Your Highness (Portman, McBride, Franco)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Wasn't planning on watching this, but was taken to a matinee today.

This is basically a medieval Kenny Powers movie. If you're okay with that, it's fucking awesome. Probably not the best movie to see with your significant other. Take Popabitch (or Reason), get high, and see it in crowded theater.

And our boy Armond liked it too. Figures.
http://www.nypress.com/article-22281-inner-geeks.html

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

still want to see it a lot.
i've liked everything else these guys have done

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

def gonna watch
who goes to movies sober?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I have a feeling this will be amusing but not great - I'm gonna wait for a download, not sure I will bother with the theater. I've been the CYE party pooper/naysayer for the last few days I guess.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cN9fZivSuYk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cN9fZivSuYk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

this was cool though

None

Post by None »

Was really high and I really loved it.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

So stupidly funny. Definitely had fun seeing this. Being high helped but I'd have been good either way. My lady highly enjoyed this too. Though she was not high.

jazztomovethatass

Post by jazztomovethatass »

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

^^^after watching that .gif :jiz: several times, i'm off to the matinee to see this. :megaman:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

holy fuckin hilarious.

the scene in the end of the labyrinth almost made me fall outta my chair.

danny mcbride's accent and use of language is so on point that i found myself laughing at him just saying normal lines.

i definitely suggest checking this out.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Thought it was hilarious, being high as shit helped, but I think it works alone. McBride with so many quotables, the dude who played Leezar was pretty hilarious too. Portman looked good and I was pleasantly suprised by Zooey Deschanel and her cleavage. Left the theatre satisfied and wondering how they hell this movie got made.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

It was pretty funny. I know McBride was happy as fuck to make out with Portman.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Just watched this. HORRIBLE. It was sort of funny just because McBride is funny when he talks, but the movie is about the last thing I wish he made. Definitely one of the biggest let downs as far as a comedy that I can remember ever seeing. After about 35 minutes I was just hoping it would end.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

just burned this today, hope its good because period-flicks arent really my thing but i like the cast enough to bypass that hatred.

None

Post by None »

A Kid wrote:just burned this today, hope its good because period-flicks arent really my thing but i like the cast enough to bypass that hatred.
:lol:

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Does anyone have a DVD quality DL link for this? I downloaded this but it turned out to be an unwatchably shitty handheld cam version.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

None wrote:
A Kid wrote:just burned this today, hope its good because period-flicks arent really my thing but i like the cast enough to bypass that hatred.
:lol:
i got more of a laugh out of that emoticon than the entire movie, it really was a disaster. granted a few of McBride's lines made me chuckle but thats a given.

The movie itself was terrible, i'd say the best thing it has going for it(besides the obvious Portman thong shot) is Zooey Deschanel's tits.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

jump
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

chapter thrive wrote:holy fuckin hilarious.

the scene in the end of the labyrinth almost made me fall outta my chair.
movie was so good
moved by duck muscles

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i dug it and laughed a lot but it is pretty forgettable. i kinda wanna watch it again though cuz i saw it in a hotel room
Nets 2022

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

yeah count me in as a big fan of this.
way better than Pineapple Express

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

it's not better than pineapple express but it does get better and better with repeat viewings
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Depending where you stand on Mcbride, Black and cera, I found this movie comparable to "Year one" in that it was kinda wack when I first saw it but I liked it a lot more on cable. And they both have similar faults though...

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

tommy you really seem to think pineapple express lagged in parts...what didn't you like? it was definitely long but i don't remember it FEELING long. in my mind it was a crisp movie where

guy gets pot from his dealer
guy witnesses a murder
guy drops a roach of weed the murderers recognize
guy panics with dealer
guy and dealer navigate betrayal from dealer's friend
guy and dealer continually try to escape henchmen
guy and dealer get mad at each other and momentarily break up
guy and dealer are reunited and apologize after being caught and holed up together
guy and dealer escape okay

nevermind, bunz. i just answered my own question. i just realized that is how the movie went swimmingly in my head completely forgetting the high school bitch that seth rogen was trying to wife up. not that there weren't a couple laughs but for the most part if they removed that whole storyline (seth awkwardly trying to make dinner on time, stupid little fight convos between him and an 18 year old, the dad cursing him off trying to get deadpan laughs quite unsuccessfully) this movie would've been better. just make it a bromance through and through between rogen and franco. why aren't we all editing these movies before they come out? i also expected more laughs out of daryl from office and professor professorson from community aka the drama teacher from community. that duo didn't get as many laughs from me regarding the whole "i have a kid" " you changed" bits

:phila: discusses the edit bay
Last edited by Reason on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

fuck you guys for making me want to see year one now
Nets 2022

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Pineapple Express just lags too much for me. Still lots of great parts but a good comedy flows way better than that. Foot Fist Way is very similar in that regard.
Your Highness is just better paced and more geared toward my sense of humor.

All of these are way better than Year One though, which is funny but just in silly stupid kind of way. I was stoned out of my mind when I saw it, don't really remember any of it but both my friend and I were surprised how much better it was than we expected. Block is right though that you have to like Black and Cera.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Brevity has def never been GG's strong point, but the slower spots in Pineapple express were often endearing imo. The amber heard subplot was indeed pointless, but the stuff like rogen and franco goofing off in the woods was great. Reason is right, when the movie focuses on their bromance that shit soars.

And that's actually specifically why i rank it higher than Your Highness. Both movies have plenty of dumb laughs, but PE also wrangles something like a real camaraderie between Rogen, Franco and Mcbride. The friendship between them actually feels like a significant plot point, and the scene at the diner in the end serves as fitting satisfying closure for it. By contrast the relationship between Franco and McBride in Your Highness only exists to keep things moving from one lol to the next.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

drizzle wrote:Brevity has def never been GG's strong point, but the slower spots in Pineapple express were often endearing imo. The amber heard subplot was indeed pointless, but the stuff like rogen and franco goofing off in the woods was great. Reason is right, when the movie focuses on their bromance that shit soars.

And that's actually specifically why i rank it higher than Your Highness. Both movies have plenty of dumb laughs, but PE also wrangles something like a real camaraderie between Rogen, Franco and Mcbride. The friendship between them actually feels like a significant plot point, and the scene at the diner in the end serves as fitting satisfying closure for it. By contrast the relationship between Franco and McBride in Your Highness only exists to keep things moving from one lol to the next.
:cheers: totally agree.
Nets 2022

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Reason wrote:
drizzle wrote:Brevity has def never been GG's strong point, but the slower spots in Pineapple express were often endearing imo. The amber heard subplot was indeed pointless, but the stuff like rogen and franco goofing off in the woods was great. Reason is right, when the movie focuses on their bromance that shit soars.

:cheers: totally agree.
I love both movies, but I agree with Drizzle 100%

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
All of these are way better than Year One though, which is funny but just in silly stupid kind of way. I was stoned out of my mind when I saw it, don't really remember any of it but both my friend and I were surprised how much better it was than we expected. Block is right though that you have to like Black and Cera.
I'd agree with that but I don't think Your Highness is THAT much funnier. They're both stupid/funny fish out water kinda movies where a dude who's obviously not from that era is playing someone from that era. Black and Mcbride are just different versions of the same character. I feel like Your Highness gets it's biggest advantage from Justin Theroux. He's a funny motherfucker.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Jeez I really wasn't trying to get into a critical discussion here, just making a statement about which I enjoy more.
They really aren't even comparable other than they're from the same director, one's a bromance/stoner comedy and the other is a spoof of medieval/fantasy films more than anything.
But all one needs to do is compare PE to a legitimately great bromance like Superbad to see its flaws.
I honestly just had to check imdb to see if PE was over two hours long because I swore it was (its not, but it feels like it).