The Killing (New AMC Show)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Nah, think I'll check out The Killing though. Looks promising.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Dids

Post by Dids »

Most of this is good, but the politics stuff is so bad that it makes me worry they're eventually going to assfuck the whole thing.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^ agreed. That whole angle is completely unnecessary. As is the "Ginger detective needs to get to her new husband" angle. I get that it adds urgency but I don't give a fuck about that new born gerbil faced woman's love life.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Trademark wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Solid follow-up. Surprised how gripping the case is considering they really haven't given us much reason at all to give a shit about the girl who died.
Definitely has a bit of Twin Peaks to it all.

OFF TOPIC:
what is your sig from...hahahaha! :lol:
Seriously?

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-H0atsgZro?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-H0atsgZro?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Blockhead wrote:^ agreed. That whole angle is completely unnecessary. As is the "Ginger detective needs to get to her new husband" angle. I get that it adds urgency but I don't give a fuck about that new born gerbil faced woman's love life.
If there is a second season (and a new storyline was the obvious answer, dunce), she'll have to break it off with her Cylon fiance. Can't imagine that bullshit carrying over to another case.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

I could be wrong, but I thought this was just going to be a miniseries with no intentions of it making it to another season.

Dids

Post by Dids »

They have aspirations of a second season (with a new case obv), or at least that was strongly suggested by Alan Sepinwall on his podcast, to which everybody should probably listen.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

A second season for this is basically a lock already. 2nd best ratings for AMC after The Walking Dead.
I definitely had my suspicions about that teacher dude. Don't think he's actually the killer though, just a pervert. We're not quite 1/3 of the way through the season, no way they show their cards this early.

So Quaddafi cop is a junkie?

Dids

Post by Dids »

Politics stuff is getting even worse. They're down this path where either this all ties into shit with the Mayor and the chick and her Senator Dad and the hacky Mark Cuban guy and that's silly and overdone, or it's not and it's just pointless.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
He certainly has that vibe.

As for worthless plot lines, the boyfriend/son relationship angle ranks up there with "Which light blue jeans will detective sour puss face wear tomorrow!"

Speaking of which, seeing that actress in a romantic light is pretty much impossible as she looks like an amish dyke on zoloft.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Com Quaddaf cop is dirty (and possibly mooslem?)
Yeah, the teacher didn't buy her those shoes. He just likes white girls, no different than The Wiper.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Blockhead wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:
He certainly has that vibe.

As for worthless plot lines, the boyfriend/son relationship angle ranks up there with "Which light blue jeans will detective sour puss face wear tomorrow!"

Speaking of which, seeing that actress in a romantic light is pretty much impossible as she looks like an amish dyke on zoloft.
Yeah I cringed when emo skater fag said "so he gets the hot chick and I get you?" to CQ cop. She's a good actress but not even remotely fuckable. Right after that the kid asked her partner "do they know that you got the itch like me?"...thats what I was referring to with the junkie comment.

I think Rosie's dad has been one of the best characters so far, can't wait to find out more about his dark past.
Also, ginger cop's fiance hinted that she became obsessed with another missing girl in the past, motherfuckers all have skeletons in their closet.

The more I think about it, this show really is just a remake of Twin Peaks but without the surreal elements.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Right after that the kid asked her partner "do they know that you got the itch like me?"...thats what I was referring to with the junkie comment.
Word. I caught that. I was just adding that he looks like a junkie.

Also, Sterlings constant level of shookness (Even before rosie's body was discovered) leads me to believe she had something to do with all this (or at least knows A LOT more than she claims). Either that or she's the most rattled bitch alive.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Idk, I kinda just attributed her shookness to the fact that she feels like a whore for letting herself be videotaped getting tagteamed in the basement of her school

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I wonder why they cast those two Marilyn Manson faced motherfuckers, or do a lot of dudes look like that in Beattle?

neoteric

Post by neoteric »

a couple of my friends are in this. my boy Joel plays the lead detective, and Brandon Sexton III as Blockhead mentioned. he's givin off some creepy vibes indeed

Dids

Post by Dids »

The kids would fit well in Seattle- but the show isn't making any effort to get much about Seattle right.

There simply isn't a bus route in the city where a white girl would stick out that like really.

The Mayor's pet project makes no sense whatsoever.

It's not really bad, but it's just kinda annoying, because they could get it "right" without changing anything at all.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

So we're supposed to assume at this point that Stan's "dark past" has something to do with Campbell's wife dying?

Sadly, the title credits end up probably giving away more than they probably should.

Edit: also, don't make the mistake of going to IMDB, as the contracted episodes for each actor appears to gives away a lot as well.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Dids wrote:The kids would fit well in Seattle- but the show isn't making any effort to get much about Seattle right.

There simply isn't a bus route in the city where a white girl would stick out that like really.

The Mayor's pet project makes no sense whatsoever.

It's not really bad, but it's just kinda annoying, because they could get it "right" without changing anything at all.
Really? When i was in beattle about 10 years back i remember the fight the city's populace was having over the commons being built.
UBM CD COMING SOON

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I'm enjoying watching it, and it's definitely not as cringeworthy as "The Walking Dead" was at times (Cholo hospital). The political aspect is still pretty awful though.

I thought they had a huge plot hole at first when they had a video circulating in the school of the dead girl getting fucked on camera. Of course someone would have mentioned that to the cops if it was Rosie. Then you find out it's her friend playing dress up, and I was pretty relieved that the writing wasn't that bad.

Interested to see how it turns out, but I feel better about the show at this point than I did about "Rubicon" after three episodes.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

alpha

Post by alpha »

just caught up on this tonight. CQ cop is def an ex-junkie. how far removed, no idea.
-agree with the great acting by Stan.
-Bennett isnt the killer, just was fucking Rosie.
-There's gonna be a lot more misdirection(duh) before we get a better idea.

my 2 guesses(which will prob change after the next episode)
-Richmonds mistress for the fact that I think Richmond was banging Rosie as well(fuckin slut)
-Stan couldnt handle Rosie bangin a brother.

In all seriousness it will prob end up being a character we havent even seen yet.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

This is all Ginger Cops' dream. This is actually purgatory.

Smoke Monster is teh killer.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

PopeyeJones wrote:So we're supposed to assume at this point that Stan's "dark past" has something to do with Campbell's wife dying?

Sadly, the title credits end up probably giving away more than they probably should.
What makes you think there is a connection between Campbell's wife and Stan's past? I didn't catch that all.
Not seeing anything revealing about the title credits either actually.

So do you guys think that teacher homeboy is really Rosie's killer? Seems like its too simple...like the reveal wasn't shocking enough or something. And wouldn't the coroner have discovered that Rosie was covered in that chemical during the initial autopsy? thats some shoddy policework.

Dids

Post by Dids »

THERE IS NO FUCKING DEL TACO IN SEATTLE. Was google really that hard?

Show is really trending downward. Politics stuff is getting worse, cop stuff is heading that way and the parents, while still good- seem headed for shit too...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Dids, I feel like your taking it's depiction of seattle to heart. I know the feeling but I think this show is still very enjoyable. The political shit definitely is kinda worthless (as of now) but I'm still into the show overall.
The show needs more Comedy Qadaffi cop though

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
So do you guys think that teacher homeboy is really Rosie's killer? Seems like its too simple...like the reveal wasn't shocking enough or something. And wouldn't the coroner have discovered that Rosie was covered in that chemical during the initial autopsy? thats some shoddy policework.

Looks like the black guy is going to die one way or another, shocking.
Lol at Quadaff's celibacy (with adult women, at least).

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:So we're supposed to assume at this point that Stan's "dark past" has something to do with Campbell's wife dying?

What makes you think there is a connection between Campbell's wife and Stan's past? I didn't catch that all.
The connection between Campbell's wife and Stan's past is just speculation on my part. She died mysteriously, he was involved in organized crime of some sort but got out, it's just a way in which the stories might overlap more.

As for the credits, Block already said it on the first page, but Brent Sexton III has had amazingly little screen time and has been entirely incidental to the plot for being a semi-name actor and to be on the title credits. It's kind of a TV format cheat on my part, but he's where my money is. For the same reason that it's not Yo, Teach! (his involvement is happening too early) I'm guessing it's the guy lurking in background who hasn't had a reason to even be in the show yet. Just speculation, though.

In any case, I'm still really enjoying this shit. I'm trying not to get too wrapped up in the whodunnit mystery though, and just enjoying it for being a good show. I don't want to totally orient why I'm watching through the mystery and then be disappointed if they created a good show and faltered on that (post-Lost viewing stylez).

wheels

Post by wheels »

Dids wrote:THERE IS NO FUCKING DEL TACO IN SEATTLE. Was google really that hard?

Show is really trending downward. Politics stuff is getting worse, cop stuff is heading that way and the parents, while still good- seem headed for shit too...
I appreciate your knowledge of Seattle, but I'm sure these kind of errors are going largely unnoticed. It's not like they put an In & Out in manhattan.

I really liked the last episode but I'm a sucker for plodding plot lines and character development.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:

The connection between Campbell's wife and Stan's past is just speculation on my part. She died mysteriously, he was involved in organized crime of some sort but got out, it's just a way in which the stories might overlap more.

As for the credits, Block already said it on the first page, but Brent Sexton III has had amazingly little screen time and has been entirely incidental to the plot for being a semi-name actor and to be on the title credits. It's kind of a TV format cheat on my part, but he's where my money is. For the same reason that it's not Yo, Teach! (his involvement is happening too early) I'm guessing it's the guy lurking in background who hasn't had a reason to even be in the show yet. Just speculation, though.

In any case, I'm still really enjoying this shit. I'm trying not to get too wrapped up in the whodunnit mystery though, and just enjoying it for being a good show. I don't want to totally orient why I'm watching through the mystery and then be disappointed if they created a good show and faltered on that (post-Lost viewing stylez).
Ah see I didn't know who Brandon Sexton III was or even recognize him as familiar, his imdb portfolio isn't impressing me though. What is dude even known for?

I don't know about there ever being a connection between Campbell's dead wife and Stan's past, seems like that would be too much of a hokey connection (message!) for this show. But i do think both of those backstories are going to be very important down the road.
Word to post-Lost tv viewing and just sitting back and enjoying the ride. I don't really care who did it as long as it makes fucking sense.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

I think a lot of people remember him from Empire Records.

He was the retarded boyfriend in Welcome to the Dollhouse, and one of the killers in Boys Don't Cry.

I think his level of celebrity can be summed up by both Block and I name-checking him, but neither of us getting his name right.