What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

vinylfiend

Post by vinylfiend »

I just didn't like the ending of REC, I was expecting more than that last scene. Im hoping that Quarantine is almost as good as REC, hopefully a bit longer too.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Apart from English speaking actors, Quarantine looks virtually identical. The scenes in the latest trailer look shot for shot the same. It even looks like the same bloody sets. Besides which, Quarantine is already in my bad books. A remake of a movie that was only made last year is kind of taking the piss.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Watched Gangs Of New York again. I enjoy it alot more now than before although I'm still not happy with the last third of that flick.

Never noticed that dude who played D'Angelo Barksdale was in it until now.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

was looking for this dvd and found it some days ago, it's great!

Dionysus is not really a film as such, but a "from the hip" documentary "capture" of the Performance Group's legendary 1969 staging of Euripides' THE BACCHAE. ...

...Dionysus was created through a rehearsal process that was part democracy, part anarchy, part primal scream therapy. The final result was more a ritualized confrontation than conventional play, which culminated in a virtual orgy of audience participation. Nudity, profanity and huge amounts of stage blood were used to tremendous effect. Brian DePalma discovered the production and brought two NYU film maker friends of his into a special performance where multiple 16mm cameras were used to archive the iconoclastic proceedings in B&W. The final cut is an exercise in the "split screen" techniques which would eventually become DePalma's cinematic trademark.

... I highly recommend the film Dionysus, if not for its filmic brilliance, then at least for its documentation of one of the true theatrical marvels of the late 1960's....

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Ninja Cheeleaders - 3/10 - Not only are these chicks ninjas and cheerleaders, they are also strippers. Chicks are hot, acting and action sequences are horrific. It had a chance to be really awesome, but they failed in execution. Trishelle from the real world Austin is in it. If you ever want to waste and hour and twenty minutes watch this movie.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

^^ there's been a few of these hot chicks/ninja/action efforts over the last few years, they all fail due to dismal lack of effort and resources. In every case it seems they're just happy with the concept and don't put anything more into it. It's a shame, because as 70s and 80s amply show, there's insane amounts of potential in this kind of thing.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Maniac Cop - Meh.

Kelly's Heroes - This is what I'm talking about. Don Rickles. Clint Eastwood. Telly Savalas. Uncle Leo from Seinfeld. Fuck yes.

Doomsday - Or, The Road Warrior With Boobs. Not bad. Good and nasty. Some great ultra violence in this. I rewound a couple parts.

Gaslight - Seen it before. Good psychological thriller.

To Hell And Back - I was so excited to see this. A 19 year old from Texas kills 240 Germans himself in WW2. AND STARS IN A MOVIE AS HIMSELF. It was a boring, paint-by-numbers war movie.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Yeah maniac cop is pretty meh, especially considering the reputation and the people involved. Cohen and Lusting and of course da gawd Campbell have all done so much better

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

I rented it because of Cohen's producing (I haven't seen enough of his stuff). What should I rent next?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You rent Q The Winged Serpent and witness one of the all time greatest b-movies.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Word is bond.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

cascarrabias wrote:I rented it because of Cohen's producing (I haven't seen enough of his stuff). What should I rent next?
Cohen actually wrote it too

My take on his work that I've seen

top 3:

- Bone - best movie about race relations in the 70s nobody knows about

- Q the Winged Serpent - dragon attacks new york but wait, it's not about the dragon at all. Oscar worthy performance by Michael Moriarty, no bullshit

- Black Ceasar - the definitive Fred Williamson role and an incredible script that lamented the circular nature of violence in the ghetto waaaaay before rap even knew that shit was possible. Top 5 blaxploitation ever easy.

the rest:

Hell Up In Harlem - a sequel made as a quick cash in on the popularity of Black Ceasar, with an establishing premise that completely negates and obliterates the whole point of the original. Tons of good action and all the other things that make blaxploitation awesome, but none of the depth and socio-political commentary of the predecessor.

It's Alive - great horror with a twist. If I was a bigger fan of the genre i'd probably rate it higher. Sometimes I confuse this with a Hannenlotter movie, which is actually a pretty big complement

God Told Me to - very odd and offbeat mix of horror, sci fi and detective story. Entertaining and enjoyable, but kinda fucks up in the end and tries to do too much.

The Stuff - a cool horror/satire of american consumerism. Nice turn again by the underrated Moriarty, plus good smaller parts by Garret Morris and Paul Sorvino. Unfortunately, despite some great ideas and good acting, the whole doesn't quite add up to its full potential.

Original Gangsters - a valiant attempt to bring some of the major names of blaxploitation together for a last hoorah and establish how much iller they were then the 90's offspring of gangsta rap. Anything with Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, Pam Grier, Ron O'neal, Richard Roundree, Wings Hauser, Robert Forester AND Dru Down in the same movie can't be that bad, but it doesn't quite come off. Everybody looks old and kinda tired, and there's a surprising amount of talking. If you really want to star over-intellectualizing, this is the 'missing link' between blaxploitation and rapsloitation. Still, despite many flaws it's pretty entertaining.

Cohen also wrote a bunch of stuff that you wouldn't expect, like Phone Booth and Captivity, but his scripts usually get butchered by producers and directors who just don't get what the fuck he's about. The only director that ever did his writing justice was Lustig.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Ashes of time redux - i've never been a fan of wong kar wai in any shape or form, but this blew me the fuck away and will be in my top 10 for the year fo sho.

Gomorrah - hard to describe, it's kinda like a very stripped down and low key version of the wire or city of god, set in a small town in italy torn by a 30-odd year long mafia war. If you have the patience for a challenging, deliberate take on a gangster movie that explores the subject by showing lives of ordinary people affected by it, def check it out

Iron Man - doesn't loose a single iota of awesomeness on repeat viewing, probably the best 'pure entertainment' movie of the year

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Zodiac: The Director's Cut

Highly entertaining flick. Mark Ruffalo was really fucking great in this. I personally think this is Fincher's best work since Fight Club. Probably my fave crime thriller in a long time.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

IRON MAN. woah! badass. only problem is they didnt use black sabbath song until the ending credits. product placement for AUDI was a bit extreme. damn i want an R8.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Ben Hur - What a massive turd.

Red Dawn - Fuck. Yes.

Baby Mama - Meh.

Run Fatboy, Run - What a piece of shit. A handful of moments but overall a predictable mess.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

You didn't even like the chariot race?

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Seen it before. Chariot race is the definition of epic. Rest is just bad.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Ben Hur is great except for the ending

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

A friend of mine and fellow film geek once told me that the chariot race scenes were actually directed by Sergio Leone. Don't know if any of that is true or not.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

Not true. It was some well known second unit director.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Oh well, my friend is usually full of shit anyway.

Evil Aliens - Jake West's British comedy horror that starts off decent and quickly falls apart. Some funny moments but it's all been done before. Film had potential but what're you gonna do?

This is the only great scene in the entire movie:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O6mCUoRYN3Y&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O6mCUoRYN3Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

None

Post by None »

The Good Humor Man - Ziggy and Hurly are great in this. Rest meh.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Spartan wrote:A friend of mine and fellow film geek once told me that the chariot race scenes were actually directed by Sergio Leone. Don't know if any of that is true or not.
sergio leone was an assistant director on Ben Hur though, not sure what he did on it though

Aldrich's Sodom and Gomorrah too according to imdb

pretty sure I have a book somewhere that talked about his work on Ben Hur (he pissed somebody off or got fired or something) but I just can't remember, details are too hazy

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Monkey Hustle

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

rude

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Baby Mama - I was right, this wasn't a complete waste of time. A dead ass chick-flick - absolutely, terrible cliche ridden script - without a doubt. Still, Fey and Pohler are good together, and there are a few other entertaining supporting turns (why was Steve Martin the exact same character as Kevin Nealon in grandma's boy?). Some pretty hilarious lines here and there too. There are obviously tons and tons and tons of other better movies that you should choose to watch over this, but as far as these kinds of things go I've been made to sit through a lot worse. With no expectations going in, this one gets a solid C+.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Boss Nigger - now here's a movie that actually lives up to the promising title for a change. Basically Blazing Saddles by way of Dolemite. Fred Williamson shoots crackers in the face for breathing, much hilarity ensues. VCI put together a surprisingly good budget dvd here: widescreen print, a few decent extras, some cool trailers for other blaxploitation movies (Black Shampoo needs to be copped asap).

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Bloodfeast 2: All U Can Eat
Fuad Ramses' grandson takes on the exotic catering mantle and dispatches some of the hottest failed actresses I've ever seen. HG Lewis proves how great he is decades on and shows he hasn't fallen off. Hilarious cameo by John Walters as a gay priest.

Frankenfish
Surprisingly entertaining gory horror despite the bad CGI. Reminds me alot of Tremors but set in a swamp. End titles have perhaps the worst rap song ever made for a movie.

cascarrabias

Post by cascarrabias »

The Adventures Of Robin Hood - Oh my gah. One of the corniest movies I have ever seen. That said, it was a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu8WQwTAYTk