CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

battlecatmeowstab212

Re: CM Punk & Wrestling's Best Storyline in Years...

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:I haven't watched the Austin-McMahon podcast or the second Punk AOW episode. Will I need to watch Austin-McMahon first?
The second punk AOW isn't great, pretty boring. Just watch austin McMahon immediately, it's def mad entertaining.

Also am I the only one that thinks austin shits on cabana in the podcast game? He's a more entertaining host and a better interviewer.
I think Cabana and Austin are two different styles of host. Austin's more of a Larry King "let me ask you the questions someone with no cursory knowledge of you would need to get to know you, then once we all know you, let me ask you what even those who are familiar with you are dying to know" whereas Colt's more of a conversational slice of life interviewer. Austin's more of a "let's discuss the things you've done" whereas Colt's more of a "let's talk about how you're here, and what got you to here."

I can't see Austin having the Domino Nigeria podcast, or the PAC pre-Adrian Nevill podcast.

Look at both of their episodes with Daniel Bryan, they're both great but showcased two different sides of the same person.

I think Austin's is more comparable to Jericho's and Cabana's is closer to JR's in that regard.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

What will main event TLC: Cena's table match or the actual TLC match?

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Cena for sure, and I think that's the right call.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Brougham33 wrote:Cena for sure, and I think that's the right call.

#1 contendership is on the line right? Main Event for sure.

hustler

Post by hustler »

can someone give me a quick breakdown of why cena is still relevant?

is it merch sales and catering to the kiddy/family demographic?
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

Post by 907 »

hustler wrote:can someone give me a quick breakdown of why cena is still relevant?

That, and Vince's huge boner for him.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

battlecatmeowstab212

My favorite part of the Austin-McMahon broadcast was McMahan giving the cue for 15 more minutes and then saying casually "It's ok, I own the network."

The most regular guy casual approach to billionaire shit I've ever seen.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

907 wrote:
hustler wrote:can someone give me a quick breakdown of why cena is still relevant?

Yea and Vince's inability to develop a face that can truly take cena's place. Cena heel turn would expose that fact.

Imo if pushed currently, ambrose could be an austin esque anti hero top face, but I don't think Wwe is fully ready to go in that direction.

hustler

Post by hustler »

907 wrote:

Yea and Vince's inability to develop a face that can truly take cena's place. Cena heel turn would expose that fact.

Imo if pushed currently, ambrose could be an austin esque anti hero top face, but I don't think Wwe is fully ready to go in that direction.

in order for ambrose to really have an austin-esque breakthrough, the wwe would have to usher in #ATTITUDEERA2.0. coincidentally, the table is perfectly set for a new era like that to begin with the cena heel turn being the precise catalyst needed.

one thing that has really bothered me, is that vince doesnt want to go back to doing more mature content, for fear it will alienate his youth and family demographic, however, most of the "adult" wrestling fans today in the 18-39 demographic, all grew up watching wwe in the attitude era or earlier. and most of them want a return to more mature content. moreover, the kids who grew up watching wwe in attitude era, are now having kids and families of their own, and they are not going to deny their kid from watching it, why would they? they watched it as a kid and they turned out just fine.

attitude era was arguably the most successful/best era for WWE, and they have that era to thank for most of their current fanbase. vince always speaks on giving the people what they want, well this is what i want: i want middle fingers, i want f-bombs, i want puppies, i want mudwrestling, i want divas stripping, i want blood, i want suck-it, i want racism, sexism, misogyny, sex, drugs, pimps and hoes, i want longer matches with better stories, and i dont want anymore stupid midget mascots.

i remember back in the days, the newspapers would print stories about kids being suspended from school for doing the "suck-it" crotch thrust to their teachers. wwe needs to get back to creating offensive content like that, that kids can immitate and get in trouble for. thats what the wwe should be about. thats the sort of wholesome wrestling entertainment i grew up with, and i want my kids to be able to enjoy that same style for their upbringing.

battlecatmeowstab212

hustler wrote:
907 wrote:

in order for ambrose to really have an austin-esque breakthrough, the wwe would have to usher in #ATTITUDEERA2.0. coincidentally, the table is perfectly set for a new era like that to begin with the cena heel turn being the precise catalyst needed.

one thing that has really bothered me, is that vince doesnt want to go back to doing more mature content, for fear it will alienate his youth and family demographic, however, most of the "adult" wrestling fans today in the 18-39 demographic, all grew up watching wwe in the attitude era or earlier. and most of them want a return to more mature content. moreover, the kids who grew up watching wwe in attitude era, are now having kids and families of their own, and they are not going to deny their kid from watching it, why would they? they watched it as a kid and they turned out just fine.

attitude era was arguably the most successful/best era for WWE, and they have that era to thank for most of their current fanbase. vince always speaks on giving the people what they want, well this is what i want: i want middle fingers, i want f-bombs, i want puppies, i want mudwrestling, i want divas stripping, i want blood, i want suck-it, i want racism, sexism, misogyny, sex, drugs, pimps and hoes, i want longer matches with better stories, and i dont want anymore stupid midget mascots.

i remember back in the days, the newspapers would print stories about kids being suspended from school for doing the "suck-it" crotch thrust to their teachers. wwe needs to get back to creating offensive content like that, that kids can immitate and get in trouble for. thats what the wwe should be about. thats the sort of wholesome wrestling entertainment i grew up with, and i want my kids to be able to enjoy that same style for their upbringing.
Well, here you go - http://www.highspots.com/c/Combat-Zone-DVD.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Welp. This is happening.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIIIIIME!

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

BigCat8 wrote:Welp. This is happening.
Wow. Not sure what to think.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

blastmaster wrote:Wow. Not sure what to think.
For me it's mostly, "Good for him" because I think he probably has realistic expectations for himself. On the other hand, I'm also a little concerned about a 36-year old with a concussion and no real striking background stepping in there with guys who've been doing this full-time since the MMA boom.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Good for him, even if he fails miserably.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Doubt he will fail. He will fight a bunch of sacrificial lambs for the first few fights and sell ppvs. While he doesn't have striking experience he has to be able translate his athleticism and have an advantage over an NCAA wrestler who took some muy Thai and boxing lessons for a summer.

Bottom line is I am interested in UFCs watered down shit ass product again, so it's already a success.

Would still pay for a UFC Network btw.

Post by 907 »

hustler wrote:
907 wrote:

They can't go back to that as long as they're partnered with whoever their current action figure company is, it was part of their deal. I think being a publicly traded company might have something to do with it as well.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

hustler

Post by hustler »

full disclosure, this thread is basically my primary window to the WWE. i havnt watched a raw or smackdown in forever. i occasionally download a PPV, and mostly just fast forward through it. before every match they do nice vignettes to recap the buildup to the match, so its not even necessary to watch the shows during the week. back in the days, raw was cant miss television. RAWisWAR was my shit. everything with cena really turned me off, and i stopped tuning in, it was jut every week cena this cena that. every main event was cena. he was either always the champ or the number one contender. then when the cm punk thing happened, he kinda rejuvenated the business, his antics won me back, there was some great stuff during that run. rock vs cena was ok i guess. i gave daniel bryan a fair shake too, he's decent, i enjoyed his rise to becoming champion, the yes movement was fun. but yeah, for the most part im tuned out, i wouldnt even consider myself a casual fan. i actually much more enjoy discussing the business. i like the stone cold podcasts, and especially when he commentates on his old matches. i like when really retarded things happen, like the orton vs batista main event debacle, where literally EVERYONE said it was a bad idea, dont do it. batista himself didnt even wana come back as a face. mcmahon is such a delusional, out of touch, stubborn ego maniac. his insanity is simultaneously his greatest weakness and strength.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

blastmaster wrote:Doubt he will fail. He will fight a bunch of sacrificial lambs for the first few fights and sell ppvs. While he doesn't have striking experience he has to be able translate his athleticism and have an advantage over an NCAA wrestler who took some muy Thai and boxing lessons for a summer.

Bottom line is I am interested in UFCs watered down shit ass product again, so it's already a success.

A good level NCAA wrestler will eat his lunch since both of them are not refined strikers. Don't get me wrong Punk is athletic but not to the level of say a Jon Jones or GSP who are freaks of nature. Punk doesn't possess the kind of athleticism that can overwhelm a truly skilled technician who has spent their entire life refining a more relevant craft. Think about what happened to Lesnar when he fought Cain Velasquez. Lesnar even had the advantage of being a high level wrestler at the NCAA level but lacked the refinement that Velasquez had post college. This is a great marketing move by the UFC but Punk will never reach a high level of success in the UFC. The game has changed so much over the last decade and celebrity crossovers don't stand a chance against the new breed of fighters.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

battlecatmeowstab212

I would be interested to see if Shelton Benjamin or Swagger had a go in an MMA capacity.

hustler

Post by hustler »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:I would be interested to see if Shelton Benjamin or Swagger had a go in an MMA capacity.
i think chris benoit woulda been an absolute killer in the octagon.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Prophecy wrote:
blastmaster wrote:Doubt he will fail. He will fight a bunch of sacrificial lambs for the first few fights and sell ppvs. While he doesn't have striking experience he has to be able translate his athleticism and have an advantage over an NCAA wrestler who took some muy Thai and boxing lessons for a summer.

A good level NCAA wrestler will eat his lunch since both of them are not refined strikers. Don't get me wrong Punk is athletic but not to the level of say a Jon Jones or GSP who are freaks of nature. Punk doesn't possess the kind of athleticism that can overwhelm a truly skilled technician who has spent their entire life refining a more relevant craft. Think about what happened to Lesnar when he fought Cain Velasquez. Lesnar even had the advantage of being a high level wrestler at the NCAA level but lacked the refinement that Velasquez had post college. This is a great marketing move by the UFC but Punk will never reach a high level of success in the UFC. The game has changed so much over the last decade and celebrity crossovers don't stand a chance against the new breed of fighters.

Agreed 100%. He will be fighting guys with like 2 fights under their belts. They will protect him and ride the wave as long as possible.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

blastmaster wrote:
Prophecy wrote:

Agreed 100%. He will be fighting guys with like 2 fights under their belts. They will protect him and ride the wave as long as possible.
Yea we know that, but the more important perspective here is that punk is way less qualified to fight in UFC than Brock was. If/when punk does face real competition, he could get seriously fucked up.

hustler

Post by hustler »

green ranger wants to fight punk for his ufc debut.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

hustler wrote:green ranger wants to fight punk for his ufc debut.
And I want the Green Ranger to fight Punk in the UFC. This is definitely a thing that I want.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

BigCat8 wrote:
hustler wrote:green ranger wants to fight punk for his ufc debut.
And I want the Green Ranger to fight Punk in the UFC. This is definitely a thing that I want.
STOP TALKING. MY PENIS CAN ONLY GET SO ERECT.

battlecatmeowstab212

Does anyone here actually follow CZW?

I eluded to it earlier and I've only super-casually/peripherally followed it. I've had my interest peaked this year when I copped the two Dean Ambrose/ Best of Jon Moxley compilations, and saw a few matches on the Best of Sami Calihan comps I have.

Truth be told, CZW had a hand in launching a lot of great indie talent: Dean Ambrose, Kevin Steen, El Generico/Sami Zayn, Adam Cole, Eddie Kingston, etc.

Their biggest show of the year, Cage of Death 16, is coming up and so Highspots is having a 35% off sale on all CZW DVDs, so I copped their Wrestlecon 2013 and last year's Cage of Death XV discs, which have matches with Chris Hero, Brian Kendrick, Colt Cabana, Davey Richards, Sami Callihan, Freight Train and a few more.

I went to CZW's website to see what this year's card is, and I love that this is a real promo image:

I repeat, that is REAL.

I think it's awesome that they're having a toy drive, as I think it's awesome when anyone does, but that's so cool that they aren't toning down what they are at all and still having it.

Anyway, so I'm looking at the card and these matches stick-out to me:

CZW World Tag-Team Championship
OI4K (Jake & Dave Crist) (c) v. The American Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards)

Norman Smiley Memorial Bunkhouse Brawl Ultraviolent Food Fight of Life & Death
Greg Excellent & ? w/Mama Excellent vs. Matt Tremont & ?

Can anyone give me a rundown on what else I should be excited about going into the card - http://www.czwrestling.com/upcoming/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

14 year old Kalel would probably have been SUPER into CZW.

30 year old Kalel can barely watch old ECW tapes without cringing.

I'm out.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

My wrestling interest lately has been in podcasts, ROH, New Japan, and Lucha Underground. I know they kill the major events, but RAW is just unwatchable. The slammy awards normally are, but I can't for the life of me understand why Harper and Rowan happened, Reigns won superstar of the year and dropped another promo dud, this time live, and you put Cena and Big Show in the main event over Ziggler vs Rollins? Both were going to end in schmoz anyway, why not highlight two young stars who could put on a fresh match? Oh, and to promote the NXT Special Event they gave Charlotte Flair her Raw debut, and she lost, so that Tyson Kidd could get some heat?

That being said, can't wait for the NXT event tomorrow.

Pizon

Post by Pizon »

I think Charlotte losing a close match made sense, since she's supposed to be an upcoming NXT rookie not yet having competed on the main roster.

Not buying Reigns legit won Superstar of the Year. Surely people didn't vote him that, as he's nowhere near as over as Ambrose or Bryan. Now it seems he might be getting that Royal Rumble push, which would be a terrible idea.

I can't get into CZW because the initials were obviously chosen to rhyme with ECW for the sake of chanting. Every time I hear or see the letters I cringe.