What movie did you watch today?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Pronay

Re: What movie did you watch today?

Post by Pronay »

Smashed (2012) starring Mary Elizabeth :jiz:stead, Aaron Paul (in a very Pinkman-ish role... you could probably think of this as his life post the BB finale, provided he survives) and Ron Swanson as an assistant principal who at one point tells Winstead that he "can't stop thinking about fucking your moist pussy" (audible guffaw).

Winstead gets most of the screen time, and she does alright with the material, but it's obvious her skills are limited. But she does manage to look boneable throughout the entire film, even when waking up on a couch in crackhead territory. Good final minute of dialog.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

When you click you the wiki link, the heading is Smashed (film)
which made me chuckle
its like its made just for clarification for philaflavians

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Communion (1989) - A film about alien abduction based on a book by a writer who himself claims to have been abducted by aliens. The scenes with aliens are weird as hell and the movie has an opressive, strange atmosphere, if you do your best to try to take it seriously. Walken is excellent in this movie.

Heathers (1989) - This movie definitely couldn't have been made today. Slater wants to kill fellow students and wants his girlfriend to go along with it. I honestly think this movie could have been great, but the overacting and awkward dialogue often kills it for me. Slater is supposed to be a charismatic psycho but his lines are all very corny and he delivers them in an annoying and very forced manner. Much of the film is very surreal, so maybe the artificial feeling of the movie was intended, I just couldn't go along with it.

Behind the Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006) - A meta-slasher that really plays around with the narrative and mythology of slasherfilms in a very original way. I was entertained enough. Robert Englund is surprisingly good at being Donald Pleasance.

Young People Fucking (2011) - A Canadian sexcomedy. Has a strong theme of reversed gender-roles. The movie is pretty shit and mostly intended for women I guess but Diora Baird made the movie worth watching

Taped (2012) - Dutch thriller about a couple who witness a murder by the police and tape it. We follow them as they are hunted around in the industrial side of Buenos Aires. Some scenes are very intense, this is a well-realized suspense-film. People should give this a chance.

A Hijacking (2012) - Danish film about a boat being seized by Somalian pirates and the subsequent efforts to get the hostages home. It's very accomplished and goes for a realistic feel which suits the subjectmatter nicely. One of the better films from last year.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Behind the Mask is ridiculously underrated. Greatest Wes Craven film Wes Craven never made.

Can't believe you didn't like Heathers, that movie is a classic.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Prometheus - First time seeing it since the theater. If you can pull this thing out from under the rubble of collapsed expectations, you get an extremely good looking and entertaining scifi jawnt with moments of occasional stupidity. I have a feeling time will be more kind to it than the initial reactions were. BUT, with that said, there are two alternate scenes on the DVD which do a better job of explaining some plot details then the versions included in the film, and that kind of shit again brings you back to the point where you get UMAD about what this movie could have been in theory.

In Bruges - holds up so well, but I forgot how brutally dark it is and how much the promo campaign oversells the comedy aspect of it, and now my gf totally hates me for making me watch it under the guise of some light sunday night after-dinner entertainment.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Delirium (1987)
This giallo really wasn't that good to be honest, in fact it was mostly terrible. Some nice scenes but it's a failure on every level; borrowing many visual trademarks from Mario Bava and Dario Argento and not incorporating them effectively. Much of the time, I was left wondering if Serena Grandi was voluptuous or just fat; she had a cracking pair of tits, regardless. I also did enjoy seeing one-hit wonder Sabrina, prancing about mostly naked wearing a bee's head mask, though. Nevertheless, the plot is fairly familiar to anyone who's seen a film about stalking. Other than the sleaze, Lamberto Bava lacks the requirements in making this film interesting.

Eyeball (1975)
Umberto Lenzi delivers plenty of eyeball trauma in what's effectively a lacklustre Carry On Abroad rip-off. This was a pretty ridiculous movie overall laden with some truly idiotic characters. The ending was surprisingly entertaining, albeit with a moronic twist.

Murder Obsession (1981)
I actually liked this a lot. There's no question, this was a flawed film and hardly recommendable here, but personally, this was one of the better gialli I've seen in quite a while. It's a patchwork of italian genre themes like gothic horror, erotica and occult, and some of these work successfully into the film, some not. Hard to point out exactly what made it so good, other than it being a pretty earnest throwback, but it felt right.

Terrorvision (1986)
One of the goofiest campy sci-fi horror movies from the eighties. Interesting cultural satire (for it's time) mixed with a The Thing meets ET type story-line. The alien creature, is hilariously retarded looking, but it's the weird family and their home that make this film so ridiculous. Can't say I was a big fan of the film as it reminded me a lot of Troma's schlocky self-aware bullshit, which pisses me off much of the time. It's worth checking out if you love eighties OTT nonsense, however.

Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)
Thought this was a very good movie. Reminded me of the downbeat tone found in Corbucci's westerns which was awesome. Despite the film being an ode to Leone, the anti-hero was very understated and not larger than life cartoonish as you might expect from notable characters in the genre, which made it refreshing. The performances overall were very good. The dinner scene was a fantastic example of providing tension and the ending was exceptionally dope.

Comedy Quaddafi

Spartan wrote:Much of the time, I was left wondering if Serena Grandi was voluptuous or just fat; she had a cracking pair of tits, regardless.
She was bigger than your average actress but she wasn't fat IMO. Those tits are the real deal and a forgotten treasure of Italy in the 70's.

-----------------------------------------------------

Phonebooth (2002) - Wasn't sure if I ever saw this movie. Perhaps because there's no need to actually see it once you hear about the concept. Man is in phonebooth, can't hang up or he will be shot - because he wears a fancy watch and lies to his wife. Something like that. It does the bare minimum to keep your attention but it does succeed on the account, which was the intention I guess.

Attack the Block (2011) - Aliens vs. yoots. My girlfriend asked me to turn it off because she thought it was too stupid. I didn't mind the movie though, but I doubt I'll ever find the motivation to finish it.

Secret Défense (2008) - A film about the French anti-terror unit and their spies in the Mideast. The movie could have been really good but decides to focus too much on one particular character. I think a multi-perspective narrative like in Syriana would have been way better, as the subjectmatter is interesting enough in its own right. Decent film though.

38 Witnesses / One Night (2012) - A movie based on a book which was based on a murder in New York, where a woman was stabbed and raped, everyone pretended to not have heard/seen anything. The setting here is the French port-town Le Havre. The cinematography is topnotch with cracking colors and a icy, crisp look. What really blew me away was how intelligently the themes of guilt and responsibility are handled, from multiple perspectives as well. The movie could be compared to The Plague and The Fall by Albert Camus, the psychological insights and existential questions are so skillfully executed with depth movies normally can't reach. It only dawned on me after an hour or so just how good this movie is.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

kingaaronz

Post by kingaaronz »

That 38 Witnesses looks good I'll have to check that.

Take This Waltz (2011) - God awful, boring, predictable, etc.

The Addiction (1995) - For a vampire film set in NY in the mid-90s this was pretty good.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I watched the Red Dawn(2012) remake today. Acting wasn't that terrible, the pacing was good though. Action scenes were dope. If you suspend some basic ideas about reality(ie, a group of 16-20 year olds learning to be a trained skilled military unit within days) then you'd like this. It's an action movie. is it terrible? no. do you probably hate the actors in this? yes.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

equus

it's about a british guy that wants to fuck horses imo.

kingaaronz

Post by kingaaronz »

Just watched Juan of the Dead. Pretty fun but could've made it more original rather than just being a straight up rehash of Shaun of the Dead.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Sleep Tight (2011)
This might be one of the better psychological thrillers I've seen in a while. This Spanish film centres around a psychopathic concierge who finds happiness in bringing about pain and sadness to the residents of an apartment complex. The plot holds some similarities to The Resident but Sleep Tight is stratospherically better. Directed by one half of the the [REC] team, Jaume Balagueró, Sleep Tight is downright creepy from start to finish, thanks largely to an awesome performance by Luis Tosar, as the film's lead, César. Awesome film.

kato

Post by kato »

Spartan wrote:Sleep Tight (2011)
This might be one of the better psychological thrillers I've seen in a while. This Spanish film centres around a psychopathic concierge who finds happiness in bringing about pain and sadness to the residents of an apartment complex. The plot holds some similarities to The Resident but Sleep Tight is stratospherically better. Directed by one half of the the [REC] team, Jaume Balagueró, Sleep Tight is downright creepy from start to finish, thanks largely to an awesome performance by Luis Tosar, as the film's lead, César. Awesome film.

Such a great film.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Yeah, I found it a compelling film throughout.

Maybe there's something in the water in Spain, because the quality of sophisticated thrillers and horror movies in recent years, have been profoundly great.

Comedy Quaddafi

The Hidden Face and Kidnapped are up there with the best ones, but flew under the radar.

Belle de Jour (1967) - Reading about this on the net I realize that pretty much everything went right over my head. Will have to watch again to say anything reasonable about it but I doubt I will make the effort.

The Telephone Box (1970) - This is the best horror-short I have seen, I think. Brilliant use of music and the end is just a hardhitting mindfuck. A must for horror-fans.

Modus Anomali (2013) - This (the one on the right) is the illest movie-poster this side of the bootleg Black Swan-posters. Joko Anwar, who made what I consider to be a modern classic: The Forbidden Door, returns with this dope horror which is meticulously plotted to pull the carpet from under you near the last act. There's some intense scenes that will shock and surprise anyone with a pulse. It's a great spin on the classic hunted vs. hunter survival-subgenre. Only complaint is that he chose to make the film in the English language instead of Indonesian. The supporting characters in particular do not sound natural at all. But Anwar is quickly becoming a real force and one of the better and more original genre-directors around.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter - might be my favorite Hammer of all time, even though it's wildly atypical. Saw it for the first time when I was only 9-10, revisited it every few years since by fortune or design, and every time I re-watch I love it even more. A really different and interesting take on horror conventions, the closest thing to it might be the modern Van Helsing (the one with wolverine) and that's a shit comparison since Kronos is soooo vastly superior. Noticed something new in it last night - there is something about this movie that's VERY reminiscent of spaghetti westerns. Such a shame they never spun this off into a series, the movie seems primed for it.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

After all that and you didn't mention Caroline Munro.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

only because they skimped on the nipple shot which she was clearly game for

BUT:

if you'll have me....

OH... I'LL HAVE YOU.....

#dead

there are really too many great details to mention in this thing... Kronos smoking blunts (literally!) and rocking a katana before it was cool, Hunchback basically telling Munroe she's gotta fuck one of them to earn her keep, the blood dripping of the church bell apropos of nothing, etc etc etc

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

i had a swayze sunday. road house b2b red dawn.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

saw jack and the giant slayer in imax and oz in "real 3d" at an amc

basically, i'd recommend both in those specific formats at least. jack did a great job with the 3d especially on the imax scale. and oz was entertaining as fuck in 3d. neither film is very 'original' but they are shot so beautifully that as long as the acting isn't distracting (which it really wasn't much in either movie), twas good
Nets 2022

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Road to Nowhere (Monte Hellman, 2010) - Monte's long awaited return is thankfully amazing. Its a bit confusing at first, its a movie about a guy filming a movie and the two are intertwined so closely I actually thought I was watching the wrong movie at one point (the first titles in the film are for the movie within the movie). You're never really sure what you're watching is real but its all very enchanting. Very Lynch-ian, shades of Mulhollad Dr.

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil (Eli Craig, 2010) - Best horror comedy since Shaun of the Dead? Love how it turns the backwoods horror genre on its head. Other than a completely unbelievable romance (no way that hot piece from 30 Rock is slumming that low) this hits on all cylinders. Alan Tudyk rarely disappoints.

Assault on Precinct 13 (Jean-Franchois Richet, 2005) - Unheralded but one of the better remakes in recent memory. Carpenters original was always strong on atmosphere but weak in the actual assault, with no real sense of danger and bad guys that lined up to die like ducks at a carnival game. Love the snowy atmosphere and the "anyone can die" lack of sentimental bullshit.

The Brute and the Beast (Lucio Fulci, 1966) - A disappointment only because of the caliber of people involved (Fulci directing, Fernando Di Leo scripting, Franco Nero starring). An above average spaghetti western otherwise. Has a fascination with flying pigeons that predates John Woo, makes you wonder if he ever saw this.

Zero Dark Thirty (Kathryn Bigelow, 2012) - Probably should have won best picture. Can't imagine a better way the subject matter could have been handled.

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas (Todd Strauss-Schulson, 2011) - Funny that the best parts of this movie have nothing to do with the main characters. Neil Patrick Harris's funniest cameo yet and wafflebot rules.

The Big Red One (Samuel Fuller, 1980) - The Reconstruction version. It's hard for me to judge this fairly as Fuller has become a hero of sorts after reading his Autobiography and I know it basically took him his whole life to finally get this made only to have it tampered with by the studio. Its a really good war movie, based on his personal experiences in WWII but it does suffer from an insufficient budget and an overly large scope in general. The reconstruction is certainly an improvement on the theatrical cut but it still feels like its rushing though the motions. Its nothing short of a tragedy that the original long cut is lost forever.

Repo Chick (Alex Cox, 2009) - Terrible. You can almost see what Cox was going for here but ultimately fails miserably. Its a satire except its way too broad in scope, its pop-art look isn't focused in just one style or the other, and most of the cast is not up to the task of rising above the shitty material. The main chick is cute as fuck though.

Hotel Transylvania (Genndy Tartakovsky, 2012) - Ultimately a huge disappointment. Expected big things from Genndy whose TV work as an animator is unmatched, but this is about as generic as a big budget CGI cartoon movie gets. There's rarely a hint of the original animation style that got him famous and the story, despite a few funny moments is pretty cliche as well. Didn't really care for Sandler as dracula either. Sad.

Side by Side (Christopher Kenneally, 2012) - Really great. Surprisingly in-depth, its not just about the film vs. digital debate, but also a lovingly done retrospective on the history of film in general, and the number of talking heads they got in here is extremely impressive (everyone from Scorsese to Lynch). Keanu actually serves as a well-spoken and informed interviewer as well.

Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992) - Re-watch on bluray, one of those movies I love even more everytime I watch it.

Yakuza Graveyard (Kinji Fukasaku, 1976) - Loved loved this. Crazy hard-boiled cop drama clearly influenced by Seijun Suzuki and clearly influencing later genre efforts by Miike and Kitano.

Best Worst Movie (Michael Stephenson, 2009) - The Troll 2 documentary. Entertaining as hell, mostly due to finding out just how bat-shit fucking insane the shop keeper and the mom are now in real-life.

Death Hunt (Peter R. Hunt, 1981) - Greatest movie ever. I love movies where two men who respect the hell out of each other are forced into confrontation by forces outside of their control. This is basically HEAT in the wilderness with Lee Marvin and Charlie Bronson instead of DeNiro/Pacino.

The Thing (Matthijs van Heijningen Jr, 2011) - Well, I didn't completely hate it, which was shocking to me. They ruined everything about the creature (its desire to stay hidden and anonymous) and a lot of the plot points were stupid but you could kinda tell that there probably was a decent movie in there before the studio fucked it all up. Definitely a failure, but it was still kinda nice just to be back in the neighborhood. Thought Winstead did a pretty good job with what she had to work with.

Black Book (Paul Verhoeven, 2006) - Rewatch. Even better than its reputation. Verhoeven is god.

Battlefield Earth (Roger Christian, 2000) - Thought there was no way this could be as bad as its reputation but wow this is probably worse than its reputation. The parts with Travolta and Whitaker are hilariously entertaining but Barry Pepper should not ever be given the lead in an action movie. Dude has about as much charisma as my dick after half a bottle of scotch.

A Trip to the Moon (Georges Melies, 1902) - Every film nerd owes it to themselves to seek out the new color restoration of this. Truly mesmerizing. Some people had a conniption over the new, modern-sounding score they composed for this but I loved it.

Horror Express (Eugenio Martin, 1972) - Chris Lee vs. Peter Cushing vs. Abominable alien snowman loose on a train in the winter. If you need anything more than that to convince you to watch this then you are probably gay. Fantastic, tightly paced film that never lets itself be put in a box and keeps going places you're not expecting it to.

Revolver (Guy Ritchie, 2005) - Dumbest movie I've watched all year, and I watched Battlefield Earth. Some really cool editing in a couple sequences though.

World on a Wire (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973) - All 4 hours of it. Brilliant sci-fi mindfuck by the crazy German. This shit is wayyy ahead of its time, exploring themes of existence and artificial intelligence that wouldn't be explored in such depth in mainstream cinema until decades later in movies like the Matrix and Dark City. The movie is about a programmer who creates an artificial world full of AI humans who think and behave just like real humans; only after a sequence of strange occurences in his own life does he begin to wonder if he too, is an artificial creation living within a computer program. This is a slow burn but worth every minute and deserving of the critical reappraisal its gotten in the last few year.

Grand Hotel (Edmund Goulding, 1932) - I bought this because it was $2 at Big Lots and won best picture. Mostly played on my phone during it.

Iron Sky (Timo Vuorensola, 2012) - No way it could have lived up to the trailers but I was pretty thoroughly entertained by this. Looking for any logic in the plot won't do you any good (they are fucking moon nazis for fuck's sake) but I enjoyed the ride quite well. Looks fantastic considering the budget (I watched Green Lantern just a few days before and this honestly looks better despite the $100 million difference). Cool spaceship designs too. The romantic subplot is fucking awful, but the cast is pretty great, esp Udo Kier and the main heroine who is just sexy as hell. They must have hired the only black guy in Germany though, really miscast. Silly fun, would watch again.

Asylum (Roy Ward Baker, 1972) - Entertaining horror tryptych from Amicus.

Ong Bak 3 (Tony Jaa & Panna Rittikrai, 2010) - Movie looks great, sounds great, has a great score but no fucking plot whatsoever. Shockingly bad considering how good the other elements are.

The Wild Blue Yonder (Werner Herzog, 2005) - Didn't think I'd ever say this about a Herzog movie but this did nothing for me. I like Brad Dourif as much as the next guy but this is basically just him speaking a bunch of nonself into a camera mixed with a bunch of stock footage. Only good things about this were that it was short and it clearly inspired Herzog to go to Antartica to do Encounter at the End of the World.

Roy Colt & Winchester Jack (Mario Bava, 1970) - You wouldn't think Bava would be so adept at comedy considering his rep but this is pretty entertaining.

Sitting Target (Douglas Hickox, 1972) - Lives up to its reputation as one of the great unsung British crime movies. Oliver Reed and a young Ian McShane break out of prison for the sole purpose of killing Reed's hoe-ass wife who got knocked up shortly after he went to prison. Not quite Long Good Friday levels but not far behind it either.

Mr. Mike's Mondo Video (Michael O'Donoghue, 1979) - Basically all the wierd shit that SNL wouldn't let O'Donoghue put on air. Absurd and surreal humor with all the greats from the original SNL Cast (murray, akroyd, gilda, etc). The first skit is literally just O'Donoghue throwing cats in a swimming pool in slow motion. If that sounds funny to you, you will love this. I did.

Rad (Hal Needham, 1986) - Used to watch this a ton as a kid. Lots of fun. Has a young Lori Loughlin lookin sexy as hell doing wheelies. Also has one of the greatest prom dances of all time (yes they have a dance-off on BMX bikes). Lots of great cameos by some of the early BMX greats too. Someone needs to put this out on dvd already.

Tokyo! (Michel Gondry, Leos Carax & Joon-ho Bong, 2008) - Utter shit saved by the Joon-ho Bong segment. This is supposed to be a tribute to the city, but Gondry's segment makes fuck-all sense (spoiler alert, a girl turns into a fucking chair!) and Carax's segment is interesting for the first 5 minutes before it turns rather hateful towards its subject matter. Bong seems to be the only one with any real knowledge of Japanese culture and has anything worthwhile to say.

The Campaign (Jay Roach, 2012) - Pretty good. Follows the Will Ferrell comedy template really closely, there are major gags from Old School and Talladega literally just transplanted right into this. Laughed a lot though.

Alligator (Lewis Teague, 1980) - After recently marathoning the entire Get A Life series, I've developed an intense desire to hatefuck the shit out of Chris Elliot's best friend's wife, Robin Riker. So I dug this up because I heard she had a sex scene in it (which was unfornately not gloss-worthy). Regardless, this is one of the better gator horror flicks, starring Robert Forster who is his usual awesome self. The scenes where the gator is loose in the city gets silly at times but the sewer scenes are fantastic and the finale where a bunch of faggy socialites get their comeuppance when the gator terrorizes their fancy party is tons of fun.

The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011) - Fucking magical. Most ambitious film since Enter the Void and Malick succeeds wonderfully. Pretty insane how grand a scale he achieves and yet keeps it all dialed into something so personal and relatable. Despite some heavyhanded symbolism at the end it thankfully avoids Lost levels of sillyness. I could actually see how someone could use it as an argument for faith just as much as it could be an argument against it. Really really beautiful film filled with tons of moments of "how the fuck did they film that", Emmanuel Lubezki clearly is one of the greatest DPs in the game right now. Plus there's fucking dinosaurs and Jessica Chastain has furniture in her vagina.

That mostly catches me up to the beginning of the year as far as shit worth saying something about. Going to try to keep up this time, I swear.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

1985 double feature

Malibu Express (Andy Sidaris, 1985) - Finally cracked open the Andy Sidaris dvd set, certainly did not disappoint. Sidaris's approach to women in film is commendable, and basically boils down to if the character is female, find an excuse to get her naked regardless of whether it makes sense or not (for example, the main character wanders into a desert junkyard and ends up getting raped by a playmate). The lead dude is hilariously douchey and they play it up by having him play a private investigator packing an enormous pistol, who badly quotes Dirty Harry and couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Enemy Mine (Golfwang Peterson, 1985) - This movie's always been a bit of a silly guilty pleasure for me. Alien Lou Gosset Jr speaking gibberish and the like and a young Dennis Quaid trying his damnedest to keep the "race in space" drama grounded. The blu-ray transfer for this is pretty fantastic though. I've never seen it off cable tv before and it was like watching a different movie. Actually a pretty great looking mid-budget scifi. Not sure its worth the $30 Twilight Time price tag but whatever.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Don't think the Abeline fam are in all of Sidaris' films, but it's a constant running gag that they're all terrible shots.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Night of the Werewolf (1981)
Other than about half a dozen or so of his films, I still consider myself a relative newjack when it comes to Paul Naschy's work, this is still my favorite, though. The plot is pretty wacky and the shoddy editing give the impression chunks of the movie are missing. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, however. This is a fine gothic horror that rekindles a lot of the magic from an earlier time, particularly late era Hammer. Maybe my fave Naschy flick I've seen to date.

Mill of the Stone Women (1960)
Appears at first hand like a fairly unimposing costumed melodrama, but the whole macabre concept is similar to House of Wax, perhaps more twisted. The finale was pretty fucking creepy. Sofia Loren lookalike, Scilla Gabel, was incredibly hot in this.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

The Island of Dr. Moreau [director's cut, 96] -- hadn't seen this since theaters, it's batshit and awful of course, but that brief amount of time in which kilmer is doing brando as moreau justified watching it again.
(& still amazed fairuza balk was ever a real thing)
moved by duck muscles

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

just watched

end of watch

life of pi

end of watch was an enjoyable 3/5 movie that i would watch again. kudos to pena...dude comes off authentic as fuck in every movie he's had a serious role in (and still kills it with a ridiculous character like that of observe & report)

life of pi was incredible to me. i mean i understand the merits of argo but this movie is so much more "important", the story is so much better-crafted, the characters are so much more easy to invest in...

yea i cried.
Nets 2022

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The most disturbing film I've ever seen. Disgusting on every level of disgusting.

Surprised at how much I liked this; that chick is the business. Perfect male lead, too.

Effing sweet; Oldman is the tits. It even makes Colin Firth tolerable.

Mad at myself for enduring this entire lame-o white trash soliloquy.

Good first half, terrible second.

Surreal and seriously powerful documentary.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the imposter -- holy fuuuuuuuuu, on an abundance of levels. would have added a few more uuuuuuuuuuu's had this story been told by a more capable crew. however, still incredible
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Looper (2012)
Great sci-fi concept on paper, but I really struggled to get into this. Might have been because Bruce Willis was playing second fiddle to JGL. Will give it another watch and see if my misgivings are still there. For some reason, I was expecting a shit ton of action.

Mask Maker (2010)
Pretty competent mash-up of Friday The 13th's early story arcs but with a supernatural Leatherface villain. Completely formulaic from start to finish, but I enjoyed it, including the hilariously bad green screen scenes.

Bunnyman (2011)
Wow! Ridiculously bad but entertaining movie. Don't think I've seen such a retarded movie like this in quite a while.

The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974)
This Italian slow burner was awesome. Takes it's time to unfold but once you witness the finale, it pieces together superbly. Very underrated horror flick.

Cassadega (2011)
Meh.

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

The Bay (2012) - Hate. That reporter bitch had the worst voice ever, and yes she did have not-good thunder thighs in those god awful tan khakis. I checked her imdb, she does voice acting, literally employed via her worst attribute.

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) - I use flixster to keep ratings on likes/dislikes, and I gave the original 2/5 stars, but thinking back I think of it as better than that. Read a few interesting things about how the writer of the first one killed someone in a DUI so he couldn't write this one, and how this one's budget was 40% the original. This movie could have been saved if at the ending (yes spoilers) as the two kids were hitching their ride out of town, we pan and shift focus to the History Channel's American Pickers duo driving into Silent Hill, on their never-ending quest for "Rusty Gold", and stopping into a building to investigate only to meet that triangle head guy.

Jack Reacher (2012) - Super super average. Oozes an underwhelming 90's action vibe.