The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

That little 30 second teaser before DKR looked and felt exactly like a Levi's Commercial.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looks like the "everybody celebrating" scene after the asteroid gets destroyed in Armageddon mixed with the LotR soundtrack.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

wonder who the other guy flying in the air is? :killacam:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Lex Luthor isn't gonna be in this

The villain is Zod played by Michael Shannon

Truth.

Re: The Man Of Steel (Directed by Zack Snyder)

Post by Truth. »

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Is there new footage floating around? That's what I heard.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Trademark wrote:Is there new footage floating around? That's what I heard.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

new trailer

looks great

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Better. Much fucking better.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Wondering how his true identity is gonna be handled in this

Thinking he leaves Smallville for a long time and starts going by a different name, then when he's older and unrecognizable by people that knew him when he was younger he reemerges as Superman

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

as much as i love nolan's batman, i can see myself coming to really resent the influence it's already showing. i'm not sure if the movie itself will have the same tone, but dark humorless melodramatic pseudo-realistic approach of the trailer will get old pretty fast. it's already getting kinda :roll:

otherwise this shit looks dope though
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I hate superman, but I have to admit that this looks pretty fucking good.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

drizzle wrote:as much as i love nolan's batman, i can see myself coming to really resent the influence it's already showing. i'm not sure if the movie itself will have the same tone, but dark humorless melodramatic pseudo-realistic approach of the trailer will get old pretty fast. it's already getting kinda :roll:

You are a fickle bunch.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Why? Just because a certain style worked for one franchise doesn't mean it will work when applied to others. Superman, Star Trek, Iron Man - these are distinct entities with their own unique characteristics, painting them all with a Dark Knight brush just because that's what's hot right now doesn't do them any justice. That's especially true in regards to Superman, considering the established Batman Vs Superman dichotomy in comic mythology.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:Why? Just because a certain style worked for one franchise doesn't mean it will work when applied to others. Superman, Star Trek, Iron Man - these are distinct entities with their own unique characteristics, painting them all with a Dark Knight brush just because that's what's hot right now doesn't do them any justice. That's especially true in regards to Superman, considering the established Batman Vs Superman dichotomy in comic mythology.

I actually think the Nolan brush fits Superman mythology better than Batman mythology. The whole "should I have let them die?" "maybe" dialogue is the crux of the Superman character.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

couldn't disagree more, kinda baffled by your statement actually. batman is supposed to be the dark tortured morally ambiguous one. superman is supposed to be the paragon of boyscout virtues. how exactly is letting a schoolbus full of kids die a crux of that?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

drizzle wrote:couldn't disagree more, kinda baffled by your statement actually. batman is supposed to be the dark tortured morally ambiguous one. superman is supposed to be the paragon of boyscout virtues. how exactly is letting a schoolbus full of kids die a crux of that?
I think he's referring more the the "Is SuperMan Clark Kent or Superman?" conundrum.
UBM CD COMING SOON

ric

Post by ric »

i think the dark direction is exactly what the franchise needs to stop being so fucking retarded and childish and not worth my time
drizzle wrote:couldn't disagree more, kinda baffled by your statement actually. batman is supposed to be the dark tortured morally ambiguous one. superman is supposed to be the paragon of boyscout virtues. how exactly is letting a schoolbus full of kids die a crux of that?
i think trademark is talking about how superman can basically do anything so should he do everything and thats the conundrum that will always confront superman and he seems to get caught in that shit all the time and it ruins his life and its fodder for more material about human tragedy being a valuable part of a whole/yin yang etc etc etc

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

A darker Superman is the only way to make a successful movie in this era, the goodie-two-shoes comic book version would never play well. He needs to be morally tested to make him an interesting character. All the "What if Superman went bad?" plots have always been the most interesting to me because he's such a powerful being and could easily fuck a lot of shit up (See Superman 3 :lol:).
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

drizzle wrote:as much as i love nolan's batman, i can see myself coming to really resent the influence it's already showing. i'm not sure if the movie itself will have the same tone, but dark humorless melodramatic pseudo-realistic approach of the trailer will get old pretty fast. it's already getting kinda :roll:

I generally agree with this (it's why I loved The Avengers so much), but in the particular instance of Superman I think it's a good move. They clearly need to try something different and this might be the ticket.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

It kinda sounds like you guys want a Dr Manhattan movie more than you want a Superman movie. I do too though

I don't necessarily think that going darker would be a bad thing for the franchise, I just don't want it to be a retread of how Nolan went about it. But that's exactly what the trailer brings to mind. There are many other ways to portray moral conflict

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
i love the whole dark-realistic aesthetic and feel though. like those blues and greens and greys. great color pallet. would be cool to see superman dust off from a boat in the middle of a raging storm to go super high into the sky to do some sweet shit. cool thing about batman is you can have him being a decision maker who is also at core an emotionally charged self propelling vigilante who doesnt mind wreaking havoc to catch a villain. would love to see what kind of shit they did with a dark superman because the bright superman....i think it could be done well but it would REAL hard to find someone whos vision of a bright superman wasnt super fucking cheesy like every other movie superman. even laying the superman character into the batman characters cardboard cutout would be a huge improvement (if that makes sense) but i think its going to sprawl and its going to be different. especially because its snyder. i mean hes really not that much like nolan i feel like they are compared because theres not a lot to compare them to in the superhero genre/context

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Just because it's gonna be a serious take on Supes it doesn't mean it's going to be dark, it's not going to have a scarred up clown shotgun blastin cops

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

ric wrote:i think the dark direction is exactly what the franchise needs to stop being so fucking retarded and childish and not worth my time
i think trademark is talking about how superman can basically do anything so should he do everything and thats the conundrum that will always confront superman and he seems to get caught in that shit all the time and it ruins his life and its fodder for more material about human tragedy being a valuable part of a whole/yin yang etc etc etc

this.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

jamrage wrote:A darker Superman is the only way to make a successful movie in this era, the goodie-two-shoes comic book version would never play well. He needs to be morally tested to make him an interesting character. All the "What if Superman went bad?" plots have always been the most interesting to me because he's such a powerful being and could easily fuck a lot of shit up (See Superman 3 :lol:).
this.

Drunk Superman is one of the illest moments in Clark Kent's cinematic existence.

cysed
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

in the shower the other day i thought up a list of things i hope this franchise starts to get rid of in the superman lore/cannon (let me say that i am not actually a fan of the franchise and the communist russian superman is the only one i have ever cared about because it is very stylish);

1. superman cannot shoot lasers from his eyes. this is retarded and i have no idea why anyone would think this is reasonable for a guy who was just kind of housed in a space ship surrounded with crystals. flying is one thing - shooting laser beams from eyes? really?
2. superman cannot fly into outer space. very very high i am willing to accept but literally flying into outer fucking space where everything else in the universe except those mysterious asteroid bacteria turns necronymous in less than an instant is really fucking insane and stupid
3. superman cannot turn back time. apart from the outer space thing that is really super obviously retarded
4. when get shot at its not like superman feels nothing. fucking guns are shooting bullets at what is still soft fleshy material with a nervous system im pretty fucking sure hes gonna feel it even if they dont penetrate the skin. not getting sick, cool, i can buy that; no pain when a legion of soldiers is shooting at you; not so fucking buyable even for a superhero
5. the see through vision thing must be toned down in a major way; all that 'stand aside while i super-beam-gaze into this impenetrable door' shit is retarded as well as the whole thing villains do like 'i lined this door with lead' bullshit. how about he can sort of barely see through/sense shit that is not behind super manufacted material (ie not bank doors, not tanker ship hulls, not airplane shells, etc etc)
6. the flying thing. make it better. hes got to discover how to do this shit and there has to be better limitations. its one thing to jump up high in the air with superhuman strength and deflect a car from smashing huddling people; its quite another to fly up in the air and catch a nuclear missile flying at 200mph like you were playing baseball and then hucking it into space. birds are designed to fly and a good number of them die before they can do it. it is retarded that superman can just jump up into the air and master gravity-defiance more naturally than any other species in the universe. some things are perfectly acceptable like flying over or under airplanes to save them but mostly i am talking about catching and redirecting things like no big deal. superhuman strength does not extend to natural mastery of time and space (gravity) such that literally anything is possible with great ease

merry christmas

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

You high?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

fuck no ric, without those powers he'd be a pussy like wonderman.
UBM CD COMING SOON

ric

Post by ric »

@blast
no

@tweak
you are saying you like the whole 'lasers shooting from eyes' thing? are you saying you want this newer darker iteration of superman to be able to fly into space, grab the earth, and then spin it backwards and 'turn back time'?

wheels

Post by wheels »

ric you can't ever ever leave us