The Killing (New AMC Show)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

He was amazing in "Welcome to the dollhouse" but his range of characters can only go from scumbag to dirtbag.
He was also the star of "Hurricane streets".

Dids

Post by Dids »

wheels wrote:
Dids wrote:THERE IS NO FUCKING DEL TACO IN SEATTLE. Was google really that hard?

Show is really trending downward. Politics stuff is getting worse, cop stuff is heading that way and the parents, while still good- seem headed for shit too...
I appreciate your knowledge of Seattle, but I'm sure these kind of errors are going largely unnoticed. It's not like they put an In & Out in manhattan.

I really liked the last episode but I'm a sucker for plodding plot lines and character development.
I think for Seattle people it's about on par with an In & Out in Manhattan (or in Seattle). That we don't have Del Taco is a thing people know.

If it wasn't for other issues with the show, it would just be a thing to laugh about. As I find myself annoyed for other reasons- the fact that they seem to have only set the show in Seattle for the rain (itself something of a error) just doesn't help with my overall impression that these guys have a clue.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^Not to sound dickish, but part of it imo is that people living in Seattle just aren't as used to having media set in their hometown as say folks in NY/LA/Chicago/SF. The type of shit that's bothering you is pretty standard fare for those folks.

I remember watching the first ep of Parenthood (which was awful) and getting similarly annoyed at the time discontinuities and random asides said about things supposedly in/about Berkeley.

Also, the In-N-Out comparison is a stretch, as it isn't even on the East Coast. It was a conversation with her fiance, they're moving to NorCal and have ostensibly been there before, so it's not inconceivable that she's had it before. It's not accurate, but it's not In-N-Out either.

Edit: also, every once in awhile when my wife tries to kiss me I push her away, and say in hella cross retard voice "I make the first move." I've been doing this shit for years and still haven't tired of it. Welcome To The Dollhouse Sexton>>>>>>>>

wheels

Post by wheels »

I was saying the hypothetical in & out gaff would have been worthy of the kind of reaction dids was affecting, not some minor details about the ethnic breakdown of a bus line or the mention of a fast food chain that doesn't exist in a city no one gives a fuck about.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ Oh, shit, yeah. Got confused and thought Dids made the In-N-Out comparison as a legitimate one. In any case, agreed that this type of shit is pretty typical.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Dids,

Please shut the fuck up about Seattle.

Yours,
Everyone in this thread
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Post by 360 »

I have a serious question for you, Dids; How often does it rain in Seattle?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

No one watched this last episode yet?

Rosie couldn't defend herself against a preggo bitch? Maybe she deserved to die.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I mean, there's something like 6 episode left , no way it's the teacher and wife, right? Unless this goes into the their trial and sentencing I don't see how they can drag this out that long. My money is still on BRandon sexton.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I think it is going to be her friend. she is conspicously abscent as off late.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

ALASKA wrote:I think it is going to be her friend. she is conspicously abscent as off late.
yeah i think the same thing. it's obvious the wife knows all the info though and is trying to protect people.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Yeah, it's too early for the murder to be solved, unless something happens to the teacher or his wife.
They showed Admiral Cain's* sister upset about something, so there is at least another angle that has yet to be revealed.

*Rosie's mother, I am not invested enough in this show to know people's names yet.
Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

her sister obviously got dicked down by that mob boss guy and is still upset about it. He snuffed her handshake at her nieces funeral, fucking brutal.

But if it wasn't dreadlocks and preggo then who did the telescope pedo molester dude see?

Dids

Post by Dids »

360 wrote:I have a serious question for you, Dids; How often does it rain in Seattle?
The thing about Seattle is that we get a lot of days of rain, but it's just all drizzle for the most part. Heavy rain like you've seen throughout the show is just as rare as anywhere else. Rain like the show has shown (giant storms for days) would mean flooding and what not in the areas around the city.

Thought this ep was just boring. The only thing that's interesting are the parents, and that plot seems like it's about to turn into rancid nasty ham.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I skip the parts about the greiving parents and politicians

Linden and Holder are the only reason I stick with this show

suspense picked up so hopefully it starts to get hectic soon

I thought the part about the cross/muslim talk with Holder and the sister was great in showing the racial/ethnic lines in Beattle.
UBM CD COMING SOON

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Dids wrote:
360 wrote:I have a serious question for you, Dids; How often does it rain in Seattle?
The thing about Seattle is that we get a lot of days of rain, but it's just all drizzle for the most part. Heavy rain like you've seen throughout the show is just as rare as anywhere else. Rain like the show has shown (giant storms for days) would mean flooding and what not in the areas around the city.
IIRC it's always pouring rain in film/televison because rain machines are constructed for the drops to be big enough to be captured on film stock.

Heavy rain means you're watching television or a movie. It has nothing to do with the creators' inability to capture the intricacies of the blessed utopian Beattle.

Also, fwiw, like many things, save for the establishing shots the show is filmed in Vancouver BC. This might offend the delicacies of Seattle viewers, but it's nowhere near Vancouver BC standing in for NY in movies like Rush Hour and shit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susangitti ... 527783270/

alpha

Post by alpha »

:ohsh:

Dids

Post by Dids »

Last ep was total crap. The whole show has this vibe that it was written by clueless Scandanavians whose understanding of American politics is based on wikipedia or something. (and I say this not just in relationship to Seattle specifically).

Popeye, I get that- I was mostly just providing an overly detailed response to his question. However I just can't shake the feeling that they decided to set the show in Seattle so they could film everything in a downpour and no other reason, as there's nothing else about the show that requires it to be set here and a few things they're doing that seem like it would be better set elsewhere.

Your Seattle nit of the week (this is basically meaningless, but I feel like sharing anyway):

The few times somebody's lost a little kid, it's been a non-white from a poor neighborhood and there were manhunts going for long after common sense dictated she was dead.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

My dvr was unplugged on Sunday (putting in new floor in living room)

Some pm me a link please?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ Sent

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Dids, good point. dunno. I would be curious to see why they decided on Seattle as well. The show was originally set in Copenhagen -- the equivalent of NYC in DK, but more similar to a huge flat Seattle than NY irl -- but I do think the Pac North West is a great setting for dark shows like this. Maybe the success of the Twilight franchise influenced their decision? Just hypothesizing.

As for the show, the cheap cliffhangers are starting to annoy me a bit. I don't mind cliffhangers as long as there's some payoff on the back end, but it seems like the cliffhangers get quickly wrapped up and pushed away in the first five mins of every next episode (kind of similar to the cheap scares of a harmless cat that jumps out from off camera in schlocky horror movies).

The "suspect-of-the-week" format feels a little cheap also. Not that these people have to be intimately involved in the crime, but if we're going to focus on the two boys and then the teacher, and then his wife, it would be nice if there was something more additive to the unraveling of the case than just a false lead (e.g. it wasn't the kids! now we never see them again).

Just nitpicking, though. I'm basically coming to terms with it being a good and entertaining show, not a great one. It's DEFINITELY the type of thing I'd recommend someone watching over a few days after it's over as opposed to week-to-week, though. I think the weekly layoff with no payoff wouldn't even be remotely an issue if I could just watch the whole thing in a day or two.

Edit: Also, Holder, her partner, is just continually running away with this whole shit. He's the person in the cast I'd want to check in something else.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

^^^^
fully agree. i'm at the point where even if the episode i'm watching is good in comparison to some of the previous ones, i'm starting to be less interested in the overall plot and characters. the cheap cliffhangers are entourage-esque and i'm starting to feel like the last couple episodes are gonna have to really force lots of rapid plot development based on the present meandering pace.

lastly- the running through the airport scene was hackneyed as fuck

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I just wish the political angle didn't exist. I mean,if it somehow becomes a part of the murder, okay but , otherwise, who gives a shit?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ Yeah, you have to assume it's definitely coming, but if we're already over half way through the season and it hasn't really mattered a lick, the answer might also be kind of thin.

Just dime store philosophizing, but maybe the FBI raid will have something to do with something that will get Richmond back in the race (assuming he has to get back into it before something in the case brings his ability to win in question again toward the end).

Edit: fuck, as far as enjoying the show goes, I think I'm my own worst enemy. I've just watched entirely too much TV in my life to not endless try to break down shows based on what I've learned about TV. I really need to chill the fuck out and just watch this shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^:lol:
I know what you mean. I've never been one of those people who tried to figure out the killer while watching the movie/show. Unless it's painfully obvious, I'm usually in the dark. This has resulted in me looking like a retard on many occasions, though.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Man I have a feeling were gonna get a deus ex machina for the killer, hopefully its not random muslim guy from Bennet's mosque.

Since were almost half way done with the show and they have yet to rule anyone out the only satisfying ending can be to have Bennet be found guilty even though he's innocent
UBM CD COMING SOON

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Dids wrote:Last ep was total crap. The whole show has this vibe that it was written by clueless Scandanavians whose understanding of American politics is based on wikipedia or something. (and I say this not just in relationship to Seattle specifically).

Popeye, I get that- I was mostly just providing an overly detailed response to his question. However I just can't shake the feeling that they decided to set the show in Seattle so they could film everything in a downpour and no other reason, as there's nothing else about the show that requires it to be set here and a few things they're doing that seem like it would be better set elsewhere.

Your Seattle nit of the week (this is basically meaningless, but I feel like sharing anyway):

The few times somebody's lost a little kid, it's been a non-white from a poor neighborhood and there were manhunts going for long after common sense dictated she was dead.
It is kind of like the way NYC was portrayed in Ghostbusters. It pissed me off because there is never THAT many ghosts around.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^^ :lol: :lol:

Tweak, no way they're making it a Muslim guy, but I'd be shocked if in the original Danish version it wasn't definitely the Muslim guy. CQ was probably jerking off to it with a rope around his neck in his closet.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ALASKA wrote:
Dids wrote:Last ep was total crap. The whole show has this vibe that it was written by clueless Scandanavians whose understanding of American politics is based on wikipedia or something. (and I say this not just in relationship to Seattle specifically).

It is kind of like the way NYC was portrayed in Ghostbusters. It pissed me off because there is never THAT many ghosts around.
:lol: :copy:

Officially signing the "Dids plz stfu about Seattle" petition

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

PopeyeJones wrote:^^^^ :lol: :lol:

Tweak, no way they're making it a Muslim guy, but I'd be shocked if in the original Danish version it wasn't definitely the Muslim guy. CQ was probably jerking off to it with a rope around his neck in his closet.
:roll:

It's not the Muslim btw.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB