Official Breaking Bad Season 5 Thread.

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

perlman

Post by perlman »

I thought it was a great way to open the season. Mike continues being the man. His non stop zingers had me rolling. "I do not see Miller Time as a possible out come." Saul was also hilarious. Fuck Ted.

What is up with that cold opening? Seemed like Walt had Cancer again, and had hair, so probably wasn't fucking with treatment and seemed to be going on a Scarface like suicide mission.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Dap

Post by Dap »

In the future scene he has no wedding ring on. I predict skyler dies soon

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I knew Gus liked that dick.

alpha

Post by alpha »

that was established last season :lastweek:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Well yea, but it was cemented this season.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Philaflava wrote:Well yea, but it was cemented this season.
Pun.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

So glad Mike is still alive.

Wonder who that girl he was talking to in the previews, maybe a niece of Hector's?

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

wait...what? I think I missed all of that...or just forgot about it...

And also - I'm having trouble remembering what it was they saw written on the picture in the evidence room.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

siLLy KiD wrote:

And also - I'm having trouble remembering what it was they saw written on the picture in the evidence room.
Swiss bank account info I think.

Dap

Post by Dap »

siLLy KiD wrote:

cayman islands routing number for a bank account

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

^^I'm assuming he had copies of the surveillance discs along with a bunch of other incriminating shit on Walt & co. in a safebox in cayman.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

That was fun. The magnets were great. The cancer is back. Walt in his new role as Lucifer is a lil over the top for my taste though.

PEACE

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Really good start to the season, loved the magnet caper. Who knew it was so easy to sneak into a police station though? Whatever, not bitching.

Now that the loose ends seem to be wrapped up a bit it will be interesting to see where things go from here. They're clearly setting us up for a big finish with the M60 in the trunk. What's going on in New Hampshire I wonder?

Only 8 episodes sucks, but it's going to be a great two months.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

jamrage wrote: Only 8 episodes sucks, but it's going to be a great two months.
8 episodes, short break, 8 more episodes if i'm not mistaken

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

peanut butter wrote:That was fun. The magnets were great. The cancer is back. Walt in his new role as Lucifer is a lil over the top for my taste though.

PEACE
i think it's refreshing and works well. Especially since this is the final season. We've seen Walt transform so much throughout the seasons. He is a bonafied murderer, child poisoner, and drug kingpin now. You can't just go back to being a humble, scared science teacher after going through all that shit.

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Does anyone else think it's weird that the laptop went right from Gus' office to an evidence locker? Wouldn't the police explore the contents of the computer before filing it away?

It's kind of ridiculous that Walt and company are confident that they're in the clear.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Money Daniels wrote:Does anyone else think it's weird that the laptop went right from Gus' office to an evidence locker? Wouldn't the police explore the contents of the computer before filing it away?

It's kind of ridiculous that Walt and company are confident that they're in the clear.
it seems like only walt is confident that they are in the clear and he has been guilty of hubris time and time again.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

a couple things- in terms of looking on the laptop, they'd need to get a warrant first to look at the contents of the laptop. they can't just look on it without getting court approval to do so. it wouldn't be hard to get court approval to investigate the contents of the laptop considering he was murdered, in an attempt to find evidence of people who would want to kill him, but procedurally, they have to follow the proper steps.

also, i think theres a nearly year long break between the two sets of 8 episodes. i dont think we'll be seeing the last 8 episodes any time soon.

last thought- do you guys think the m60 in the trunk and walt with a full head of hair will be in the 8th episode of the 16 or in the 16th episode?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

samdoom wrote:a couple things- in terms of looking on the laptop, they'd need to get a warrant first to look at the contents of the laptop. they can't just look on it without getting court approval to do so. it wouldn't be hard to get court approval to investigate the contents of the laptop considering he was murdered, in an attempt to find evidence of people who would want to kill him, but procedurally, they have to follow the proper steps.
there's also teh fact that they have his house, and the burned lab and who knows what else to look through, and they're not particularly in a hurry since he's already dead. it's not like this is the laptop they were looking for all along to make their case, it's just another piece of evidence among hundreds of others

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I was thinkin about that episode and the title "Live Free or Die."

Obviously its on the license plate of the New Hampshire that the gun was in, as well as the motto of the state that Walt told the waitress he was from.

But I was wondering what other kind of significance the title may have. Such as the fact that in the episode Walt, was offered a free meal, and still opted to pay $100 for it. And how his determination to "win," or collect more power and money, is ultimately costing him his freedom.

It also got me thinking that no character in the show is free. Jesse is probably the closest one to it, but even he feels a sense of obligation to Walt. Mike spent the better part of the episode telling him to leave, and Jesse repeatedly refused. It will be interesting to see if that might change...

I just wonder what significance, or any, this title and theme might have in foreshadowing which characters will make it out alive.

PEACE

Dap

Post by Dap »

someone else mentioned that the 52 looks like the symbol for omega (meaning the end)

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Dap wrote:Image

someone else mentioned that the 52 looks like the symbol for omega (meaning the end)

from teh first episode

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Anyone else think that the big magnet was a metaphor for Walter White and how he sucks people in, they can't get away from him, and he eventually destroys them (or at the very least hurts them). I feel like it makes sense because of the final two scenes with Saul and Skyler.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i think you're reading too much into that

similar logic would suggest that the sand from the etchesketch they used to steal the chemicals in season 1 or 2 was a metaphor for walt using his scientific knowledge to break into the drug dealing game

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

idk, people also said i read too much into what I thought was a metaphor for the death of Walter White in Season 4 but eventually was proven right in a Sepinwall interview with Vince Gilligan.

(hopes for another Sepinwall/Gilligan interview in the near future)

Dap

Post by Dap »

drizzle wrote:
Dap wrote:Image

from teh first episode
i get that part, but its the way the 2 is slanted that makes it look like the omega symbol. definitely probably reading too much into it. but with this show you never know.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

jamrage wrote: Now that the loose ends seem to be wrapped up a bit it will be interesting to see where things go from here. They're clearly setting us up for a big finish with the M60 in the trunk. What's going on in New Hampshire I wonder?
I missed the first minute of the episode, but Sepinwall's review mentions that Walt is at a Denny's in Albuquerque, passing himself off as a visitor from New Hampshire.

My comment on the last page echoes PB's Lucifer sentiment.
Walt may have done some big things, but he is not a big man.
I believe the transformation to evil is supposed to be an internal one, not of becoming some sort of kingpin.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

i think he's just riding the confidence boost from beating gus, it's not actually supposed to be very convincing. jesse didn't even look too convinced at the whole 'because i say so' thing.

remember how awkward his other attempts at being boss were?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yeah I felt like the alternate title of that episode could have been: "Because I Said So..."

PEACE