The Wire Season 5 - On Demand Viewers Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Nl5H wrote:that shit wasn't planned at all... little man just grabbed a gun from his corner and popped omar...simple as that.
Word.

Dude saw Omar walking through the alley, recognized it was the man who held Michael up the other day, and POP.

*These last two episodes have been much better than the two that preceeded it. Although it was a little over-the-top and a bit too self referential, the FBI breakdown of the serial killer and McNulty's reaction was :rofl: . Next episode it looks like shit's really gonna pop off.

*Was watching the 4th season last week. The 5th season isn't even on the same level. Sorry Magneto...it's just the truth. Still a good season though and I'm glad it's picking up.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Icesickle wrote:
Nl5H wrote:that shit wasn't planned at all... little man just grabbed a gun from his corner and popped omar...simple as that.
Word.

Dude saw Omar walking through the alley, recognized it was the man who held Michael up the other day, and POP.

*These last two episodes have been much better than the two that preceeded it. Although it was a little over-the-top and a bit too self referential, the FBI breakdown of the serial killer and McNulty's reaction was :rofl: . Next episode it looks like shit's really gonna pop off.

*Was watching the 4th season last week. The 5th season isn't even on the same level. Sorry Magneto...it's just the truth. Still a good season though and I'm glad it's picking up.
No show in TV history will ever see season 4 or season 3 of the Wire. I think Season 5 was behind 3,4, and 1. Slightly ahead of 2.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Magneto wrote:
Nl5H wrote:
Magneto wrote:Omar went out the right way. Having him be elusive from Chris and Snoop was almost like a sign of respect, that Omar couldn't be got by the professional shooters. It had to be done by an unexpected assailant.
my friend, who never watches the shows, saw that the body tags at the end were switched between omar and a white jon doe, did anyone notice that?
Yep. The end was Omar's body tag had the wrong name, and the dead white guy had Omar's name, and the guy switched it back to the right bodies. I saw it as Simon's way of showing, even though Omar was a big character to us for all these years, he's just another dead body to most everyone else in Baltimore".

And y'all can see McNulty...
I might have missed some detail, but I though the mortician recognized him by face and then switched the tags, which gives me a bit of different reading on what happens here. The newspaper not running the story of his death shows how little he really meant in the larger scope of things, but the fact that the mortician recognized him is his tribute of sorts. In his environment he was basically death personified, so in the end its fitting that he gets the last bit of respect the morgue.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Do tags indicate skin color?

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

drizzle wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Nl5H wrote:
Magneto wrote:Omar went out the right way. Having him be elusive from Chris and Snoop was almost like a sign of respect, that Omar couldn't be got by the professional shooters. It had to be done by an unexpected assailant.
my friend, who never watches the shows, saw that the body tags at the end were switched between omar and a white jon doe, did anyone notice that?
Yep. The end was Omar's body tag had the wrong name, and the dead white guy had Omar's name, and the guy switched it back to the right bodies. I saw it as Simon's way of showing, even though Omar was a big character to us for all these years, he's just another dead body to most everyone else in Baltimore".

And y'all can see McNulty...
I might have missed some detail, but I though the mortician recognized him by face and then switched the tags, which gives me a bit of different reading on what happens here. The newspaper not running the story of his death shows how little he really meant in the larger scope of things, but the fact that the mortician recognized him is his tribute of sorts. In his environment he was basically death personified, so in the end its fitting that he gets the last bit of respect the morgue.
He switched it because he noticed the description of death on the tags. One was a head shot, the other was a chest wound. He has no idea who Omar was. It always goes back to the lack of attention to detail in these fields from the police department, to the crime lab, and now here.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Magneto wrote: No show in TV history will ever see season 4 or season 3 of the Wire. I think Season 5 was behind 3,4, and 1. Slightly ahead of 2.
:larry: :omgracist:

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Magneto wrote: He switched it because he noticed the description of death on the tags. One was a head shot, the other was a chest wound. He has no idea who Omar was. It always goes back to the lack of attention to detail in these fields from the police department, to the crime lab, and now here.
Yeah. It said "gunshot" and that white dude had surgical stitches that ran up his chest, which indicated he died of a heart attack or something else like that.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Icesickle wrote:
Magneto wrote: No show in TV history will ever see season 4 or season 3 of the Wire. I think Season 5 was behind 3,4, and 1. Slightly ahead of 2.
:larry: :omgracist:
Season 2 was great, but I just didn't like it that much (In comparison to the other seasons), and it has nothing to do with race. Shit, they basically show NO street shit this season. In fact, that's what's kinda annoying. Season 1 was basically 80 percent the streets, so was season 4. Now it's not as featured, when it should be. It's basically more politics, police department and newspaper, then it is the street shit. Sometimes I think Simon doesn't know his audience.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Magneto wrote: Season 2 was great, but I just didn't like it that much, and it has nothing to do with race. Shit, they basically show NO street shit this season. In fact, that's what's kinda annoying. Season 1 was basically 80 percent the streets, so was season 4. Now it's not as balanced. It's basically more politics, police department and newspaper, then it is the street shit. Sometimes I think Simon doesn't know his audience.
A lot of police officers, political junkies, and media types watch The Wire man. Half of the newsroom I work in is obsessed with it. That's because has just as many original revelations about government and the media as it does about the street. For instance, there has never been a show that illustrated all the behind the scenes shit that goes down in politics as well as The Wire.

I know what you're trying to say, but I think you're underestimating the show's broad appeal. I also really don't think Simon wants to limit himself to appealing just to the streets simply because the streets don't have any real political power and Simon, ideally, wants his show to influence people in power who can change the systemic problems (in the gov't, police, etc.).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Icesickle wrote:
Magneto wrote: He switched it because he noticed the description of death on the tags. One was a head shot, the other was a chest wound. He has no idea who Omar was. It always goes back to the lack of attention to detail in these fields from the police department, to the crime lab, and now here.
Yeah. It said "gunshot" and that white dude had surgical stitches that ran up his chest, which indicated he died of a heart attack or something else like that.
didn't see that. i like my way better

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

What an improvement over ep. 7 - DAMN.

Marlo owes that kid $250K.

I'm looking forward to Bunk squaring off with Chris. Snoop's gettin' blasted next-week.

Clay Davis is shook.

Templeton is a little bitch and Clark Johnson is the most underappreciated presence/talent in the history of television, directing or acting. From Homicide, to directing The Shield and now with The Wire. When he was defending his editorial decision and then exited the newsroom I was practically cheering ( :nofancy: ) .

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah more gus would be nice

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

Employee wrote:What an improvement over ep. 7 - DAMN.

I'm looking forward to Bunk squaring off with Chris. Snoop's gettin' blasted next-week.

Clay Davis is shook.

Templeton is a little bitch and Clark Johnson is the most underappreciated presence/talent in the history of television, directing or acting. From Homicide, to directing The Shield and now with The Wire. When he was defending his editorial decision and then exited the newsroom I was practically cheering ( :nofancy: ) .

no, kid gets 250K if he shows Marlo a head.

kid doesn't know the bounty, or else he'd try to cut the head off right there.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Nl5H wrote:

Clay Davis is shook.

It was a joke.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Gus is probably my favorite character this season.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

drizzle wrote:
Icesickle wrote:
didn't see that. i like my way better
There was also AA after Omars name on the tag which i figure indicates race.

I hoped to hell that if Omar died it would be exactly like this.

mud

Post by mud »

Shitty episode.
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

Employee wrote:
Nl5H wrote:

Clay Davis is shook.

It was a joke.
my bad... no joking around when it comes to The Wire, :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mud wrote:Shitty episode.
:naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

you foreigner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

mud wrote:Shitty episode.
:bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: / :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk:

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... eldwb0.jpg

The blocks Marlo controls. ^^^^^^. This nigga owns all of B-More.

Lance Goodthrust

Post by Lance Goodthrust »

Magneto wrote: Sometimes I think Simon doesn't know his audience.
See, I would say that he refuses to take the easy way out and just please people. We would all love to see Omar triumph or to see Stringer Bell grow old and become a kingpin, but thats not what stick up boys and drug dealers do. Most of them die young. Simon knows this and is willing to piss off his audience to stay true to the story. Its commendable.

RIP Omar Little. He went out the exact way he should of. BTW, no way Kenard was sent to do that. He's just the most ruthless kid in the show and stepped up when he got a chance. Did you notice he didn't scatter with the rest of the kids when Omar walked by and didn't blink when Omar got the drop on Michael. I think he is the only street character in the history of the show who truly wasn't afraid of Omar in any way.

Yeah, the FBI profile gimmick was a little heavy handed, but I still loved it.

Really enjoyed Gus telling off his boss. All in all the best episode of the season.

daedal

Post by daedal »

Lance Goodthrust wrote:RIP Omar Little. He went out the exact way he should of. BTW, no way Kenard was sent to do that. He's just the most ruthless kid in the show and stepped up when he got a chance. Did you notice he didn't scatter with the rest of the kids when Omar walked by and didn't blink when Omar got the drop on Michael. I think he is the only street character in the history of the show who truly wasn't afraid of Omar in any way.
It also was a great way to show while the great may fall, there is someone young that will take their place. Avon fell, Stringer fell, and eventually Marlo will fall, as they all do, so Kenard will be a big player when he gets older, and the cycle continues.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Kenard is gonna be a serial killer. You see that kid was getting ready to set a cat on fire. lol.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

Does anyone remember the interview/preview where it was said that only one character will be in a better place than when they started the season?

Bubs.

Everyone else fucked.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Do you all think McNulty gets caught? I hope not, but have a feeling its inevitable.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

I dont know man....I have a feeling something much worse than just getting caught is gonna happen to McNulty

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Andvil wrote:I dont know man....I have a feeling something much worse than just getting caught is gonna happen to McNulty
Yeah I said it earlier I think he does himself in.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Philaflava wrote:
Andvil wrote:I dont know man....I have a feeling something much worse than just getting caught is gonna happen to McNulty
Yeah I said it earlier I think he does himself in.
i can especially see this happening if greggs rats out everyone else.

i would like to see doukie end up in a better place.

JoeOne

Post by JoeOne »

am i really the only one who finds the parallels between Omar and Bunk disturbing? i mean, Omar broke his code, then gets killed the next episode. Now Bunk breaks his, even in the very scene after Omar gets shot, that gotta mean something, right?
All things considered this episode and this season in general reminds me a lot of "no country for old men", and Bunk is pretty much the only one still doing good and honest police work, so from that point of view his time is over.

Besides, i dont see McNulty as the type of person who would kill themselves. Sure, there was the scene with Beadie and the one with Kima where he tells her how Bunk once told him "he destroys everyone around him" that might make him seem depressive, but in the end, Jimmy