Euro-crime thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Fear Over The City (Peur Sur La Ville)
- NICE. I didn't even know this was on DVD, i'm gonna order it asap.

To keep with the Belmondo theme here:

Le Professionel (1981) - another one of my alltime personal faves. I was a bit worried buying the dvd because of nostalgia factor - I used to watch this when I was little and remembered it with much love. Unfortunately, I've previously found a bunch of movies from my younger days that were real disappointing now. Fortunately this one lived up to expectations and then some.

Before getting to the details, I got to mention the overall feel of this. The other movies I posted here are all very fast paced (or they try to be), the general effect is very frantic and energetic. This one is different, maybe because it's French and not Italian - it feels very laid back. There is a fatalistic attitude that prevails in the plot, the characters, even the fantastic Morricone score. In this aspect it could be likened to its betters such as Le Circle Rouge and Le Samourai. Even though there is action, it is almost secondary, the main attraction is watching the events unfold.

The story here is about a French spy Joss Beaumont who is sent to Africa to assasinate an enemy president. He is found out, spends some time in prison and then escapes. When the president, now an ally, visits Paris Beumont shows up out of nowhere to settle old scores and complete his assignment.

As I mentioned above, this is not an "action spectacular." There are certainly action scenes, but the hero mostly accomplishes his goals by outwitting everyone around him. That's the part I actually enjoyed the most - he's a badass and could kill at will, but he uses his head instead and makes everybody else look like assholes.

The character of Beumont is not very original but well defined. It's clear that he was conceived from some kind of insanely cool composit of Jef Costello, James Bond and a leather jacket, but it's perfect for the films purposes. Belmondo is a good actor for the part, he is much older here than he was when he worked with Godart and his hearthrob days are behind him. It's cool to see an "action hero" who is a bad ass, success with the ladies (understatement in this case), but is by no means a pretty boy, or even good looking.

So, for the redundant bottom line, this movie is my shit. A really cool mix of spy, euro action and character drama, with a Morricone score that will make you want to cry like "All that I got is you"

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

These movie threads are insane.....70's gore?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Cleanhobo wrote:I like Sexy Beast.

I have no idea what any of these movies are, but I now want to see quite a few of them. Too bad the ones I'm interested in the most are not available through Netflix.
See the movie that sexy beast is an homeage of

The Long Good Friday

One of my favorite movies ever.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

See the movie that sexy beast is an homeage of

The Long Good Friday
Long Good Friday is the shit, my favourite criterion of the ones i have.

I didn't know Sexy Beast was an homage, what's the connection? Any details? Not doubting you or anything, I just didn't realize these two as having anything in common beyond the fact they are excelent british gangster flicks.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dusting off this oldie for a couple of reasons....

reason numero uno

From Twitch.net

Here comes something really cool. A must for all lovers of Italian ג€œpolizieschiג€ (Cop Movies from the Seventies).
Calibro 70 is a short movie, written (together with Ivan Fabio Perna), directed and indipendently produced by Alessandro Rota. The director, born 1984, has always been fascinated by this great italian genre (but hey, who doesnג€™t?), which has seen so many great directors in the past like Enzo G. Castellari (High Crime, The Big Racket), Fernando di Leo (Calibre 9, Manhunt), Umberto Lenzi (Almost Human, Tough Ones), Stelvio Massi (Magnum Cop, The Last Round) and Sergio Martino (Violent Professionals, Silent Action).
As in the Spaghetti Western, there was a bunch of main players, actors such as Maurizio Merli, Enrico Maria Salerno, Luc Merenda, Tomas Milian and Franco Nero, who became rapidly the stars of the genre.
Always considered by critics as pure exploitation and accused of being ג€œfascistג€, there has been a revaluation of these movies in the last ten years, which exploded defintely with the DVD market (think of labels like NoShame, Rarovideo, Koch Media or Blue Underground).
Calibro 70, is intended to be a hommage and also a new take on the genre.
The movie is still in production, but from what one can see in the trailer, and considering the amount of time and money spend to get this done, it looks absolutely awesome: just look at the single shots, the locations, the cars (the typical Alfa Romeo Giulia) and costumes. There is really some love for details going on.

Awesome ass trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZiuSinOog0

Shit, if this dude can do it, we should make one too. Stormy is already in ireland, he should ditch that gradschool nonsense and go to italy stat to scout locations and chicks, buy up mad alpha romeos for crashin and explodin, and see what Tomas Millian is up to these days.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Actually, the Milian thing is the least out of the question thing about that. One of my inlaws is a film maker and he directed Milian a few years ago in Washington Heights.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:Actually, the Milian thing is the least out of the question thing about that. One of my inlaws is a film maker and he directed Milian a few years ago in Washington Heights.
you're married?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

fuck no!

sorry if that was ambiguous

one of my relatives is a set designer and she is married to the guy who knows Milian

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh ok, as long as we got the connect

but anyway, back on the real topic, that trailer is pretty badass

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I don't know

I hate stuff that is blatantly shot on digital

yeah you got the cars and the clothes, but man that video quality just takes me right out of it.

also didn't like the villain

also don't understand making a trailer for a short film
how short is this thing?

but yeah, it's nice to see somebody doing anything politzei these days

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

woah...how did i ever miss this thread...?

gonna start readin up on these. The Violent Pros. does look like a movie id cop souly from the look of its cover!!!

thanks driz.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:I don't know

I hate stuff that is blatantly shot on digital

yeah you got the cars and the clothes, but man that video quality just takes me right out of it.

also didn't like the villain

also don't understand making a trailer for a short film
how short is this thing?

but yeah, it's nice to see somebody doing anything politzei these days
i can see where you're coming from with the digital, but i'm guessing the kid is just trying to save some money

as far as the length, i'm not even sure. got to be more than a 1/2 hour

which villain didn't you like, i think every character in that trailer is a villain. the main guy with the long hair seems actually like a nod to Millian in Almost Human

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

The nod to Milian, that's the one I was talking about.

And yeah, I know I can't reasonably expect the kid to shoot on 35mm, but I've seen plenty of digital stuff that doesn't look like a basic cable newscast. I don't know, it's nitpicking.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

StormShadow wrote:And yeah, I know I can't reasonably expect the kid to shoot on 35mm, but I've seen plenty of digital stuff that doesn't look like a basic cable newscast. I don't know, it's nitpicking.
maybe he's planning to fade it or something, give it that worn look and feel?

darkwing, whatever you like in here hit me up and i'll tell you how to find it

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Yes, Drizzle is very helpful when it comes to finding italo-crime stuff.

Hell, the poor guy still keep sme updated! god bless 'im

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh you people are gonna love numero dos, and that one is getting wide dvd release like a motherfucker

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Uh what

what is numero dos

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

numero dos

Ricco The Mean Machine
Released from prison after a 2-year stretch, Ricco Aversi (Christopher Mitchum, son of legendary actor Robert Mitchum) goes gunning for merciless drug smuggler Don Vito (Arthur Kennedy), who not only had his father brutally murdered but also stole his drop-dead gorgeous girlfriend (Malissa Longo, Black Emanuelle, White Emanuelle).

Teaming up with a beautiful con-artist (Barbara Bouchet), Ricco's blood soaked path to vengeance knows no bounds!

RICCO was released in America as a horro film called Cauldron of Death! Seen for thirty years only via censored VHS tapes, Ricco The Mean Machine is presented by Dark Sky Films complete and uncut, in all its glory.

Special Features:
- "Mitchum the Mean Machine" - featurette with Christopher Mitchum
- Trailer
- Still Gallery

another one that was never seen uncut, etc etc

look how ill the cover art is
Last edited by drizzle on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

I had to copy/paste it but yeah, that's a dope cover. Maybe just because the picture is small, but it looks like a rednexploitation movie

I expected to see a big alligator rearing up on the bottom right

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

Drizzle, have you seen Uno Bianca? It's by the same guy who made Dellamorte Dellamore, one of the first things he did coming back from his hiatus.

http://www.amazon.com/Uno-Bianca-Kim-Ro ... UTF8&s=dvd

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things.

Also, for anyone who is interested. You can get Danger: Diabolik for 6 bucks plus free shipping at DeepDiscount. Hard to beat that.

Funky Butler

Post by Funky Butler »

StormShadow wrote:Do you realize what you've done... There's like 100 movies I need to buy from xploited cinema. Their spaghetti western section: :ohsh:
I know nothing about this genre

this is dope
Hemingway Novel Model

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Re-reading over this thread I can't believe Drizzle said Il Boss was the weakest of Di Leo's Milano trilogy!

I still haven't seen Calibro 9, but as much as I enjoyed Manhunt and most of the other euro-crime I've seen Il Boss is definitely my favorite.

Just the illest illest shit. The music is so good, Silva is basically the single most badass character ever in cinema, and the movie is just ruthless, I love it.

Asphyx

Post by Asphyx »

Pusher Trilogy
Writer and director Nicolas Winding Refn made his 1996 feature film debut, PUSHER. This violent, edgy, yet moving cult classic established Refn as an uncompromising filmmaker of great talent and depth. Following PUSHER, Refn returned to the Copenhagen underworld in 2004 with PUSHER II: WITH BLOOD ON MY HANDS, while 2005 saw the release of PUSHER III: I'M THE ANGEL OF DEATH. All three PUSHER films display Refn effortlessly blending moody atmospherics and frenetic action, portraying his characters with a depth and confidence belying his years. Though each film can be appreciated independently of the other two, Refn subtly interweaves these three tales so that a minor character in one film moves to the fore to become the central character of the next. The resulting trilogy stands as a masterful reinvention of international crime cinema, as poignantly human as it is brutally and viscerally realized. The PUSHER TRILOGY reveals the humanity in even the most violent criminals and how every pusher--no matter what his status--is only one bad deal away from total ruin.

These are drugmovie essentials.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

TeenageMoustache wrote:Drizzle, have you seen Uno Bianca? It's by the same guy who made Dellamorte Dellamore, one of the first things he did coming back from his hiatus.

http://www.amazon.com/Uno-Bianca-Kim-Ro ... UTF8&s=dvd

I haven't seen it myself, but I've heard good things.
yup, got this one. Very solid police procedural, kinda like a who-dunnit. Not much action, but the tension through most of it is rediculous. Good acting too. Def recommended. FYI, there's a big spoiler on the dvd box, don't look too closely at it if you can help it.

Stormy, Il Boss is the weakest of the 3 in terms of story and acting, it's the strongest in terms of badassery. The other 2 work better as noirish dramas, but this one got Silva with a rocket launcher, so.....

The Pusher trilogy that Asphyx posted is a little off topic since it's from the 90s, but good shit none the less. It was probably a lot more edgy and fresh when it was made, the impact is watered down a bit by a ton of other movies like it made since. However that's not bad as long as you go in knowing what you're gonna get - small-scale tightly wound character driven crime dramas (this shit was very popular in teh 90s). I forgot which one I liked the best from the 3, the one where the new Bond villain comes back from jail i think.

Asphyx

Post by Asphyx »

That's the second, it's almost impossible to tell which is better. Pusher 2 is a bit more emotional, whilst 1 was more action. The third was kinda just squeezing the grape.

It's dope that some of you guys peeped it... how did you like the language? :grin:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Asphyx wrote:That's the second, it's almost impossible to tell which is better. Pusher 2 is a bit more emotional, whilst 1 was more action. The third was kinda just squeezing the grape.

It's dope that some of you guys peeped it... how did you like the language? :grin:
what do you mean?

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Il Boss

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

just came in the mail, i'm very fucking excited:

Italian tvshow, i'm guessing this was never shown in America, but it was a huge hit all over europe. It's a long sprawling look at the mafia in Italy during the 70's and 80's. The word La Piovra means octopuss (maybe squid?) or in Italian, it refers to how wide the reach of the mafia was at the time. Basically all levels of villainy are covered here, from the lowest bagsnatcher to the most corrupt politicians, and Comisare Corrado Cattani is out to kick ALL their asses while trying to keep his fam safe and all that. The series was directed by Damio Damiani, very underrated director who usually concentrated on character driven drama as opposed to just gunfights. Music was done by Riz Ortolani, and ....................... dun dun dun...............ENNIO MOTHERFUCKING MORRICONE, which alone is almost enough reason to buy it.

Boxset itself is actually fairly cheap, but it is region 4 PAL.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Whereas I just bought:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

:ohsh: I keep meaning to order loaded gun

Matalo is off the chain

38 special is pretty good, a bit different from the norm

django kill i'm not a big fan of