BOOKS. whatcha readin...?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

alpha

Post by alpha »

read "raw shark texts" a couple years ago. really enjoyed it.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

alpha wrote:read "raw shark texts" a couple years ago. really enjoyed it.
Same. Really interesting read. The movie is supposedly coming out soon...

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

anyone pick up and finish 11/22/63 yet?
top 3 king imo

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

shorty story collection. knew i was in for the long haul when the third story revolved around a high school phish fan who takes up black magic, to disastrous consequence, in order to prevent his girlfriend from leaving him. went to high school with a goofy kid who shaved notches in his eyebrows named justin taylor so i've been envisioning him crafting all the stories and it ups the entertainment factor quite a bit
moved by duck muscles

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I read the Hunger Games Trilogy. IF that makes me a faggot so be it, but it was awesome. Every time I thought it would devolve into a high school romance triangle it pulled itself out with some amazing death, violence, and mayhem. I thought it was good shit, did anyone else read these?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, bigged them up on here before. started the first one just to kill time , next thing i know i'm discussing kesey with the check out girl at target
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

picked up the first one while doing christmas shopping. havent looked yet.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

They are really good. I'm excited for the movies. They aren't deep or any bullshit like that, they aren't deep or anything but page turners for sure.

ric

Post by ric »

@trademark
:cheers:
survivalist fantasy worlds are pretty sweet. im looking forward to it.

finished belichicks dads book (which was sweet)

now reading:
coach of the year clinics 2005

i got 2005-2011. shit is ridiculously sweet. RIDICULOUSLY SWEET. the hour + long lectures that coaches give to each other boiled down into 5-15 pages + diagrams. the editing is pretty good overall but sometimes not so great.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

finally finishing confederacy of dunces after about 10 starts and stops.

jumping into zombie spaceship wasteland by patton oswalt. and then i will finally get into my kindle.

theman213

Post by theman213 »

Reading The Rise & Fall of EMI. Great book if you're interested in the music business and history.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

First presented in Freakonomics, the story of a young sociologist who embedded himself in Chicago's most notorious gang and captured the world's attention. Gang Leader for a Day is the fascinating full story of how Sudhir Venkatesh gained entrance into the lives of a group of drug-dealers and went on to witness-and participate in-events that have rarely been described in print. A brazen, page-turning, and fundamentally honest view of the morally ambiguous, highly intricate, often corrupt struggle to survive in an urban war zone, it is also an emotional and complicated look at the friendship that develops between the sociologist and a gang leader, two ambitious men a universe apart.
Finished this earlier this morning. Cool read.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

In Game Change, John Heilemann and Mark Halperin, two of the countryג€™s leading political reporters, use their unrivaled access to pull back the curtain on the Obama, Clinton, McCain, and Palin campaigns.

Based on hundreds of interviews with the people who lived the story, Game Change is a reportorial tour de force that reads like a fast-paced novel. Character-driven and dialogue-rich, replete with extravagantly detailed scenes, itג€™s an intimate portrait of some of the most powerful and fascinating figures in American lifeג€”the occasionally shocking, often hilarious, ultimately definitive account of the campaign of a lifetime.
Finished this, too. Remarkably boring.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Employee wrote:Image
First presented in Freakonomics, the story of a young sociologist who embedded himself in Chicago's most notorious gang and captured the world's attention. Gang Leader for a Day is the fascinating full story of how Sudhir Venkatesh gained entrance into the lives of a group of drug-dealers and went on to witness-and participate in-events that have rarely been described in print. A brazen, page-turning, and fundamentally honest view of the morally ambiguous, highly intricate, often corrupt struggle to survive in an urban war zone, it is also an emotional and complicated look at the friendship that develops between the sociologist and a gang leader, two ambitious men a universe apart.
Finished this earlier this morning. Cool read.
I read this a while back. Thought it was decent. I read the hunger game book in jail. County really stepped their library game up recently. There was a decent percentage of books that actually had all the pages. But yeah, back to the hunger games, I really enjoyed it. I actually literally couldn't put it down and read the whole thing in one sitting. Since they never turn the lights all the way off you can read all night and I tore through it. Kind of a battle royale vibe. I'm a big fan of dystopian future type settings and this fell in to that sub-genre, IMO. Went to the library to try to find the second one and there was literally 792 holds on the 4 copies the library has.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Just finished Life of Pi, have moved on to this:

Good so far.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Narrated by a child whose Dad runs a Mexican drug cartel. Brilliant, but very short. Read it over a couple of tube rides to work. Still well worth a look though.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Just finished this:

Pretty harsh read but well written, probably gonna read a few more of Goines' books.

Just starting this:

Love the movies, ready to see where the inspiration came from.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

If anyone can recommend something by Japanese authors that would be cool. The only one who appears to be really popular in the West is Haruki Murakami but I'm not sure if it's my thing, maybe I should give him a shot but I like to read something a bit more lowbrow and crazy.

This guy is the jap Poe. Very crazy short stories. The famous pick is the story of a guy who develops a fetish for locking himself up inside a chair.

Pretty cool urban ghost story in typical Japanese style. Psychological suspense kind of thing.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

deepfriedjellol wrote:anyone pick up and finish 11/22/63 yet?
top 3 king imo
I just finished it. It's pretty damn good. I liked it as much as I liked any non-horror king book that I've read, which is to say a lot. It got a little soggy in the middle, with the high school kids and the stage play stuff, but it pulled through in the end and was really enjoyable. I've been recommending it to everyone.

Currently reading Steve Jobs' biography and liking him less with every chapter (I'm still in the early chapters and he really takes advantage of Wozniak before they finally take off to superstardom).

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

Just finished these 2. Both really good, quick reads.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

and Limits Of Liberty by James Buchanan

ric

Post by ric »

@wizeguy
if youre on a blues streak i recommend:
Blues People by LeRoi Jones
The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax (i think there is a pbs documentary associated with this as well)

Trademark wrote:I read the Hunger Games Trilogy. IF that makes me a faggot so be it, but it was awesome. Every time I thought it would devolve into a high school romance triangle it pulled itself out with some amazing death, violence, and mayhem. I thought it was good shit, did anyone else read these?
just finished the first one last night. had 6 hours to kill so i read it all at once because, you know, the whole book is one giant sequence of events.

good stuff though. sometimes i was :roll: but other than that, highly enjoyable. as one of the quotes on the back of the book points out, it is very well paced.

im getting the others today. and will probably read one of them in full

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

ric wrote:@wizeguy
if youre on a blues streak i recommend:
Blues People by LeRoi Jones
The Land Where the Blues Began by Alan Lomax (i think there is a pbs documentary associated with this as well)
Thanks for the recommendations. I have already read Blues People. Great book. I'm gonna check out the other one.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ric wrote:im getting the others today. and will probably read one of them in full
i'd rank em
so, you got good times ahead

went and copped that alan zweibel/dave berry book after listening to the dave berry unmasked. only 1/4 of the way through but it's pert good. pert funny
moved by duck muscles

ric

Post by ric »

:cheers: all around
i didnt get the other hunger games books because theyre not out in paperback yet.

so i started reading tinker tailor soldier spy.
holy shit. im 9 chapters in and its clear this is going to be one of the best books ive ever read.
im going to get the the trilogy soon.
lecarre fans: how is the constant gardener? how are some of the other ones? i expect very good but are there any aside from the trilogy that you are inundated with?

Post by 360 »

Started The Wheel of Time.

ric

Post by ric »

@360
please come back with an assessment to confirm or deny what ive heard

Post by 360 »

Sure.

ric

Post by ric »

finished tinker tailor soldier spy yesterday. which was sweet
last night read through
Eaters of The Dead by Michael Crichton (13th Warrior is the movie)

book is different enough from the movie that its worth reading if you want a quick, sweet story. the problem with this book is the footnotes. the italicized asides are fine, but the footnotes are highly problematic and really really get in the way of enjoying the story. i know they have a purpose, but i just dont give a fuck, they dont belong. and they kill the immersion, which is what its all about, really. so try to skip them all together when you read it.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

pretty good read so far.