The Dark Knight Rises - July 20, 2012

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Is all that in Earth 1 or Earth 2?

:megaman:

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I've never watched it once in its entirety. I either fall asleep, or turn it off. I have seen it though, after like 5 attempts.
Mindbender Futurama wrote:When Aaron Eckhart was in the hospital bed screaming like a retarded banshee, I almost wanted to walk out the theater.
Did you fall asleep in the theatre before or after the screaming banshee scene?

:killacam:

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Double.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:~they fucked with the origin story... AGAIN. :wtf:
I actually hated that they made Jack Napier his parents killer in the Burton films. It seemed like more of an affront to the origin story than Nolan's take.
Reggie wrote:I just read the whole Gotham Central comic book series
Loved that series. Brubaker kills it.
Batman R.I.P.
Not the hugest fan of that arc. I feel like many of the major Batman story arc over the mid 2000s up to maybe War Games were way more interesting than R.I.P.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:~they fucked with the origin story... AGAIN. :wtf:

I actually hated that they made Jack Napier his parents killer in the Burton films. It seemed like more of an affront to the origin story than Nolan's take.
I agree completely. As a fan of the comics, it always bothered me. However, it makes perfect sense if you consider the movie by itself. But if you do that, the idea of Batman becomes even more ridiculous.
The Afronaut wrote:
Batman R.I.P.
Not the hugest fan of that arc. I feel like many of the major Batman story arc over the mid 2000s up to maybe War Games were way more interesting than R.I.P.
Like almost everything Grant Morrison writes, it starts out compelling and then runs completely off the rails by the time it wraps up. Much of what I enjoyed about the arc were the nods to previous incarnations of Batman, which does not make for great storytelling. Still, I enjoyed it for the fanboy that I am.

War Games is probably the best story arc, all things considered. More recently, I've recommended the four trade editions that compile the arc to people who are interested in Batmania.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lil quick aside while we're talking morrison, is there by any chance 1 book that compiles teh entire run of the invisibles?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

So what has been the best batman arc of the 2000s?

hush?

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

drizzle wrote:lil quick aside while we're talking morrison, is there by any chance 1 book that compiles teh entire run of the invisibles?
Not that I know of.
Gregg Popabitch wrote:So what has been the best batman arc of the 2000s?

hush?
If you include Heart of Hush by Paul Dini, then it's a great contender.

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote:lil quick aside while we're talking morrison, is there by any chance 1 book that compiles teh entire run of the invisibles?

I don't think so. I've been meaning to read this wacko shit but still haven't gotten around to it. If there's no 1 volume edition, your best bet is to bundle them on Amazon... or if you just want to read them, don't care about owning them, you could always have your local library order them for you.

...Yes, I said library.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

nah i read them all, most of them anyway, a while ago in a borders over the course of many lunch hours. i remember them very fondly, so figured if there is one collection i'm all over it

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Reggie wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:So what has been the best batman arc of the 2000s?

hush?
If you include Heart of Hush by Paul Dini, then it's a great contender.
I thought the Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive story arc was pretty good too.

David Cain is a damn good villain.

Gregg Popabitch

good call on the murderer fugitive arc.

i completely forgot that that was this decade.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni9304048/

[quote]Maybe for his next caper, Batman will face off against Troy Polamalu's hair... Filmmaker Christopher Nolan today announced that he plans to shoot his highly anticipated trilogy-capper, The Dark Knight Rises, in Pittsburgh. So when do cameras roll? The production gets going this summer. "Pittsburgh is a beautiful city," Nolan said in a statement. "We have been able to find everything we were looking for here, and I am excited to spend the summer in Pittsburgh with our final installment of Batman." Cameras will roll for four to six weeks in the city as Warner Bros. and producers take advantage of Pennsylvania's generous tax credits. Aside from location

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Oh shit originally only parts were supposed to be filmed here. Mad movies are being filmed in Pittsburgh. It is really cheap for the studios to film movies here than other locations. Maybe I will be an extra.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

'Social Network' Actor Lands Role in 'Dark Knight Rises' (Exclusive)
Josh Pence will have a key part in a flashback sequence in Christopher Nolan's new Batman film.
6:06 PM 4/8/2011 by Borys Kit

Josh Pence, who played opposite Armie Hammer as Tyler Winklevoss in The Social Network (where Hammer's face was superimposed on his), has been cast as a young Ra's Al Ghul in Dark Knight Rises, Christopher Nolan's new Batman movie.

The movie's casting has been ultra-secret, although Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman are returning to lead a caped crusading cast, which includes Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard.

The story line has also been kept locked up in the Batcave but Pence's casting throws more than a few crumbs to follow. Ra's Al Ghul was played by Liam Neeson in Batman Begins, thus paving the way for a possible return of the supposedly dead character. Also, while the studio never confirmed Cotillard's character, it has been rumored to be that of Thalia Al Ghul, the daughter of Batman's mentor-turned-enemy.

Sources say Pence will appear in scenes that take place 30 years prior to the present story.

Pence, repped by Innovative Artists and Industry Entertainment, recently wrapped Battleship, Universal's big-budget action movie based on the board game, and indie political thriller The Algerian.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Daniel Sunjata, 2 more for 'Dark Knight'
Klattenhoff, Gorman lining up for small roles
By Jeff Sneider

"Rescue Me" star Daniel Sunjata is in early talks for a supporting role in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises."

Sunjata will play a courageous special forces operative in the Warner Bros. sequel, which will lens in Pittsburgh this summer.

Additionally, Diego Klattenhoff has been offered the part of a rookie cop who is looking to make a difference, while character actor Burn Gorman ("Layer Cake") is also being eyed for a supporting role in the superhero pic.

Christian Bale is returning to defend Gotham from newly-cast villains Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Other cast members include Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Juno Temple and Josh Pence, who was recently cast as a young Ra's Al Ghul, the character Liam Neeson played in "Batman Begins."

Nolan, who penned the screenplay with his brother Jonathan, will produce with his longtime producing partner Emma Thomas, as well as Charles Roven.

Warner Bros. will release "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20, 2012.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

awesome
A few weeks ago the city of Pittsburgh was announced as the site of several weeks of filming on Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises". This surprised quite a few considering various other places were thought to be more likely shooting locales for the final installment of the Batman trilogy.

While the tax breaks and the locale itself were a draw, The Pittsburgh Examiner seems to have uncovered the major reason - a building, specifically a sports stadium.

The Civic Arena, which cinematically is best known for being the setting of the Jean Claude Van Damme action flick "Sudden Death", is scheduled for demolition shortly to make way for new construction.

Now, much like a candy factory demolition was used to stand in for a Joker-exploded hospital in "The Dark Knight", it appears the destruction of the Civic Arena will form part of a key sequence in "The Dark Knight Rises".

The article is worth reading as there's all sorts of political and tax credit deals seem to have gone on behind-the-scenes in order to allow this to happen.

Meanwhile, actor Nestor Carbonell (TV's "Lost") is in negotiations to reprise his "The Dark Knight" role as the Mayor of Gotham City reports Variety.

Carbonell joins fellow returning franchise alumni Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman along with first timers Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Juno Temple, Josh Pence, Daniel Sunjata, Diego Klattenhoff and Burn Gorman.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: that's nuts
moved by duck muscles

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Blowing up a stadium is de!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Man that is sooo awesome. Can't wait to see how they're going to tie it into the movie.
Might even make the trek across the state to watch, watching them implode the vet was the coolest shit ever

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:owens:
Film Office Slams ג€˜Batmanג€™, Civic Arena Implosion Rumors
April 15, 2011 9:12 PM

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ג€” The action-packed ג€œBatmanג€ trilogy is scheduled to shoot part of its last movie, ג€œThe Dark Knight Risesג€ in Pittsburgh this July and August.

Local film critic Fiore Mastracci thinks he knows why.

ג€œWhat I had heard through my sources was that the Civic Arena was going to be used in the upcoming ג€˜Batmanג€™ movie,ג€ he said. ג€œIt was going to be imploded, but naturally on the screen it was going to look like an explosion and it was going to be a key scene in the movie.ג€

Mastrucciג€™s blog reports that the Civic Arena would be blown up as part of a deal between the filmג€™s director, Pittsburgh Film Office, Sports and Exhibition Authority and the governor. That brought heated denials.

ג€œItג€™s a totally a bogus story,ג€ Dawn Keezer, head of the film office, said. According to her, no one has ever talked about blowing up the arena.

ג€œUnfortunately, some people really like to deal with rumors and innuendos and make up really great stories,ג€ she added. ג€œMaybe they should start writing scripts for Hollywood.ג€

Senator Wayne Fontana, chair of the SEA, backs up Keezer.

ג€œThereג€™s been no conversation about ג€˜Batmanג€™ having anything to do with the Civic Arena,ג€ he said.

Part of the problem with the implosion rumor is that the Civic Arena may not be a good candidate for imploding. Much of the arena is underground and it just might be easier and cheaper to take it down piece by piece.

But even Fontana says imploding the arena in ג€˜Batmanג€™ strikes a chord.

ג€œCertainly it would be cool,ג€ he said. ג€œThereג€™s no question about it.ג€

ג€œBut so far itג€™s not happening. Thereג€™s been no conversation, and quite frankly I doubt if it will,ג€ he added.
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/04/ ... on-rumors/

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

look evil as shit but where's the luchador mask

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Pretty cool how that all came about:

Fans Crack Twitter Code for Sneak Peek at New Batman Film
Hardcore fans of Warner Bros.ג€™s Batman trilogy undertook code cracking of epic proportions Friday after the site for the next film, The Dark Knight Rises, hit the web.
When you first visit the site for the film ג€” now in production for a July 20, 2012 release ג€” youג€™ll land upon a black screen accompanied by a track featuring eerie chanting. Fans were originally baffled by the site, but one intrepid SuperHeroHype Forums member named ג€œRiskproductionג€ used an audio program to discover that the spectrum in the audio spells out ג€œ#thefirerises.ג€

That hashtag led the fan to the Twitter account @TheFireRises, which features several tweets linking to another site, featuring an image of actor Tom Hardy as super villain Bane.
Itג€™s not a run-of-the-mill snap; itג€™s composed of Twitter or Facebook profile photos of folks who chose to share the site on those social networks by clicking ג€œAdd Meג€ in the upper-left-hand corner.

LRD VDR

Post by LRD VDR »

To anyone who really cares about a movie not following a comics story line 1) Why would you want to go to a movie and know exactly whats going to happen? 2)You read way too many comic books.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Lazarus Pit?

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Huh, intersting. No way they abandon the "Nolan universe" and bring something like that into it...but it'd be cool if
Batman uses it after Bane breaks his back.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

LRD VDR wrote:To anyone who really cares about a movie not following a comics story line 1) Why would you want to go to a movie and know exactly whats going to happen? 2)You read way too many comic books.
1) If you read and enjoyed book and they changed shit all around unnecessarily for the movie version would you be pleased?

2) :lol:

Panama

Post by Panama »

LRD VDR wrote:To anyone who really cares about a movie not following a comics story line 1) Why would you want to go to a movie and know exactly whats going to happen? 2)You read way too many comic books.
Nonsense on both counts

Gregg Popabitch

Brougham33 wrote:Huh, intersting. No way they abandon the "Nolan universe" and bring something like that into it...but it'd be cool if
Batman uses it after Bane breaks his back.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys and your "Nolan universe" crap.