True Detective (HBO)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: True Detective (HBO)

Post by drizzle »

def didn't notice that before, could be something but that would assume that the investigating detectives in 2012 know about Hart's daughter making that diorama and understand the significance of it... which seems like a stretch. unless both tableaux signify something else very specific that they would recognize
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i do not think the arc of hart's daughter is going to be insignificant. it might stay only a secondary plot point, but it's not like they threw in a scene of her getting gang banged just for a throwaway

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

ackbar wrote:i do not think the arc of hart's daughter is going to be insignificant. it might stay only a secondary plot point, but it's not like they threw in a scene of her getting gang banged just for a throwaway
the arc of hart's daughter is only supposed to represent the fact that time is a flat circle and the fact that both Hart and Cohle are supposed to relive the same events/problems over and over again.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

sure. that fits except for the word "only".. b/c the show is not over yet

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the arc of his daughter is def significant, it's just questionable if its directly related to the mystery of the murder cult or it's just another manifestation of the general decay that is permeating the characters lives as the story unfolds

Gregg Popabitch

ackbar wrote:sure. that fits except for the word "only".. b/c the show is not over yet
touche. I didn't mean to type the only.

I somewhat agree with Drizzle's last interpretation but not fully.

Also to somewhat support the theory of "time is a flat circle and that they are supposed to relive events over and over"

There are other callbacks in this episode as well where the characters are reliving past occurrences in previous episodes but I have not found screenshots for them.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Gregg Popabitch

Dude doesn't know how to spell trite.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Someone def molested Hart's daughter. The sex drawings, the dolls on the floor. The father in law perhaps? Remember he said kids are crazy these days wearing black with make up etc? Then you flash forward and you see the daughter dressed like that.

I def think the daughter's story line will tie in to this at the end.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I hope not, but I think Hart is heavily involved. He is the one who killed shot the guy in the head, he knew about the guy at the jail and could of called in, all the stuff with his daughter, and when he gets angry he has shown that he views woman as objects he owns. I think he realizes that Chole might be onto him when he sees the picture of him at the crime scene so he starts to act like maybe there is something weird going on with Chole.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

pradadon wrote:SThe father in law perhaps? Remember he said kids are crazy these days wearing black with make up etc? Then you flash forward and you see the daughter dressed like that.

This again seems more like a sign of repetition and a way to show Hart's hypocrisy more than an actual clue to anything. At the time Hart dismisses this father in law as old and out of touch, but then later when his own daughter grows up to be a mallgoth slut he's baffled by it because he can't imagine that a woman who is nominally under his control can go that way. It's the same disgusted stupefaction he feels when Boobs McGee confronts him and later blows up his marriage, and stems from the same mindset that drove him to fake-moralize at the bunny ranch. Hart likes to think he's in control and sees the big picture, but over and over we see that he's far from it.

Otherwise, what's the direct sinister connection between Grandpa complaining about 'kids these days' and then 7 years later his grandkids grow up exactly like the kids do these days? Teens rebel to freak out their parents to get attention or assert independence, that's fairly common. Hart admits himself to not being a very attentive father, she could be acting out.

Then again, she could be acting out because grandpa's church group has been laying pipe on her for years too, completely regardless of any stray comments he makes about kids wearing black 7 years prior, so who knows.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

In conclusion, Dids is the Yellow King. Carcosa is the name of his cat. The spiral is just a symbol for a funnel cake.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

without getting into too much hypothesizing, can we all agree that the only way that cohle is the/one of the killer(s) is if the flashback scenes are all bogus and they flip everything on its head over the next three episodes? I ask because one or two people told me they think he "could" be the/a killer and I told them they were buggin. How can one explain Cohle arriving at the school at the end of the episode to find the tree pieces if he is involved? I sure hope the show wouldn't pull some cheap cop-out shit like that....

and in terms of minimal hypothesizing I think Cohle is gonna open up a can of worms regarding Tuttle and/or the "anti-christian task force" being involved or having a cult set up where there is essentially a rotation and crop of killers and brainwashers but Cohle will be ousted as an easy target/paranoid based on his outspoken anti-religious views. I think the variable is whether the fall out between Marty and Cohle will be manufactured (to protect Marty and his family as mentioned above) or legit.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

drizzle wrote:
Hart admits himself to not being a very attentive father, she could be acting out.
If I'm not mistaken, when he says this, he also says something to the effect of "it was right under my nose the whole time".

The rebelling with the clothes and makeup can be chalked up to teen angst, but the drawings when she was a child, and the dolls on the floor, and then later getting double teamed by the two guys in the car all point to her being a victim of psychological and sexual abuse. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I can't wait. Completely obsessed.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

samdoom wrote:without getting into too much hypothesizing, can we all agree that the only way that cohle is the/one of the killer(s) is if the flashback scenes are all bogus and they flip everything on its head over the next three episodes? I ask because one or two people told me they think he "could" be the/a killer and I told them they were buggin. How can one explain Cohle arriving at the school at the end of the episode to find the tree pieces if he is involved? I sure hope the show wouldn't pull some cheap cop-out shit like that....

and in terms of minimal hypothesizing I think Cohle is gonna open up a can of worms regarding Tuttle and/or the "anti-christian task force" being involved or having a cult set up where there is essentially a rotation and crop of killers and brainwashers but Cohle will be ousted as an easy target/paranoid based on his outspoken anti-religious views. I think the variable is whether the fall out between Marty and Cohle will be manufactured (to protect Marty and his family as mentioned above) or legit.

I agree, there is no way after the end of last episode that Rust is the killer. That final scene in the school to me at this point makes that an impossibility. Unless they flip the whole script like you said.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Image

I'm not the only person to notice this, right?

Or am I reaching?
What could be interpreted as stick figures, the ones Rust is checking out in the school at the end of the episode, are arranged in a similar fashion.

In an earlier episode someone references a child sex ring, that and the task force being so eager to take the case away from the fellas, could be leading up to an occult old boys' club fulla diddlers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection to Marty's daughter in that way.
Last edited by Smitty on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

pradadon wrote:I agree, there is no way after the end of last episode that Rust is the killer. That final scene in the school to me at this point makes that an impossibility. Unless they flip the whole script like you said.
Agreed, making Rust one of the killers would be a total hack move, and the show's been too smart so far to go that way. Hopefully.

Gregg Popabitch

Smitty wrote:

Or am I reaching?
What could be interpreted as stick figures, the ones Rust is checking out in the school at the end of the episode, are arranged in a similar fashion.

In an earlier episode someone references a child sex ring, that and the task force being so eager to take the case away from the fellas, could be leading up to an occult old boys' club fulla diddlers. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection to Marty's daughter in that way.
and on cue, look at what I find on the internets:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

nerds reachin'

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:nerds reachin'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Philaflava wrote:nerds reachin'

it would be cool if it all just connected like that but this is getting to the levels of 'what does the color of walt's shirt mean relative to the color of baby holly's onesy in the last season'.

the mardi gras > gangbang correlation might be legit but the beer cans and devil catchers feel like a huge reach. they don't even make sense as clues; what do they really say or accomplish from a narrative standpoint?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

samdoom wrote:and in terms of minimal hypothesizing I think Cohle is gonna open up a can of worms regarding Tuttle and/or the "anti-christian task force" being involved or having a cult set up where there is essentially a rotation and crop of killers and brainwashers but Cohle will be ousted as an easy target/paranoid based on his outspoken anti-religious views. I think the variable is whether the fall out between Marty and Cohle will be manufactured (to protect Marty and his family as mentioned above) or legit.
This is my exact thoughts as well. Initially when I thought it was just one killer in the fist ep or two I thought it was just going to be Tuttle but now that it appears that many more people are involved this just makes sense. Also creating the "Anti-Christian" task force as a cover and misdirection to all the weird shit that's obviously at play makes sense.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

thread really ruining the fun

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

As long as Lester Freamon remains good, IDGAF who is the killer as long as I'm surprised by who it is.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Meta Rust Cohle wrote: For how many shows must the manchild fanboy head down the mythology k-hole before realizing that every time he is only digging deeper into his ultimate disappointment?

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

AWAE wrote:thread really ruining the fun
I think it's increasing it, ackchurally. Ya'll some insightful mufuckas. It's stuff like this that makes me wanna go back and watch episodes again. Some of these things people are pointing out may not directly correlate with the narrative, but it could definitely be pointing to some interesting subtext that might further develop. Found this interesting as well - http://io9.com/the-one-literary-referen ... 1523076497

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the thing is: scenes in tv shows & movies are scenes in tv shows & movies. chances are a lot of things are there intentionally. and even if they're not, it should never take away from what you "get" out of something. when you look at a painting do you always think "oh wow that guy can paint a really neat circle"? the only problem is if you always expect things to directly relate to plot points

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

siLLy KiD wrote:
AWAE wrote:thread really ruining the fun
I think it's increasing it, ackchurally. Ya'll some insightful mufuckas. It's stuff like this that makes me wanna go back and watch episodes again.
:cheers:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Or am I reaching?

and on cue, look at what I find on the internets:

even if it is reachin', its pretty interesting still. i didn't notice that shit myself.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner