Let's Discuss Potential Movie Purchases/Viewings

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Let's Discuss Potential Movie Purchases/Viewings

Post by drizzle »

Has anybody seen this one?

I don't think I've ever heard of it, reviews are uneven - ranging from calling it a straight up fail on Ashby's part to a good effort that was ruined by shitty studio re-cuts to an interesting but flawed piece of 80s neo(n) noir to a straight up lost masterpiece

usually in cases like this the middle opinions are the closest to true, so probably it's probably something with good elements that doesn't quite gel

The talent on hand is what really got me stuck though - Ashby, Stone, Bridges playing a damaged alkie detective, Andy Garcia playing a scarface-esque coke dealer - there's a lot of potential here.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ohhhh shit
***MORE TITLES HEADING YOUR WAY!!!***
Here’s the list of upcoming films we literally just announced at Comic-Con tonight:

JOHN CARPENTER’S ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 (Collector’s Edition) – The original classic siege thriller is intensified further with all-new ‘Scream’-produced extras. (Nov 2012)

EVE OF DESTRUCTION – The 1991 Gregory Hines android-gone-amok sci-fi thriller hits Blu and anamorphic widescreen for the first time.

SATURN 3 – This post-Alien 1980 Kirk Douglas and Farrah Fawcett vs. Evil Robot flick gets a considerable upgrade to Blu-ray for the first time. New extras planned. (Dec 2012)

DARKMAN (Collector’s Edition) – The 1990 Sam Raimi cult classic gets the full on ‘Scream’ treatment with all new extras. (Dec 2012)

SCREAM FACTORY “TV TERRORS” –Two made-for-TV movies - 1978’s THE INITIATION OF SARAH and ARE YOU IN THE HOUSE ALONE? – will be packaged together on DVD for the first time at a good price. Fans have been asking us if we could exploit more of this made-for TV content so consider this an “experiment”. If this sells well, we would love to look into bringing you a “Volume 2”. (Dec 2012)

CAT PEOPLE (Collector’s Edition) – The 1982 feline flick (with Nastassja Kinski, sex, violence and a great David Bowie single) arrives on Blu for the first time with all-new extras (2014.)
Plus they are putting out Nightbreed: the Cabal Cut

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ohshit i remember saturn 3 from when i was like 8

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

FYI...i just copped TT BODY DOUBLE in haist since they mentioned that they sold out and that TCM still had a few copies left...

SAE is now claiming they still have some in stock, so I swooped in and grabbed mine. DONT SLEEP.

ian e

Post by ian e »

drizzle wrote:Has anybody seen this one?

I watched it some time ago. I'd say "interesting but flawed piece if 80s neo noir" nails it. Bridges and Garcia are great, but the script leaves something to be desired... as does the production design.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Picked this up today. Never seen it, but heard great things about it. Seemed like a decent price.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

very solid noir, def worth 5$

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:very solid noir, def worth 5$

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Shout now has rights to mad Herzogz

http://criterioncast.com/news/shout-fac ... ollection/

Dan

Post by Dan »

Breaking Bad - The Complete Series (November 26, 2013)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment cooks up a full batch on Nov. 26 when BREAKING BAD: THE COMPLETE SERIES comes to Blu-ray™ in its entirety. One of the most explosive series ever to air on television, the 16-disc set is this year’s must-have gift for the holiday season, complete with all 62 episodes and more than 55 hours of special features. Starring three-time Emmy® winner Bryan Cranston (Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series) alongside two-time Emmy® winner Aaron Paul (Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series), the critically acclaimed drama from Sony Pictures Television boasts one of television’s most radical storylines, giving viewers a glimpse into the life of how far a man might go in order to take care of the ones he loves. “Bryan Cranston is still turning in a transformative, unimpeachable performance as Walt, who remains one of the greatest dramatic creations ever to grace our TV screens,” hails USA Today’s Robert Bianco.

Fans who are addicted to the series and itching for another hit can now indulge in more than two-hours of never-before-seen footage in a ground-breaking series documentary exclusively in the box set, which comes packaged in a collectible replica barrel representing part of Walter White’s dark legacy. The all-new documentary chronicles the making of the final season, from filming the first table read to the very last day on set and everything in between, including Bryan Cranston inviting the camera in to his Albuquerque living room for the first reading of the final script with Aaron Paul. The box set also contains all bonus features from previously released seasons (including retail exclusives formerly only available in select stores), a Los Pollos Hermanos apron and a collectible booklet with a letter from Gilligan, as well as a commemorative Breaking Bad challenge coin designed and created by Gilligan exclusively for this set as a token of appreciation to fans for making the Breaking Bad journey.

BREAKING BAD: THE COMPLETE SERIES Barrel Set Special Features Include:

· No Half Measures: Creating the Final Season of Breaking Bad - An all-new, exclusive two hour documentary that chronicles the filming of the final eight episodes.

Additional bonus features include all previously released featurettes and retail exclusives:

· Bad Memories – Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul talk about the show ending and some of their favorite moments.

· Bryan Cranston: Director – Go on set with Bryan Cranston as he directs the first episode of the season entitled "Blood Money."

· Scene Envy – The Cast tell us which scene they wish they could have been in.

· Shocking Moments - The stars reveal the moments that shocked them most.

· From Walt to Heisenberg – From high school teacher to deadly meth dealer, watch as Walter White quickly transforms into Heisenberg.

· How Will It End? – At the beginning of the season, the cast was asked to give their thoughts on how they thought the show would end.

· Avenging Agent: Dean Norris as Hank Schrader -- A look at the character Hank Schrader and the man who played him, Dean Norris.

· Scene Stealer: Betsy Brandt as Marie Schrader – A look at the character Marie Schrader and the woman who plays her, Betsy Brandt.

· A Criminal Attorney: Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman –A look at the character Saul Goodman and the man who played him, Bob Odenkirk.

· Jesse’s Journey: Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman – A look at the character Jesse Pinkman and the man who played him, Aaron Paul.

· Skyler Breaks Bad: Anna Gunn on Season Four – Actress Anna Gunn and series creator Vince Gilligan explore Skyler’s character evolution through the fourth season.

· Growing Up in the White House: RJ Mitte on Walter, Jr. – RJ Mitte, Anna Gunn, Bryan Cranston and series creator Vince Gilligan discuss the extraordinary dynamics of the White family, and Walter, Jr.’s unique role.

· The Ultimate Chess Match – Members of the cast and crew discuss Walter White and Gus Fring’s extraordinary and complicated battle of wits and their struggle for Jesse’s allegiance.

· Looking Back: A Season Four Retrospective - Season Four’s most surprising and memorable moments.

· Ted's Wipeout – In Episode 411, “Crawl Space,” Ted Beneke suffers a head injury while trying to escape from Saul’s goons. In this featurette, Christopher Cousins (Ted) explains how this shocking stunt was accomplished.

· The Truck Attack Storyboard Comparison – A side-by-side comparison of the Los Pollos Hermanos truck attack and the brilliant shot-by-shot storyboards that were created for the episode “Bullet Points.”

· Walt and the Challenger Storyboard Comparison – A side-by-side comparison of the sequence where Walt indulges in some crazy stunt driving in Walt Jr.’s Dodge Challenger and the storyboards that were created.

In addition to releasing the complete set on Blu-ray, SPHE will release BREAKING BAD: THE FINAL SEASON on both Blu-ray and DVD with UltraViolet™ on Nov. 26. The final season includes the series’ final eight episodes and is loaded with special features, including all-new featurettes, cast and crew commentaries, deleted scenes and more. Episodes include: Blood Money, Buried, Confessions, Rabid Dog, To’hajiilee, Ozymandias, Granite State and Felina.

BREAKING BAD: THE FINAL SEASON Blu-ray Includes:

· “Blood Money” Table Read – A rare look at the only final season Breaking Bad table read.

BREAKING BAD: THE FINAL SEASON Blu-ray & DVD Include:

· Cast and Crew Commentaries on Every Episode

· 4 Featurettes

o The Main Event

o The Final Showdown

o Life of a Show Runner

o Behind-the-Scenes of the Alternate Ending

· Alternate Ending – A 3-minute alternate version of how Breaking Bad could have ended.

· Deleted & Extended Scenes

· Gag Reel

· Walt’s Confession

· The Layers of a Sound Mix

· Over 15 Episodes of Inside Breaking Bad

· Uncensored and Extended Episodes

Broadcast Year: 2013 (AMC)

BREAKING BAD: THE COMPLETE SERIES has a run time of approximately 2,949 minutes and is not rated.

BREAKING BAD: THE FINAL SEASON has a run time of approximately 390 minutes and is not rated.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Image
don't even do that to me like that no fucking way this actually exists
yo drizzy, this shit is just 8.99 on Amazon right now. copped.

http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-III-Dominat ... =ninja+iii

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

darkwingduck wrote:Image

FYI...i just copped TT BODY DOUBLE in haist since they mentioned that they sold out and that TCM still had a few copies left...

SAE is now claiming they still have some in stock, so I swooped in and grabbed mine. DONT SLEEP.
Arrow are releasing this too. So far all of Arrow's De Palma Blu-Rays have been stellar, and I'd rather give my cash to them than those limited print run motherfuckers over at TT.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh nice thanks for the heads up

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

On a big MST3K kick once again. Anyone suggest whee to get the Shout Factory releases cheap?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

About once every three months or so, Amazon will randomly drop the price on most of the sets to below $30. I have about ten of them and never spent more than that on any of them. Never seen them anywhere cheaper.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the Voice gave this a surprsingly giddy review, heaping praise of 'this is how you do a dumb bmovie right' variety. It looks like Lord of The Rings done on a Spartacus budget. Also reminiscent of that one Uwe Boll movie where Ray Liotta is an evil wizard, but with more kungfu and less Ray Liotta. I'm so all in on it.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-10-02/film/vikingdom/

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

yessssss

Grindhouse Releasing will bring to Blu-ray director Sergio Sollima's The Big Gundown a.k.a La resa dei conti (1966), starring Lee Van Cleef, Tomas Milian, and Luisa Rivelli. The release will be available for purchase online and in stores across the nation on December 10th.

Synopsis: Jonathan Corbett is a gunman so brave to have eliminated all the bandits of Texas. For this he is proposed for the candidacy to the Senate of the United States. In exchange he has only to support the construction of one railway line. Only after he accepts does he come to know that the Mexican Cuchillo has raped and killed a 12 year old girl. Corbett leaves on a long manhunt during which he gets to know his adversary better and discovers a variation on the crime for which the accused Cuchillo may not be as guilty as he first thought.

Special Features:
Four Disc Deluxe Limited Edition Combo Pack - Two Blu-rays, One DVD And One Bonus CD
Individually Numbered And Limited To 3000 Copies
Spectacular New 2K Digital Restoration Of The Original Uncensored English Language Version, Newly Expanded With Three Additional Scenes
LA RESA DEI CONTI - The Complete, 110 Minute Director's Cut Presented In Italian With Optional English Bubtitles And Special Musical Subtitles
Bonus CD - THE BIG GUNDOWN - Original Soundtrack By Ennio Morricone
Compelling In-Depth Interviews With Director Sergio Sollima, Star Tomas Milian And Screenwriter Sergio Donati (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST)
Audio Commentary By Western Film Experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke
Liner Notes By C. Courtney Joyner And Euro-Music Expert Gergely Hubai
Extensive Still Galleries, Trailers And TV Spots
And Other Surprises...

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

My latest haul:

Blu-ray:
Escape from LA
K-19: The Widowmaker
The Green Berets
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Absolute Power
Black Snake Moan
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
The Island
The Gauntlet
Election

DVD:
The Three Godfathers
Day For Night
The Asphalt Jungle
Home From the Hill
Before Night Falls
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
The Sea Wolves
Payday
Zabriskie Point
Hot Rods to Hell
Havoc
The Butcher Boy
Diner
The Blackboard Jungle
The War of the Worlds
Looker
Reunion in France
Freaks
Coneheads
The Gambler
A Simple Plan
Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned
Battleground
Bullet
The Gift
4 for Texas
Nevada Smith
The Hunter
The Mack
McQ
You Must Remember This: WB Story
El Dorado
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead
I Confess
The Changeling
Surf Ninjas
The Hunger
Casshern
Over the Edge
North Star
The Witches
Quick Change
The Wind and the Lion
The Time Machine
Telefon/St. Ives
The Mosquito Coast
Operation Crossbow
Merrill's Marauders
The Macon County Line
The Thing From Another World
King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

http://drafthousefilms.com/blog/entr...olsters-ms.-45

Drafthouse Films Unholsters Ms. 45

At Drafthouse Films we're huge admirers of Abel Ferrara, so there's no greater pleasure for us than announcing our acquisition of the North American rights to Ferrara’s 1981 revenge thriller classic Ms. 45. The film follows a mute garment-district seamstress – played by the late model/actress/musician/screenwriter Zoë Lund – who, after falling victim to multiple unspeakable assaults, ignites a one-woman homicidal rampage against New York City’s entire male population. Now remastered in HD from the original negative materials, Ms. 45 returns to theaters this December and will debut on DVD and Blu-ray uncut for the first time in North America early next year.

The fiercely independent auteur Abel Ferrara debuted with his infamous 1979 D.I.Y. cult classic The Driller Killer, which established his signature fusion of NYC, despair, calculated stylish flourishes and idiosyncratic humor. Two years later, his follow-up feature Ms. 45 starred the then 18-year-old Zoë Lund, and explored similar themes while executing a uniquely feminist entry in the urban revenge subgenre. In Brad Stevens’ biography “Abel Ferrara: The Moral Vision”, Ferrara recalls of the film, “it shook people up to see an innocent person like themselves suddenly becoming a wanton murderer.” Combining the rampaging angst of 1976’s Death Wish and Roman Polanski’s surreal, post-traumatic Repulsion, Ms. 45 returns from the cult underground over 30 years later to reclaim its title as perhaps the most shocking, complex and empowering vigilante film of the 1980s.

“One of the primary missions with Drafthouse Films is to build a selection of films which destroy the barriers between 'art-house' and 'grindhouse," says our Creative Director Evan Husney, "and Abel Ferrara's work embodies just that. Ms. 45 is one of those fringe ‘80s films that has been somewhat marginalized as pure exploitation, so we are beyond thrilled to reintroduce it to a new audience of cinephiles."
:cheers:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

New Twilight Time schedule....pretty happy that Zulu and Thunderbolt are getting released finally. Man in the Dark sounds interesting too.
New releases for Jan/Feb 2014:

KHARTOUM (1966) BLU-RAY - Jan 21st (from the 65 mm elements)

ZULU (1963) BLU-RAY - Jan 22nd (on the 50th anniversary of the film's premiere, and the 135th anniversary of the battle of Rorke's Drift)

TITUS (1999) BLU-RAY - Jan 21st

MAN IN THE DARK (1953) 3D - Jan 21st

CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS (1989) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE FRONT (1975) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE BLUE MAX (1966) BLU-RAY - Feb 11th

THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY (1956) - Feb 11th

Dan

Post by Dan »

Woody Allen day on February 11th. Looks like Crimes and Misdemeanors will be my first Twilight purchase.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

What's the deal with All The Boys Love Mandy Lane? Heard (no Amber) about this movie for years, it's now finally getting a limited release.

Somethign about the trailer makes me think there's gonna be a corny twist at the end where she was the killer all along.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

It's one of the better new slashers. Nothing revolutionary but good fun all the way through.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Not sure where else to put this, but Amazon upping their mininum for free shipping seriously ruined my morning.
Order with Free Shipping by Amazon

If your order is $35 or more, you may qualify for free shipping. With free shipping, your order will be delivered 5-8 business days after all of your items are available to ship, including pre-order items.

Note: Amazon free shipping changed on October 21, 2013. Read more about it.
To place an order online, do the following: 1. Add at least $35 of eligible products to your Shopping Cart.

Note: Eligible items will display "FREE Shipping" next to their price. Product Bundles and items sold separately qualify independently for the $35 minimum purchase.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh man never heard of htis but it looks bomb

WHEN THE RAVEN FLIES

http://anthologyfilmarchives.org/film_s ... wing-41663

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I follow drafthouse on twitter and have been checking out everything they have been posting about it. Can't wait to check it out.

:icedit:

The soundtrack is pretty amazing. I have been trying o get a copy.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Copped the Code Red release of The Visitor a couple of years back.

Don't get your hopes up! The Visitor is pretty boring even though it briefly has Franco Nero as alien Jesus and John Houston wandering about on roof-tops. Franco Micallizzi's soundtrack on the other hand is dope. I can up it for you, Random, if you want.

Speaking of soundtracks. I've avoided Death Waltz's hipster vinyl OST reissues, but I couldn't pass this up:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Spartan wrote:Franco Micallizzi's soundtrack on the other hand is dope. I can up it for you, Random, if you want.
I have it on MP3, but I have been trying to track down an original vinyl copy. Pretty rare record. goes for about $75 on eBay usually. Thanks anyways though.

We should make a thread of movie soundtracks to share.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hello, first purchase of 2014.