Charles would win this one going away. Slim Charles easily the best of the 3rd stringers.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:mouzone is wack and retarded
Cosigned. Probably the only character I hated.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

That braket all kinds of gay like did they even watch the show at all? Boris is ranked higher then Frank? Clay Davis is a top 8 character? Daniels and Bubbles are ranked below people like the lawyer and Wee Bey?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Omar himself would blast you for cutting on Mouzone in such a fashion. How do you not FUCKING LOVE a character clad in the finest Montgomery Ward's has to offer (complete with bow tie) who walks into the projects and shoots someone in broad daylight?

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Also don't understand where the Mouzone hate is coming from.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Yohan wrote:Also don't understand where the Mouzone hate is coming from.
To me the acting from Brother is unbelievably corny. The robotic delivery of his lines and the non-subtle big word every now and then comes across as extremely forced. Just a really weak character imho, I'm surprised to see a few people defending him.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Apparently you don't know how NOI members speak to one anothers. Dude was Farrakhan with a gun.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Philaflava wrote:Apparently you don't know how NOI members speak to one anothers. Dude was Farrakhan with a gun.
exactly

awesome character

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Moolah wrote:Just a really weak character imho, I'm surprised to see a few people defending him.
This. As "real" as pretty much EVERY other character on The Wire played, Muzone stuck out like a sore thumb. Just seemed contrived as hell.

The presence of "Farrakhan with a gun" (which is a pretty accurate synopsis in my opinion) just seemed forced in The Wire's very gritty and "real" environment.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

ThaJim2 wrote:
Combo7 wrote:I'd like to see a tournament of only bit players: Slim Charles, Beadie Russell, Horseface, Sydnor, Bernard's girlfriend, etc.
Slim Charles would win this one going away. Slim Charles easily the best of the 3rd stringers.

Valchek's got to be up there too. There's a scene at the end of season two where he looks at the photo of the stolen police van (sent from the UK, lol), calls Frank a cocksucker and then kind of smiles and says "rest in peace" in Polish; thought it was one of the more poignant moments among the third-string characters.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

The Afronaut wrote:
Moolah wrote:Just a really weak character imho, I'm surprised to see a few people defending him.
This. As "real" as pretty much EVERY other character on The Wire played, Muzone stuck out like a sore thumb. Just seemed contrived as hell.

The presence of "Farrakhan with a gun" (which is a pretty accurate synopsis in my opinion) just seemed forced in The Wire's very gritty and "real" environment.
Really? I never thought of Mouzone like that. I thought his character added some additional flavor to the show. Not really that fond of him or anything, I just couldn't place the hate to be honest.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Moolah wrote:<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
1:16-1:55 tells the tale.

Comic book shit.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Combo7 wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

Valchek's got to be up there too. There's a scene at the end of season two where he looks at the photo of the stolen police van (sent from the UK, lol), calls Frank a cocksucker and then kind of smiles and says "rest in peace" in Polish; thought it was one of the more poignant moments among the third-string characters.
Love to hate Valchek. He was one of the few non-redeemable "bad guys" on the show to me.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Disagree, thought he was a huge prick throughout the season but immediately liked him after that one line I mentioned above.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Moolah wrote:
Yohan wrote:Also don't understand where the Mouzone hate is coming from.
To me the acting from Brother is unbelievably corny. The robotic delivery of his lines and the non-subtle big word every now and then comes across as extremely forced. Just a really weak character imho, I'm surprised to see a few people defending him.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q5VxvF7DaCw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Being a bork must suck.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Combo7 wrote:Disagree, thought he was a huge prick throughout the season but immediately liked him after that one line I mentioned above.
I thought the actor's portrayal was great, enjoyed his scenes, etc but if I had to deal with someone of his ilk in real life Im sure I'd hate him.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Brother Mouzone is the fucking man. Can't believe what I'm reading.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

For the record I'm not saying Muzone wasnt a great character from an objective standpoint. He was badass no doubt.

My issue was that he did not fit believably into the world of the The Wire.

See also: Surviving a 3 story drop with only relatively minor leg injuries.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Combo7 wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:

That is a great scene one of the better small moments on the show. Was it season 3 when he had some great one liners about com-stat? And his promotion at the end was so apt of failing upwards in America.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Team Muzone

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

The Afronaut wrote:For the record I'm not saying Muzone wasnt a great character from an objective standpoint. He was badass no doubt.

My issue was that he did not fit believably into the world of the The Wire.

See also: Surviving a 3 story drop with only relatively minor leg injuries.

:cheers: I thought I was the only one that did not care for Muzone. He was the one cat that just never seemed to fit the world of the wire. It was almost comic book on how everyone was scared of him just by name.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

A) The character is based on a real person

B) Large-scale drug operations have access to protection/muscle unfathomable to John Q. Citizen. Read any book on an organization involving drugs and the muscle they use and invariably a character like Mouzone's pops up: outsider, independent, ruthless, fearless, and tasked with killing and protecting turf

C) Part of the reason he's so effective is the way he speaks, the way he dresses, and the general manner in which he comports himself

D) He would likely attract little to no attention from the police

E) The NOI, especially on the East Coast, has long been linked to various criminal organizations. A couple years back in Oakland the NOI chapters were all but dismantled when it was shown, on video and through witness testimony, that they were vandalizing local business and extorting them for protection.

F) If he is viewed by you as 'comical' I strongly suggest you watch the scene in which he directly confronts Avon Barksdale and Avon Baksdale is shook. He knows how committed the NOI (and the freelancers associated with them) are and he knows it will be his demise if he does not acquiesce to the demands of Mouzone.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

batman is based on a real bat
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:batman is based on a real bat
No one said the writers didn't indulge in their creative license, faggot.